Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2010 4:43 PM
Oct 2010
Hey guys! I am a new member who has been here a couple of days now. I realized I need to get some new anime to start watching again and I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on how to get it!

Do you like to torrent? Do you think it is a safe way to get anime? Do you like using alternatives such as streaming or do you prefer to buy/ rent?

Thanks for your help! : D
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 22, 2010 4:45 PM
Dec 2009
I Mostly use streams. You can easily google streams & torrents.
Oct 22, 2010 5:03 PM

Feb 2010
Using torrents is the best way to get anime.
Oct 22, 2010 5:26 PM
Oct 2010
Do you think it's safe? I have always been a little skeptical of copyright infringement and the like. Also, I'm not sure how closely my school is watching me. XD
Oct 22, 2010 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
i torrent when i download cuz you can get the whole series at once. like hell im gonna sit there and download each episode individually. and as far as i know downloading/torrenting fansubbed anime is perfectly legal. i may be wrong. i know if its unlicensed its legal to download.
Oct 22, 2010 5:36 PM

Mar 2008
Torrenting is definitely the easiest way to get shows of decent video quality in my opinion, though since my college's wireless sucks ass I ususally DDL whenever I can.
Oct 22, 2010 5:48 PM

Oct 2009
jpem said:
i torrent when i download cuz you can get the whole series at once. like hell im gonna sit there and download each episode individually. and as far as i know downloading/torrenting fansubbed anime is perfectly legal. i may be wrong. i know if its unlicensed its legal to download.
Download/streaming is illegal for the most part but nothing can really happen to you for it...

If you are going to torrent either use the fansubbers website or a anime torrent site like Nyaa or bakabt.

A list of fansubbers should be listed on the anime page but you probably already knew that...
Oct 22, 2010 5:55 PM
Oct 2010
Gogetters said:
jpem said:
Download/streaming is illegal for the most part but nothing can really happen to you for it...

If you are going to torrent either use the fansubbers website or a anime torrent site like Nyaa or bakabt.

A list of fansubbers should be listed on the anime page but you probably already knew that...

Nope! Thanks. : D
Oct 22, 2010 5:58 PM

Jun 2010
Torrenting is pretty great. I love being able to start downloading a series right before I go to work, and it's ready to watch when I get home.

Not sure if I'd agree with the recommendation for NyaaTorrents, but BakaBT is definitely a great site for torrents. There have been a few series/OVAs that I'd swear up and down that no one would have anymore because of their age, but all of them had seeders in the double digits.
Oct 22, 2010 6:11 PM

Jul 2010
Do you like to torrent?
Only when the Anime isn't released in Canada or is over-priced.

Do you think it is a safe way to get anime?
Yes, as long as you make sure you're downloading videos and not exes.

Do you like using alternatives such as streaming or do you prefer to buy/ rent?
I prefer to BUY because I like to collect + I have too much money and not enough to spend it on.
Oct 22, 2010 6:18 PM

Oct 2009
YuniYasha said:
I have too much money and not enough to spend it on.
Send a little my way then D:
Oct 22, 2010 7:02 PM

Jun 2009
Torrenting is great. I torrent because:

1. I can't stand low-quality streams.
2. Not much good anime gets to the States.
3. I be a pirate, and I be steelin' yer booty! Arr! (Translation: I'm a cheapskate)
4. It's way easier than direct DL one episode at a time. (Which I have done before)
5. I can keep and catalog it all on a single hard drive.

On whether or not it's safe, well, I've got... *checks anime collection*... 485 GB (97 series) of anime, and I haven't been arrested yet, so I'd say it's safe.
AbstractCalamityOct 22, 2010 7:06 PM
Oct 22, 2010 7:23 PM

Sep 2010
I definitely prefer to torrent. I used to stream almost all of my stuff, simply because I wasn't concerned about quality, and I had no harddrive space.
After getting a 1TB External, and realising how much better things look in higher quality (well duh)...Yea torrenting is definitely the best way if you have the space and bandwidth imo.
Oct 22, 2010 7:30 PM

Jun 2008
I streamed for awhile till I finally torrented some movies and realised the much higher quality in downloads.

With downloads you, of course, get higher quality picture..better sound.. its easier to take screenshots... great if you like to take snippets of animes for AMV's or just to save your favourite scene or something.
Oct 22, 2010 7:31 PM

Mar 2009
I always download one episode at a time instead of torrenting.
Oct 22, 2010 7:33 PM

Apr 2010
I stream everything. I don't exactly trust torrents.

Oct 22, 2010 7:45 PM

Nov 2007
Via a seedbox, torrenting is fine. However due to DMCA infringement notices being far more widespread now, I'd never run a torrent on my own computer; and I haven't in about two years. Some of the larger anime companies (eg Aniplex, Sunrise, TVTokyo) are known to use services to track torrent use and issue DMCA notices. Whether this impacts you or not is difficult to determine, because the way they're issued seems to be somewhat random. Also some ISPs simply discard the notices they receive.

However, some ISPs will terminate your account with them if you receive a couple. Some have been known to charge the user (rather exorbitant) fees per notice, while others pass on your details to the companies so they can take legal action (though it's technically illegal for ISPs to pass on that info without a court order, so people have sued their ISP after the fact).

While the likelihood of anything bad happening is slim (depending on where you live, the US has the most issues) it still exists. So you're better off not taking any chances and sticking to ddl/xdcc, or if you're over 18, get a seedbox and/or usenet account. Usenet kinda sucks for anime, though. Great for everything else.
Oct 22, 2010 7:46 PM

Feb 2010
Torrents are the shit and I never got a single virus or anything from it and I've been doing it for years. Don't fall for inferior streaming shit. It kills the greatness of about everything. Streaming people don't care about quality but are the first to whine about anything older than 2004. It's a hilarious/pathetic contradiction.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 22, 2010 8:11 PM

Apr 2010
Go for torrent!! Torrent doesn't bite!
Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM

Apr 2010
Streaming is just as illegal as downloading, so I get everything from torrents. Better quality and organization makes torrenting a win for me.
Oct 22, 2010 8:16 PM
Nov 2008
Asako said:
Via a seedbox, torrenting is fine. However due to DMCA infringement notices being far more widespread now, I'd never run a torrent on my own computer; and I haven't in about two years. Some of the larger anime companies (eg Aniplex, Sunrise, TVTokyo) are known to use services to track torrent use and issue DMCA notices. Whether this impacts you or not is difficult to determine, because the way they're issued seems to be somewhat random. Also some ISPs simply discard the notices they receive.

However, some ISPs will terminate your account with them if you receive a couple. Some have been known to charge the user (rather exorbitant) fees per notice, while others pass on your details to the companies so they can take legal action (though it's technically illegal for ISPs to pass on that info without a court order, so people have sued their ISP after the fact).

While the likelihood of anything bad happening is slim (depending on where you live, the US has the most issues) it still exists. So you're better off not taking any chances and sticking to ddl/xdcc, or if you're over 18, get a seedbox and/or usenet account. Usenet kinda sucks for anime, though. Great for everything else.

I can only swallow so much bull.

It is pretty much impossible to gain such information through an ISP, more so an internet connection by itself. Any type of software used to monitor one's connection would only be allowed if the user gives the company consent, and then one still can't acquire details on what is and what has been downloaded via a torrent client. The most that could be acquired would be the web addresses visited by the user, as well as bandwidth details.

The only kind of monitoring software that does not require consent from the user is any kind of monitoring software used at a federal level, as well as monitoring software used by law enforcement (but that monitoring situation can only be allowed if the person being monitored is someone such as a sex offender off on bail or something).

To top it off, if you're the one hosting the seedbox (that is, it is your own server), the difference between it downloading the torrent and you downloading it on your computer is no different. The only difference is the node connecting to the ISP, which would still register under the same I.P. address. Not that any worthwhile information can be derived from an I.P. address.
Oct 22, 2010 8:25 PM
Oct 2010
Asako said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes me worried. D:
I've never heard of any of these methods.
Oct 22, 2010 8:40 PM

Apr 2010
Merc_X said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes me worried. D:
I've never heard of any of these methods.
You should read Onibokusu's reply to that post. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt, though.
Oct 22, 2010 8:45 PM

Nov 2007
Torrenting FTW. I dislike streaming because it means I can't watch half of the episode and then stop it, and it also seems to take longer for me. Besides that, if I want to rewatch it, I have to download the stream all over again. What a pain! So I stick to torrenting.
Oct 22, 2010 8:52 PM

Nov 2007
Onibokusu said:

You obviously haven't paid attention to the news. All they need is a peer IP address, which is public in any torrent swarm. They scrape the swarm, have all IPs, and can send infringement notices to the ISP. ISPs are required to keep logs of every IP's holder, so with a timestamp they can say "This user was infringing our IP".

There's no user consent involved. Torrents make your IP public.

As for seedboxes, if they're hosted in a country that is more lenient with DMCA type crap, it's fine. You queue the torrent on the box, the tracking companies get that IP, and know it's in a country they can't really do anything about. You use FTP to download from the box, which is untraceable without taking legal avenues, which most companies are reluctant to do which is why they want ISPs to take responsibility for policing its users.

There's shittons of information about it. Just go google/wiki. For a start, iinet's AFACT case.
Oct 22, 2010 9:46 PM
Nov 2008
Asako said:
Onibokusu said:

You obviously haven't paid attention to the news. All they need is a peer IP address, which is public in any torrent swarm. They scrape the swarm, have all IPs, and can send infringement notices to the ISP. ISPs are required to keep logs of every IP's holder, so with a timestamp they can say "This user was infringing our IP".

There's no user consent involved. Torrents make your IP public.

As for seedboxes, if they're hosted in a country that is more lenient with DMCA type crap, it's fine. You queue the torrent on the box, the tracking companies get that IP, and know it's in a country they can't really do anything about. You use FTP to download from the box, which is untraceable without taking legal avenues, which most companies are reluctant to do which is why they want ISPs to take responsibility for policing its users.

There's shittons of information about it. Just go google/wiki. For a start, iinet's AFACT case.

News flash, no worthwhile information can be derived from an I.P. Address. Just what websites have been visited, the location of the server from which the IP was generated and its location. Hell, most ISPs don't even keep the logs of what is happening with certain customers unless they have a good reason to. Even then, it isn't for very long.

I don't need to watch the news. I've studied I.T. for over four years now, and have already been accepted into a Bachelor of Information Technology at university. Most of the "stories" that appear on the news and current affairs programs here that are related to I.T. in Australia are a joke.
Oct 22, 2010 10:44 PM

Oct 2007
i stream and torrent, depends on the series. something like the world only god knows if slightly entertaining and fairly quirky, but not worth the dl by torrent for me. all goes to the quality of the show, mediocore shows get less priority for me
Oct 22, 2010 11:00 PM

Jan 2010
I love torrents, but I'm running out of hard drive space fast.
Oct 22, 2010 11:16 PM

Jul 2010
Onibokusu said:
News flash, no worthwhile information can be derived from an I.P. Address.

Lol, are you nut? With someones IP you can pin-point what ISP they use and even sometimes there general location. If you have the authority, you can then call that ISP and get the address of the person who uses that IP and the identity of the Internet Account Holder. That' worthwhile if you ask me.
Oct 22, 2010 11:35 PM
Nov 2008
YuniYasha said:
Onibokusu said:

Lol, are you nut? With someones IP you can pin-point what ISP they use and even sometimes there general location. If you have the authority, you can then call that ISP and get the address of the person who uses that IP and the identity of the Internet Account Holder. That' worthwhile if you ask me.

Hah, you made me smile there.

It's illegal for ISPs to simply give out the personal information of their customers. It violates one's right to privacy. The ISP could be sued to no end if that happened.
Oct 22, 2010 11:35 PM

Nov 2007
Onibokusu said:

Do you think the legal system cares? That's what ultimately matters here. If an IP is in a torrent swarm, it's either downloading or seeding whatever the torrent is for. That's more than enough evidence for most.

As for ISPs, all in the majority of the world are required to log which IP which customers have, for at least a year (usually several). That's all that matters. Companies such as BayTSP log that IP, and send a notice to the ISP that "X IP was downloading Y at Z date/time". It's up to the ISP to send the notice on to the customer; most do. The scare tactic alone is enough to stop most people. However some ISPs, as I said, have been known to terminate or charge people's accounts for receiving the infringement notices.

Some other companies, such as Odex have successfully subpoenaed ISPs to reveal customer details to them (which ISPs have to if a court orders them to) so they can serve them.

It's a very real issue, and increasing in frequency. Feel free to keep your head in the sand. I think it's better for people to know what is going on.

Also, if you think iinet's recent case was a joke, good luck getting ahead in the industry. Most of the IIA are highly concerned by these actions, and Telstra and Optus both offered iinet legal aide in defending against AFACT, because a win for them would be a huge blow to the internet. Other countries have had similar things actually succeed in recent years. New Zealand passed it, and I believe the UK did, though last I heard it was repealed; not really sure what its current state is.
Oct 22, 2010 11:43 PM

Sep 2009
Mainly didrect download for me, from that cursed MU or THe Hyllia.
However for short eps, odd OVAs or when no DDL is avaliable, I stream.

I think if there are enough people seeding a torrent, there's bound to be a DDL somewhere. However if there is REALLY a lot of seeds, torrenting may be faster and can download an entire season in one zip.
Tondemonai Fansubs
http://tondemonaifs.wordpress.com/
Big bag of loli desktop accessories
http://brigade.baka-wolf.com/showthread.php?t=15413

Oct 22, 2010 11:54 PM
Nov 2008
Asako, neither of those examples show evidence of I.P. addresses being very accurate. Odex in particular, it's obvious because they asked for the information of all those that had pirated anime (not just those that had pirated Gundam). Besides, that wiki article also clearly spells out that they weren't in any right to do what they did. If that had gone down in a different country, such as the United States, nothing would have happened. Why? Because one could argue that since the information was gained illegally, it can be overlooked in a court of law. Most of the people in that case wished to settle out of court anyway, probably because they couldn't afford lawyers. Even in the High Court, Odex was denied information on ISP subscriber information.

One has to go through a court of law to acquire such private information. Every other company involved did it the correct way, except Odex. Hell, Odex illegally monitored their internet connections (they still had to contact the ISP though, because nothing worthwhile can be derived from an I.P. address).

Since their methods were illegal, I can bet you that most licensing companies are not actively monitoring internet connections. BayTSP most likely only monitors certain ISPs in the USA, and even then there is probably some sort of consent form that must be signed.

iiNET's case was a joke. It is almost completely the same as Odex's situation, but here in Australia. Yes, I was aware of it before you used it as an example by the way.
Oct 23, 2010 12:10 AM

Nov 2007
It's been proven in several courts that ISP records and the records that monitoring companies keep can be wrong. Numerous people have independently proved that they were never in a swarm when accused, however that has little to do with the fact that these companies use DMCA as a bully and scare tactic, to try to get people to stop torrenting, and in some cases (like Odex) settle out of court. RIAA/MPAA have done it many times in the US.

As for it being overlooked in the US, far from it. Comcast and Verizon, at the very least, are known to pass on DMCA infringement notices to the user, and both have also terminated accounts for receiving too many. Which is what the tracking companies (and IP holders behind them) want. The "three strikes" system where after three notices, your net is cut off. As I said, NZ introduced it, and the combined media industries across the world are trying to force it in to other countries; it was AFACT's primary goal, too. Make ISPs responsible for policing their users.

Again, it's simply bully and scare tactics. Realistically, there's not much for people to worry about, but this dumbshit -is- happening, and shouldn't be ignored. They're not simply going to go away if we ignore them. They're behind ACTA, for instance. Which would be pretty scary if ratified and given the power they want.
Oct 23, 2010 12:22 AM
Nov 2008
Well, I've never once stated that I'm ignoring the issue at hand here. But I am saying that I.P. tracking, as well as connection monitoring, is a highly illegal method that one probably shouldn't be scared of when contemplating using torrents. Because in the end, the I.P. is the same whether downloading direct, streaming or torrenting. Thus, the risk is all the same. The risk being next to none anyway.

And I know it wouldn't be looked over in the USA, but I just don't think the situation would have gone down the same with Odex if it had been handled in that location.

So, yes I do agree that the whole thing is a scare tactic. It's the same as Today Tonight showing a report several days in a row with just some footage of a "hacker" being able to drive by your house and "hack your passwords" simply by accessing your wireless connection. The reports are always so vague, ending with the same message up updating all your security programs and passwords. It's all just to instil the thought that "SOME GUY MIGHT BE OUTSIDE MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW, STEALING MY BACK ACCOUNT INFO". It's the same with this: "OH NO, THE COMPANIES MIGHT BE MONITORING MY CONNECTION I BETTER NOT DO ANYTHING."
Oct 23, 2010 12:48 AM

Aug 2010
I mostly use streaming, because we are 5 to use a limited 60gig per month of bandwith, it run out FAST. Streams have way lower quality so i usualy watch more epidodes per months, but we are running pretty low this month so i can only watch 2 episode per day till next month... If the 4 others doesnt slow down it will drop it 1 episodes ><
Oct 23, 2010 12:56 AM

Nov 2007
DDL and streaming only shows your IP to the site you download/stream from. So unless they do subpoena the host, or seize their equipment (has that even happened since the Napster days?) then your IP is safe. Torrents share your IP with the entire swarm, so they can scrape the torrent for all of the IPs and then go bully everyone on it. It's far easier on them. That's why torrents are the main issue here.

And it's not just a media beatup. I personally know people in several countries who have had DMCA issues, with some of them resulting in being disconnected by their ISPs. (TPG here do it, good luck leechers that flock to them).

As for leet hax0rs stealing you passwords, it's easy enough to use secure passwords on secure protocols, if you use wireless. There's nothing to make you safer on torrents (many of which ARE monitored, not just may be.) sans not using your own IP at all, whether that be a seedbox, proxy or otherwise... usually has speed implications regardless.
Oct 23, 2010 1:17 AM
Nov 2008
Yes, but there is about as much evidence in connecting to a DDL/streaming website as there is in an I.P. connected to a swarm.

Being disconnected from an I.P. is a lot different to court action though, isn't it? I'd say it is.

I am fully aware that it is possible, however the reports of such a manner are purely for scare tactics. It "just happens". Just like the licensing companies are "just there" in this case.
Oct 23, 2010 2:32 AM

May 2010
Do you like to torrent?
- yea, it's nice for getting new animes. if people saying DDL is better, but it's not for me. since my connection is lame, it always disconnected on the half way

Do you think it is a safe way to get anime?
- i think it's safe

Do you like using alternatives such as streaming or do you prefer to buy/ rent?
- streaming ----> loading then only 1 time watching. downloading ----> loading then can watch it many times you want.
- i prefer buy it, but since i'm still student, i will just stay with torrent-ing animes only
Oct 23, 2010 4:28 AM

Feb 2005
If you're unlucky enough to be living in the US or other areas where the big bad companies can trample your privacy, there's always stuff like Tor and what have you that might be useful.
But on the whole, torrents are perfectly safe. The worst case scenario doesn't happen a lot after all.
Oct 23, 2010 4:32 AM

Nov 2007
Baman said:
But on the whole, torrents are perfectly safe. The worst case scenario doesn't happen a lot after all.

That's pretty much the same as saying sex without condoms is perfectly safe. STDs don't happen a lot after all.
Oct 23, 2010 4:58 AM

Feb 2008
I like to torrent and delete. I've downloaded probably thousands of episodes by now, and I've never been caught or had a virus from any of them. Streaming is poo-poo. Unless you live in Australia and have like 30 GB monthly caps on your Internet, or have download speeds of like 5 kB/s, there is no reason not to download episodes. It takes like 10 minutes to download an episode in 720p, and they look great. You don't have to worry about ads, the videos being taken down, or having to pay money to get high quality. You just download and that's that.
Oct 23, 2010 5:04 AM

Jun 2010
Asako said:
Baman said:

That's pretty much the same as saying sex without condoms is perfectly safe. STDs don't happen a lot after all.

Except that sex isn't a lot like downloading from torrents.

Oct 23, 2010 5:33 AM
Nov 2008
Masnoon said:
Asako said:
Baman said:

No, it's more like seeding.

;D
Oct 23, 2010 6:00 AM

Aug 2009
Merc_X said:
Hey guys! I am a new member who has been here a couple of days now. I realized I need to get some new anime to start watching again and I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on how to get it!

Do you like to torrent? Do you think it is a safe way to get anime? Do you like using alternatives such as streaming or do you prefer to buy/ rent?

Thanks for your help! : D

If you do torrent use protofirewall like peerblock. This helps keep out unwanted people from going into your computer. So it is a good idea to run a program like peerblock while you are downing with a torrent or even a regular file sharing program like kazaa,bearshare,limewire or other similar program.

As for torrent program I like utorrent. Its resource friendly and it does not freeze the system. I have used bitcomet and bitspirit in the past.

Freerapid downloader is a good alternative to downloading from torrents if you can not find a particular series in a torrent. You just run Freerapid downloader and you highlight and copy the megaupload,rapidshare or some other file sharing links and tell it where you want the files downloaded to.This handles the megaupload captcha, so do have to sit there at a computer having to enter a 4 digit code everytime it starts a new download. It still downloads rapidshare,megaupload,hotfile or some other similar links one at a time and there is still the time limits but you do not have to sit there downloading one link at a time. So if you got enough patients to download with a torrent then you can use a program like jdownloader or freerapid downloader.
ezikialrageOct 23, 2010 6:06 AM
Oct 23, 2010 6:17 AM

Jun 2010
Onibokusu said:
Masnoon said:
Asako said:
Baman said:

No, it's more like seeding.

;D

;D

Oct 23, 2010 6:28 AM

Nov 2009
I like torrenting, because it is an easy way to get good quality anime, as long as your find the right torrents.

I've never once downloaded a bad torrent, so as long as you check what your downloading at least a little bit, it should be fine. (eg. reading comments)

Mainstream stuff like new movies and series, like Showtimes Dexter, is often being watched. It is possible to be emailed by your Internet Service Provider about getting your internet shut off, but this is just a warning. Although, to be safe we usually stick to downloading anime, and not downloading brand new movies too often.
Oct 23, 2010 7:39 AM

Dec 2007
My friend got fined for torrenting and was indeed threaten to court so the tracking and monitoring does exist. But then again he did torrent 1TB worth of games within a 2 week period xD.

If you're not a heavy users you'll be fine. My friend getting busted didn't stop me. It's just a fine.
Oct 23, 2010 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
I either torrent or usenet most of my anime. I buy series I liked when possible tho
Oct 23, 2010 8:11 AM

Jul 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Torrents are the shit and I never got a single virus or anything from it and I've been doing it for years. Don't fall for inferior streaming shit. It kills the greatness of about everything. Streaming people don't care about quality but are the first to whine about anything older than 2004. It's a hilarious/pathetic contradiction.

Damn man I thought I was the only who thought of this!!

And I don't know about in US, but in my country I've never heard of anyone getting legal problems because of torrents. Virus probelms, maybe, but that's just the stupid people. Torrenting anime is fine though, I've never encountered a single virus in all the episodes I've downloaded. Go to BakaBT, they have even many very old anime, and most of the torrents has nice speed. But they won't have anything licensed by Funi, or licensed by ADV post 2007, so if you don't find what you want there, go to Nyaa instead.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.