Forum Settings
Forums
New
Korean drama vs Japanese drama
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 21, 2012 8:02 AM

Apr 2012
I prefer Korean Dramas although there aren't that many differences. I'm not sure but i guess I'm just digging the style a lot at the moment.

I like Korean fashion and the music they use, I think Korean guys are hotttttt too. ^_^
May 23, 2012 10:06 PM
Aug 2009
I tend to like Japanese dramas more.
May 25, 2012 12:19 AM

Oct 2010
I prefer korean dramas. I find Korean actors better and let's be honest, generally, hotter. Also, I feel like korean dramas are more 'western' if you know what I mean, and I prefer that style when it comes to live action.
May 25, 2012 8:20 PM
May 2012
I love korean dramas than japanese dramas. :) Korean actors and actresses are more beautiful and handsome.. :) although I love some of the jdramas such as hungry and detective conan live action..
May 26, 2012 7:21 AM

Nov 2009
I prefer Japanese dramas. Korean dramas tend to be too melodramatic and long-winded for my liking.
May 28, 2012 7:37 AM

May 2012
I used to watch both. But after a while, once you watch a few K-dramas, I feel that that's it. The love story pattern is too similar from one to another that I got bored. J-dramas seem to offer more variety.
May 28, 2012 8:47 AM

May 2012
I actually hesitated. I liked both of them ~_~
Jun 10, 2012 12:15 AM

May 2010
They are different. I enjoy both.
Jun 11, 2012 2:43 PM

Nov 2011
I love korean drama but i watch japense movie
Jun 30, 2012 9:37 AM

Jul 2010
I take back my vote.

I vote for Korean drama. I've gotten a better taste of them over these past few months and I have to say, I do prefer them. Although both are still great.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2012 5:26 PM
Jan 2012
Korean drama gets my vote. I've tried watching Japanese dramas but after a couple minutes in I can't take it. I'm extremely picky and anyway, I'm more familiar with k-dramas.
Jul 15, 2012 6:25 AM

Jul 2012
Korean for drama

Japanese for anime

:3
Jul 22, 2012 2:56 PM

Jun 2011
i prefer japanese even though my first drama was korean.
jap>korean taiwan>korean taiwan?jap
korean does the same formula with adding drop dead gorgeous guys, and it's love triangle plot. also there is always someone in the cast that is rich.
japanese sucks at doing live actions with the exception of manga and the wallflower, but even though the people are all sexy i find japanese more realistic. plus japanese has good comedy and offer variety. people say japanese act stiff. i don't see it(unless its a live action of an anime), but i do see it in some korean drama. also i am a bigger fan of japanese music and i like the openings in the japanese drama more. plus no asian drama does delinquents better than japanese. kiss scene wise they both suck. taiwan does it the best. i can't decide though out of taiwan and japanese

The life of a pirate is a short, but merry one.

Jul 27, 2012 7:17 PM

Jun 2011
I personally love both, but I got to say that I like Korean dramas a touch more!
Jul 27, 2012 10:48 PM

Jul 2012
Koreans for me, better acting i guess. japanese dramas just seem to make everything funny or from what ive seen so far. But its not like korea has all these epic animes.
Aug 7, 2012 3:16 PM

Aug 2012
I actually like Korean dramas more, too.
Aug 29, 2012 7:05 PM

Aug 2011
I like Japanese dramas much better, and I've seen my fair share of both. I feel like Korean dramas have too much sappy and cliche romances while J-dramas branch out into other genres. I've never seen a K-drama as good as Liar Game, for example.
yamagoopAug 29, 2012 7:09 PM
Sep 6, 2012 8:44 PM

May 2012
limitlessonline7 said:
I love korean dramas than japanese dramas. :) Korean actors and actresses are more beautiful and handsome.. :) although I love some of the jdramas such as hungry and detective conan live action..

And more than 90% of the Korean actor/actress made plastic surgery.
Sep 15, 2012 6:20 PM

Jun 2011
I've watched both of them an equal amount (read: equally as little), but if I had to choose which one was better, I'd have to say Korean.

They're both "meh" compared to my enjoyment with anime, and atrocious compared to good movies.

Cresando said:
And more than 90% of the Korean actor/actress and singers have had plastic surgery.

oh and +1

Revenant_Sep 15, 2012 6:33 PM
Sep 16, 2012 10:43 AM
Jun 2012
hong kong dramas > japanese/korean dramas
Sep 16, 2012 12:03 PM

Sep 2012
I like the Japanese actors ..
Japanese dramas are the most plausible.

watch movies transformers four | All Online Games here
Sep 23, 2012 3:32 AM

Apr 2012
Dorama is the best... Majisuka Gakuen FTW
Oct 8, 2012 1:18 PM
Dec 2011
JDrama > Kdrama
Oct 11, 2012 2:03 PM

Sep 2011
ok, both kind of dramas are good, contrair to some people opinions their acting isnt bad is just they focus in something else, that we arent use to see
beyond that korean dramas are better than the japanese, couse they get more deep, the others are like a bad copy of anime.....
Oct 23, 2012 3:51 PM

Oct 2012
They're both terrible; terribly acted and terribly cheesy lol.

And all the "hot men" look like girls.

Give me a European or American show any day! Now THOSE are good.
Oct 23, 2012 7:36 PM

Apr 2012
Japanese people are horrible at acting.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 23, 2012 7:42 PM
Mar 2011
BloodRequiem said:
Japanese people are horrible at acting.

so says you
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 23, 2012 7:46 PM
Mar 2011
mokona_mushroom said:

right id lke to see a us tv studod do a 52 episode historoc drama eatch year hmmm that it they cannot caue us history has been done to death in mpvies
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 25, 2012 7:49 PM

Oct 2012
Korean Dramas: More in Depth storylines.

Good stuff.
Oct 25, 2012 10:01 PM

Oct 2012
Otaking87 said:
mokona_mushroom said:

right id lke to see a us tv studod do a 52 episode historoc drama eatch year hmmm that it they cannot caue us history has been done to death in mpvies

..Wow. Your grammar and English are terrible. The historic dramas that the US has done are usually very good and very well acted. Band of Brothers for example, is superb and brilliantly acted. Another good mention is Roots which is so brutal and amazingly well done.

And of course, US historic movies are also usually excellent. (Gone With the Wind, Dances With Wolves etc. etc.) Even their movies about other countries are good. (Schindler's List, The Ten Commandments...etc, etc.)

Come on...Asian cinema can't compete with Us or Brit (European) films. Anime films are good though, but then again so are cartoon films.
Nov 3, 2012 12:56 AM

Nov 2012
JDramas
Nov 4, 2012 8:03 AM

Mar 2010
korean overall, but some jdramas are amazing!
also, hana yori dango > boys before flowers
Nov 5, 2012 5:47 AM
Nov 2012
Korean dramas, even though I hardly watch any of them.
Nov 5, 2012 9:20 AM
Mar 2011
mokona_mushroom said:
Otaking87 said:
mokona_mushroom said:

..Wow. Your grammar and English are terrible. The historic dramas that the US has done are usually very good and very well acted. Band of Brothers for example, is superb and brilliantly acted. Another good mention is Roots which is so brutal and amazingly well done.

And of course, US historic movies are also usually excellent. (Gone With the Wind, Dances With Wolves etc. etc.) Even their movies about other countries are good. (Schindler's List, The Ten Commandments...etc, etc.)

Come on...Asian cinema can't compete with Us or Brit (European) films. Anime films are good though, but then again so are cartoon films.

most Asian historic dramas tell both sides of a story not a very one sided view of things

sorry but i rather watch red Cliff than any us made War film based around the same sort of time oh wait the us has to Foucs on WW2 cause you lost nam did you not and you loat Iraq and the afncan war

and you hardly ever see Civil war mOvies Told from either the south side or that show some o the better Southerns in a Good light

there is alot of Japanese Movies based on WW2 Shock basing a Movie on a War we Lost

if you way US Vietnam Based Movies Vs Japanese Based WW2 Movies there is more of the latter

Nov 9, 2012 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
I don't watch drama..

If I got to choose, then Japanese..
Nov 13, 2012 11:56 AM
Nov 2009
I voted for J-Drama

Now it's 50/50
Nov 13, 2012 12:11 PM

Oct 2011
Sorry but I like Korean dramas. Lately there haven't been any good japanese dramas out :(
Nov 14, 2012 2:31 PM

Jun 2012
Japanese dramas 4ever!! :D
Nov 14, 2012 2:48 PM

Aug 2012
I'm loving Korean dramas at the moment they have been so addictive. I have seen a couple of Jdramas. For the moment it has to be Kdramas for the cheesy cliche romance....haven't got bored of them. But I don't mind whether it's J or K drama as long as it has a fantastic and epic story.

LOVED City Hunter by the way!!!!!!
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!
Mar 18, 2013 1:50 AM
Sep 2011
Okay, it's 50-50, when I voted hahaha
I voted J-drama because I can learn something about life in there :)
Mar 18, 2013 2:23 AM
Sep 2011
IZUMI64 said:
comparing K-drama to J-drama like comparing BIEBER to THE BEATLES or TWILIGHT to HARRY POTTER
love your quote
Jun 6, 2013 10:29 AM

May 2013
J-dramas def.

Please, please don't start hating on me. Not because I'm sensitive or anything, this just is my own opinion, and I would like to express it. You would be wasting your time to tell me I'm wrong and stupid, because 1. I don't care 2. you make yourself look hateful and narrow minded. I don't wish to keep quiet about my own thoughts when I see so many ignorant, shallow comments about how in Kdramas the guys are cuter, and that's why Kdramas are superior to ugly-men Jdramas.

On a side-note, both Jdramas and Kdramas have great actors. DO NOT say orientals all suck, because that is such a disgusting stereotype.

I hate it when people judge a drama because 'the guy/s are so ugly, I couldn't watch it!' That's so horribly close-minded, and just a terrible way to choose a drama. Don't a lot of people unused to Kpop/dramas think the men are gross and girly? Yet, fans adore their biases. Japanese faces are different, and after you get more used to them, you see why people think they're good looking. I started out in Kpop/dramas, yet I'm now more in love with Jpop/dramas. They both have great things, but I like Jdramas/pop more because I feel like they put more heart and emotion into it. Jdramas have more variety, for it's not always romance, not always the pretty guy with the pretty girl. Another thing is how Kdramas make their female leads in a princess/damsel role. Not always, but generally they do. I love that in Jdramas, the females are more independent and motivated.

A great example of this is in HYD and BOF. BOF was my first drama. EVER. And, oh how I LOVED it. But, once I watched HYD, it became my absolute favorite drama. BOF ruined Makino/Jan-di's character so, so much. Instead of strong, wonderful, and independent, MAKINO, Jan-di sobbed SO MUCH. During the piano scene, while Jan-di looked at Gu Jun Pyo longingly and said that all she knew was love, Makino gazed defiantly at Domyouji and told him that she wishes him happiness. At the end, Jan-di literally threw herself into a pool because a world where Gu Jun Pyo didn't remember her wasn't worth it.

Hana Kimi and To the Beautiful You. This one is short, since I didn't finished TTBY, but something I noticed is that the main girl in TTBY came to the school because she just completely adored the sports guy. While in HK came to Japan because even though she still admires Sano/sportsguy she thought is was her fault that he got hurt. I watched HK a long time ago, so I'm not sure it was exactly that. I wouldn't mind if someone cleared that up for me, if my memory fails. (^-^)

Ikemen Desu Ne and You're Beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE YB. It was the original, the first. I really, really like IDN though. Now that I've seen it, I would say they are on the same level. YB is more light-hearted, more silly and cheerful. While IDN is still funny and happy, it's more inspirational. IN YB, the main girl did not do anything spectacular. Yet, in IDN, the main girl came to an orphanage every. single. day. She did her best going there to entertain the children just so A.N. JELL could perform for them, despite all how skeptical everybody was.

I love both J and K dramas, that's true. But Jdramas to me make me feel more, for me they are more deep. There's more internal conflict, family, going against the world, motivation, just an amazing variety going on. Kdramas are more focused on romance. While it isn't bad, it gets repetitive.

That is my opinion. I just damn near wrote a whole essay to prove that my opinion is thought out and not blindly stated.

Everybody has their own thoughts and it's a repugnant thing to easily dismiss and degrade that. I am not trying to put down Kdramas fans, I am telling you I hope you can open up your mind past Jdramas looks, I hope you can stop putting down what other people love insensitively.

I may be overreacting, but I'm really tired of this blind, negative criticism of Jpop/dramas. If you actually read through my my over-the-top ranting here, I applaud you for making it through and thank you.
Jul 21, 2013 3:59 PM

Jul 2013
I watch both but I like Korean dramas a lot more than Japanese.
Sep 12, 2013 1:36 PM
Sep 2013
I think it's a bit pointless to compare the drama output of two entire countries. It probably comes down to which dramas you've seen in which. Obviously there are trends and tropes that Kdramas and Jdramas may use more than dramas from other countries, but it really comes down to the drama itself. I've seen J dramas with darn good looking guys and K dramas with men not considered attractive, I've seen great acting and poor acting in each, just like I've seen cheesy romance and ridiculously weak female leads in J dramas and moving, serious family drama done so well in K dramas. If you look outside of the super popular crack-dramas, there is so much variety, and some really great dramas to be had all around.
Sep 12, 2013 3:37 PM

Jul 2012
navime said:
J-dramas def.

Please, please don't start hating on me. Not because I'm sensitive or anything, this just is my own opinion, and I would like to express it. You would be wasting your time to tell me I'm wrong and stupid, because 1. I don't care 2. you make yourself look hateful and narrow minded. I don't wish to keep quiet about my own thoughts when I see so many ignorant, shallow comments about how in Kdramas the guys are cuter, and that's why Kdramas are superior to ugly-men Jdramas.

On a side-note, both Jdramas and Kdramas have great actors. DO NOT say orientals all suck, because that is such a disgusting stereotype.

I hate it when people judge a drama because 'the guy/s are so ugly, I couldn't watch it!' That's so horribly close-minded, and just a terrible way to choose a drama. Don't a lot of people unused to Kpop/dramas think the men are gross and girly? Yet, fans adore their biases. Japanese faces are different, and after you get more used to them, you see why people think they're good looking. I started out in Kpop/dramas, yet I'm now more in love with Jpop/dramas. They both have great things, but I like Jdramas/pop more because I feel like they put more heart and emotion into it. Jdramas have more variety, for it's not always romance, not always the pretty guy with the pretty girl. Another thing is how Kdramas make their female leads in a princess/damsel role. Not always, but generally they do. I love that in Jdramas, the females are more independent and motivated.

A great example of this is in HYD and BOF. BOF was my first drama. EVER. And, oh how I LOVED it. But, once I watched HYD, it became my absolute favorite drama. BOF ruined Makino/Jan-di's character so, so much. Instead of strong, wonderful, and independent, MAKINO, Jan-di sobbed SO MUCH. During the piano scene, while Jan-di looked at Gu Jun Pyo longingly and said that all she knew was love, Makino gazed defiantly at Domyouji and told him that she wishes him happiness. At the end, Jan-di literally threw herself into a pool because a world where Gu Jun Pyo didn't remember her wasn't worth it.

Hana Kimi and To the Beautiful You. This one is short, since I didn't finished TTBY, but something I noticed is that the main girl in TTBY came to the school because she just completely adored the sports guy. While in HK came to Japan because even though she still admires Sano/sportsguy she thought is was her fault that he got hurt. I watched HK a long time ago, so I'm not sure it was exactly that. I wouldn't mind if someone cleared that up for me, if my memory fails. (^-^)

Ikemen Desu Ne and You're Beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE YB. It was the original, the first. I really, really like IDN though. Now that I've seen it, I would say they are on the same level. YB is more light-hearted, more silly and cheerful. While IDN is still funny and happy, it's more inspirational. IN YB, the main girl did not do anything spectacular. Yet, in IDN, the main girl came to an orphanage every. single. day. She did her best going there to entertain the children just so A.N. JELL could perform for them, despite all how skeptical everybody was.

I love both J and K dramas, that's true. But Jdramas to me make me feel more, for me they are more deep. There's more internal conflict, family, going against the world, motivation, just an amazing variety going on. Kdramas are more focused on romance. While it isn't bad, it gets repetitive.

That is my opinion. I just damn near wrote a whole essay to prove that my opinion is thought out and not blindly stated.

Everybody has their own thoughts and it's a repugnant thing to easily dismiss and degrade that. I am not trying to put down Kdramas fans, I am telling you I hope you can open up your mind past Jdramas looks, I hope you can stop putting down what other people love insensitively.

I may be overreacting, but I'm really tired of this blind, negative criticism of Jpop/dramas. If you actually read through my my over-the-top ranting here, I applaud you for making it through and thank you.

u r a nut ^^

i see your issues with Jan Di - she rots hardcore. She robs Tsukushi of her Tsukushi-ness! But have u seen the anime? It is seriously better than any of the J, T, or K dramas/live actions. (Just saying)

I know this is supposed to be a debate between the two, but both K and J drama have their merits.

I've seen a ton of each by now and enjoyed them thoroughly on both sides. I truly look forward to what each country has to offer. I almost shit my pants when i watched Coffee Prince. The end was problematic, but the vast majority of it is incredibly well acted and written. And then I think of Hana Kimi -freaking hysterical! but soooo well done. But i digress! (sorry)

lets just all get along and watch some good dramas, k? :D
(happy post, tx if you actually read)
Sep 13, 2013 11:20 PM

Jul 2011
drinkbeer said:
hong kong dramas > japanese/korean dramas

Ambient_ said:
I've watched both of them an equal amount (read: equally as little), but if I had to choose which one was better, I'd have to say Korean.

They're both "meh" compared to my enjoyment with anime, and atrocious compared to good movies.

I've dabbled in Jdramas and a few Kdramas here and there. To be honest, Jdramas have the worst acting to me and I can't stand it... especially anime adaptations. (Q__Q so fakeeee) Korean dramas... well they're primary romance which isn't my genre, and their variety shows aren't as funny as the Japanese ones. And like someone else said, it seems to get repetitive when they're all romance. Kdrama acting is better than Jdrama acting for me, but I still feel like its stiff. I would prefer Hong Kong drama acting despite their stories (Asian dramas can be sooo cheesy). <-- Not saying they suck. If you like Kdramas and Jdramas, good for you. I'm not you.

And most people I know who watch Kdramas watch for the pretty boys/ actors... (aka. fangirls). I find that disappointing, but I know that isn't everyone.

Japanese variety shows kills me though. Love them.

50/50!

They all have their goods and bads.

I just prefer anime to all of it. :D
Mar 29, 2014 8:16 PM
Mar 2014
J-Drama wins for a number of reasons but K-Drama should be respected for the business acumen of the producers.

There are a number of moving parts to this question. Firstly, stiff acting, well only when compared to the super-casual western acting form that is normal today. Korean acting schools teach out of the same international book which is designed to click with international audiences, so we are all used to it. Japan makes real life drama set in Japan, which is a far more formal society than the US. Yet depending on the setting actors must switch from formal to aggressive to sweet, so I find it nuanced and far more interesting.

K-actors are indeed all good looking because all shows follow a business formula based on teen romance in the Beverly Hills 90210 mould. I love these types of drama, but because ALL the shows are 90210 clones, they will get boring after watching several shows.

As Koreans specialise in making teen romance, they will appeal to teens and the 20's and early 30's age group. Consider it their specialism. J-Drama is generally better for older people 'slice of life' style and original stories. 'Kekkon dekinai otoko' is a great example.

K-Drama/movies are famously Government sponsored and coordinated so their productions will always look super slick and polished. The Japanese are by far the more creative but their business models are so restrictive. My hope is that the Japanese producers will learn from the Korean wave and create super slick well funded dramas with model scouts and acting schools and film producers. This should create a real force. I think a JDorama wave would be immense.
Radical8Mar 29, 2014 8:24 PM
Mar 31, 2014 6:18 AM
May 2009
Mar 31, 2014 6:43 AM

Sep 2013
I don't care what type of drama. I don't care about the actors or actresses despite my friends gawking at them. Maybe I do care a little, just to bring on the conversation with my friends but other than that, no personal preferences. As long the story's good, I'm all in.
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Apr 2, 2014 11:23 AM
Mar 2014
Hmm both are good but I prefer korean more cuz their actors,plot and sound tracks r way better compared to jap but that may be just my opinion. I'm currently watching rooftop prince and the innocent man. Both r amazing works
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
6 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7562 by KingVamp_ »»
10 hours ago

» cardi b fans unite

batslimeman - Apr 18

1 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Yesterday, 10:46 AM

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3381 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 10:23 AM

» Duet Songs Recommendations?

Iroas - Apr 21

2 by Zettaiken »»
Yesterday, 6:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.