Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 27, 2012 1:17 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode. The way they directed the scene of Kircheis' death and Reinhard's reaction to was very, very powerful. Knowing how the rest of this series plays out, I can't help but wonder how different events would have played out had Kircheis survived.

Also:

Edit: Has anyone watched the 720p version? If so, what do you think of the edited scenes with different art sprinkled here and there? I noticed it a few episodes back during a conversation between Yang and Frederica, but they went crazy with it these last two episodes. I don't mind the artstyle, in fact it does a pretty good job of expressing the emotions of the characters. But, the way it's sort of half-assed thrown in here and there is kind of jarring.

Yet, LoGH is so damn good I don't really give a shit. Lesser shows, this probably would bother me more.
Ston3_FreeN7May 27, 2012 3:48 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 30, 2012 4:06 AM
Aug 2011
My motivation in this anime until this point was the complex conflicts of good and evil. Yang represents a force of good subordinated by a corrupt government. The same is seen with Reinhard as a force of good subordinated within the Empire. These two forces of good are made to battle each other amid their mutual respect for each other in submission to the wills of their rulers. This complex interplay of ambitions and morals served to make this show so beautiful until this point.

There is evidence to believe that Reinhard--absent the influence of Kircheis and consequently embittered--will now become a force of "evil" reflecting the Empire he has just overthrown. If that happens, the narrative, it seems to me, will be reduced to one of simply good vs evil; Yang vs. Reinhard; the holy light of democracy against the dark threat of despotism. In other words, shallow and trite. I will continue to watch because I have no concrete reasons to doubt the quality of the anime. I just felt like voicing my contemplations; partially in hope that someone will reassure me that the following 84 episodes will be just as good as their predecessors.
May 30, 2012 8:13 AM

Feb 2012
Yang Wenli said:
There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good.

I wouldn't worry, itsjeremy6. LOGH does portray a few conflicts between good and evil, but they're typically minor and short-lived -- like Reinhard versus Braunschweig & co. in season 1. And even that had some greyness.
Aug 5, 2012 10:10 PM

Jan 2011
amazing ep, didnt expect kircheis to die so quickly
i think ill have to start making some changes on my top 10 anime is this keeps up the good stuff
Aug 16, 2012 10:56 AM

Oct 2010
KIRCHEIS! NOOOOO!
Sep 10, 2012 3:16 PM
Mar 2012
weird episode all right, why is the security so weak and his death lacked ambience
Sep 16, 2012 11:26 AM

Sep 2008
Shaduge said:
weird episode all right, why is the security so weak and his death lacked ambience

yea man, very weak security. Reminds me of JFK and Gandhi...you'd think they would have learnt from history, sheesh.

Not sure what you mean by ambience; I mean, if a death scene leaves me completely dumbfounded, nearly shell-shocked, ambience would be the last thing I'd care about.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 23, 2012 11:06 PM

Aug 2010
This show is getting a lot better, glad I kept watching. but why didn't someone knock the guy out? Like if someone pulls out an rpg, I'd tackle their ass. Kircheis was the only one that did anything, the rest just watched.
Feb 5, 2013 10:59 PM

Jul 2012
Great ep, RIP Kircheis. I only hope that Reinhard's handpicked admirals will take over the role that Kircheis played in some small capacity. I still think Oberstein is up to something. I have a feeling he told Reinhard's sister something else besides Kircheis's death. Hence why she wanted to move away from Reinhard. Of course, I'm only speculating. Can't wait to start the next season. Also, more than likely giving this series a 10/10 but I don't rate until I finish a series (in most cases).
Mar 31, 2013 4:50 PM

Jul 2012
RIP Siegfried Kircheis
Jul 17, 2013 6:06 PM

Apr 2012
I think I'm going to be depressed at least for the rest of the day. This series is so great but gosh darn that punched me right in my soul. I can't wait to see how everything plays out.
Jul 25, 2013 10:32 PM

Jun 2013
NOOOOOO Kircheis !!! Though that was smart of Oborstein to charge Lichtenlade for the crime.

But yeah, Reinhard got nothing to lose now, LET YOUR AMBITIONS FLY WITHOUT RESTRAINT !!!
Jul 30, 2013 6:11 PM

Aug 2008
Surprising end... though I have to say I'm a bit disappointed he died so early, Kircheis was one of the few truly interesting characters on the show among a sea of nameless faces. Now one of the best characters is gone... damn shame.
Jul 30, 2013 8:08 PM

Jun 2009
gswelcome said:
Surprising end... though I have to say I'm a bit disappointed he died so early, Kircheis was one of the few truly interesting characters on the show among a sea of nameless faces. Now one of the best characters is gone... damn shame.

Keep watching =)
Aug 20, 2013 1:45 PM
Dec 2010
First time I have cried during an anime/manga since reading Elfen Lied, way back in February of 2011.

The timing of Kiricheis' death took my by surprise, he was a great character and I'm going to miss him.

This is also the first time in a while that I wasn't able to accurately predict someone's death, so kudos to that as well.
Sep 10, 2013 3:46 PM

Apr 2012
Goddamn you Ansbach.

Siegfried Kircheis you will be remembered.
Sep 14, 2013 12:14 AM

Nov 2009
Not sure why the Allied forces were so happy with that little dispute. It looked to me like they lost quite a bit. Anyways can't wait to get back to seeing Reinhard v. Yang.

If I had one complaint though, it would be the fact that they seem to care about life, but then when Julian kills an entire ship (which has alot of people on it) they just go "wow! Good Job!" As if they actually don't care about killing people at all.
Sep 18, 2013 3:52 AM

Jan 2012
Incredible, and I thought LotGH's soundtrack couldn't get any better. Oh my, one of the best characters has just died in just a few seconds, I've to say this anime is legendary.
Sep 22, 2013 7:29 AM

Mar 2008
And tears were shed.
It happened right at the end, when I thought I was clear. When Reinhard visited Siegfried's grave.

This series really has been worth the hype, up to this point at least.
Sep 24, 2013 7:08 PM

Jul 2011
Echelon said:
Plate said:
KIRCHEIS NOOOOOO
...in the locket at the end, it looks like Reinhard kept some of Sieg's hair in there. :o

Yeah, I'm sure that's what that is.

I read nothing.

-blinks- He died? Just like that? What? Okay.

Oberstein is going to screw everyone over. I know it. Kircheis is gone now, so Reinhard has no restraint. And Oberstein sure as hell won't let this opportunity go to waste. I foresee the loss for the Empire already. Oberstein has already convinced the Admirals to follow his plans, and he'll be able to do it again. Reinhard seems rather cynical now. Full of distrust. I hope this is just a temporary phase.

I'm about neutral at this point, and I can say that I enjoyed the earlier episodes more (10-20 ish?). But I see lots of potential in the upcoming war. I want to see Yang vs. Reinhard pretty badly now. And I'm curious to see how this series will play out. So I'm sure I can enjoy the show very much from now onward, just not at this point.

Just a hunch, but Julian taking over Kirchei's position anybody? Think its a possibility? :O
Dec 4, 2013 7:56 PM

Feb 2013
Seig acted as Reinhard's limiter. Without him, I can see Reinhard becoming very cruel.
Dec 7, 2013 11:13 AM

Aug 2008
Tyestor said:
gswelcome said:

Keep watching =)

I completed this show about a week ago or so and this absolutely improves as it goes along. By the time it ended I felt myself deeply attached to the characters. Well, most of them at any rate. Still missed Kircheis throughout but others certainly stepped up.
Dec 21, 2013 1:40 AM

Sep 2013
Damn, this episode was really really good. That's all I can really say. The loss of Kircheis hit me harder than I thought it would in a show like this where people die like flies.
Dec 21, 2013 8:13 AM

Nov 2012
I fail to see a masterpiece in this work after 26 eps of watching. Should i continue?
Dec 24, 2013 6:41 PM
Jun 2013
johnyjohny said:
I fail to see a masterpiece in this work after 26 eps of watching. Should i continue?
You currently have it rated 8, is that not good enough for you?
Dec 25, 2013 12:04 AM

Nov 2012
Not_Cake said:
johnyjohny said:
You currently have it rated 8, is that not good enough for you?
Of course it is till a very fun watch. But considering i gave the whole top 9 a 10. I expected much more from it. Also 53% gave it a 10. I think i still have trouble getting into it becouse of the art and space battles.
Dec 25, 2013 8:18 AM

Oct 2008
johnyjohny said:
Of course it is till a very fun watch. But considering i gave the whole top 9 a 10. I expected much more from it. Also 53% gave it a 10. I think i still have trouble getting into it becouse of the art and space battles.

So what if you're not gonna give it a 10? If you're having fun then why drop it? I don't get it.
Dec 25, 2013 9:07 AM

Nov 2012
HATUL said:
johnyjohny said:

So what if you're not gonna give it a 10? If you're having fun then why drop it? I don't get it.
I'm am. I'm ad ep 38 now. But yes i should never have said that. It still watches away nicely.
Dec 28, 2013 9:04 PM
Oct 2011
KIRCHEIS
MY PRINCE
Why pls come back 2 me
Jan 3, 2014 9:40 AM

Mar 2012

Edit: Has anyone watched the 720p version? If so, what do you think of the edited scenes with different art sprinkled here and there? I noticed it a few episodes back during a conversation between Yang and Frederica, but they went crazy with it these last two episodes. I don't mind the artstyle, in fact it does a pretty good job of expressing the emotions of the characters. But, the way it's sort of half-assed thrown in here and there is kind of jarring.

It's really disconcerting to me. I hope it stops
Jan 4, 2014 2:22 AM

Sep 2013
Shakkuyaku said:

Oh so that's what it was! I've been wondering for a long time why the animation suddenly ups its level for a moment.
Jan 4, 2014 6:25 AM

Nov 2011
cupc said:
Shakkuyaku said:

Oh so that's what it was! I've been wondering for a long time why the animation suddenly ups its level for a moment.

Its cause in the DVDs and Blu rays, they "fix" previously poorly animated scenes with digitally re-ANIMATED (or RE-ASSTERED as I like to call it) segments, which stick out like a poor thumb, so if someone wants a good copy of the series with the most consistent animation in terms of style, track down the laserdisc which is on Nyaa. It's not a overly visual show, but having a consistent version does help the experience. The only real upgrade to HD are the Gaidens and the movies, which were properly remastered.
Jan 8, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2012
NO FUCK NO KIRCHEIS WHY
literally shocked me. and then i cried big fat tears over the death scene like i was reinhard himself. their bromance was my favourite thing about this series, i loved watching them conquer together and now omg dfhsiohaisfoha
poor reinhard he's so alone now
i shouldn't seen the death flags (previous ep i was like why the fuck are there 10 min of flashbacks) plus the whole alexander/hephaiston parallel -- but ugh ugh ugh

shit day for my favourite duo. one dies and the one other becomes evil
still, great episode
Feb 21, 2014 12:36 PM
Aug 2011
While I didn't expect everyone to stay alive I sure didn't expect Kircheis dying this early.
There's still 80+ episodes for god sake...
Though I guess if Lohengramm needed some motivation then what other motivation could he have needed than his friend's death.

I'm mostly daft so i've only just realized that Oberstein's voice is perfection. Extremely fitting.
It's very hollow and monotone and about as unnerving as Johan Liebert's Japanese voice was.
Mar 26, 2014 3:30 PM

Mar 2013
in my personal opinion i felt that the way they expressed reinhard's sadness was quite poorly done. in the prequel movies there was a scene where they managed to show so much emotion without even saying a single word yet for some reason they decided to just do the opposite and express emotion using just words and i feel that this really hurt the overall impact of it. it was just reinhard rambling on and on about how sad he is when they should of been showing how sad he is. i am enjoying this anime but i feel that it screwed up this part. dialogue is not a good replacement for raw emotion
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Mar 26, 2014 3:56 PM

Mar 2008
mattbenz99 said:
in my personal opinion i felt that the way they expressed reinhard's sadness was quite poorly done. in the prequel movies there was a scene where they managed to show so much emotion without even saying a single word yet for some reason they decided to just do the opposite and express emotion using just words and i feel that this really hurt the overall impact of it. it was just reinhard rambling on and on about how sad he is when they should of been showing how sad he is. i am enjoying this anime but i feel that it screwed up this part. dialogue is not a good replacement for raw emotion

I can see where you're coming from, but I feel it works to show just how big a collapse it caused.
Mar 26, 2014 4:22 PM

Mar 2013
Ckan said:
mattbenz99 said:

I can see where you're coming from, but I feel it works to show just how big a collapse it caused.
yes to some extent i agree but i feel that it just became to drawn out after a while.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 1, 2014 1:52 PM

Sep 2008
mattbenz99 said:
Ckan said:
mattbenz99 said:

yes to some extent i agree but i feel that it just became to drawn out after a while.

I guess everyone has a different way of showing emotion, and Reinhard, being flamboyant and dramatic, is not the sort who would show emotion through silence. Rather than being taciturn, it would be easier to imagine him being eloquent in expressing his sadness, even melodramatic to some extent.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 10, 2014 3:58 AM

Mar 2013
I was too stunned to react much initially, but as soon as the episode ended tears started streaming. Perhaps the most significant (permanent i.e Non DB/DBZ) Death i have ever seen in Anime.

RIP Kircheis, a True Friend we all wish we had. You will forever be the Great One in the LOGH Universe.
May 11, 2014 4:57 AM

Apr 2013
There goes the counterbalance to Oberstein. Just when I was warming up to Kircheis. His sister had to pile on and say they should be apart. Dam, Reinhard can't catch a break. That locket at the end with Kircheis' hair in it. That's weird Reinhard.
Jun 2, 2014 7:45 PM

Sep 2012
Best episode in this show so far. Poor Reinhard. Apparently this is where the show gets good. Considering the fact I already love it I don't know what that's suppose to mean, but ah well.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Jun 4, 2014 1:58 PM

Sep 2011
Cant say his death wasnt unexpected as the foreshadowing and death flags were very thick, but the death was masterfully handled that it made up for its predictability. The relationship felt veyr real between reinhard and sigfried and the way reinhard has reacted to the detah is a interesting turn of events for this character. Hes now lost the voice of reasons he has had to keep him contained together since he began his conquest of the empire, with that loss in addition to seeing the vengeful malice he displayed when ordering the execution of that one persons family is hinting at reinhard's eventual decent into madness. Im very interested in what comes next.

Also fuck oberstein, no matter what way you look at it this is his fault.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 30, 2014 1:29 AM

Apr 2012
wow I wasn't expecting Siegfried to die so early lol though there were deathflags in the previous couple of episodes; saying that "nice people(referring to Siegfried) die early). Also wasn't expecting him to die in the manner that he did. Now that Reinhard has lost his light (Siegfried) the shadows will overtake him. Yup it looks like Reinhard is a tragedy in the making.

A great pivotal episode
zzzeallyJun 30, 2014 1:34 AM

Aug 4, 2014 1:16 PM

Nov 2013
Oh gosh, I really hope Oberstein doesn't spend the next 30+/- episodes leeching off Reinhard's power. Just the sight of his face and that drawling voice saps away my life force.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 11, 2014 3:42 PM
Jan 2012
FUCK
Vexper said:
Oh gosh, I really hope Oberstein doesn't spend the next 30+/- episodes leeching off Reinhard's power. Just the sight of his face and that drawling voice saps away my life force.

I agree, I want him to die asap, but I was surprised how he protected Reinhard, he is more loyal than I thought.
MatijaxDAug 11, 2014 3:52 PM
Aug 11, 2014 4:05 PM

Mar 2013
Good to see another True Logh Fan (especially this "early" into the series) as evidenced by your Favorites and Favorite Character list, welcome MatijaxD!

MatijaxD said:
FUCK
Vexper said:

I agree, I want him to die asap, but I was surprised how he protected Reinhard, he is more loyal than I thought.

Yes Oberstein is a surprising one. He along with most other Logh characters are Multifaceted and Complex, and it's nearly impossible to Pin their Essence down to Black and White monikers like Good or Evil that other lesser anime are forced to do (sorry about the redundancy, putting "lesser" is extraneous since "other" anime in the context of Logh already implies intrinsic inferiority).
Sep 26, 2014 12:24 AM

Dec 2013
SlickDragon said:
I was too stunned to react much initially, but as soon as the episode ended tears started streaming. Perhaps the most significant (permanent i.e Non DB/DBZ) Death i have ever seen in Anime.

RIP Kircheis, a True Friend we all wish we had. You will forever be the Great One in the LOGH Universe.
Amen.

Proud to admit, I cried bucketfuls of manly tears this episode.

Why didn't any of the other officers do anything when the son of a dick pulled out a fricking rocket launcher?? There was at least a full 15 seconds of Kircheis struggling with Anschbad (or whatever his name is) and the others just stood there.....

I have mixed feelings about Oberstein now...Before I pretty much disliked him because of his hostility towards Kircheis. But this episode I saw hints of his loyalty to Reinhard...Im damn hoping that this anime doesn't become a tragedy about Reinhard...Im rooting for him! CONQUER THE UNIVERSE REINHARD!!

Reinhard asking Annerose if she loved Kircheis 0.0!! I had the feeling that they had feelings. Especially Kircheis towards Annerose...whether that be romantic or sisterly I have no idea. Beautiful story. Sad that Kircheis died :(((((((((

Forever A Man I Will Never Forget - To Kircheis
Sep 26, 2014 3:30 AM

Apr 2012
Without Kircheis, who will be there to ensure Reinhard doesn't fall to corruption?
Oct 31, 2014 7:29 PM

Mar 2012
Dam I didn't expect Siegfried to die so early in the series. Pretty sad since he was such a great character :(
Nov 25, 2014 4:55 AM

Feb 2013
Kiir-hee-ai-suuuuuu! ;-;
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.