3It was OK
6.6%
2Disliked it
2.0%
1Hated it
0.7%
Average 4.5
151 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 30, 2008 5:02 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm starting to get a bad feeling.

Yang's history lesson to Julian doesn't instill a lot of confidence in their cause. It sounded like he wasn't sure if they had merit in what they were fighting for. In a way he's right though. The fact remains that the alliance has allied itself with remnants of the dynasty that it has been fighting for over 150 years.

An inordinate amount of time was spent on sending Julian off. From all the nostalgic past scenes to the many words of wisdom, it makes it seem his departure marks a major development. Since Yang believes the Empire may try invading via the Phezzan corridor, Julian's position there may prove the most vital.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 15, 2008 4:19 PM

Mar 2008
I think Yang has a lot of confidence in his cause. He was merely pointing out the facts too Julian by telling him that nation's are tools for people. I forget exactly what he said a couple episodes back, but it was something along the lines of, "leaders can be of two types, those that oppress for power, and those that allow personal freedoms. So, basically what I think he is saying is that Julian should not put blind faith in the righteousness of a nation but instead remember what is important to him and fight for that.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Oct 19, 2008 2:19 PM

Aug 2008
Yang looks like he is starting to feel like the FPA is not the best of the two governments. I liked the funny moments in this episode since it alleviates the massive amount of political tension going around. It's a double edged sword sending Julian to Phezzan.

1) He can help in a defense if Reinhard invades that way
2) He could end up dying or being taken captive during subsequent invasion.

Either way things are about to get messy.
Feb 7, 2009 10:55 PM

Jan 2008
Really touching episode.

Yang is just so objective he can place himself outside of the box, but at the end of the day like he says, he just wants society to last long enough to give him a pension.

He's leaped into my favourite character of anime because his views mirror my own when it comes to the concept of 'nations' and the futility of feeling indebted to them through patriotism, nationalism, etc. Or as Joseph Heller says in Catch-22:

Joseph Heller said:
What is a country? A country is a piece of land sourrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 14, 2009 6:00 PM

Jan 2009
Oh dear.... I hope Julian fares well on Phezzan, but considering the state and position the planet is in, it's going to turn into quite the experience for him. Also he's been made an honorary Rosenritter, and that, aside from Yang's speech on alcohol was one of my favorite moments this episode.
Mar 28, 2010 2:39 AM

Aug 2008
The send off that Julian got just proves that he's a special guy.
DonKangolJonesMar 28, 2010 2:46 PM
May 7, 2010 2:19 PM

Apr 2009
Oh God, Yang's "Alcohol is humanity's friend. Can I abandon a friend?" cracked me up.
Also, I loved his comment on how he wants FPA to last long enough for him to make a living.

I can't stress this enough how I appreciate that there's no "evil totalitarianism vs. democratic utopia" set-up. Seems kind of refreshing that there's no "black or white" approach.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 19, 2010 1:27 PM

Jan 2010
man why did i watch the next episode's preview...**** was so disturbing :\

so Julian's on his own...i wonder how Yang will take it,personally i think Julian could've stayed a bit more but whatever

3/5 because there was SO mcuh talking this episode...i almost couldn't follow up the subtitles!
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 25, 2010 4:33 PM

May 2010
Wow, looks like I am adding Yang to my favorite character list thanks to this episode.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 20, 2011 7:08 AM

Aug 2009
So the depth of the political commentary in this show goes without saying but more importantly...

Yang is awesome. I started off this series thinking that I would be more interested in Reinhard since he has that whole anti-hero thing but now I am much more interested in Yang. His outlook on life is refreshing and his relationship with Julian is just so sweet. I also love Julian, even if he decides to run off to the empire which it seems like will happen. They are becoming two of my favorite characters of anime.
Mar 20, 2011 11:12 AM

Feb 2010
tizara said:
So the depth of the political commentary in this show goes without saying but more importantly...

Yang is awesome. I started off this series thinking that I would be more interested in Reinhard since he has that whole anti-hero thing but now I am much more interested in Yang. His outlook on life is refreshing and his relationship with Julian is just so sweet. I also love Julian, even if he decides to run off to the empire which it seems like will happen. They are becoming two of my favorite characters of anime.

Same happened to me ^^ At first sight Reinhard catches the attention, but as the serie continues I fell in love with Yang more and more and now he's my alltime favorite character, not only of anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2011 7:28 AM

Feb 2010
Many words of wisdom, I am particularly fond of Yang's speech to Julian about the possibility of history portraying them as evil and people inclinations on their self-righteousness.
Jul 15, 2011 1:12 PM

Sep 2009
Yang's alcohol quotation is one that I'll be using for a lifetime. Much wisdom is to be had in this episode, and I was touched more than I thought I would be at Julian's departure. He's more likable a teenage character than most in anime, which is saying something.
Aug 11, 2011 3:07 PM
Jun 2011
I agree with the others who've said Yang has grown to one of their favorite characters. I'm still leaning towards favoring Reinhard, but it is refreshing to have a character that you can rely on to do the right thing all the time. Unfortunately I don't feel that way with Reinhard, but he does do some of the right things...sometimes if not for the wrong reasons too, but whatever.
Sep 1, 2011 3:32 AM

Aug 2009
I love these Yang philosophy episodes.
Oct 31, 2011 8:56 AM

Mar 2011
Touching episode with a serious tone to it. Great stuff.

Here's hoping Julian makes out okay in Phezzen.
Jan 7, 2012 3:08 PM

Sep 2009
I'm not much of an alcohol drinker but if anyone ever objects to me having a glass I'm going to be giving them Yangs speach.
Jan 20, 2012 10:58 AM

Aug 2008
Great episode.

But Yang jumped the shark with his foresight in my opinion.
It just seemed silly that Yang decided Phazzan was going to align with the Empire and allow passage in THIS episode right after the Prince cuts that deal.

I know its convenient for plot, but too convenient for me.

I also really hope yang puts a ring on Greenhill soon.
Feb 6, 2012 10:44 PM

Aug 2010
Merril said:

I also really hope yang puts a ring on Greenhill soon.
Apr 27, 2012 9:34 PM

Feb 2012
Yang Wenli said:
Anything that hasn't existed since the genesis of the universe needn't survive until the end.

Including alcohol. Unfortunately.
Jun 3, 2012 2:02 AM

Jun 2009
Hakuromatsu said:
Yang Wenli said:
Anything that hasn't existed since the genesis of the universe needn't survive until the end.

Including alcohol. Unfortunately.

If there is one thing to continue existing I'd count on it being Alcohol.

Merril said:

It just seemed silly that Yang decided Phazzan was going to align with the Empire and allow passage in THIS episode right after the Prince cuts that deal.

I disagree. Yang figuring these things out makes quite a bit of sense and he does reason these thoughts out, hell he even said he didn't know if it would be true or not. Besides is it that hard to believe someone could figure something like that out? All it requires is a bit of "thinking outside the box", which Yang has proven to be quite good at by now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 3, 2013 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
Yang's A, B, C situation was given so quickly. o_o I had to go back and pause frame by frame to catch what he was saying. If anybody would benefit from Yang's words one more time:

Yang Wenli said:
Consider the situation where three forces, A, B, and C exist. A and B aremutually antagonistic. C's strategy should be something like this: Help A, if A is being threatened by B. Help B, if B is being pressured by A. Prolong the quarrel between A and B, and make both sides destroy each other. However, if A's influence strengthens conspicuously, such that the situation is that even if C helps B, it will be hard to resist A. Wouldn't C be better off to choose to attack B in cooperation with A?

Julian Minci said:
But, if it does, and the oppressively enlarged A follows up the victory of having destroyed B by attacking C, isn't C marching down the road from independence to destruction?

Good stuff. Yang's comment about how Julian will have grown taller before they meet again was sad in a way. I hope Julian comes back. He clearly means a lot to everyone. Unfortunately, I have a feeling he won't. :S

Also, I found Yang's comment about fighting Reinhard face-to-face one day interesting. He isn't the embodiment of evil, and Yang and Julian are not necessarily going to be remembered as the "good guys" to future generations.
Jul 29, 2013 10:47 PM

Jun 2013
Incredible and extremely smart episode!
Sep 16, 2013 3:43 PM

Nov 2009
Hopefully we will get to see more of Phezzan, all we have really seen so far is the guys running it, but not really anything about the planet itself.
Sep 28, 2013 1:07 PM

Jul 2011
The wit and humour in this episode was hilarious!

I agree with the others. I thought I would like Reinhard the most, but Yang's personality and views really won me over. I'm really hoping Julian will become the bridge between Yang and Reinhard. I really want to see these two meeting face-to-face and having a conversation of sorts.
Jan 9, 2014 4:42 AM

Jan 2012
im as conflicted as yang

reinhard's government is better than the corrupt alliance in this generation, but it isnt good to leave the whole universe under the control of one lineage. its so hard to make the call that in the end people just end up fighting for whatever side they were already on

so i think yang's "find your personal justice" speech was great

julian's meh though. too perfect, too bland.
Feb 25, 2014 12:30 PM
Aug 2011
"Embodiments of evil don't exist other than in television dramas."
Oh man, the things that Yang says are so enjoyable.
This entire episode is so quotable.
I'm finding that all the episodes that focus on (and Julian) just fly by for me.

This episode also gave a very heavy sense of foreshadowing that left me feeling very uneasy.
Jul 12, 2014 8:35 AM

Sep 2012
Merril said:

I think the show has some exaggerated foresights, but this one was believable. He realized that because the Kaiser arrived through Phezzan Corridor instead of Iserlohn, which was obviously suspiscious.
Aug 6, 2014 5:49 AM

Nov 2013
I loved everyone poking fun at Yang for not being able to take care of himself without Julian. Gosh this episode felt like an end of an era, very... foreboding.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 27, 2014 4:14 AM

Dec 2013
Mirorin said:
“I agree with the others. I thought I would like Reinhard the most, but Yang's personality and views really won me over. I'm really hoping Julian will become the bridge between Yang and Reinhard. I really want to see these two meeting face-to-face and having a conversation of sorts.
I agree. Personally I was supporting Reinhard all the way, however this episode has really enlightened me towards Yang. His witty comeback are an unforgettable comedic element and his personality is just "fun". Really hoping to see him develop some relationship with Lt.Greenhill too :DD.

Overall this episode was great. Really good to see that Yang's group is great fun. A breath of fresh air from the on edge Imperial side.
Nov 5, 2014 10:55 AM

Mar 2012
Looks like it's time for Julian to spread his wings and leave the nest. I have a feeling that when Yang and him meet again they'll be on opposite sides.
Feb 28, 2015 7:06 AM

Aug 2014
It was a little sad to see Julian go. I wonder what his next post will be like? I didn't know he was important enough to have everyone give him a farewell gift and see him off as they did.
Mar 3, 2015 3:57 PM

May 2012
Very awesome episode and development! Looking forward to see what happens next!
May 28, 2015 2:34 AM
Nov 2014
Interesting development on Julian, now I can only wonder what will happen when he does finally reunited again with Yang.
Jun 28, 2015 4:15 AM

Dec 2013
Such a ridiculously enjoyable episode. I hope Julian's screen time won't be cut down too drastically.
Jul 18, 2015 12:17 AM

May 2012
yet another fantastic episode, i almost cried watching julian leave, im gonna fucking cry like a bitch if he dies.... he better not fucking die... i have a bad feeling he is going to though...
Jul 18, 2015 11:02 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
frequency15k said:
yet another fantastic episode, i almost cried watching julian leave, im gonna fucking cry like a bitch if he dies.... he better not fucking die... i have a bad feeling he is going to though...

I think at least one of the main characters will die. =/ I'm trying to prepare myself for that day.
Jul 22, 2015 5:07 PM

Dec 2008
I shed a few tears for Julian. I didn't want him to leave Yang's side.

Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 12, 2015 10:42 PM

Nov 2012
And again the show is really propping up Julian again as an important character, I'm guessing he's going to have some huge relevance later in the series.

That was really cool though that Schenkopp and the RosenRitters were so nice to him, basically saying he's one of them(associate so he works for them now huh) lol, I loved that gesture of Shenkopp giving Julian an official Rosenritter combat knife it looked like. and he also got what looked like an official badge of membership..It seems like Julian made some bonds with all of them , and they trained him a good bit most likely according to those short little flashback sequences. I can already tell his time with them is going to end up saving his life at least once.

Oh yeah and Yang's little speech to Julian on the bench. That was some good stuff. Since Reinhard's reforming a lot of the empires policies for the better and we have seen how corrupt the FPA is lately (namely contradicting multiple times key components of their original ideals) , it almost seems like Reinhard's empire is the more justified group to rule. Looks like Yang wants Julian to see what's going on at Phessan but also want him to see what kind of person Reinhard is, this seems to mean Julian is going to meet the dude at least once somehow. Lot of shady shit going down at Phessan so I hope Julian can manage to stay safe!!
midnightbladeOct 12, 2015 10:50 PM
Jan 20, 2016 5:57 AM

Apr 2014
That Rossenritter scene made me cry happy tears. Seriously
Mar 28, 2016 3:07 AM

Jan 2014
That was cute, funny and a bit sad. I can't wait to see what will happen to Julian--it will probably be something very important to the further development of the story. I wonder if he'll join Lohengramm soon...
FeSTiNaLeNTeMar 28, 2016 3:10 AM
Jun 11, 2016 7:38 AM

Aug 2014
That guy is still taking about Yang becoming a dictator in the future? Give it up buddy, because it's NEVER going to happen!! Well at least I hope so xD.

It's cool that Louis is going to be assigned as Julian's bodyguard, he certainly earn his reps for protecting Frederica against the PKC a few episodes ago.
Jul 1, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2016
Julian for Emperor! :3

Seriously, given how much he's being showcased, I think he might be the one to unite the entire galaxy.
Mar 1, 2017 10:54 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Julian say good bye to Iserlhon!!!

The conversation between Julian and Yand in the park bench, was perfect and show clearly the point exact where are now, and the near future!!!
Feb 1, 2018 11:22 AM

May 2016
Great dialogues, I really want to see more galaxy full-scale war soon.
May 2, 2018 10:01 AM
Sep 2016
Yang is a historian (and an alcoholic, and it was brave of Julian to shoot the elephant in the room at last) first. He doesn’t want the Empire or FPA to survive, necessarily. He wants what’s best for humanity. That might make him unique in military history.

I feel sorry for Julian, but not as sorry as he’s going to make Fezzan and probably the Empire. With one half of the Juliyang gestalt in each of the Corridors, I think even Reinhard’s going to struggle to get through.
Sep 21, 2018 12:41 AM

Feb 2017
So if Julian's reflexes weren't good enough, he would have gotten a dart in his face? What a send-off.
Jul 16, 2019 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
If I were getting that half million sum I would buy a lot of Ferrero Rochers and make myself a fatty.
Nov 4, 2019 12:21 AM

Oct 2012
I hoped Julian will become great like Yang too someday
"Signature removed"
Dec 26, 2019 5:49 PM

Nov 2016
They grow up so fast ;_;

This episode really packed a punch, almost teared up there. I sincerely hope Julian is going to make it back.

Yang is the GOAT in this series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.