Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2008 4:02 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode didn't have much going for it other than another assured victory for Reinhard.

I wonder when did they find the time to dig a hole so they could trap Ovlesser? His capture was anticlimatic given how many people he was able to previously take out solo.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 11, 2008 10:02 AM

Apr 2008
Haha, I've know this after just a couple of episodes. I'm not in this show as much for the battle of wits and political stuff, I mean, yeah I like it, but I like episodes more like this is what I really enjoy. XD

First time I lol'd at this show when Reinhard got all emotional on Ovlesser for talking about his sister.

Seeing the blood and shit was sweet, guess they couldn't use firearms or explosives in such a tight space and eveything would blow up. I would have liked to see Ovlesser's tongue ripped out by Reinhard though we can tell that's never going to happen. Or Handstand axe attack patterns. I betcha' he would have had his cape on too with that protective suit.

5/5
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jan 18, 2009 2:29 AM

Jan 2008
tainteddonut said:
I wonder when did they find the time to dig a hole so they could trap Ovlesser? His capture was anticlimatic given how many people he was able to previously take out solo.

Whenever something silly like that happens in this show I just fill in the gaps of logic myself. Budget issues, aiming for certain demographic, whatever reasons a show has, but they all have to cut corners sometimes, and in this example I just choose to imagine they were waiting in a corridor with their trap set and led Ovlesser's group to them via convoluted ways.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 18, 2009 6:25 PM

Apr 2009
Just remember, this is the 80s here, so stuff we take for granted, like pit traps, were fucking awesome back then.

Anyway, a really badass episode. Stormtroopers with battle axes = win, and Ovlesser was just awesome to watch.

Jun 18, 2009 6:31 PM

Nov 2008
I dunno, I though it was a perfect fitting fate to someone like Ovlesser. Plotwise was strange indeed, but the scene was ironically comical (Ovlesser's hobby is hunting) and awesome IMO.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Aug 5, 2009 9:57 PM

Jan 2009
This episode seemed like a fitting end to Ovlessor. Seeing him caught in a pitfall like some sort of wild beast was great to see and even greater when Oberstein set him up to appear as a traitor before Braunschweig.
Sep 12, 2009 10:22 PM

Aug 2008
Space troopers with axes? Hell yeah! Old Skool Combat! Ovlesser got hosed in the end, but that soldier at the end may have been right. Who knows how terrible things might get come the next battle. Bad leadership is bad leadership & the rebel nobles have it in spades. Like Yang said in the previous episode. Reinhard always fights before the battle for the superior positioning. But the real credit goes to Oberstein for letting Ovlesser go. He was WAY more useful as a disgraced hero, as opposed to a martyred one.
Nov 12, 2009 5:26 AM

Dec 2008
The emotional outburst from Reinhard here reinforced the sense of his inferiority to Yang.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 23, 2009 3:35 AM

Apr 2009
kickass episode..it was nice how Ovlessor died. like a traitor)

Oberstein - nicely done
Mar 11, 2010 7:27 AM

Apr 2009
Silverhammer said:
The emotional outburst from Reinhard here reinforced the sense of his inferiority to Yang.

Yup, yup. That's what I thought too.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 19, 2010 6:19 PM
Jun 2010
Funniest bloody scene I've seen in my life and that trap was hilarious.

Aug 30, 2010 3:02 PM

Jan 2010
haha i loved this episode :-)

don't **** with oberstein,sneaky guy

and it's a pity that ovessler died,i liked him lol,he could've been the comic relief of the series

5/5...oh yeah
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 14, 2010 4:48 AM

Apr 2009
Oberstein is a pretty crafty feller isn't he...

Reinhard has a ton of really talented people working under him... Yang almost seems like he's on his own over there.
Nov 19, 2010 7:25 PM

May 2010
Stop dissing on Reinhard...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 19, 2010 8:16 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, there is a reason for those people to follow Reinhard. He's intelligent and he's got charisma.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 19, 2010 8:19 PM

May 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Yeah, there is a reason for those people to follow Reinhard. He's intelligent and he's got charisma.

Not to mention his blonde hair, roaaar!
Nov 19, 2010 8:30 PM

Jun 2009
Just you wait, Confucius.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 19, 2010 8:32 PM

May 2010
insan3soldiern said:

I know, I saw pics on him on MAL, it gets even longer!!!
Nov 20, 2010 1:46 AM

Jan 2010
Confucius said:
insan3soldiern said:

don't spoil dude -_-
Sayonara,papa!

~Athena Glory,Aria

Nov 20, 2010 4:35 AM

Jun 2009
@ clannad4ever

I was trying not to..

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 20, 2010 10:55 AM

May 2010
clannad4ever said:
Confucius said:
insan3soldiern said:

don't spoil dude -_-

Spoil? It's on MAL's pics...
Nov 20, 2010 1:50 PM

Jan 2010
Confucius said:
clannad4ever said:
Confucius said:
insan3soldiern said:

don't spoil dude -_-

Spoil? It's on MAL's pics...

i was kidding... :p
Sayonara,papa!

~Athena Glory,Aria

Dec 2, 2010 8:30 PM
Aug 2009
Yeah so could someone explain to me why they are using battle axes, when they clearly have access to rifles and pistols?
Dec 2, 2010 8:44 PM
Sep 2010
Sentenal said:
Yeah so could someone explain to me why they are using battle axes, when they clearly have access to rifles and pistols?

The reason given in the novels was that the air was filled with ignitible particles (like Zephyr Particles, for instance) so using their laser guns would have pretty much been suicide.

Edit: The battle armor they wear is also supposed to be laser/plasma resistant, so yeah.
BrentDDec 2, 2010 8:48 PM
Dec 3, 2010 8:32 AM

Sep 2008
actually the zephyr particles explanation is there in the anime as well. I think it was somewhere in the earlier part of the show, probably the first close combat fight.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 22, 2011 1:34 PM
Nov 2009
DAT trap, hahaha
and that big guy was OP lol
Apr 1, 2011 5:01 AM

Feb 2010
Not a big fan of methodology used in capture of Ovlesser, sending him back alive to the HQ didn't tick with me either. What I like was the interaction between Wolfgang and Reuenthal as well as the former attempt of spreading misinformations to Staaden's fleet. A surplus of art of war strategies is always good.
Aug 2, 2011 12:03 PM
Jun 2011
tainteddonut said:

I was wondering the same thing. I love the axe fights in this show!
Aug 16, 2011 11:37 AM

Aug 2010
why do they use axes?
Aug 18, 2011 9:12 AM

Sep 2008
Skyzong said:
why do they use axes?

its the zephyr particles, they explain that at some places here and there, if I recall correctly, its like the explosive particles are used as a defence so the enemies do not shoot laser or explosive weapons, cuz that would ignite the zephyr and basically kill the enemies themselves in the explosion. hence why they prefer the good old axe combat.
I'm pretty sure they explain that in one of the movies, and they also give a very brief explanation at one or two places in the series.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 18, 2011 3:16 PM
Jun 2011
After watching a few more episodes I've gotta say that while I still love the axe fights I hate how it seems that they're invincible. Good explanation about the zephyr particles...I do remember that a little now from one of the movies.
Aug 26, 2011 10:06 PM
Jul 2010
Very bloody episode. Ovlessor probably deserved to die twitching on the ground with his brains on the wall, branded as traitor. He insulted Annerose after all.

The axes really were silly. They would have been better off throwing grenades to detonate some Zephyr particles, rather than shooting lame crossbow bolts that Ovlessor could block with a corpse. Or maybe not taken him one at a time, like it was a cheap kungfu movie.
Oct 13, 2011 4:06 PM

May 2009
Oberstein is friggin' scary.
Oct 13, 2011 4:58 PM

Mar 2011
Loved this episode; stormtroopers were epic. The pitfall trap reminded me of Team Rocket.
Dec 13, 2011 8:15 PM

Sep 2009
That pitfall trap was bloody hilarious.
So out of place too. Was not expecting it at all.

I like how they use axes too. It was explained in the episode that a few of Yangs subordinates captured the Fortress.
Some dumbass fired his laser and blew up all his allies.
Apr 15, 2012 12:47 PM

Feb 2012
Ovlessor would make a good Fire Emblem boss. Every game in the series has 1-2 barbaric axe-users that are just like him.
Apr 23, 2012 2:31 PM
May 26, 2012 6:14 PM

Jun 2009
Luthimal said:

The axes really were silly. They would have been better off throwing grenades to detonate some Zephyr particles, rather than shooting lame crossbow bolts that Ovlessor could block with a corpse. Or maybe not taken him one at a time, like it was a cheap kungfu movie.

I'm guessing they didn't want to damage the hallway or something, or maybe they didn't want to risk getting caught in a huge blast or something. As for the one on one attacks, I kind of agree.

I'm liking how Mittermeyer and Reuental are getting increased screen time. Also, liked Oberstein's plane. Sure, it's kind of a low blow but it's incredibly effective, I'm sure.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 24, 2013 12:07 AM

Jun 2013
That guy was a KILLING MONSTER! AWESOME episode!
Aug 27, 2013 4:01 PM

Sep 2009
Ovlesser's death was quite brutal...I'll just leave this here:
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Sep 12, 2013 3:35 PM

Nov 2009
Well ... I'm surprised that the hand to hand battle part was that inefficient, and the conclusion was using a pit trap ... But oh well. The ending was pretty interesting.
Oct 1, 2013 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
really fun to watch episode.
Feb 14, 2014 6:26 PM

Nov 2012
If Reinhard would've had him executed then he would've died as a martyr and established a rep for defending the Goldenbaum dynasty, so Oberstein decided that if he returned him to the Prince then he would seem way too suspicious since all his men were killed, and he was let loose and so the prince would assume that he was a traitor thus he was executed by them so now his reputation tarnished and is branded as a traitor.
Oberstein is a very smart guy.

Edit: wow I should've quoted you asshole. Why the delete?
RX-782Feb 14, 2014 7:42 PM
Jun 29, 2014 2:04 AM

Apr 2012
lol at how they trapped Ovlesser
Reinhard's tendency to use unpopular maneuvers is going to backfire on him someday. It feels like he is slowly but surely playing into Obserstein's hands.

Sep 25, 2014 6:50 PM

Dec 2013
Nope said:
If Reinhard would've had him executed then he would've died as a martyr and established a rep for defending the Goldenbaum dynasty, so Oberstein decided that if he returned him to the Prince then he would seem way too suspicious since all his men were killed, and he was let loose and so the prince would assume that he was a traitor thus he was executed by them so now his reputation tarnished and is branded as a traitor.
Oberstein is a very smart guy.

Edit: wow I should've quoted you asshole. Why the delete?
Although I don't want to admit, I do agree. Oberstein is extremely smart. And sly.
I don't hate him but I can already see the day where he will become a problem. Especially his discontent towards Kircheis which was shown multiple times. Hopefully nothing happens to Kircheis.

All that being said, Reinhard is even more badass since he can control people like Oberstein. :)))
Oct 30, 2014 5:33 PM

Mar 2012
Almost forgot I was watching an OVA series.....until the skulls getting smashed by axes and bloody pointblank headshot at the end lol.
Feb 6, 2015 1:16 PM

May 2012
Awesome episode! A lot has happened and I do wonder what happens next!
Feb 7, 2015 6:33 PM

Aug 2014
Another great and entertaining episode.
One problem I had with the part where Olvessar was killing all those guys was that they could have just ganged up on him to defeat him.
It was brilliant the way that they used Olvessar though. That part was great. I thought that they could have filled his ship with bombs or something so that they could bomb the place or they could have someone infiltrate from within the ship he came on who would then plant bombs and mess up other stuff for the nobles.
May 6, 2015 11:31 PM
Mar 2015
One of my least favourite episodes so far although it was still pretty good in absolute terms. Didn't really get what happened at the battle in Altena. Was the minefield a bluff? If not, how did Mittermeyer wipe out Hildesheim and then circle all the way around to Staaden's rear? I don't know. Maybe his fleet started moving as soon as they put out the fake communication? Ovlesser's capture and subsequent execution were a bit too convenient I thought.

OK I'm being too nitpicky here. So I'll just shut up and move on to the next episode.
May 13, 2015 8:52 PM

Jan 2013
I thought the alliance was the one at the start of a civil war last episode. This is a bit confusing.
Great episode though
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 109 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

64 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.