Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you buy anime merchandise?
Nov 12, 2010 8:23 AM

Sep 2010
I was wondering how many of us err... spend our money on anime-related things? such as pillows, figures, t-shirts & etc? Why though? Do you feel it to be a waste?

lame-desuMay 2, 2012 12:34 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 12, 2010 8:29 AM

Jun 2010
I haven't bought any so far. Although I might buy something if its not too expensive... and totally ftw ;). Haven't seen anything that catches my interest, though.

I'm absolutely buying something at the anime convention next year though :).
Nov 12, 2010 8:36 AM

Mar 2010
I wouldn't mind some if I had the spare cash...I would want some shoes too..but yeah not of K-ON...maybe like Darker Than Black or something...
Never bought a anime video or manga either.

Nov 12, 2010 8:41 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah I got Pokemon stuff.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2010 8:46 AM

Nov 2008
I buy mostly figures (I have 50 figures of assorted sizes bought from conventions, auctions, during trips to Taiwan and Japan, and online) but I also have several Sister Princess plates, several sets of Idol Lami Cards and mugs not to mention a Carina Veretti boob pillow. I also buy anime as well but usually not manga, I'm going to preorder the Gundam 00 movie on blu-ray when Cyber Monday comes. I love to buy crossover mecha titles such as Another Century, Gundam, and Macross video games.

Nov 12, 2010 8:50 AM

Mar 2010
taki-desu said:
Seriousbznz said:
I wouldn't mind some if I had the spare cash...I would want some shoes too..but yeah not of K-ON...maybe like Darker Than Black or something...
Never bought a anime video or manga either.

Really? when i read video i thought of vhs tapes, i actually still have a box of those from way back then when i was kid and bought ranma and all of the old adv things :)
I haven't seen Darker Than Black although i keep telling myself to do so :/

Ahh, I guess I have something like that..but rather it's just recorded VHS tapes of DBZ when I was smaller..but not bought lol, and yeah was referring to all kind of videos...not just VHS. :P

Nov 12, 2010 8:55 AM

Jul 2010
Only anime related merchandise I've ever bought are Gunplas.
Nov 12, 2010 9:03 AM

Mar 2010
Eh...let's just say It's on the line of I'm cheap and I have no money, to give you a idea.. I'm 17 w/o a car and anything that breaks (even electronics) I have to fix my self. Going job hunting today so might get some in the near future. :P

Been wanting those Fairy Tail volumes for a while now.

Nov 12, 2010 9:07 AM

Sep 2010
I'd totally buy daikimura if they weren't so expensive and unsafe for the family lol. It sucks how all the cool figures are only purchasable with certain videogames or expensive DVD bundles in japan :'(.

Nov 12, 2010 9:08 AM

Aug 2008
i have a little bit of stuff. a couple shirts (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Death Note) and then i have an L wallet. ill probably get some more stuff at Ohayocon but i am limited by money
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Nov 12, 2010 9:34 AM

Feb 2010
Well, I have one totally awesome One Piece T-Shirt, but that's also a souvenir from Tokyo so I voted no.
I would be open to cool T-Shirts though, but I'd rather make them myself than buying them somewhere. For example I'd like a T-Shirt with the Laughing man logo from GITS or something like "See you Space Cowboy" or "In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same." on it.
Generally I'd prefer quotes or logos from shows instead of pictures of the characters (though there would be some exceptions to this)
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 12, 2010 9:39 AM

Jun 2010
taki-desu said:
lol i guess then i would be categorized as a spoiled child then since im 18 in my last year of high school and my dad gives me money to spend at conventions ^^ good luck out there~

Seriously? Your super lucky D:. I'm having to save about $200 for the convention, since I'm paying for everything myself =P.
Nov 12, 2010 9:46 AM

Jul 2008
I've bought so many things it looks like my room is the aftermath of an anime bomb exploding lol

On my wall:

- Higurashi no Naku koro ni: L5 Infection T-shirt (<3)
- Death Note x2, Burst Angel, FMA, GITSs, Super Sonico, and Plenair wallscrolls
- TTGL x2, Heroic Age, Disgaea 2, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Emil Chronicle Online and a bunch of small posters
- A bunch of small misc. items I also threw on there

I also have around 17 figurines, the most expensive one being around 100 dollars, the other ranging from 20-80. I would like to buy one thats around 300 $ buuut im broke at the moment lol
Nov 12, 2010 9:52 AM

Jun 2008
Of course. I buy mostly figurines, soundtracks, wall scrolls and posters.
Nov 12, 2010 10:29 AM
Apr 2009
maybe a couple of t-shirts, when there was nothing else that caught my eye... other than that no... I just buy japanese manga, no anime, no english manga, no posters, bizarre figurines (I doubt they make much in the way of these for the stuff I am into anyway), no random decorations... ect.
Nov 12, 2010 10:37 AM

Sep 2007
Only Pokemon merchandise.

I would consider buying a shirt or a poster for something else, but only if it had an appealing design and not just the characters or whatever splayed over it.
Nov 12, 2010 10:40 AM

Dec 2007
Yes, I do. Mainly figurines and phone straps (I collect them, one per con I attend). Also posters, got my first drama cd the other day. DVDs, hah.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 12, 2010 10:42 AM

Apr 2008
Moved to Anime Discussion

Nov 12, 2010 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
other than some dvd's and a little manga all ive bought really is a couple of gunpla gundam models.
Nov 12, 2010 10:54 AM

Aug 2010
Only have a few posters.
Nov 12, 2010 11:32 AM

May 2009
Yes. I love to buy anime stuff when I have the money.

Sadly, I haven't bought anything recently. But I have a couple wall scrolls, two plushes, manga, anime boxsets, a poster, a few keychains and a little pin. I've also had an anime calendar a few years ago. I really want a couple figures, but I don't have the spare cash right now. Lol.
Nov 12, 2010 12:56 PM

Sep 2009
The odd stuff
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Nov 12, 2010 9:33 PM
Feb 2010
I haven't seen any Anime themed Calenders yet but that's probably the most I'll go.
Nov 12, 2010 10:10 PM

Oct 2009
I don't have very much money, and the money I do have I usually prefer to spend on things that are a bit more useful (afterall, I can just download the anime). I'm currently in the process of buying all the Angel Beats! volumes however. I have 5 volumes so far, and will be getting the next two volumes once they come out.
I currently own:

- 5 first press limited release blu-ray edition Angel Beats! volumes
- 5 Centimeters per Second on blu-ray
- ef - a tale of melodies volume 1 on blu-ray (I'm going to get the rest in due time)

I also have a bunch of anime merchandise (magazines, cd's, tapestry's), so, I think for someone who doesn't have a job and doesn't have access to any of this in his country, I'm doing a good job :)

Nov 12, 2010 10:12 PM

Nov 2008
Bought a few wall scrolls a few years back. Never went any further than that.
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO//AMD Ryzen 7 5800X//2x Crucial P3 Plus 2TB NVMe in RAID0//Seagate 6TB Internal HDD//Western Digital 12TB External HDD//Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz CL16 DDR4//Gigabyte Gaming RTX 3080Ti//Cougar Panzer//EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT//Corsair H100i v2//Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q 27" 1440p 165hz//AOC U2790VQ 27" 4k
Nov 12, 2010 10:47 PM

Jan 2008
The only merchandise I buy rather regularly are anime boxsets and collector's editions. Aside from that, I have the 3rd volume of Vampire Knight (bought on a whim) some posters and CDs with random stuff from magazines and loads of Dragon Ball cards (they were added to chips when I was in primary school) and the aforementioned magazines. I usually prefer to make things like calendars or posters by myself instead of buying them, but I'd happily buy some OSTs and figurines of fav characters if they weren't so expensive and/or unavailable in my area/country.

@Higashi_no_Kaze: Nothing stops you from making custom t-shirts and other clothes with anime themes (I made two t-shirts in the past - one with the Laughing Man logo and one with KonoSetsu shipping. Sadly, they're way too small for me right now). You just need a transfer paper (you can find it in any tech store with printers section), an access to the color printer (preferably inkjet one), a smoothing iron and the graphic you want imprinted on your clothes.

Nov 12, 2010 11:36 PM

Oct 2008
All the time.
Figures, plush, key chains, pins, posters, wallscrolls, pillows, trading cards, calenders, iron on patches, sweat bands,t-shirts, cds, manga, anime, pencil boards, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Going to conventions you see everything.
Nov 13, 2010 3:21 AM

Nov 2008
Yeah, yeah, I do actually. But be warned, a couple of months ago I thought about it all as just a waste of money as well, I guess it still is while my wallet lets out unheard cries, but once you plunge into it, it's like there's no going back. There is simply too much.. manga.. dvd's.. cd's.. artbooks..figures..+ more stuff you don't even know why you want it again.
I'm really trying to cut back the next year, and just look back at with 'oh it was just a phase..' and then just concentrate on solely buying manga again, with some artbooks on the side.
Nov 13, 2010 4:51 AM

Jul 2010
poster, calendar..but thats it o.o dolls are like flowers...look pretty but cant do shit
Nov 13, 2010 6:38 AM
Aug 2010
Can't say I do. I think most of the stuff seem a bit kitschy. However, I have considered to buy a bankai Zangetsu. Mostly because it would look cool on the wall :) Not that a shikai Zangetsu wouldn't, I just haven't found it anywhere ^_^
Nov 13, 2010 6:47 AM
Jul 2010
of course not, I like anime, but not at that level.....
Nov 13, 2010 9:49 AM

Aug 2010
Figurines- They look cool even if they can only just sit there.
T-shirts- Always get ones with my favorite characters on them.
I also have Ranka Lee laptop stickers that I haven't put on my laptop yet.
Nov 13, 2010 9:52 AM

Jan 2009
I don't buy merchandise in terms of figurines, life-size anime pillows, and such. I do buy manga and anime sets, though.
Nov 13, 2010 11:11 AM
Mar 2010
Yes for manga, no for anime
For the merchandise, upper limit would be figurines. Posters, OSTs, calendars, other random stuff (cheaper things like lucky charms or so) are usually fine (if I have the money), but I wouldn't want to pay 160$ for one figurine...(not that I wouldn't want to buy one, but I'm uncomfortable with spending that much money in one go)
Nov 13, 2010 9:22 PM

Oct 2008
Ah... My room kind of full of anime stuff. I'm running out of space in fact.

I have close to 200 figures, heaps of plushies, my walls are almost completely covered with posters and my shelves are packed with manga and some dvds. I also have a few anime t-shirts and other random things, like my shirtless Light pillow. XD

To be honest it's sometimes a little embarrassing showing certain people my room. ^^;

I don't buy as much new stuff these days though. I only buy new figures if they're ones I really want.
Nov 13, 2010 11:16 PM
Sep 2010
I have ton of anime and game stuff i've collected through the years and after awhile I just stopped unless its something I really want, usually I wait for sales as well since funds are low.

For me its either a subscription to watch anime at ANN and Crunchyroll or stuff and I like being able to watch anime ^^
Nov 13, 2010 11:47 PM

Mar 2009
Hardly, but I've got a few.
Nov 13, 2010 11:59 PM

Apr 2010
I'll probably start buying anime stuff later on in the future (:
Nov 14, 2010 12:28 AM

Apr 2010
I have, a haruhi poster, and a gurren lagann model. O and a kyon key chain I guess. Thats it really.
Nov 14, 2010 12:45 AM
Oct 2010
I've only bought a few Hatsune Miku figures(which I'm trying to sell now) and two Miku Hatsune CD's. But i wanna buy that new Clannad lithograph from Rightstuf.com.
Nov 14, 2010 5:34 AM

Aug 2009
Only a couple of figures (Gintoki, Kaname Chidori and Saber Zero) and some posters. There's a bunch of figures I really want, but don't really have the money for it atm. Those things are so damn expensive :O

Nov 14, 2010 7:05 AM

Aug 2010
I have a shelf and a half of Box sets, and a few old DBZ VHSs. I don't buy manga though. I have a few posters and wall scrolls, two of which are Oreimo ones I got recently, others are older. For figures, I don't have the money, so I got into making my own with paper craft, hahaha. Just recently finished a Youmu Konpaku and a Suwako Moriya figure, the latter of which looks about as on par with a normal figure as paper can get, lol. Currently working on a Unicorn Gundam NT-D model, just finished the head.
Nov 14, 2010 7:33 AM

Feb 2008
Not really, but if I saw something in a store I'd probably pick it up. I can't buy online since I don't have a credit card.
Nov 14, 2010 7:34 AM

Feb 2005
Of anime and manga, I've got some three DVD boxes and some movies, an roughly 40 something manga volumes I guess.

Other than that, some Gankutsuou, Hellsing Ultimate, Utena and LoGH wallscrolls and a bunch of small posters i got for spare change but probably won't stick up anywhere, can't have only anime stuff on my walls after all.

I've also got around a decent bunch of figures but I'm not going overboard with them, so I keep to getting only stuff that either looks really cool, usually of characters I really like.
Most of these were only bought because I had a lot of cash to waste (Basically my discharge check from the military) and the stuff was on sale or something. My first priority when wasting money on overpriced plastic is Warhammer after all. Though a lot of the cheaper Gundam models were bought for conversion purposes, like one old Zock kit that I've planned to turn into a Ork Mega Dread.

As for the bits and bobs, I've got a couple of key chains, including a Hellsing pentagram and one from GitS, as well as a Gundam t shirt that I got at a sale along with some of the models. It's just a black one with the Zeon emblem and some text, so nothing I would feel too silly walking around with.
Nov 14, 2010 7:40 AM

Feb 2010
Proud owner of-
Nov 14, 2010 8:05 AM
Sep 2009
Hardly, I have a few manga and a bunch of DVDs but no figurines, plushies or any of the sort.
Nov 14, 2010 8:41 AM

May 2010
If I had the money I'd probably buy a couple of figures....but damn those things are expensive. Other than that I have a Vampire Knight shirt (which I barely wear) and a Dr. Stein plush.
(゚∀゚)
Nov 14, 2010 9:03 AM

Nov 2010
well..if im richer id buy everything thats related to anime
so far..i got some figurines of k-on characters and 2 mokona plushies

Nov 14, 2010 10:02 AM

Apr 2008
I buy dvds and that's it...only if I know I am going to watch them more than once and only complete box sets.
SevenNov 14, 2010 10:06 AM
Nov 14, 2010 10:11 AM
May 2010
no and never will. not interested in those kinds of things. just watching is enough for me. plus, i fail to see the value in buying merchandise since i know it's going to end up being a waste for me anyways.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Mob Psycho 100 do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 11 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by DoctorWasabi »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 9 hours ago

17 by -Shurit- »»
8 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 8 hours ago

23 by Maroonedisback »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - 20 minutes ago

3 by Daviljoe193 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.