Forum Settings
Forums

Manga Kaiyorihito/Kaiyorishiki Discontinued Due to Unauthorized Uses of Photos

New
Oct 20, 2010 11:15 PM

Feb 2008
Enterbrain and the editors of Comic B's Log magazine announced in the official website that Kazuaki, the character designer of the upcoming anime Starry☆Sky, has used copyrighted photographs in the manga kaiyorihito/kaiyorishiki without acquiring required authorization. The photos are provided in pay websites and their uses are charged. The publisher decide to cease printing of the manga.

Comparison images (Cover of her manga volume 1 and the plagiarized photographs)
Comparison 2 (Back cover of the manga volume 1 and the plagiarized photograph)

Kasuaki released an apology statement and closed her personal website. Honeybee, the game maker of Starry☆Sky, has suspened the website service. They are currently investigating which illustrations of Kazuaki infringe copyrights.

Sources: Kazuaki's website, B's Log official website, Honeybee official webiste
Changed the title. Plagiarism is a bit harsh to describe the situation.
Story by shinkeikaku
dtshykOct 21, 2010 10:47 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 20, 2010 11:18 PM

May 2010
Looks her career is over...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 20, 2010 11:22 PM

Apr 2007
SUCKS TO BE HER, lolz.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2010 11:23 PM

Nov 2009
And copyright law destroys another legitimate artist. GG protection of intellectual property.
Oct 20, 2010 11:31 PM

Feb 2010
Ahhh , copyrights -_-
Oct 20, 2010 11:33 PM
Sep 2007
Maybe she shouldn't have plagiarized. Just saying
Hi
Oct 20, 2010 11:38 PM

Apr 2010
So, I wonder if this will affect the ONA series at all?
Oct 20, 2010 11:42 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Hawaiian420 said:
Maybe she shouldn't have plagiarized. Just saying
Seriously. I feel bad for her, since she's obviously really talented, but the obvious plagiarizing was a bit stupid to risk.
p r o f i l e 👀
Oct 20, 2010 11:49 PM

May 2008
These images look like stock photos on sites that sell stock photos for print.... they just weren't paid for or what?

I can understand that most artists use reference photos for their work, and sometimes there is not time or budget to travel and take your own... but just doing an image search on a stock photo site and cell-shading it is not the answer, unless you are willing to pay the royalties on the image. The first comparison pic shows pretty sloppy plagiarizing too -- just touched up a bit in photoshop and slapped on there. At least the second is painted.

It's better than many ripoffs and shortcuts I've seen in graphic use... There have been plenty of incidents where the dvd covers of big hollywood movies shipped with the iStockPhoto watermarks on the background art.

I am a banana.
Oct 21, 2010 12:05 AM

Feb 2008
Reading her apology, it seem that this is just reference photos that she didn't have proper authorization to use. When entering this thread I though I would encounter plagiarism in the sense that she/he just redrew ads (like Kaoru Fujiwara) or even worse; other manga (like Kayono). It's not really that bad since at least she knows how to draw characters but still not cool.
[fancy signature here]
Oct 21, 2010 12:58 AM

Feb 2008
Siing said:
SUCKS TO BE HER, lolz.

why? we all must climb out the holes that we dig ourselves.

now gotta face the music....
Oct 21, 2010 1:06 AM

Nov 2008
Damn! That's all I got to say ^_-
Oct 21, 2010 1:11 AM

Jan 2009
I wonder if this will effect the ONA production or the newest vn they will release
Oct 21, 2010 1:19 AM

Jun 2009
Suzayy said:
I wonder if this will effect the ONA production or the newest vn they will release
I hope not. I've been waiting for the ONA for like a year.

Oct 21, 2010 1:43 AM
Nov 2008
Felix_Omni said:
And copyright law destroys another legitimate artist. GG protection of intellectual property.

Legitimate artists should be aware of copyright law. If it's not yours, get permission to use it (no matter which way you're using it).
Oct 21, 2010 1:55 AM

Apr 2009
well... never copy only / took anything for reference only

copy+edit/rephase+check+edit/rephase

thats the safest
Oct 21, 2010 1:59 AM

May 2009
LOL look at the photoshop Fail for the staircase pic. Shopped out the girls but left the shadows in. That's like telling the world where you got your pics from
Oct 21, 2010 2:20 AM

May 2008
I like the cover idea and art though...
shame =/
Oct 21, 2010 2:33 AM

Feb 2010
FAIL....of all pictures...why use copyrighted??

this might be the end of your career dear..
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Oct 21, 2010 3:47 AM

Sep 2008
Fuck sake, so blatant.....
LOL @ recognized watermark
Oct 21, 2010 4:02 AM

Jul 2008
Yikes, this is really disappointing because it's not like she can't draw. I can only imagine she attempting to take shortcuts, whether from laziness or time restraints.

BEGINNER
Oct 21, 2010 4:36 AM

Nov 2009
Sucks for it, it's a shame her series gets discontinued for something like that.
Oct 21, 2010 4:48 AM

Aug 2008
I was pretty heartbroken because I knew the publisher responses would be harsh. The problem was the photos were copyrighted and she reproduced them without permission in many, many drawings. At least it wasn't like Kayono. It's a lot more like the Nitta Youka incident in 2008. Nitta Youka started drawing again recently.. so there's hope if all her publishers give her the cold shoulder now?

Good to see some more details filled in, but when I submitted the story, I really thought people would recognize her role in Starry Sky more since it's an upcoming anime versus being the mangaka of k/k. Unfortunately, the use of "stock photos" extended to many of her illustrations over many different series... I'm just glad I already bought that artbook. It might not be reprinted after it sells out at this rate.

SHIT that means no more k/k. ;_______;
shinkeikakuOct 21, 2010 4:57 AM
Oct 21, 2010 4:57 AM

Jan 2009
maybe I am misunderstanding something, but what's wrong with redrawing some buildings, stairs etc?
So, for example, if I am a mangaka, and draw my protagonist's house as the same as some random dude's really existing house, that would be a plagiarism?
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Oct 21, 2010 5:04 AM

Aug 2008
ariapokoteng said:
maybe I am misunderstanding something, but what's wrong with redrawing some buildings, stairs etc?
So, for example, if I am a mangaka, and draw my protagonist's house as the same as some random dude's really existing house, that would be a plagiarism?

It wasn't redrawing. She's a digital artist, so it's more like copy/pasting a digital photograph that is copyrighted into your own drawing without proper authorization and making some adjustments. It's then turned into a product and selling puts it past fair use in the US at least. Publishers don't like being tangled up in a legal matter like that (Nitta Youka found that out), so I'm not shocked k/k was discontinued.
Oct 21, 2010 5:21 AM

Nov 2008
WT is he or she an idiot
Oct 21, 2010 5:39 AM

Nov 2007
I just hope this won't affect the Starry Sky ONA and the upcoming games at all.
I still adore her drawing style.
Oct 21, 2010 5:44 AM

Aug 2008
Uh the honeybee portal (Starry Sky) has been closed temporarily with another letter of apology. Nervous for Starry Sky now :/
Oct 21, 2010 5:51 AM

Jul 2008
This sucks. =/ K/K looks quite nice so I was planning to read it in the future, but now that I know it's discontinued...
I really hope they won't decide to cancel the upcoming ONA of Starry Sky now. =(
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Oct 21, 2010 7:40 AM

Dec 2009
Please don't affect Starry Sky . Please don't affect Starry Sky . Please don't affect Starry Sky . Please don't affect Starry Sky .Please don't affect Starry Sky ...etc :<
Oct 21, 2010 7:41 AM

Sep 2010
=A= why is every good artist plagirizing lately?

Oct 21, 2010 7:52 AM

Oct 2008
I will go on a killing spree if this affects Starry Sky.
I've been waiting for a long time for it - and I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Oct 21, 2010 8:23 AM

Nov 2008
taki-desu said:
=A= why is every good artist plagirizing lately?

Because the manga industry in Japan is highly demanding. It's pretty much the end of her career and Starry Sky because of this mess.

Oct 21, 2010 8:59 AM

Nov 2009
Its copyright infringement even though she drew that manga herself? Wow is copyright complicated.

So you can't use works from past in present projects
Oct 21, 2010 9:19 AM

Jan 2009
On the one hand, you reap what you sow. On the other, it's a real pity. Kazuaki is really talented and her art style is easily recognisible.
Well, Japanese are strict about such matters, so most probably that means putting all her projects to a stop right now (Starry Sky included, unfortunately).
Oct 21, 2010 10:35 AM

Oct 2009
This is just like that episode in Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei about Overprotection!!!

Except this is not overprotection! [/badreference]

Let's hope that this won't affect Starry Sky whatsoever.

Oct 21, 2010 10:43 AM

Dec 2009
You gotta be careful in this day and age with copy right. Its too bad her art was good but she ruined herself by blatantly copyrighting. I understand the temptation though.
Oct 21, 2010 12:44 PM

Jan 2008
Unless the areas were closed off and owned by the photographer, or set up specifically for that shot and then taken down, it's not your property to begin with.

Someone should totally take a picture of a lake from a common viewpoint and copyright it, just to upset other people.

Copyrights have left me in despair!
Oct 21, 2010 3:27 PM

Aug 2010
fertygo said:
Fuck sake, so blatant.....
LOL @ recognized watermark

on professional work they don't have big ugly marks on their pictures. Usually just their signature on the side.

But why copy? I reallly don't understand why people copy work and claim it's theirs.
Takahiro Sakurai = <3
Oct 21, 2010 3:42 PM

Jan 2010
She's the Japanese Tim Buckley
Ok™
Oct 21, 2010 4:26 PM

Dec 2009
Lol i must be the only one that is sad that kaiyorihito kaiyorishiki is going to be discontinued:( It's a pretty good manga.
Sighh. If she was going to copy she should have at least changed it around lol. Getting ideas from somewhere to form your own concept isn't bad; nothing is original after all. But this.. =____= deng it. haha. i hope starry sky isn't going to be affected :(
And i love her art. :(
Oct 21, 2010 5:36 PM

Sep 2009
Onibokusu said:
Felix_Omni said:

Legitimate artists should be aware of copyright law. If it's not yours, get permission to use it (no matter which way you're using it).
If only you could have said this to the lady before the crime.
Oct 22, 2010 2:15 PM

Aug 2010
wow o.o
Oct 25, 2010 1:26 AM

May 2010
OMG?! NO! WHY?!
ugh.....and i luv kaiyorihito!!!! TT^TT
she shouldn't have copied though....it doesn't matter whether you're tired and need an easy why out.......omg....and she's one of my fave artists T^T
and i was going to buy her artbook...later on this year....when i have enough money....
Nov 3, 2010 10:18 PM

Dec 2009
tokidokimidori said:
OMG?! NO! WHY?!
ugh.....and i luv kaiyorihito!!!! TT^TT
she shouldn't have copied though....it doesn't matter whether you're tired and need an easy why out.......omg....and she's one of my fave artists T^T
and i was going to buy her artbook...later on this year....when i have enough money....

ditto. i'm pretty disappointed. I wait forever for the manga's next chapters. and now there's this :(
Nov 4, 2010 4:40 AM

May 2010
Please, please still give me Starry Sky! ;;
I've been looking forward to it since this Summer and I saw the cast, which is like the best cast ever, dammit!

love is such a strange thing
but with you, it doesn't matter

Nov 4, 2010 5:20 AM

Sep 2008
ariapokoteng said:

She didn't even redraw them, the ones on the cover where just digitally edited,and had some filters throw over them, the water marks on both the images are clearly visible on top of that she poorly edited out the people in the photos not even bothering to remove the their shadows. Copying is one thing but to just slightly alter the source and pass it off as your own work and make money off it is fucking pathetic.

She got what she deserved, I find it hard to believe she didn't know what exactly doing she was doing. She's not a competent artist, one with a half a brain could have figured out what they where doing was wrong.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 10, 2010 9:42 PM

May 2008
It is a shame she was cut as she is a fantastic artist. But I feel for Honeybee as they are in a mess right now...
But, for those that are curious, from what I've read from Honeybee's site, the "Starry Sky" game series is still being released it's just that the dates for ALL products will be pushed back (like the after season games, PSP games, and drama cds). As for the ONA, I don't think it's being affected, as the ONA's website is still posting updates and recently posted the series' DVD release dates. So don't worry about it too much.
Nov 14, 2010 9:14 AM

Feb 2009
sad situation.
well, uses of stock photographs in cover image is incontestably proved. as for the second one (back cover)... who said you can copyright the angle of view?

art by とうこ
Nov 21, 2010 10:42 AM

May 2010
Dang. And I was getting into the manga too.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
4 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.