Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 10, 2010 7:46 PM

Feb 2008
meh, the ginga beam is all well and good but since all "beams" must be compared to the "mikuru beam", ginga pales in comparison
Oct 10, 2010 7:52 PM

Nov 2007
pretty good so far, not feeling the mecha with high heels
Oct 10, 2010 7:59 PM

Sep 2008
garfield15 said:
R1seAgainst said:
The music background and sound effects are really good but it looks like a kiddie show.
Like when we were small, we imitate all those silly posture and silly lines that the main character does.

Yeah, all that fanservice and nudity is sure for kids alright.

Seriously, have you not seen a Super Robot anime? They used to do that posing and silly lines all the time.

I do but i mean this is the 20th century, the beam attack is so overused and not so original.
I was expecting more of Code Geass level mecha anime
Oct 10, 2010 8:03 PM

Aug 2009
R1seAgainst said:
garfield15 said:
R1seAgainst said:
The music background and sound effects are really good but it looks like a kiddie show.
Like when we were small, we imitate all those silly posture and silly lines that the main character does.

Seriously, have you not seen a Super Robot anime? They used to do that posing and silly lines all the time.

I do but i mean this is the 20th century, the beam attack is so overused and not so original.

But this isn't a Real Robot series like Code Geass was. That should have been apparent from a trailer or heck, even the glowing swords
Oct 10, 2010 8:17 PM

Apr 2009
wow. Talk about an amazingly beautiful fight.

I really dislike Wako's character design. She looks like a blob... that's not even moe. Maybe if her hair were longer =\

What's with all the Sugata/Takuto? "But it looks like he's already lost his heart to Sugata Shindo." Could mean that the Crux lost a chance to recuit Takuto because Sugata was able to get to him first. However, based on what we know of Takuto's character, that he met Sugata first has nothing to do with why he would help Wako and the other maidens, and so that line would be functionless as a piece of dialogue if that is what it meant to imply.

I don't really get what they were trying to convey with 'through the glass', all the times it was repeated. It seems like there was supposed to be some ~deep~ meaning. idk.
Oct 10, 2010 8:22 PM

Jul 2009
R1seAgainst said:
>>Implying Code Geass is the standard of mecha genre

Real Robots=/=Super Robots

Real Robot:Gundam,Code Geass,Macross,Patlabor
Super Robot: Daitarn,Gurren Lagann,Diebuster,Star Driver

Imagine if Knightframe Lancelot is got pwned by Gurren Lagann D:
Oct 10, 2010 8:23 PM

Nov 2007
So well animated, I'm dazzled alright. I get a nice little laugh each time the Crux Brigaders go KIRABOSHI (ノゝ∀・)~キラ☆. Tau Galaxy Beam was anti-climactic but I realised with all this fab-ness being thrown around I simply don't care. Really loving this show so, so much. Next episode~~~

君の銀河は、きっと輝く!
Oct 10, 2010 8:45 PM
Nov 2008
I have no idea why, but I think I love Star Driver. It just gets me in all the right ways. The cheesiness and fabulousness just make it that much better. The animation is great (I would expect no less from Bones) and the plot, while it still has some pretty big holes so far, is interesting.

Although, and maybe it's because the script writer is the same, I keep drawing parallels with Revolutionary Girl Utena. It was probably the whole song+ascent into weird space+crazy transformation of hero+battle sequence mixed with the mysterious council and heavy symbolism among other things that got me thinking. So, is it just me?
Oct 10, 2010 9:07 PM
Jun 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:

MorningGlory said:
AHHHHH "THE NAME" PLEASE CHANGE THE LAME NAME!!!!
Is Galactical Fly Boy better? XD
because of the naming ,I felt like the whole damn series is like a beauty contest !!!
Oct 10, 2010 9:18 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah this show is extremely cheezy, but thats what makes it really good. I always get a huge kick out of takuto transforming. i keep thinking takuto...dude...your not a magical girl.

i wish there would be another rating that says: 5 out of 5: FABULOUS
ariamachiOct 10, 2010 9:27 PM
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Oct 10, 2010 9:24 PM

Jul 2009
Oct 10, 2010 9:29 PM
Jul 2010
I want to see more of Sakana-chan >w<
And the matter of Takuto and Sugata confuse me owo ??
Anyone who is a fantastic gif maker please contact me! ;)
Oct 10, 2010 9:46 PM

Sep 2008
Kagura89 said:
Gangler said:
Wondering whether the cybodies will get weapons (it's uncommon for the mech not to have a gun, sword, something to put in that hand.)
If preview indicates anything, we will have sword duel :D

Tauburn has 2 star swords, Sapphire & Emerald in addition of "Tau Ginga Beam" attack. Not sure about the other Cybody weapon but the next ep enemy Cybody, Tzadikt use star sword Amethyst.
Must have missed that. Gonna rewatch because it sounds awesome.

chinaboat said:
meh, the ginga beam is all well and good but since all "beams" must be compared to the "mikuru beam", ginga pales in comparison
Well it's no starlight breaker I'll give you that.

R1seAgainst said:
garfield15 said:
R1seAgainst said:

In additon to the other rebuttals I would like to add that it is in fact the 21st century, and that this show was blatantly designed as a throwback to the older super robot shows. Also you seem to be preocupied with not seeming to be a child, which would indicate that you either are one, or are only recently not one. Full grown people don't concern themselves with such things. We know we're not children, so why should it matter whether something bears similarity to things we enjoyed when we were?
Oct 10, 2010 10:01 PM
Jul 2009
LOLwut?

This show is pure entertainment. I don't even know what's going on but I do know I like it.

Also that whole kiss bit was random as hell.
Oct 10, 2010 10:45 PM

Nov 2007
daaaaamn, bro just got kissed & couldn't calm his boner down.

also:

KI☆RA☆BO☆SHI aka another fab episode, hnnggghh.
Oct 10, 2010 10:46 PM

Oct 2010
This show is pretty cool
Oct 10, 2010 10:49 PM

Jan 2009
after Ginga Beam whats next? Ginga Drill Brekear? XD
Oct 10, 2010 10:54 PM

Nov 2009
beamu da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its a pinchi!!!!!!!!!
lol this show is hilariousssssssss so glad i waste 24 minutes of my life watching it every week
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2010 11:18 PM

Sep 2008
I still can't believe he said "We put the glitter in glittering stars" That may very well make him the most fabulous villain ever, merely by being unaware that this does not sound badass or evil.
Oct 11, 2010 12:21 AM

Aug 2010
this episode dazzled me alright. All im saying is that they better not english dub this, its gonna be sooooooo gay.
Currently Watching: Durarara!!
Oct 11, 2010 12:42 AM
Dec 2007
So it's really a Code Geass rip-off as expected. Well, actually all the ingredients are here (same kinds of characters, robot designs, genres, direction, outrageous namings, rhythm etc...), but it's hard for Soul Shitter's director Igarashi to put them all in the right order and succeed with the formula. There are definitely some good things in the show, but it's so all over the place that it doesn't have any coherence or focus at the moment. Still pretty cool, really well animated and voice casted though. I give it the benefits of the doubt for now.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 11, 2010 12:55 AM

Jun 2009
Jacut said:
So it's really a Code Geass rip-off as expected. Well, actually all the ingredients are here (same kinds of characters, robot designs, genres, direction, outrageous namings, rhythm etc...)

lol @ Code Geass rip-off. Dude, are we watching the same anime?
Oct 11, 2010 1:00 AM

Jun 2008
It looks more like RaXephon to me than Code Geass. But still I like it : P Takuto is fabulous as usual! :D

Oct 11, 2010 1:20 AM

Sep 2008
Jacut said:
So it's really a Code Geass rip-off as expected. Well, actually all the ingredients are here (same kinds of characters, robot designs, genres, direction, outrageous namings, rhythm etc...), but it's hard for Soul Shitter's director Igarashi to put them all in the right order and succeed with the formula. There are definitely some good things in the show, but it's so all over the place that it doesn't have any coherence or focus at the moment. Still pretty cool, really well animated and voice casted though. I give it the benefits of the doubt for now.
Lol. As far as I can tell there is no character similar to lelouch, CC, Kallen, or nunnaly. I suppose both Takuto and suzaku are fighter types without a remarkable level of intelligence but that's a stretch at best. The robots don't bear resemblance to eachother stylistically either.

I suppose they are both in the mecha action genre. You got them there.

The other ones don't even make sense. The names in code geass were pretty normal. We don't know what direction this is going in. We're two episodes in. Rhythm isn't even an applicable concept as far as I know. You can't say "Oh that anime has good rhythm" With a few possible exceptions where rhythm is imposed on an anime like samurai champloo. I suppose samurai champloo did have rhythm. I would still be surprised to find out that another show had deliberately used the same rhythm. There wouldn't be any profit to it.

the rest of your complaints about coherence and focus have already been addressed, but lets take this from the top. We're on episode 2 and they seem to have chosen the immersion approach. Drop you right into the setting and let everything explain itself naturally over the course of the adventure. This saves on exposition and lets us get straight to the action, with the drawback of us not understanding everything on the first page. It's a valid approach to the storytelling medium. If everything was told to us right off the bat it would remove a great deal of the fun in finding it all out.
Oct 11, 2010 1:59 AM

Aug 2010
I like the song that the girl in cage sing ..
anyone know the name or where to download???
Oct 11, 2010 2:09 AM

May 2010
ok ep
want more action
but i guess the 1 hit end it all thingy will do for now lol

~Nyaaa~

Oct 11, 2010 3:32 AM

Feb 2010
-Quasar said:
Jacut said:
So it's really a Code Geass rip-off as expected. Well, actually all the ingredients are here (same kinds of characters, robot designs, genres, direction, outrageous namings, rhythm etc...)

lol @ Code Geass rip-off. Dude, are we watching the same anime?

it has mecha so it is a Code Geass rip off ;) lol
Oct 11, 2010 3:42 AM

May 2008
this show is so mehhhhh but ok i still enjoying it a little =P

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Oct 11, 2010 4:41 AM

May 2009
Took a bit of getting used to, but I'm really warming up to this series. Spent much of the first episode wondering what the heck I was watching, but liking it more or less. The second episode was still strange and random. Still over the top. The mech designs - especially the main character's glam mech - still make me cringe. dThe fight was great. I don't understand why some are criticizing why the fights have been so one-sided. It's only the second episode of a long series and he's the only one standing up to them at the moment. The road will get tougher. Anyway, Star Driver's a lot of fun to watch and I'm looking forward to more. Oh, and as many have written already, the insert song was great. Beautiful.
Oct 11, 2010 5:12 AM

Jun 2010
So they will always fight at the same place ? Could be kind of boring. Seems like only bad guys know who are their enemy is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2010 5:22 AM

Aug 2009
Jacut said:

That's really stupid. I see no one like Lelouch or Suzaku or Emperor Charles in this at all. The robot designs look nothing like the Knightmares. These robots have more fluidity in their movements and also, they're magic giving them a super robot aim instead of Code Geass' real robot aim. I would love to see where Code Geass had maidens or Zero Time since I don't remember that too well. And how can they have the same "rhythm?" With that logic, Dragonball Z should have the same "rhythm" as Full Metal Alchemist given that they're both shounen and all.

Do you see a rebellion and an anti-hero? No, I see a normal guy piloting a robot to fight other robots in a space-time continuum void.

Gangler said:
I still can't believe he said "We put the glitter in glittering stars" That may very well make him the most fabulous villain ever, merely by being unaware that this does not sound badass or evil.

That's actually not what he said. gg's translation of that was really off.
Oct 11, 2010 5:34 AM

Nov 2008
I'm not going to lie, this show was hyped like hell, but it may actually become pretty nice. Some shows just have this one thing that can make them good: self-mockery.

And dang, who is the name behind that fish girl? I need a full version of that song. Quite captivating.
Oct 11, 2010 5:58 AM

Mar 2008
YES. I don't know why, I can't stop watching Star Driver. It's not even my genre, but I really just can't stop it.
I guess it's too fabulous. IT'S A PINCHHHHHHH.
Tell me how it feels, breaking down the old walls.

Oct 11, 2010 6:12 AM

Oct 2008
Another epic episode!
I love the art and animation in this sooooo much!
When the ED song came up I was like "Geez this episode is finished already?"
I want more!!!
Oct 11, 2010 9:08 AM

Sep 2008
garfield15 said:

Gangler said:

Who would you recommend? I'm open to whatever. If there's better subs I'll check them out.
Oct 11, 2010 9:32 AM

Aug 2009
I like it cause its cliche, weird, kitsch and all the rest :P
So yeah juding it with the fantabulous meter it reaches top of the top! xD
Although this ep was less sparkling than the first one! meeeh.... i need more bishounen sparkles next time onegai!

~on a side note, i hope noone takes the series seriously O.o cause that wouldn't be so fantabulous.. :O
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Oct 11, 2010 10:14 AM

Jul 2008
d0uble said:
I like the song that the girl in cage sing ..
anyone know the name or where to download???

Apparently it's Monochrome (モノクローム) by Tomatsu Haruka.

It eerily sounds like the song with the same title from Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex OST, albeit THAT song was in English while this one is Japanese.

If it's wrong though, then the one that told me that was wrong, not me lol
Oct 11, 2010 10:22 AM

Jul 2010
I have no idea what to think of this anime. It's way too flashy to take it serious (I mean the glittery society (or something like that), the glitters the special people have, the too much fanservice, the galactic pretty boy, the beam, the glitter mode, the yellow hair dye (where came that from? :P) and the outfit and the glitterbeam XD) But I like it ^^ it's kinda random (like with Fairy Tail the first 10 episodes) and I don't get the whole plot yet but I'm glad there are 25 episodes and not 12/13 as I expected... :) Wanna see the next episode :) But I do hope they won't add any more "glitter" names XD

Btw are there other people who hope that Shindou also becomes a star driver? Since MAL said it's a main char but he hasn't done so much so far.. I hope so, I like him ^^
Oct 11, 2010 11:23 AM

Sep 2008
I have no idea what they're gonna do with shindou, but they gave him jun for a voice so I have to imagine he's significant.

They mentioned something about being able to pilot a robot strong enough to defeat the entire organization. At the time I had assumed that he would be the pilot of this mystery robot, but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. Multiple possible interpretations about what they might be talking about.

For some reason I suspect his skills might not lie in combat though. Maybe he's one of those evil geniuses in manipulating people. This is based on absolutely nothing. In fact it would be contradicted by the combat exercises we saw him going through at some point in episode one, so it is almost certainly wrong.
Oct 11, 2010 11:29 AM

Dec 2009
I have no idea what is happening, but I like it anyway. Insert song is lovely.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Oct 11, 2010 12:05 PM
Feb 2009
that "its's a pinch line" always gets me lol
Oct 11, 2010 12:15 PM

Apr 2008
Jacut said:

LOL

If Star Driver is a rip-off of any anime it is an Utena rip-off. It's hard not to notice any similarities, but they are not surprising, as Yoji Enokido was the main scriptwriter for Utena.

In Star Driver there is the "Order of the Glittering Star Cross" in Utena there is the mysterious Student Council. In both there is a strange arena where people can have duels. In SD the time stops when a duel is held, in Utena there is a castle hovering in the sky. In SD there is the Phoenician Alphabet stuff
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9620/1286209034282.jpg
http://kolbrin.com/articles/phoenicians/phoenicians.gif
In Utena duellists have to have a Rose Signet ring. In SD the blond maiden Wako appears/is kidnapped when a duel is held, in Utena there is the Rose Bride, etc.

I'm still not sure who is a counterpart of this manipulative bastard Akio, I guess it is either Head or Sugata Shindou, but it's too early to say.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Oct 11, 2010 12:17 PM

Apr 2008
Jacut said:

LOL

If Star Driver is a rip-off of any anime it is an Utena rip-off. It's hard not to notice any similarities, but they are not surprising, as Yoji Enokido was the main scriptwriter for Utena.

In Star Driver there is the "Order of the Glittering Star Cross" in Utena there is the mysterious Student Council. In both there is a strange arena where people can have duels. In SD the time stops when a duel is held, in Utena there is a castle hovering in the sky. In SD there is the Phoenician Alphabet stuff
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9620/1286209034282.jpg
http://kolbrin.com/articles/phoenicians/phoenicians.gif
In Utena duellists have to have a Rose Signet ring. In SD the blond maiden Wako appears/is kidnapped when a duel is held, in Utena there is the Rose Bride, etc.

I'm still not sure who is a counterpart of this manipulative bastard Akio, I guess it is either Head or Sugata Shindou, but it's too early to say.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Oct 11, 2010 12:25 PM
Feb 2009
"IT'S A PINCHHHHHHH" always gets me lol
Oct 11, 2010 2:43 PM

May 2008
Please tell me this isn't the format that the series is going to follow throughout. I seriously thought I was watching episode one because of it being the same layout.

Oct 11, 2010 4:58 PM
Jul 2008
garfield15 said:

Oretachi Filament ni kozo, kiraboshi no wa kagayaiteiru. If my ear doesn't decieve me.

So can you translate it better? I'm only a weaboo so my jap is far far from perfect, but it should probably be something close to "It's because of us, filament, that kiraboshi shines". Gg's translation is just another way to say the same thing, probably cause they thought it sounded better that way.

So, can your weaboo abilities overpower mine?
Oct 11, 2010 5:14 PM

Nov 2008
Still don´t know too much about some things, but still good animation and effects.Waiting for the next episodes to know much and for more Fabulous epicness xD
Oct 11, 2010 5:42 PM

Aug 2009
Nachotee said:
garfield15 said:

Oretachi Filament ni kozo, kiraboshi no wa kagayaiteiru. If my ear doesn't decieve me.

So can you translate it better? I'm only a weaboo so my jap is far far from perfect, but it should probably be something close to "It's because of us, filament, that kiraboshi shines". Gg's translation is just another way to say the same thing, probably cause they thought it sounded better that way.

So, can your weaboo abilities overpower mine?

Hey hey, in order to be a weaboo, I'd have to think everything in Japan was superior to anything else and write/speak in Japanese all the time even though I barely understand it which I really don't do.

And as for the translation, yours exactly what I was thinking. "We putting the glitter in Glitter in glittering star" seems to be more of gg pushing the fabulous in their translation.

What is with gg's translation anyway? They translated "It's a pinch" as "with these pliers," and they keep calling Sakana-chan "fish girl" (yes I know Sakana-chan=fish girl but I think Sakana is actually her name) I know her name is definitely that because it was in the pdf that was released a few weeks ago.
Oct 11, 2010 6:41 PM
Mar 2010
I have no idea where they are going with this, but still entertaining nevertheless lol
sexy villains and fabulous names... awesome insert song by the way. The only thing I don't like is how they get to the battle, which will probably change in the future episodes.

Stop comparing Code Geass with this. They aren't similar in any ways except the obvious ones.
Oct 11, 2010 6:44 PM
Mar 2010
Sexy, slutty villains, just what we needed in a pretty boy anime :D lol
Hope they don't keep the same formula in how they get to the battle though: talking ,talking, talking, random battle, hero kicks ass, the day is saved.
Love the insert song btw.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Jan 23, 2011

130 by HerdianElang »»
Apr 8, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Oct 31, 2010

135 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jan 17, 5:33 PM

» This anime have some kind of boys love?

Kuku_Kill - Feb 11, 2023

6 by Ronninn »»
Feb 11, 2023 4:20 PM

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Jan 30, 2011

102 by notbraxten »»
Sep 1, 2022 1:56 AM

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

HawthorneKitty - Apr 3, 2011

242 by Alvie48xi »»
Aug 30, 2022 8:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.