Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 14, 2015 12:09 AM

May 2012
yang is a fucking bad ass dude xD
Oct 3, 2015 4:14 AM

Jan 2014
Poor Yang Wenli :(
He was so cute when he made that pouty face :3
Dec 23, 2015 5:33 AM

Apr 2014
If Yang deduces that Phezzan has a shadowy role in all this, how long until Reinhard suspects?
Jan 17, 2016 1:08 PM

Nov 2013
That's some seriously exciting turn of events right there... The disruption within the Alliance was evident from the very end of the coup-de-tat, but it's becoming very clear just how far off they've gotten from being a democratic society. Go straight at them, Yang!
Jan 21, 2016 3:34 AM

Dec 2012
Yang's back and forth internal commentary during the inquiry was hilarious. He tore up that fat bastard every single time. Major respect to Frederica this episode, she's demonstrated capability that puts her far above being simply a token assistant.

So it seems the Alliance military and government have had a falling out and now the transparency of their pseudo-democracy is more apparent than ever. I like what Yang said about Reinhard, that even if his system isn't by the people, it's far more in line with being for the people than their current state of affairs.

That warp at the end was intense. It's finally on.
Mar 14, 2016 12:57 PM

Feb 2014
Yang confirmed savage
May 1, 2016 7:25 PM

Jun 2010
Greater sophistication of political commentary here, which I welcome. There's discussion of principle like the role of the state and also tiny details like hack politicians' use of vague, unsubstantiated "concerns" to launch baseless attacks.

There's quite a bit of written English in this episode and surprisingly there are only the smallest of mistakes to be found ("Marksman Ship" instead of "Marksmanship"). Someone put some effort into this. Yang evens dots an "i"!

There were some differences in the text of Yang's essay and the subtitles I was viewing, though. The subtitles speak of "the pretext of invasion by an external enemy" and the essay reads "to invade the nearby nations". I can't speak for how accurate a translation the subtitles represent but I can say they make less sense logically. There is a genuine threat of invasion; the audience knows this is exactly what Reinhard is planning and moreover has been the Empire's goal for 150 years! The Alliance's eager turn to aggression when it briefly had the upper hand provides a more meaningful insight into the state of its political culture.

supersayen said:
Yang figuring out Phezzan plan after watching a Phezzan ad (I think?) just came out of nowhere. The guy is smart but this is a little bit to much in my opinion.

His mind is essentially magical which I find makes him kind of dull. His emotional moments are far more interesting than his intellectual ones. (I think that was supposed to be a kid's action show by the way; like an anime you'd see on TV when this OVA was made! I chuckled.)

Despite Yang's supposed brilliance he was wrong with his assessment of Reinhard's dictatorship. He says it's possible to co-exist with it but Reinhard is dead-set on conquest of the Alliance because of his promise to Siegfriend (if he wasn't before). This is the problem with monarchy; one's man's most intense emotions are directing the fact of billions and there isn't even supposed to be a way to mediate this.

Yang doesn't go as far as to make the completely banal observation that benevolent dictatorship is an effective government (he hedges frequently with terms like "at present") but even if the topic of his essay is what the Alliance should do in the immediate term he should really mention the inherent instability of a charismatic monarchy like Reinhard's. He seems to be judging Reinhard on his past actions (how else?) but in truth this results in a misjudgement. He's more volatile than Yang realizes.

Joel_Shelton said:
I believe Yang was correct by saying he wasn't a 'radical anarchist' (meaning chaos), but he's rather a 'rational anarchist' (societies and natural law, just no coercive nations or governments). He gives off too many anti-statist remarks not to be one. He's only working in the state, because he wants to prevent further violence being carried out. He understands the military is a political tool and without his genius plans, more lives would be lost on both sides. In the end, Yang just wants to be a historian, he really doesn't care about the military or the Free Plants Alliance, he just wants individuals to be free.

An Enlightenment-style liberal, then.
Jun 10, 2016 7:56 AM

Aug 2014
Almost had a heart attack thinking Frederica was about to die there...After what happened with Jessica, I didn't want another cutie dying on me xD
Props to Louis for doing his best to protect her though, I'll be sure to remember his name from now on :p

As expected, Yang wasn't fazed at all with their questions. I loved seeing those old fools getting more and more pissed each them they didn't get the asnwer they wanted to hear from him.
While I hate to see Yang in this predicament, I couldn't help but laugh when he was talking about quitting. I know a lot of people who hate their jobs could relate with him there lol.
Oct 15, 2016 3:29 PM

Oct 2014
Wow. I'm so proud of Yang
Wait, did you just say that Jojo is shit?
Oct 23, 2016 1:07 PM

Aug 2014
I think the Allaince is much more corrupt than the empire.
Jan 6, 2017 6:18 PM

Apr 2016
A well-balanced episode. Got some laugh from Yang confrontation with the council, the guy is very flexible. The inquiry is just another satire of how "free" this alliance is, the more i watch the more i want this nation to fall and Yang should lead the people to a new path. But unfortunately his patience is at its limit and he decided to resign. But once again the plot twist kicks in, Reinhard's fleet is here in such intense time, so things may get wacky from now.
CzeroCJun 15, 2017 6:03 AM
Feb 14, 2017 12:00 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Subarashii, in the firsts four minutes, the theories or conclusions of Yang, are "perfects"!!! Genius!!! Only for this four minutes, worth watched it!!!
Jun 14, 2017 10:57 PM
Jun 2015
waow gotta love yang. one of my fav episodes so far
Oct 23, 2017 6:55 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I really liked the intro scene with Yang writing about the state of the Alliance and how coexistence with the Lohengramm Administration is necessary, more so because it's a government for the people. Yang is a sensible person, but unfortunately sensible can't be said about the FPA's politicians given what we saw of the inquiry... Well sensible as Yang might be, I have doubts that it would be possible to coexist given Reinhard's commitment to conquering the universe.

The inquiry didn't really make me angry per se, mostly annoyed. But also incredibly amused due to how Yang handled the questions.

That end though!!!
Dec 26, 2017 6:01 PM

Nov 2017
Yang is my boy. He is dope.
Mar 29, 2018 10:36 AM

Jan 2017
I kinda wanted Yang to quit from the military, let's see those politician deal with the war
Apr 6, 2018 10:22 PM

Jul 2017
Yang sama FTW. I want him to quit and let the government handle the war that is about to take place. When they will get crushed by the opposition in the war, then they will know the real value of Miracle Yang.
Apr 19, 2018 5:02 AM

Sep 2016
rofl Yang just triggered all those corrupt politician so hard
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 19, 2018 10:00 PM

Feb 2017
"The nation that ... uses its power internally to suppress the citizens on the pretext of invasion by an external enemy is on the road to extinction."
Nov 18, 2018 7:23 AM
Jul 2015
I've seen this show accused of having an antidemocratic lean. It sure as hell does. No one has even suggested trying to fix the FPA's problem though, elections or any other proper channels. It's always just hope it sorts itself out or military takeover.

The empire had to be improved that way, because there weren't any peaceful ways builtin to depose corrupt leadership. Yang as the pro-democracy side is allowed to say, that it's suppose to be about to will of countless individual people, but that's probably never going to be allowed to solve anything.

Anything that gets done, is accomplished by great military leaders. The new regime in the empire, doesn't come from general or even just wide spread discontent, they just pissed off the wrong genius.
Mar 3, 2019 5:51 AM

Aug 2017
That was a great episode. It really seems that Empire and FPA just swapped places, with the first one going for more economic and political freedom through reformation and the second one quickly turning into a totalitarian puppet state controlled by some shady Phezzan politicians and religious cultists. I wonder how Yang will deal with that!

Also, the inquiry was quite interesting, but confusing in some places for me. Yang was called a "radical anarchist" for saying that the individual is more important than the nation/state (up to that point he seems like a classical liberal and democrat, far from anarchist of any kind though). I was boggled at Yang's answer when he stated that he's basically a vegan but can't hold himself when he sees delicious meat. Just what kind of metaphor is that? Is Yang trying to convey that he doesn't like all that political and military stuff and wants to be left alone, but is "forced" to act another way by the circumstances? I guess it makes sense, given all his previous statements and overall worldview. Perhaps it's that attitude that the politicians mistake for anarchism, idk.
Jun 28, 2019 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
Damn, never expected the eternal peace seeker Yang Wenli to be an asshole in a similar fashion like Corkus from Berserk. That supposedly Chinese guy is kinda adorable even though he was acting as a rebellious teenager in this episode. Notable episode imo
Jul 13, 2019 10:34 PM
Mar 2018
This is by far my favorite episode. I'll let some instances slide, such as the fight against Frederica and her ally, since I thought it was wonky and eh... Personally I really liked the inquiry and could have sat for more of Wen-li's answers-- HE was basically doing the psychological lynching there, hah!

Other events I liked that everyone else seemed to: the beginning and end. His rant about quitting was super amusing, yet it really did feel like I was there, feeling his pain in spirit. And I also agree with those who said that Wen-li shines brightest when his suspicions aren't so accurate, but I mean... perhaps geniuses do exist, and that's why he is our main character after all.

Oh man, I can't wait for the upcoming episodes. The show is officially bingeworthy!
Nov 1, 2019 7:43 AM

Oct 2012
When their military is so weak when your automated defense is destroyed, they immediately accused Yang.. *sigh
Damn Yang just destroyed those politicians' asses xD

Freedom's side is pretty sad, there's almost no freedom at all
If I'm Yang I probably switched to empire so quickly when insulted like that
FAP side is really sad :P

Looks like the real war starts here, that warp technology is way too OP
"Signature removed"
Dec 26, 2019 11:12 AM

Nov 2016
I was quite worried for Frederica :S

Excellent episode. Chairman was insufferable, but Yang kicked ass and maybe this inquiry will be the trigger for him to become the dictator for the alliance, at least it was already foreshadowed.

And damn, the appearance of Geiersburg was quite chilling. Out of all times Yang isn't present, damn Phezanns.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 21, 2020 10:32 PM

Jul 2019
Fronzel said:

supersayen said:
Yang figuring out Phezzan plan after watching a Phezzan ad (I think?) just came out of nowhere. The guy is smart but this is a little bit to much in my opinion.

His mind is essentially magical which I find makes him kind of dull. His emotional moments are far more interesting than his intellectual ones. (I think that was supposed to be a kid's action show by the way; like an anime you'd see on TV when this OVA was made! I chuckled.)
For those who haven't noticed it yet, Phezzan is an antisemitic caricature, they represent evil backstabbing merchants puppeteering the government and controlling the media for profit (they even have the Zionist faction equivalent, with the silly Earth sect), so it's not really far-fetched to have a smart guy like Yang suspecting of them, as many far-right and far-left people have similar opinions today about the Jews.

This, of course, would make Yang not as relatable for many of you.
Aug 25, 2020 6:31 PM
Sep 2019
10/5
This episode was amaznig. Everything about it, from the action, to the anger the politicians sitrred in me but also the superiority and brilliant way in which yang dealth with them. This episode feels like the rollercoaster has ascendend to the very top and its about to rapidly descend for the next few episodes.
Oct 13, 2020 6:19 PM

Jan 2020
eyerok said:
supersayen said:
One thing I hated about this episode:

I dont remember the particular scene, but I believe that when the media is controlled or influenced by the Government, I think it is possible to understand its plans and designs by observing things like that.

The manner in which Westerland's massacre in episode 23 managed to be televised, yet not interrupted, is a good example.
Oct 14, 2020 8:17 AM

May 2016
St0rmblade said:
I was boggled at Yang's answer when he stated that he's basically a vegan but can't hold himself when he sees delicious meat. Just what kind of metaphor is that? Is Yang trying to convey that he doesn't like all that political and military stuff and wants to be left alone, but is "forced" to act another way by the circumstances? I guess it makes sense, given all his previous statements and overall worldview. Perhaps it's that attitude that the politicians mistake for anarchism, idk.

Oh, so it was an analogy... I thought it was just a bizarre random comment
Mar 16, 2021 2:43 AM

Jul 2016
Dr-Eyes said:
I think the Allaince is much more corrupt than the empire.

About the same. Absolute power corrupts.
Apr 8, 2021 10:30 AM
Jan 2015
I want to butcher those damn politicians

Plate said:
The introduction in this episode chillingly reminded me of the United States right now. D:

I know you wrote this in 2008 and here i am 13 years later but same thing came in my mind after watching this episode.

Apr 15, 2021 10:45 AM

Jun 2009
Yang was a star of this episode. He absolutely mocked those fools.
May 29, 2021 4:18 PM

Feb 2012
2021 Rewatch

Reinhard's government is not "by the people", but Yang can see that it is "for the people". Great line.

More fantastical space opera with the Fezzan-sponsored Imperial propaganda show that showed up on the Heinessen broadcasts (and that uses Dvořák – Symphony No. 9, too!). From this Yang pieced together that Fezzan wouldn't be happy if the democratic Alliance peacefully coexisted with Reinhard's Empire. A real genius.

Yang is just mocking those enquiring him. Negroponte looks so pissed off but Yang's doing nothing wrong legally speaking.

"No, but you could say I am a vegetarian. Although as soon as I look at a delicious meat dish, I break my commandments at once." is a great line.

Nooo Greenhill, too naïve! But at least Machungo was there to beat the crap out of the Terraist PKC.

Yang isolated in his room, threatening to resign was quite the scene.

Geiersburg Fortress is here...
Fortress_MaximusJun 1, 2021 5:19 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 19, 2021 3:49 AM

Jun 2020
i jus realized how fast time passes in dis show
Dec 19, 2021 9:22 AM
Nov 2020
This is one of my favorite LOGH episode
Feb 20, 2022 12:02 AM

Jan 2021
god this reminds me so much of turkey after erdogan took over 2002 just go and look at the events that happened after it and that are still happening. damn this show was ahead of its time
Apr 13, 2022 9:23 AM

Dec 2007
the very much thing i liked about this episode - yang choosing his words carefully, and don't miss one bit.
seriously, it was the most epic political episode i ever watched in anime. lol

seems to me that only the war coming the alliance through the empire, but political war is already there.
Sep 4, 2022 4:52 PM
Feb 2019
Very interesting episode, it seems the Alliance is rotting even more, turning on probably the last hope they have. So much for the principles of democracy meanwhile they are about to lose the best strategic point they control.

I am glad Yang has loyal crewmates as it was expected.

Loved the extended episode, no opening and ending, it surprised me but we got a longer episode this way.
Nov 16, 2022 2:56 PM

May 2018
A reminder that all governmental systems can fall into petty politics and corruption, even democracies. Great episode, hope Yang makes it out alive
Nov 16, 2022 2:57 PM

May 2018
Scrabble said:
SlickDragon said:
This episode evoked such rage from me, I don't know when the last time an anime was able to do that to me. When Ltn Greenhill and Mashengo, Louis were ambushed by the PKC, and Mashengo started throwing it down, I couldn't help but get pumped shouting "Ike Frieza-Sama (same Voice Actor) Kick their Asses!".. the first time I've ever rooted for Frieza in my life.

Such a sick twisted Government that runs the "Free" Alliance, sadly all too reminiscent of the current corrupt administration in the US, with the media all but 100% in their pocket sprouting their propaganda and trying to suppress the plethora of scandals and corruption. Sickening.

This is also heavily reminiscent of Ender's Game, where Miracle Ender was also in effect imprisoned, like Yang, due to politicians fears and desperation to cling to power. It's just preposterous to think that Heroes can be treated that way.

Yang is reaching his limit of tolerance, I only wish that he could join with Reinhardt and abolish the mockery of "democracy" that the Free Alliance supposedly stands for. If Kircheis was alive that would likely have been a probable outcome, since Kircheis greatly respected and held of Yang, and would smooth the transition of alliance between the two mammoths Reinhardt and Yang. This is one of the primary reasons Kircheis had to die, to render the otherwise sensible alliance between the two nearly impossible.
GAWD you have the exact same thinking as me. Watching LOGH up until now, this episode has enraged me by far far the greatest. Watching that FATFUCK inquire Yang made me want to absolutely rip his skin and flesh off. And they attack Lt.Greenhill???! Now I am seriously hoping that Yang will coup and crush these fucking shitbag politicians. GOD I am fuming right now. Going to rip each and everyone one of those politicians apart if I could just get my hands on them...

Now they have the Imperials invading...Just great...If I was Yang I would jump ships and say SAYONARA FUCKBAGS.

P.S. Excuse the extremely vulgar language. Personally I do not like to include these words in my vocabulary however in the case of portraying my extreme anger and rage I had no choice.

don't worry we all had the same reaction xD
Jan 7, 2023 5:03 AM

Aug 2018
Very intense but great episode, specially for Yang's character,

Honestly Alliance deserves to lose with such a pathetic political mindset, a whole coup happened but nothing was learned from it, they literaly try to ruin and get rid of the biggest hero of their times. How did the politicians even decide this was a good idea is impossible to understand, even in real life this probably wouldn't happen once in a million years

Yang hopefully can defend himself from this useless inquiry and disgracefull corruption, glad to see Lt Greenhill got his back in such times.
May 25, 2023 2:20 PM
Dec 2021
Yang was pretty good here. But truth be told, the last few episodes haven't done much for me at all. A little disappointed. Still a good show tho.  
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.