Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2008 5:41 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It sucks that Truniht was able to come back unharmed. He wasted no time at all to turn Yang's victory into his own political advertisement. With Jessica dead, does he even have any higher-level opposition anymore?

So many defections. It's like switching sides is easier than tying shoelaces in this show. Merkatz barely makes Yang's acquaintance and he's already earned full trust.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 12, 2008 5:06 AM

Apr 2008
The scene with the comets attacking the Neclace was just so sick I had to watch it again.

Snnce Greenhill's body is to be autopsied, they will no doubt figure out that he was shot by someone other than himself. If they come to the conclusion that they should, I wonder how the alliance will deal with the information. Fredrica may become much more anti-empire.

5/5
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Oct 31, 2008 6:05 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Glad to find out that Merkatz will be a major ally of Yang in the future.

So now Yang has talented Schenkopp, Jessica, Julian, Merkatz and possible Bagdashu under him? The Yang crew is growing to be not bad at all!
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 20, 2009 7:19 AM

Jan 2008
Poor Frederica. I want to hug her. And stuff.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 18, 2009 10:12 PM

Apr 2009
Its so damn awesome how flawless the pacing in this series is. Just as Reinhard surrounded himself with skilled subordinates, Yang, with the new addition of Merkatz, is gaining his own talented crew, and it all flowed naturally. Its only a matter of time until Reinhard's and Yang's talented crews meet in a gigantic physical and metal battle.

Jul 30, 2009 1:30 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, the inevitable battle between Yang and Reinhard is going to be badass.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 6, 2009 4:45 PM

Jan 2009
Poor Greenhill, having to go down to that disgusting bastard who fled El Facil.

On the other hand, Yang picks up Merkatz, who plans on doing battle against Reinhard in the future. Seems the Alliance is steadily picking up more competent commanders.
Sep 13, 2009 12:33 AM

Aug 2008
Well, all civil wars are finally over. So I'm guessing we'll get a little peace and reorganization before the next intense round of battles. Yang & Lohengramm seemed to have both strengthened themselves through the civil war. I never really understood the noble's complete disdain for Lohengramm, besides being jealous of his talent and misinterpreting the Kaiser's pedobear lust for his sister. Merkatz doesn't strike me as that unreasonable and petty a person. So why did he flee to the Alliance?
Nov 12, 2009 9:40 AM

Dec 2008
tainteddonut said:

So many defections. It's like switching sides is easier than tying shoelaces in this show. Merkatz barely makes Yang's acquaintance and he's already earned full trust.

Indeed. This context almost lends credibility to people's speculations that Julien might one day join the empire. It's difficult to believe that he would ever betray Yang though.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Mar 13, 2010 3:11 PM

Apr 2009
Ugh, what a sucky way to die for Greenhill, at the hands of such an inferior opponent D: I feel bad for both him and Frederica.
Yay, the next ep focuses on Reinhard/Kircheis! I want to see this. Wonder if Sieg will say something or just remain silent about Oberstein's fatal advice (well, fatal for Westerland at least)...
And Truniht...go make yourself taller >.>
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 13, 2010 9:21 PM

May 2010
Oberstien is the Prince that Machievelli envisioned, isn't he? So cold and utterly ruthless, he is the sort of guy that nobody wants to succeed yet manages to succeed simply due to his lack of remorse. Much greater power can be achieved without that pesky conscience, right? This episode didn't surprise me too much, though that comet attack against the necklace was totally badass. Man, I am getting more and more into this show with every episode. Originally I was cursing how long it was, but now that I'm 24 episodes in, I almost kind of wish it was even longer. Before the epic confrontation between Yang and Rienhard, something has to be done about Truniht. I bet he'll be done with within 20 episodes.
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 3, 2010 5:18 PM

Jan 2010
is this the end of season 1?

awesome episode...again :D

poor jessica :-(,and greenhill was killed shamelesly,those a**holes

and who the **** is truniht lol

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 5, 2010 9:31 AM

Sep 2008
clannad4ever said:
is this the end of season 1?

not yet. I think 27 or 28 is where s1 ends.

clannad4ever said:

and who the **** is truniht lol

5/5

that greedy politician who has this stupid smirk on his face most of the times, remember? I think he was the head of the council or something...man I have a really bad memory. oh well at least I remember his face
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 20, 2010 5:37 PM

May 2010
Oh man now Anna's daddy is dead too, Tenma, I mean Yang now has to deal with all this crap by himself

*takes hat off and scratches head*
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 20, 2010 6:14 PM

Jun 2009
I fail to see the similarity between Yang and Tenma. Besides, Yang came first anyway.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 21, 2010 1:12 AM

Sep 2008
same here. Their personalities are quite different
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 3, 2011 9:39 AM
Jun 2011
So now both Reinhard and Yang have taken out an Artemis Necklace that was believed to be undefeatable. They are very clever.
Aug 31, 2011 4:02 PM
Jul 2010
DonKangolJones said:
Merkatz doesn't strike me as that unreasonable and petty a person. So why did he flee to the Alliance?
I wondered the same thing. Merkatz was originally going to kill himself like many of the prouder nobles did, but his subordinate persuaded him to defect. He probably didn't really want to die (who does?), and was a little pissed that Reinhard just raped the Goldenbaum Dynasty, which Merkatz had spent decades fighting for. It's just hard to believe him being insulted enough to join a democracy he's attacked for the same decades. Mysterious guy
Aug 31, 2011 5:34 PM
Jun 2011
He was forced to fight against Reinhard to keep his family safe, but I don't think he really wanted to. Once that threat was gone he was a man without a ruler. He didn't feel he could go to Reinhard so he just continued the fight he was waging with a new team. In reality it's not defecting since his loyalty was to the Goldenbaum Dynasty. To him it was more honorable keep fighting Reinhard...He may not have hated Democracy as much as he was just fighting because that's the way the Kaiser wanted it...and the Kaisers before him.
Aug 31, 2011 7:18 PM
Jul 2010
Grisle said:
He was forced to fight against Reinhard to keep his family safe, but I don't think he really wanted to. Once that threat was gone he was a man without a ruler. He didn't feel he could go to Reinhard so he just continued the fight he was waging with a new team. In reality it's not defecting since his loyalty was to the Goldenbaum Dynasty. To him it was more honorable keep fighting Reinhard...He may not have hated Democracy as much as he was just fighting because that's the way the Kaiser wanted it...and the Kaisers before him.
Yeah that's probably it. Merkatz is a classic, politically-conservative soldier. He has this follower's mentality that urges the ruling class to stay in power. People who try to change his degenerative society become enemies of the order Merkatz believes he keeps, so he unwittingly participates in cycles of violence. Basically another idiot who's smart enough to wage war, but not enough to understand why it's happening.

Honestly Merkatz, and his arbitrary nationalism that's smothered in cognitive dissonance, is probably the most realistic general-type character LoGH has. His contradictions aren't even frustrating!
Oct 15, 2011 3:44 PM

Mar 2011
What a great episode. Good to see the Alliance's coup has been dealt with, but I'm saddened by the death of Greenhil (feel bad for Frederica).

Yang is getting a good team just like Reinhard.
Oct 23, 2011 10:57 PM

Aug 2010
Beatnik said:
Dec 16, 2011 2:29 PM

Sep 2009
The scene with the ice was just awesome.
Mar 22, 2012 11:07 AM

Feb 2012
Good to see the Alliance again. I was starting to get a bit tired of the Empire because the nobles were such caricatures, always thinking of their own pride more important than the lives of subordinates. Of course there are people like that but the show was creating a black-and-white situation within the Empire which I found tedious.

On the Allied side, I was previously more reserved about Yang Wenli because he felt like a caricature as well, someone who's supposedly better at tactics and politics than anyone else even though we never see him dedicate his time to studying etc. Instead he just lazes around and drinks brandy. Sure there are talented people, but people who spend their time learning something will eventually always surpass the geniuses who don't try to improve the natural skills. Now at least he seems to take his tasks seriously.
Apr 16, 2012 1:23 PM

Feb 2012
"Political corruption isn't just politicians taking bribes. That is just the corruption of individual politicians. Political corruption means that people aren't free to criticize politicians for taking bribes."

It was poorly translated by Sue, but the principle behind that line is so powerful.
Sep 13, 2013 7:09 PM

Nov 2009
Merkatz fleeing the army was poorly explained in my opinion. He seemed to be reasonable, and able to set personal pride aside for the good of his fleet. Not to mention the fact that he didn't exactly agree with siding w/ the prince in the first place (and technically the prince was the rebel. I mean the next Kaiser was supposed to be that child who was next in line (although practically speaking wouldn't normally be since he was too young), but this whole situation made no sense)

Anyways feel bad for the Lt. I hope she doesn't do anything stupid later on or that she is too grief stricken.
Jun 2, 2014 6:49 PM

Sep 2012
You just have to feel sorry for Frederica. Her father died after betraying the entire country.

Besides that, great episode as always. This show has a chance to become one of my favorites.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Sep 10, 2014 1:50 AM

May 2013
The faces on the military councils and Greenhilles face when Reinhards scheme was revealed was priceless.

Yangs speech about political corruption is quite notable.
Sep 25, 2014 9:37 PM

Dec 2013
Lt. Greenhill and Yang seriously need to get together -.- IM SICK OF THIS. MAKE A DAMN MOVE YANG!!
Hoping Yang will find the initiative to get rid of Trunhit. He is the corrupt one.

On a side note I really want to see Yang and Reinhard work together...Maybe crush Phezzan together. I don't like Phezzan one bit.
Oct 30, 2014 7:34 PM

Mar 2012
Such a pointless civil war for the Alliance.

Just lost a ton of good men and civilians for a crappy attempt at a half assed coup that was ironically started with the help of the Empire.
Nov 12, 2014 10:44 AM
Apr 2008
Homolust said:
Beatnik said:
Feb 9, 2015 11:42 AM

May 2012
Great development! Let's find out what happens next!
Feb 14, 2015 5:36 PM

Aug 2014
So the civil war is over. The part with the Greenhill family was sad. It was odd how easily the rebellion came and how quickly and easily it was crushed, but then again Reindhart wasn't expecting anything long term anyways.
Feb 14, 2015 5:55 PM

May 2013
berserker15 said:
So the civil war is over. The part with the Greenhill family was sad. It was odd how easily the rebellion came and how quickly and easily it was crushed, but then again Reindhart wasn't expecting anything long term anyways.

Doesn't really matter whether or not it was crushed. I imagine the FPA becoming a dictatorship would actually make it weaker since people wouldn't want to fight for that.
May 19, 2015 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, where did those near light speed traveling chunks of ice come from. I must have lost focus at that part.
The civil wars were over pretty quickly
May 20, 2015 8:31 AM

Jun 2013
RediceRyan said:
Great episode, where did those near light speed traveling chunks of ice come from. I must have lost focus at that part.
The civil wars were over pretty quickly

Those ice chunks came from the planet Srinagar in the same system as Heinessen. You can observe the Yang Fleet harvesting the ice while Baghdash was broadcasting his speech to Heinessen. =)
May 26, 2015 4:05 AM
Nov 2014
And so, ends the civil war. FPA took the heavier casualty imo compared to the empire.
Jun 23, 2015 3:02 PM

Dec 2013
I felt bad for Frederica. I wonder if they'll realise that Greenhill didn't kill himself during the autopsy.
Aug 13, 2015 11:12 PM

Jan 2014
TheOtherJN said:
Homolust said:
stuff especially
Aug 17, 2015 9:21 PM

Aug 2013
Lynch got that headshot in before he died, what a thug.
Oct 12, 2015 1:23 AM

Nov 2012
Avenger-senpai said:
Such a pointless civil war for the Alliance.

Just lost a ton of good men and civilians for a crappy attempt at a half assed coup that was ironically started with the help of the Empire.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Jun 8, 2016 2:18 PM

Aug 2014
Lol so true...Merkatz just joined and I already trust him more than Bagdashu.

Just die already Truniht.

Greenhill died in such an uninpressive way tbh.
Sep 27, 2016 6:41 PM

Mar 2016
Easily one of the best episodes thus far, especially that quote on political corruption

Trunhit is just one of those dicks you love to hate tbh. He's an asshole who'd do anything to gain more power but you have to admire him for stooping to ANY level in order to gain more support.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 21, 2016 2:02 PM

Aug 2014
I hope there will be other good commanders to compensate for all the loses on each side.
Great Episode as usual.
Jan 6, 2017 1:35 AM

Apr 2016
You can tell how much Yang hates Truniht. Remember to wash your hand if you meet the same situation XD

Joking aside, really like this episode. The political affairs in this was really interesting. Merkitz seems to be a very complicated person.

First he didn't want to join the civil war to have a good retirement. But situation gets nastier, he turned serious mode on, devoting himself for the high Nobles side, not a single complaint was made.

In the end of the war, he decided to end his life to protect his pride, refusing to surrender to Reinhard, which can imply that despite his respect towards Reinhard (i don't remember which episode but he did tell the Noble to not look down on him), the man's pride is just too big, deep inside he doesn't want to acknowledge Reinhard i assume, so he rather die than submit.

However, once again thing is twisted, his subordinate prevented his commiting suicide and tell him to join the Alliance side, which is what he had been fighting with for all his military career.

So i wonder what is his real intention here. Is it that his loyalty to Goldenbeum Dysnaty is at its absolute fixed, or he just want to pay Reinhard back for defeating him at the civil war, protecting his pride? Or could it be that he want to live a little bit longer (he said he wanted to retire few episode back so i figure).
Jan 17, 2018 9:44 AM

May 2016
That bastard Trunhit wasn't there a way to kill that jerk secretly.
Sep 19, 2018 12:11 AM

Feb 2017
Lol, Lynch sure rubbed it in the council's faces.
Mar 1, 2019 2:36 AM

Aug 2017
I wonder why did Lynch come out as the plotter behind the military revolt? Why on Earth would he expose himself? Maybe he just wanted to feel superior, idk. And why did Greenhill and others not do anything about Lynch instantly D: Could've arrested him, y'know.

Also, how did Bagdash manage to translate the message to the whole population? Did he come back to Heinesen to give a speech, lol? Or did Yang's men hack the monitors on the squares so that the message could be broadcasted? Kinda strange, but whatever
Oct 29, 2019 5:26 AM

Oct 2012
That's sad, was hoping Greenhill (dad) is going to be ok
But that's just a very wishful thinking

Damn that annoying politician is alive, what a shame

The civil wars between the sides are over now, the real wars start now
"Signature removed"
Feb 9, 2021 1:55 AM

Jul 2016
Grisle said:
So now both Reinhard and Yang have taken out an Artemis Necklace that was believed to be undefeatable. They are very clever.

Bot5h brilliant. Can't wait till they go head to head.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.