Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2010 3:39 PM

May 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Ah, it looks like we finally got some meaningful development concerning Thorfinn and his past. My guess is that the other farmers who messed up their fields might drive Thorfinn to help rediscover exactly what else he is missing. Hopefully the author continues this in the next chapter.
Oct 24, 2010 5:21 PM

Jan 2009
so the stage is set, characters fleshed out, trouble gathers at the horizon-or in our hero's face-and Thorfinn is not getting an NBA gig anytime soon,, his dad was huge though, oh well

alcuradOct 24, 2010 5:36 PM
Oct 24, 2010 5:26 PM

Oct 2009
Well, this is developing little by little. At least Thorfinn can think...
Oct 24, 2010 7:20 PM

Jan 2009
I can foresight the ending of the Farm Arc already... it will take a couple of months tho.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Oct 24, 2010 8:47 PM

Mar 2010
New goal for Thorfinn: Avenge the wheat!
Oct 25, 2010 12:51 AM

Mar 2009
if weat is what it takes for some action so be it anything to make the farm arc end
Oct 25, 2010 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
In discussion of chapter 66 or 67, i just yapped that something will happen to the harm and looks like it end up that way. I bet it is the work of those 2 bastards

But good philosophy shown in this chapter.
Oct 25, 2010 7:52 AM

Apr 2008
Hattori_Hanzo said:
New goal for Thorfinn: Avenge the wheat!

I lol'd. And the lesson for the next chapter: never fuck with Thorfinn's wheat.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 25, 2010 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
To be a great warrior one must have been a great farmer v.v I feel like the mangaka was playing/watching too much dungeon seige for his own good
Oct 25, 2010 11:59 AM

Aug 2007
I'm just glad when the farming finally stops and we get some nice bloody action. Thorfin is NOT supposed to be a farmer, he's destined to become a great warrior. :<
Oct 25, 2010 1:32 PM

Sep 2008
I see a lot of constructive feedback here. Nice job summing up the chapter, people.

5/5
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 25, 2010 1:42 PM

Jan 2008
kennikitty said:
I'm just glad when the farming finally stops and we get some nice bloody action. Thorfin is NOT supposed to be a farmer, he's destined to become a great warrior. :<

Either that, or revenge and selfish violence are futile acts that our hero will come to realise on his journey to Vinland to become a farmer till the end of his days.

I wonder which?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 25, 2010 5:40 PM

Jan 2010
Finally a bit of nice development. Everything was looking up, but...DEAR GOD, THE WHEAT!
Oct 26, 2010 1:04 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
kennikitty said:

Either that, or revenge and selfish violence are futile acts that our hero will come to realise on his journey to Vinland to become a farmer till the end of his days.

I wonder which?

NO You're wrong! THIS is supposed to be a viking battle manga with blood and boobs! I WANT MY BLOOD AND BOOBS!!!!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 26, 2010 9:34 AM
Oct 2008
No Afterglow comment yet? :D
Oct 26, 2010 4:13 PM

Jul 2008
No, I was just so disappointed at the lack of farming in the chapter that I'm at a loss of words, and I had to force myself to come here and write...

This is not a psychological, post traumatic stress saga up in this bitch, God damn it!
Give me my plows, my horses, my wheat and my Einar's Lessons for Life!
That is the reason I'm reading it, not for some semi-shonen/seinen action.
We already have that in a multitude of titles, what about THE FARMING?!
This is not the manga I have grown to love! The focus was shifted way too far from the main point of the chapter; the broken wheat!

I mean, what the hell is this, what are they doing to my beloved Farmland?
Nightmares, Askeladd and forgiveness, while the field is out there, unsupervised and un-prayed for. Am I the only one who was feeling slightly stressed out during the chapter? Not that it was for not, you see what happens if you leave the field unsupervised for too long.

Now, jealousy between the servants and the slaves, this can create some serious friction at the farm, it may jeopardize everything, but how is a slave to handle it? That would be interesting to see, but I guess we once in a while have to sit through a boring chapter to set the mood and create some conflicts. I'm hoping for a another great farm-politics chapter next month.

But sure, it wasn't all bad, the whole throwing the net to catch fish was just awesome. Who could've known catching fish with a net was that hard?

Oh Farmland, you never cease to amaze me.
Oct 26, 2010 8:07 PM

Mar 2010
AfterGlow said:
No, I was just so disappointed at the lack of farming in the chapter that I'm at a loss of words, and I had to force myself to come here and write...

This is not a psychological, post traumatic stress saga up in this bitch, God damn it!
Give me my plows, my horses, my wheat and my Einar's Lessons for Life!
That is the reason I'm reading it, not for some semi-shonen/seinen action.
We already have that in a multitude of titles, what about THE FARMING?!
This is not the manga I have grown to love! The focus was shifted way too far from the main point of the chapter; the broken wheat!

I mean, what the hell is this, what are they doing to my beloved Farmland?
Nightmares, Askeladd and forgiveness, while the field is out there, unsupervised and un-prayed for. Am I the only one who was feeling slightly stressed out during the chapter? Not that it was for not, you see what happens if you leave the field unsupervised for too long.

Now, jealousy between the servants and the slaves, this can create some serious friction at the farm, it may jeopardize everything, but how is a slave to handle it? That would be interesting to see, but I guess we once in a while have to sit through a boring chapter to set the mood and create some conflicts. I'm hoping for a another great farm-politics chapter next month.

But sure, it wasn't all bad, the whole throwing the net to catch fish was just awesome. Who could've known catching fish with a net was that hard?

Oh Farmland, you never cease to amaze me.

LOL

I'm sure the sequel "Farmland Saga II: Return of the Wheat" will bring more epic farming drama to satisfy you. XD
Oct 27, 2010 1:56 AM

Sep 2008
AfterGlow said:

for some semi-shonen/seinen action.

and thats exactly where most people went wrong when they decided to read the manga
Oct 27, 2010 2:57 AM

Mar 2010
eyerok said:
AfterGlow said:

and thats exactly where most people went wrong when they decided to read the manga

Agreed. I'm always glad for more non-shonen titles. Kids should take their bitching elsewhere.
Oct 27, 2010 3:26 AM

Jul 2008
eyerok said:
AfterGlow said:

Duh, they should've picked it up for the awesomeness of farming, not some ghey action.
Oct 27, 2010 4:07 AM

Sep 2008
AfterGlow said:
eyerok said:
AfterGlow said:

Duh, they should've picked it up for the awesomeness of farming, not some ghey action.

yeah, there's plenty of other manga with mindless ghey action and boobs, I dont read mangas normally and even I can practically come up with a list of at least 10 on the top of my head. But there's hardly any manga that has the balls to show the reader a middle finger and go in its own direction.
Oct 28, 2010 1:26 AM
Sep 2008
Alright, the story's finally picking up again. As hilarious as Farmland Saga was, it's good to see Thorfinn finally buck up and a shocking new development to happen.

Of course, history demands that they get off the farm, Thorfinn find a woman, and all of them sail to Vinland.
Oct 28, 2010 6:07 AM

Dec 2009
LOL you guys are hilarious. It was a good chapter though. I enjoyed the philosophy.
Oct 28, 2010 7:19 PM

Jul 2009
horrible translation (using abbreviations ?? ) nice chapter tho, I enjoyed it. Quite sleepy so cba to go in-depth.
Nov 4, 2010 5:44 PM

Mar 2009
I hope he doesn't just stay looking like that for the whole series. He was badass before the stupid farm.
Nov 5, 2010 7:09 PM

Aug 2009
like a lot, hopefully we will get some action in next chapters.
Nov 7, 2010 4:34 AM
Nov 2008
Think of the amount of ale one could have brewed with that wheat. :(

Nov 16, 2010 3:49 PM

Sep 2008
Just read this plus 4 other chapters I queued up. I forgot how amazing this series was. Shame on people who "can't wait for some bloody action", sure, the setting has changed, but the consistency of quality has stayed constant.
I kinda wished I had queued up one more chapter before reading this one, cliff-hanger!!
Nov 28, 2010 1:28 AM

Mar 2009
The new chapter is almost upon us, and I'm only now commenting on this one. Man...

What can I say but another great chapter. Thorkell's dream, his discussion with Einar about Askeladd, and the scene at the beach, all made the chapter for me. There were a few interesting developments also, like the death of the almighty wheat, for one. I honestly shed a few tears. =(

Vinland Saga needs more blood and boobs, though. =P

I have to say I'm a little disappointed that Hox has stopped translating, all thanks to Mangastream. Despite MS's high quality scans, we're left with a subpar translation...and....this:
Nice sky
Feb 6, 2013 12:38 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
You can do a lot of things, but you do not mess with a mans wheat!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 21, 2015 6:53 PM

Apr 2014
Excellent! That was some character development. It was about time Thorfinn started reflecting.
Feb 16, 2016 11:07 PM

Dec 2013
Really really enjoyed the Thorfinn's development.

Nooooo not the wheat!
Feb 27, 2017 4:38 PM

Dec 2015
Is no one going to comment on how amazing the dream was drawn, like that movement of falling down the cliff was visually just so well depicted!!

And different from most of you, I really enjoy where the plot and the character of Thorfinn are going, it reminds me a lot of the farming arc in Vagabond.

I understand that it must have been hard to wait a month for irregular lengths and "unpredictable" content but the author is doing really great and going somewhere really good with this (in my opinion).

I wish similar mangas could take the time to properly develop their main character like this or at least offer more realistic philosophical questioning, reflection when it comes to their human warrior characters.

I have huge respect for Yukimura sensei, to try and construct an epic tale like this; risking to lose readers like the people who keep complaining in this thread, ultimately deciding not to sacrifice the quality of the story for more popularity.
Apr 7, 2017 5:02 AM

May 2014
Was getting kinda bored, but at least the story is progressing nicely now
Nov 4, 2017 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
It was already clear enough through Thorfin's behavior and appearance that he, "became empty", but this chapter just had to point it out, ruining any subtletey.
Jul 1, 2019 8:22 AM

Mar 2019
I guess it's time to retire from the farmland saga.
Jul 22, 2019 5:04 PM

Sep 2014
This is better than the war arc lol
Dec 9, 2019 3:35 PM

Nov 2016
Glad that Thorfinn reflected on his past self.

And damn, those fookers messed with the wrong field.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 11, 2020 2:00 PM

Apr 2018
This was a beautiful chap that line "Without hatred I am empty" hit me hard it was so simple yet beautiful and I am loving how Thorfinn is actually talking about his feelings calmly without getting angry as he used to. Also I think the thing he is missing is maybe going to Vinland
Mar 3, 2020 5:43 PM

Jun 2015
Good wholesome chapter, but can't say the same about that devastated wheat. Someone will lose his cool.
Feb 9, 2021 9:21 AM
Jul 2018
The biggest thing missing from vinland saga was a sense of development for thorfinn regarding his thoughts of revenge... I'm glad I decided to pick up the manga because this chapter shows he's finally learning. Definitely bumping my score for the show up a bit. 14 chapters in and this is incredible.
Jul 3, 2022 1:51 PM

Sep 2014
amazing art this time, deep dialogues, essence of kino chapter + we fisherman now

Women fear me, fish fear me, men turn their eyes away from me as i walk. No beast dare makes a sound in my presence; i am alone on this barren earth

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Yesterday, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

6 by Hei316 »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.