Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 44 Discussion

May 30, 2008 11:08 AM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Reinhard's advance is looking unstoppable now. I wonder if Yang still has any more miracles up his sleeve because there's a high chance he's going to find himself cornered with enemy on both sides.

Rubinsky was smart to plan several steps ahead of his son. Now the question is how he expects to make his return.

I wonder how Julian expects to make it off Phezzan and rejoin with the alliance? I would imagine the empire would set up blockades to prevent any aid being sent to the alliance. It looks to be an extremely risky proposition.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Jun 15, 2008 6:38 PM

I am thinking that the pilot will take Julian through Imperial territory to Iserlon.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei

Oct 22, 2008 1:30 PM

I liked watching the crowd shout "Seig Kaiser Reinhard!" In a way this shows the unanimous support amongst the people right now for Reinhard to become the leader. If you think about it then it makes sense because of all he has done for them opposed to the nobles. He looks like a ray of hope to the common people. To me it looks like the alliances days are numbered.

Feb 9, 2009 7:24 AM

I was hoping for more political intrigue with Julian in Phezzan, but the Empire has invaded already. Kind of a shame really, it makes sending him there a bit of a waste, though I'm sure he'll still have an interesting story arc ahead of him.

Mittermeyer's handling of the economy and random rapists has ensured a smooth occupation.

I also noticed slightly better direction than before in this episode too, with some nice camera pans and such.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Sep 7, 2009 12:54 AM

Reinhard's scenes at the end of the episode were really well done. Does this mean he has discovered earth? I think it was Heinessein.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Sep 7, 2009 2:04 AM
insan3soldiern said:
Reinhard's scenes at the end of the episode were really well done.

Lol bishonen sparkles... and the "wow" of the public in that scene.

Maybe the soldiers can see the sparkles?

Sep 15, 2009 4:28 PM

Wolfgang... managing all of Phezzan? I couldn't believe it until I saw the citizens act as if they were never invaded in the first place.

Oct 24, 2009 2:51 AM

I Loved Reinhard scenes at then end! and wonder if Julian will be able to leave Phezzan safely...

Nov 13, 2009 8:40 AM

It won't be easy for Julian to escape Phezzan, that's for sure.

Dec 13, 2009 6:57 AM

This episode was just brilliant, I'd never thought that Rubinsky would have planned that his son was trying to kill him. And posting some guards behind the doors it's just a so damn great idea. Nobody do it of course, and Rubinsky is the only to be smart enough to think of it.

What an intelligent plot move from the author seriously, I'm just speechless at the moment.
Nowhere from being a deus ex machina, NOWHERE! And an excellent and original way to get rid of a character.
Modified by HooHiraiBunny, Dec 13, 2009 7:47 AM

Dec 13, 2009 9:45 AM

HooHiraiBunny said:
This episode was just brilliant, I'd never thought that Rubinsky would have planned that his son was trying to kill him. And posting some guards behind the doors it's just a so damn great idea. Nobody do it of course, and Rubinsky is the only to be smart enough to think of it.

What an intelligent plot move from the author seriously, I'm just speechless at the moment.
Nowhere from being a deus ex machina, NOWHERE! And an excellent and original way to get rid of a character.

It has entered the lexicon as 'The Rubinsky Has Pwned You With The Guards Waiting Behind The Door Technique'. Also known as 'The Rubinsky Pwned You Technique' or for more succinct people, simply: 'The Rubinsky Technique'.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Apr 30, 2010 6:01 PM

That last scene was so sweet. Why can't more militant dictators be like Reinhard? He really is a work of art inside and out.

Jun 7, 2010 11:29 PM

sparkles! Are you serious? Oh well, he is a handsome man. XP

I was impressed with how flawlessly Wolfgang handled the occupation. You can't win them all, but you can sure as hell keep them from rioting.

Sep 25, 2010 3:20 PM

oh boy Reinhard got sparkles...now stuff's getting serious xD

now the only thing Reinhard needs to do is to scream like a deuchebag in front of the crowd that the FPA people must be exterminated

Heil Lohengram!

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Oct 14, 2010 2:03 PM
Manga Moderator
歌は愛♡歌は希望

Wow, Reinhard's hair sparkles were something else.

BEGINNER

Nov 26, 2010 11:36 PM

My jaws dropped when I saw my Reinhard sama's hair was even golder than before.

I hate that Rubinsky guy...

I also chanted "SIEG HEIL KAISER" with the people...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Jan 20, 2011 2:54 PM

o_o reinhard sparkles

Mar 7, 2011 11:11 AM
SIEG KAISER REINHARD

Mar 21, 2011 6:52 AM

Beatnik said:
HooHiraiBunny said:

It has entered the lexicon as 'The Rubinsky Has Pwned You With The Guards Waiting Behind The Door Technique'. Also known as 'The Rubinsky Pwned You Technique' or for more succinct people, simply: 'The Rubinsky Technique'.

lol I love it.

anyway, nice episode again. Glad Rubinsky's son died, he was beyond annoying. I hate when characters are ridiculously ambitious but don't have anywhere near the skill to back it up.

Rubinsky also mentioned Dominic, I wish she had actually appeared as she seemed beyond cool for the 2.5 seconds that she was on screen.

I feel like the more powerful Reinhard becomes the less interesting he becomes. He was a much more intriguing character when Kircheis was still alive and before his sister abandoned him. He has gone from having multiple sometimes conflicting motivations to having a single motivation of just gaining more and more power. At least he is trying to do it while maintaining popularity as well, which can be extremely difficult.

Julian on the other hand gets more interesting all the time. I want more of Julian!

Apr 8, 2011 8:15 AM

Where the love for the man of this episode, Wolfgang Mittermeyer ;/

Correct me if I'm wrong, the plan in motion for the Imperial Fleet to pass through Phezzan's corridor came originally from Rubinsky. When he admitted that he was outwitted, he meant Reinhard choose to allied with Botlicks instead of him, since he was considered tricky to deal with. His life was subsequently in danger because of this invasion.

Aug 11, 2011 9:43 PM
Wow...Sieg Kaiser Reinhard...I loved his response about the people being impatient.

Oct 30, 2011 5:42 PM

The Empire really has so many great and competent characters like Mittermayer, whereas the FPA seems to only have Yang's 13th fleet (though also with good soldiers like Schenkkopp) but as Yang said himself in the last episode: What use is the knowledge to be able to see trough your enemy's plan when you are not in the position of power yourself unable to do anything about it...

On the long term, my guess is the FPA is going to loose this war, or, by the most positive outcome, maybe can manage to coexist with the empire.

Nov 7, 2011 8:56 AM

That was a great episode. Was that Earth or Heinessen? Interesting stuff.

Hope Julian gets off of Phezzan in one piece.

Oh, and Reinhard's hair sparkled. Pure epicness.

Jan 9, 2012 10:51 PM

Loved the Gale Wolfs handeling of the rapists. Good man.

Totally didn't see the "Rubinsky maneuver" coming.
I was counting down his days, thinking his time was up.
Love it.

Jan 12, 2012 8:48 AM

Sparkling.... hair.... *nosebleed*

Feb 7, 2012 10:13 PM

SEIG MEIN KAISE

Apr 29, 2012 1:48 PM

I think that everything that happened in this episode was just a minor speedbump for Rubinsky. He had obviously known about his son's intentions for long enough to plan against them, and it didn't seem to bother him that Reinhard went through Boltik instead of him. Boltik poses no threat to Rubinsky going foward, so it's just a question of whether he can co-exist with Reinhard.

TowardsTheStars said:
That was a great episode. Was that Earth or Heinessen? Interesting stuff.

I don't remember the location of Earth being revealed, but it would make more sense for it to be in Imperial territory, seeing as how the FPA migrated outward from there.

Jun 4, 2012 8:20 PM

What an incredibly epic moment when Reinhard landed on Phezzan. Kind of annoys me that people seem to have took more notice of the sparkles than the actual scene.

sevenay said:

I feel like the more powerful Reinhard becomes the less interesting he becomes. He was a much more intriguing character when Kircheis was still alive and before his sister abandoned him. He has gone from having multiple sometimes conflicting motivations to having a single motivation of just gaining more and more power. At least he is trying to do it while maintaining popularity as well, which can be extremely difficult.

Couldn't disagree more here. If anything he's gotten far more interesting since Kircheis' death, because he's starting to head into morally grey territory now such as how he used the abduction of the child Kaiser as an excuse to start this operation and how he may, or may not, have had a hand in the rebirth of the secret police.

I think the problem is that Yang and Julian have gotten a lot more screen time than him this season. Or, at least it seems that way.
Modified by Ston3_FreeN7, Jun 4, 2012 8:29 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Jul 6, 2013 1:06 PM

Reinhard sure knows how to make an appearance. Utmost class, perfect poise, a flowing white cape, and the halo of an ambiguously rising/setting sun. (I don't pay enough attention to the time. v_v) Everywhere, swarms of people cheering him onward!<3 Why can all dictators be like this? (I mean, a fair amount are, but why can't they actually have ivory skin and 24k gold? Bishonen sparkles and all~!) Just look at this:

I would cheer him on, too, but I fear Oberstein's going to pull him too far over to the dark side. ;~; Oh, whatever:

The very end was my favorite part, though, when Reinhard went into the computer room alone.

So..touching. ;o;

Sep 17, 2013 10:07 AM

I thought the imperial fleet was just going to pass through Phezzan, which is why they were worried about Phezzan turning on them. I guess they decided to capture Phezzan first. The problem now though is that they will have to waste troops to maintain their occupation of Phezzan plus they lost the chance for a surprise attack against the Free plant Alliance.

Feb 17, 2014 1:06 PM

Its so realistic that julian could manage to save all the politicians from the raiding imperials.. ofc, and surly the kid knows everything better than the grown up politicians. Oh sry i forgot that he was one of the main characters, pardon me.

Dude storywriters, do you actually believe something like this would be possible. At least watch some war-documentaries before you write a story that focuses around a freaking war!

Feb 27, 2014 10:19 PM

Lockensocke said:
Its so realistic that julian could manage to save all the politicians from the raiding imperials.. ofc, and surly the kid knows everything better than the grown up politicians. Oh sry i forgot that he was one of the main characters, pardon me.

He only saved the main dude. All others had escaped while Julian was nuking the computer's hard drive.

Mar 2, 2014 10:19 AM

Tsukaji said:
Lockensocke said:

He only saved the main dude. All others had escaped while Julian was nuking the computer's hard drive.

Thats exactly what i ment-.-

Mar 2, 2014 7:00 PM

Lockensocke said:
Tsukaji said:
Lockensocke said:

Thats exactly what i ment-.-

Well, it is more or less outright stated that the Alliance personnel stationed in Fezzan got their positions through cronyism rather than actual capability and so were naturally incompetent enough to know only how to save their own lives and disregard destroying vital data from their computers.

Mar 3, 2014 9:57 AM

MagisterArcanum said:

Well, it is more or less outright stated that the Alliance personnel stationed in Fezzan got their positions through cronyism rather than actual capability and so were naturally incompetent enough to know only how to save their own lives and disregard destroying vital data from their computers.

You seem to not really get the fact that its nearly impossible for those politicians to stay hidden in the city when they are being searched from an entire army (which was the main focus of my comment). I even can give you an example how to make the whole epiosde more realistic: BEFORE the imperials attack the politicians flead with a spaceship thats been prepared for them in cases of attack. Because AFTER the imperials have taken the city it makes absolutly no sense that they could escape.

But lets go to your statement: Besides the fact that Julian is a boy, who doesnt have any experience in cases like this, he commants with a too high amount of certainty, what makes his illogical desitions even clearer. That the politiceans have at least the amount of commong sense to escape with spaceship is a question of logic as well.
The fact that julian also seems to know how to destroy all vital datas on their computers makes it even more unrealisticly. If you know something about computer than you might understand that just by deleting your data they are not gone. Experts always can restore your data from your harddrive. You would need to burn everything down inorder to prevent that.
Considering all those points PLUS the fact that we never saw Julian getting an special training for rescuing mission, neither having him trained in computer knowledge or acting as commanding figure, it seems like he only has those abilities beacuse PLOT DEMANDS IT. because hes the little friend of the main character, thats why he has to be exactly the same unreasonable overpower as wenli is.

Mar 7, 2014 8:29 PM

Lockensocke said:
MagisterArcanum said:

You seem to not really get the fact that its nearly impossible for those politicians to stay hidden in the city when they are being searched from an entire army (which was the main focus of my comment). I even can give you an example how to make the whole epiosde more realistic: BEFORE the imperials attack the politicians flead with a spaceship thats been prepared for them in cases of attack. Because AFTER the imperials have taken the city it makes absolutly no sense that they could escape.

But lets go to your statement: Besides the fact that Julian is a boy, who doesnt have any experience in cases like this, he commants with a too high amount of certainty, what makes his illogical desitions even clearer. That the politiceans have at least the amount of commong sense to escape with spaceship is a question of logic as well.
The fact that julian also seems to know how to destroy all vital datas on their computers makes it even more unrealisticly. If you know something about computer than you might understand that just by deleting your data they are not gone. Experts always can restore your data from your harddrive. You would need to burn everything down inorder to prevent that.
Considering all those points PLUS the fact that we never saw Julian getting an special training for rescuing mission, neither having him trained in computer knowledge or acting as commanding figure, it seems like he only has those abilities beacuse PLOT DEMANDS IT. because hes the little friend of the main character, thats why he has to be exactly the same unreasonable overpower as wenli is.

Well, the embassy staff got away before the Imperial troops arrived, but that does not mean they succeeded in leaving the planet safely, because that was not shown. In fact, at least one group of them led by Captain Viola was found and apprehended in a later episode.

As for Julian, what is shown is that he is very talented for his age and had learned under Yang for over four years, so it is not inconceivable that he knows what to do in crises like the one in this episode. It might be unrealistic, but that is subjective. Also, we are never shown what he did exactly to the computers, only that the Imperials commented that all data was lost. Bear in mind that this is a series from the late 1980s and the author is not exactly an expert on computers, so it is not surprising he would be rather vague when it comes to discussing the specifics about computers and such.

Aug 6, 2014 11:02 AM

THE GOLDEN HAIR SPARKLE.

Sep 28, 2014 8:01 AM

Sabinlerose said:
Loved the Gale Wolfs handeling of the rapists. Good man.
Agreed.

That's it. The final straws been pulled. I'm all in for KAISER REINHARD!!! The very moment when Reinhard stepped out of the spaceship I was convinced. Most likely due to Mittermeyer and Mueller running up the ship platform to greet Reinhard. I was really impressed with how Mittermeyer handled things in Phezzan. In my opinions he is an excellent commander and seeing him rush up to greet Reinhard made me admire Reinhard even more. It's really great to see that he has an extremely good team of subordinates behind him (apart from the shady Oberstein). Hopefully his subordinates stay loyal and he can conquer the universe!

I'm looking forward to more badass Reinhard :DD

Nov 7, 2014 5:38 PM

Dam look at Reinhard stealing the show there at the end xD Great job Mittermeyer, hope you don't get offed like Kircheis.

Vexper said:
THE GOLDEN HAIR SPARKLE.

We need a shampoo commercial with Reinhard lol.

Feb 28, 2015 5:27 PM

I loved the part where Reindhart was embraced by all the people of Phezan. It was awesome. Its really cool to see him win like that.

Mar 9, 2015 5:37 PM

Oh boy that ending had quite a nazi feel to it, pretty impressive if you ask me! All in all quite lovely development. Let's see what's next!

May 29, 2015 12:08 AM

That scene when Reinhard arrived in the Phezzan main center was fantastic.

SIEG MEIN KAISER! SIEG KAISER REINHARD!

Damn epic.

May 29, 2015 12:10 AM

BruceLad said:
That scene when Reinhard arrived in the Phezzan main center was fantastic.

SIEG MEIN KAISER! SIEG KAISER REINHARD!

Damn epic.

[spoiler]
Still not an Emperor
thought it was Phase 1 in becoming one.

Jun 29, 2015 3:33 AM

That sparkly golden hair was glorious!

Jun 13, 2016 4:30 PM

Can't say I didn't see Rupert's death coming. Like Rubinsky stated, all he had to do was play it smart and he would have gotten what he wanted smh.

I'm digging the way Julian's handling the situtation so far, hopefully he manages to get to Iserlohn safely.

Oct 9, 2016 3:17 PM

I can believe Yang's personal pupil managing to evade Imperial forces and arrange an escape, but having literally everyone else be that incompetent is a little annoying
Yeah they were taken by surprise but Julian can't be the only one with a level head in that kind of crisis
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Oct 29, 2016 5:17 AM

Julian is annoying, he is a good character but i dont like him that much.
Good Episode, even though the killing of Kesselring was not that well executed.

Jan 8, 2017 2:52 AM

Woot what a ride it was. Public execution part was stunning, the people cheered it, reminds me of medieval film where similar incidents are very lively XD. Reinhard smells a rat around him but he can't figure out yet, while Yang other hand got it partially thanks to Juilian of course.

Jan 29, 2017 9:35 PM
♋ Father Wolf ♋

Phezzan is a place of scumbags, it would be in the best intentions of the Empire to keep a close eye on it.

Mar 27, 2017 7:14 AM

Nice strategy!!! Reinhard army occupied Phezzan, but there are loose ends!!! ;)

Hello, my litte boy!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »