Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 27, 2008 5:12 PM

Jan 2008
I watched this anime 3 months ago, but for whatever reason its been on my mind again lately and after a bit more thought I raised its score by one point, just for that reason alone.

I really like the fact that the main protagonist is so poor, and although they play it for laughs, as usual in anime, in this particular case they also really show the hardships of her life too. Its realistic, unlike the depiction of poverty in most other anime. You end up feeling really sorry for her, but its just short of pity, because she's not so downtrodden that she's given up on life or is lacking in personality.

I love the voice actor for Niea, its this fine balance between annoying and sweet, just like the character! The aliens in this show are so funny, especially the Indian. There's such a bizzare and surreal vibe in this show, I havent felt it in any other anime yet. There's a sense of 'mono no aware' flowing through it, this bittersweet melancholy feeling.

Dunno why I've been thinking of it lately, but there you go. The power of Niea!

Do you guys think this anime is underrated? Or am I overrating it right now as I type?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 27, 2008 7:44 PM

May 2008
Oh, the series is completely underrated. Or rather than underrated, it's just completely under the radar. I'm actually quite depressed that one of my DVDs seems to have some fatal scratch in it. I'll have to buy a new copy before it's all sold out. (Maybe I'll re-buy the whole series, just to be safe. I want to still have it around when I'm 80.)
May 31, 2008 2:53 AM

Feb 2008
well, this anime will always be 'underrated' because it doesn't have the KyoAni (makers of Haruhi/Lucky Star/etc) stamp of approval. Yet the quality is even better than anything KyoAni ever made. It's exactly like Lain with deep sentiments but in a straightforward comedy. (Lain was good too, but this was just expression at its best)
Jun 7, 2008 8:27 PM

Jun 2007
Heh, under-radared. Yeah the poverty scenes and the alien ghettos made such a great mix of real and surreal elements without sacrificing either. Seen it 3 times so far, subbed and dubbed, and I keep getting blown away. I've been watching Haibane, and I thnk NieA looks to be at least as good.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 8, 2008 3:24 PM

Feb 2007
Just finished the 8th episode. This is really a great show!
Dec 10, 2008 2:32 AM

Feb 2007
Just finished the last episodes. This is one anime I will recommend to my friends.
Sep 26, 2009 6:06 AM
Sep 2007
Boring as hell.
Sep 26, 2009 9:00 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah, not a single person got shot or killed. Boring!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 26, 2009 9:06 AM

Sep 2009
Niea is one of my favorites, but I can see why people find it boring. Several of the episodes in the middle are bad. In fact, pretty much anything that doesn't illuminate Mayuko and Niea's life is unfunny gag humor. The curry food fight episode for example.

It's also a smidge racist no? I know the joke is supposed to be that the aliens suck at trying to copy human cultures that they only take the most ridiculous stereotypes, but that doesn't exactly make those stereotypes funny. The little music that plays everytime we see the indian guy gets a little old.
Sep 26, 2009 9:30 AM

Jan 2008
I think I find racism in anime funny all the time, it's more revealing of the Japanese animators' narrow world-view than it is evidence of any kind of malice on their part.
Sep 26, 2009 9:37 AM
Sep 2007
Beatnik said:
It was boring, why should I say something else if anime wasn't entertaining?

When I compare it with a majority of titles that I watched (including Haibane Renmei), it really wasn't anything special.

7/10
Sep 26, 2009 10:01 AM

Jan 2008
Asteriks said:

When I compare it with a majority of titles that I watched (including Haibane Renmei), it really wasn't anything special.

7/10

You should say something else because otherwise your opinion is worthless. I.e - Explaining why it was boring in your first post.

If the thread were titled: 'what do you think of this show?' then I could accept your post, but the thread is titled 'Underrated', so I'd like to think people would back up their opinions with a bit more info in here.

Not hating, just saying.
Sep 26, 2009 10:20 AM
Sep 2007
Beatnik said:
Explaining why it was boring in your first post.

Slice of life, where nothing really happens.
Jul 30, 2010 3:39 PM

Jul 2010
Psajdak said:
Beatnik said:

7/10

Off-topic, but on MAL a 7 means 'good', does it not? I was getting the impression that you didn't like the show.

On-topic. This is show shows plenty of examples of what I dislike and always try to avoid in anime, crazy over emphasized expressions, slapstick humour, general crazyness. Yet, I find myself enjoying the show regardless, knowing full well that it's going against what I know my personal preferences are. It's just so damn charming for some reason, poverty stricken girl and all.

I'm only on the third episode, but I'm moving onto the next episodes with a similiar enthusiasm that I had when watching Haibane Renmei or Lain, which again, incredibly odd for it being so different from my usual tastes.

So uh, yeah, it think its good.
Pants are subjective.
Sep 4, 2010 9:11 AM

May 2010
I think it's underrated, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for NieA_7. It's one of those animes that most people wouldn't really be into. It's hard to give a word to it but it's like you have to be in the sort of situation that Mayuko is in. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be poor, but the sort of dilemma and depression that each of us feels in their lives that might not mean much for others, but it means somethings for yourself.

Yes. I re-watched it again for old times sake. It has a lot more effect this time around than when I was younger because I have experienced what she went through in one form or another.

Some people will love it, while others will get turned-off by it.

Yes. This thread is old, but I thought I'd post my thoughts in MAL for people who might like it enough to look for discussions about it in this forum.

I have to admit though, I always loved the Marijuana episode for the reason that you don't see the humble leaf make an appearance in too many animes.

Dec 12, 2010 11:40 PM
Oct 2010
Damn, all the torrents have dried up, and getting anime DVDs in my country is kinda difficult. A Shame, I enjoyed Lain and Haibane Renmei (and watching Texhnolyze at the moment), I definitely would have liked this...
Dec 12, 2010 11:47 PM

Jul 2008
a1 said:
Damn, all the torrents have dried up, and getting anime DVDs in my country is kinda difficult. A Shame, I enjoyed Lain and Haibane Renmei (and watching Texhnolyze at the moment), I definitely would have liked this...

Try BakaBT, I just did a quick search and it was there.
.avi too, kerching. Shall actually watch this then see how I find it.
The synopsis reminded me of Safe Again Today, which I thought was much too short but very enjoyable.
Mar 18, 2011 10:46 PM

Apr 2008
a1 said:

Try irc, that's where I got it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this show as well. Sure it had problems, like racism and some really unfunny opening episodes, but I think it still succeeds as an interesting and unique slice of life. It's kinda strange that there are all these slice of life shows that take place in the "real world" yet seem totally unrealistic, and this show takes place in a world where aliens exist, but quietly seems more real than its counterparts.

I can see why the show isn't that popular -- it isn't really exciting, or funny, and it doesn't really draw you in. Nevertheless, by the end it is engrossing enough that I'm glad I watched it.
Apr 22, 2011 12:53 AM
Oct 2010
S_MasochistS said:
a1 said:

Try BakaBT, I just did a quick search and it was there.
.avi too, kerching. Shall actually watch this then see how I find it.
The synopsis reminded me of Safe Again Today, which I thought was much too short but very enjoyable.

BakaBT is excellent. Although with all the exclusions to keep it somewhat "legal" can get annoying, because a lot of the time I end up using a different site to BakaBT...

Anyway, I downloaded it a while ago, but only started watching recently. I've only seen five episodes, but this series has a charm that I can't really explain. It's a slice of life but without a large ensemble cast (I lost interest in Azumanga Daioh in a few episodes, and I had a hard time distinguishing between the main group. At least with K-ON! the character designs were more distinct). I really find myself interested in the determination of the characters trying to keep their respective business afloat. The occasional montages of people going on about their lives really makes this a successful "slice of life", but it also doesn't overwork the comedy aspect too much.
Oct 5, 2016 6:53 AM

Jun 2014
Criminally underrated, Mayu is by far better character than all the MC of shitty seasonal anime. Hail ABe!

Apr 6, 2019 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
I like how this anime average score by users is literally 0.09 point under 7 at this moment.
Nov 17, 2019 7:22 AM

Sep 2016
Simply a great show. Totally underrated.

More topics from this board

Poll: » NieA Under 7 Episode 13 Discussion

crazyspinz - May 16, 2011

24 by burbels »»
Dec 20, 2023 6:05 AM

Poll: » NieA Under 7 Episode 7 Discussion

10 by Whalelala »»
Aug 23, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » NieA Under 7 Episode 11 Discussion

7 by eblf2013 »»
Aug 18, 2023 6:53 PM

Poll: » NieA Under 7 Episode 3 Discussion

7 by eblf2013 »»
Aug 3, 2023 7:14 PM

» This has the worst OP I have EVER heard

towelgirl21 - Nov 16, 2019

37 by spleancrush »»
Jul 20, 2023 2:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.