3It was OK
10.4%
2Disliked it
3.0%
1Hated it
0.7%
Average 4.3
135 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2008 6:57 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well it's apparent Earth doesn't trust Rubinsky at all. Not too surprising since it seems everyone is ready to stab each other in the back. I really want to know how much power Earth holds though. If all they are capable of is background manipulation I'll be a bit disappointed. Rubinsky's calculations concerning the balance of power never made any mention to them and I doubt he's including them with Phezzan in his numbers.

Yang has always been great at being a battlefield commander so that side of the war has always been taken care of. How he can fare if set up with a political war on the other hand is unclear. I don't think he has the finesse of Reinhard to be able to successfully navigate both. He's still too laid back.

Cazellnu's speech gives me the impression that the tables are turning and Julian is going to have to start seriously looking out for Yang. I'm not sure how much he can do other than physical protection though. He has zero political clout so he can't do anything in that arena to protect Yang. He's also just a Master Sergeant so he's got no serious military pull either.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Sep 3, 2008 10:41 PM

Feb 2008
Things are getting pretty crazy. It seems almost hard to believe how much influence and power Phezzan/Earth have in between things here, but I guess I'll see that get more developed in time.

Good point about Yang, he's brilliant when it comes to the battles, but with the internal struggles he definitely has his hands tied. Maybe Julian will rise to help him with these things or someone else will come into play ...

I'm guessing maybe this season will focus a little more on Yang, since the first seemed to develop Reinhard a little more. Whatever the case, things don't look too good for the Alliance.
Oct 15, 2008 8:49 PM

Aug 2008
This episode clearly shows how much power and influence Phezzan really has over the other two superpowers. Although I am betting Earth won't want to go with Rubinsky's plans. Seems to me like everyone is out to kill his neighbor or something. I can tell things are going to get really crazy soon.
Jun 19, 2009 4:03 PM

Apr 2009
There's gonna be a big free for all brawl for control of the universe coming eventually, and I can only see Reinhard and Yang (and their direct subordinates of course) making it out alive.
Osaka117Jun 19, 2009 4:52 PM

Sep 13, 2009 7:39 AM

Jan 2009
I had a feeling Phezzan had a lot under their belt, but to control as much as they do indeed feels as though they sit a little bit higher than everone else in the galaxy.
Nov 13, 2009 3:08 PM

Dec 2008
Yang looked magnificently stoned in the flashback. :)

I also appreciated his gentle correction at the toast.

"To Julian's safe return!" rather than celebrating his military achievements. A small detail but nicely done neverthless.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Apr 26, 2010 5:49 PM

Aug 2008
Heh, with the opening talking about the priests and Phezzon, all I could think of was the Jesuits and the Vatican and the whole league of conspiracy theories...Knights Templar and all that stuff. Don't know if that was a parallel being made, but I can see the idea there.
Apr 29, 2010 1:56 AM

Jul 2008
Not finished with the episode yet, however, I had to wonder if anyone else noticed that Julian has a Roomba?
Jun 19, 2010 6:55 PM

Jul 2008
I loved Yang in the flashback, he's so mellow. It's really starting to grow on me.

BEGINNER
Jul 22, 2010 10:31 AM

Jun 2008
Wow, even the Earth Church doesn't like Oberstein. I almost feel sorry feel him because everyone hates him.
Jul 23, 2010 12:32 PM

Jun 2008
I can't believe I yawned in this episode. I remember more about episode 28 than this one, and I've just seen this. Ah, well. What can I do.

Anyways, it's probably mostly due to how sleepy I am in the first place with the lunch I had.
Sep 8, 2010 2:41 PM

Jan 2010
i can't belive i'm looking forward to a reuental-mittermeyer episode :)

well the first 10 minutes were boring,and i know i checked to see how much i watched..but the 2nd part was actually really entertaining,i thought it only passed 5 more minutes not that the whole episode ended...

it's just a matter of time until Lohengram starts making some dumb decisions,and i'm looking forward to it lol

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Aug 6, 2011 10:26 AM
Jun 2011
It's not even a question of whether Yang can protect himself, but it seems like it's a question of whether he cares to. I know he's a laid back guy, but someone so versed in history should be a little more wary of his current situation I would think,
Sep 2, 2011 12:54 AM
Jul 2010
The Earth Cult is so incredibly retarded. They actually believed Rubinsky's plan to let a popular conquerer unify the galaxy, then kill him and transform his empire into a theocracy. I mean… what?

First there's the fact that an theocracy has to be formed out a religion the population is universally willing to be controlled by. In most cases there are enough splinter factions to make each one a rebel in the other's eyes, and in the Empire's case the Earth Cult has basically no presence. Good luck at population control.

Then there's the historical precedence that undermines their plans. When a conquerer dies without a strong successor, his subordinates divide the land in civil war. Territories break off, and the galaxy returns to pre-unification. The cultists just assume everything will work out if they conspire enough.

I'm so glad Rubinsky intends to fuck them over. Stupid cultists.
Oct 18, 2011 12:51 PM

Mar 2011
Sounds like Yang's going to have to start watching his back from now on, or someone's going to have to do that for him; such as Julian.
Apr 24, 2012 10:26 PM

Feb 2012
"Admiral Kircheis...if you were alive, surely you'd reason with him. But I...no, nobody else can do it. Only you could temper Prince Lohengramm's severity and peril. If only you were alive.... What should those who are alive do...?"

So right now, Hilda is nothing but a poor stand-in for Siegfried; it seems that she won't be playing the light to Oberstein's shadow after all. And accordingly, as Oberstein predicted, his own advisory role has been diminished in the opening episodes of the second season. Hilda and Oberstein will certainly be playing respectively important roles over the course of this season -- but Reinhard, Hilda, and Oberstein won't comprise the same Freudian trio that Reinhard, Siegfried, and Oberstein did.

The highlight of this episode, and one of the best-scripted sequences of the series so far, was the dinner at Cazelnu's. When I first started watching LOGH, I took to describing Yang as "indifferent." But Cazelhu did a better job at describing Yang's mindset: "Yang knows all about yesterday. He can also see tomorrow very well. Nevertheless, such a person is apt not to know about today."

I just hope that Julian isn't forced into the role of "food taster" too soon. I can't even say that Cazelnu's conversations with Yang and Julian were foreshadowing when they openly acknowledged that shit will be going down in the very near future.
May 30, 2012 5:04 PM

Jun 2009
Hakuromatsu said:
"Admiral Kircheis...if you were alive, surely you'd reason with him. But I...no, nobody else can do it. Only you could temper Prince Lohengramm's severity and peril. If only you were alive.... What should those who are alive do...?"

So right now, Hilda is nothing but a poor stand-in for Siegfried; it seems that she won't be playing the light to Oberstein's shadow after all. And accordingly, as Oberstein predicted, his own advisory role has been diminished in the opening episodes of the second season. Hilda and Oberstein will certainly be playing respectively important roles over the course of this season -- but Reinhard, Hilda, and Oberstein won't comprise the same Freudian trio that Reinhard, Siegfried, and Oberstein did.

This is a good thing actually. It's hard to imagine Hilda, who has only known Reinhard for a short time, to have anywhere near as much influence as Kircheis, who was an irreplaceable existence in Reinhard's life and whom he'd known for a long long time, just like that; if ever really. When an important character like Kircheis dies, the characters and viewer should really feel the loss of his presence. Which is why I liked Hilda's monologue at the end.

"Yang knows all about yesterday. He can also see tomorrow very well. Nevertheless, such a person is apt not to know about today."

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what Cazelnu means here. Well, it obviously means that Yang is great at using the past to define his plans, as well as thinking far ahead in battle, but is vulnerable in the present. But, I feel as though I'm missing something here.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 30, 2013 6:53 PM

Nov 2011
Yang's statement during the flashback about the military being a poor tool, so a soldier should try to be a harmless one interested me. It sounded like it grew out of his bias against his job. In any other case, if you are a tool, you would wish to be as useful as humanly possible, but in war, it could be different. Very seldom is war justified, so does one really want to be a significant part of that? Of course you do what your leaders tell you, so long as their commands are moral, and you always pursue the greatest good, but there are plenty of "small" things you could do to minimize damage done overall. Humans on one side of a conflict are just the same as humans on the other, and this show clearly demonstrates there is no such thing as black and white when dealing with states (or maybe I meant to say just "white" :s).

Joel_Shelton said:
Wow, even the Earth Church doesn't like Oberstein. I almost feel sorry feel him because everyone hates him.

That one Dalmatian liked him.
Sep 14, 2013 10:09 PM

Nov 2009
Weird. Wondering exactly where these people are that for instance support the Monarchy of the previous Kaiser for example. Or where the heck that dude talking to Trunihilt or w/e his name is was. . . Seems like random people popped up that are preparing to kill Yang and Reinhard.
Oct 3, 2014 5:06 PM

Apr 2012
Hilda should at least make an attempt to steer Prince Lohengramm in the right direction.
Nov 2, 2014 6:56 PM

Mar 2012
Oddyeus said:
Hilda should at least make an attempt to steer Prince Lohengramm in the right direction.

Yea, guess she's afraid she'll just piss him off lol.
Feb 19, 2015 6:01 AM

May 2012
Awesome episode, really interesting and informative! Looking forward to see what's next.
Feb 19, 2015 7:22 PM

Aug 2014
Pretty good episode.
I liked the political development of the alliance in this episode
May 26, 2015 9:33 AM
Nov 2014
Interesting episode, felt slow but the characters development are always good stuff and things are shaping up for the next epic battle.
Jun 24, 2015 7:12 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty slow episode but still interesting. Enjoyed the flashback with Julian and the bit towards the end with Hilda talking about Siegried.
Oct 1, 2015 1:37 PM

Jan 2014
That bishop looked creepy... but also cool :)
That Trunicht, eww, such a sneaky person.
Rubinsky's plan sounds like it could work...
Oct 12, 2015 1:41 PM

Nov 2012
Bishop looking like The Emperor Darth Sidious from Star Wars with that hooded cloak look lol

yup and we're still seeing how huge of an impact Sieg had on Reinhard even after his death, even pretty much all his subordinates know it too. He was pretty much like the voice of reason for Reinhard and his only real friend, which explains why Reinhard said that stuff about yang filling the void left in his heart possibly in the last ep of season 1.
Dec 17, 2015 6:20 AM

Apr 2014
I really had to pause and consider a few points in this episode, it was all conversation but each one was a wealth of information. It was a great episode imo
Jun 9, 2016 2:25 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah Heinessen, make an enemy out the guy who's practically the reason most of you guys are alive today...That's going to work out perfectly smh.
Oct 1, 2016 8:14 AM
Aug 2010
Tachii said:
I can't believe I yawned in this episode. I remember more about episode 28 than this one, and I've just seen this. Ah, well. What can I do.

Anyways, it's probably mostly due to how sleepy I am in the first place with the lunch I had.

cool story tacky-tan

Oct 22, 2016 5:52 AM

Aug 2014
Wow, this anime is gold it has politics, riots, coup, battles, history and drama.
And now conspiracies. Phezzan you wicked devils.
Great Episode.
Feb 12, 2017 5:28 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
statecraft!!! The same a chess game, but in this time only are play the pawns, small move movements to try to arrive the objetive!!! Phezzan are very inteligent, but how Phezzan don´t go be careful, is possible will be destroy by the two great players of this game, Yand and Lonenghran!!!!
Jan 20, 2018 9:51 AM

May 2016
I have to say this anime is really fast-paced and they talk so fast in the conversation I need to stop the episode more than ten times for each episode if they could have dragged this it would have been more than 300 episodes like these days anime, I definitely will give this show a 9/10 or 10/10 for now my score will be 9/10 but that could change depending on the other episodes.
Apr 3, 2018 5:01 PM

Jul 2012
Nice talk between Yang and Cazellnu.
He is a very interesting character, I wish he would appear more.
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Apr 24, 2018 12:07 PM
Sep 2016
Yang and Lohengramm have everything they’ve ever wanted from their careers and are both, in different ways, dangerously suicidal. Neither man is even contemplating starting a family, which is particularly odd in Reinhard’s case what with the necessity of founding his dynasty. Hildegard and Cazernes can both see their leaders’ pain but have no idea how to reach them to help. And Fezzan and the Church of Terra are running the entire war for their own benefit. I can’t see how either protagonist gets out of this show with a whole skin or soul.

Utterly gripping from start to finish.
Sep 19, 2018 7:49 PM

Feb 2017
At least the Phezzan guy is against repeat Crusades. That's a plus.
Oct 31, 2019 6:51 AM

Oct 2012
Damn these politics from the "same" sides, I fear for Yang and Reinhard in the near future
"Signature removed"
Dec 26, 2019 10:05 AM

Nov 2016
Wow, Phezzan and Rubinsky have hella influence and power. I really enjoy their participation as a dark horse fraction.

And warping Geiersburg? That's quite the grand plan as well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 11, 2021 2:18 AM

Jul 2016
fedaykin said:
Yang looked magnificently stoned in the flashback. :)

I also appreciated his gentle correction at the toast.

"To Julian's safe return!" rather than celebrating his military achievements. A small detail but nicely done neverthless.

I just assume Yang is always drunk or hungover...
May 23, 2021 3:58 PM

Feb 2012
2021 Rewatch

A lot of hidden agendas. The Bishop is correct to be cautious about Oberstein, (also turning Rubinsky's "nation's rot from the top down" onto Fezzan, oof). Rubinsky wants to use the the Terraist Church as pawns but will never accept the theocracy they want to established. I got to say, given how long LotGH is set from our present, this anime has shown that the very human thing called war still exists, I'm glad that they are exploring the other very human thing; religion.

Man, Yang's face and how he just nods in the flashback when Julian arrives...

They weren't joking when they said the High Commissioner was a bargaining chip with no skills. An Alliance of Planets and you get pushed around by a territory that's not even fully independent.

That Kesserling planting (or perhaps fueling) the idea that their top admiral Yang could start a coup d'état of his own...

Cazellnu and Yang playing 3D chess

Trunicht looking at the painting of himself...

Yeah, the idea of moving an existing fortress and expecting that many warp engines to sync is rather ambitious. If they dismantle and move each one individually, it wouldn't be operational in transit but it'd be easier to move.

Hildegard monologue at Kircheis's grave was on point.
Fortress_MaximusMay 24, 2021 2:32 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 18, 2021 10:45 AM

Jun 2020
feels like fezzan boutta get da jew treatment of da third reich
Dec 19, 2021 9:19 AM
Nov 2020
If only Kircheis were here...
Apr 9, 2022 7:12 PM

Dec 2007
this episode was quite long and contained tons of material and politic issues.
it felt more as this episode went to open the new story, rather than be on his own lol.

yang surely need to think more about the current present, while phezzan and yuniht are plotting to make him useless tool, he's thinking about retiring. what an interesting guy lol.

reinhard sure seems not thinking highly on the newly mission, and hidelga saw it through. that whole finish scenes only showed how big the hole kircheis left behind.
i actually laughed when hidelga saying to kircheis "are you alive?", as he may faked his death but actually alive lol.
Nov 16, 2022 9:14 AM

May 2018
The Earth cult is sly but Rubkinsky is slyer! ngl things are getting way out of hand; I can't wait to see the next war!
Jan 7, 2023 4:56 AM

Aug 2018
Very great development episode, specially politics wise, Phezzan is dangerousn with that much power, how will the whole thing balance out
May 25, 2023 4:15 AM
Dec 2021
fine episode, Phezzan's plans to de-stabilise both systems in order to compel the empire to full take over is interesting enough. So Reinhard is becoming a harsher individual. And big up Julian getting the promotion.  
Apr 7, 5:11 AM
Apr 2019
Even more Yang and Julia screentime and backstory.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.