Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

Poll: Is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Overrated?

Aug 12, 2008 11:30 AM

Skarith said:
Don't feed the troll!
Neverender said:
Delete this, please.

I think this sort of thing could be aiding people in finding it overrated.

I watched the thing the whole way though.
It was more than I expected, because I didn't expect much from it.
But a number one ranking? Hell no.

Also, I don't remember seeing people this defensive in other anime topics here I've been to.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.

Aug 27, 2008 4:18 AM

ukonkivi said:

Also, I don't remember seeing people this defensive in other anime topics here I've been to.
The thing is, if Gurren Lagann doesn't "deserve" to be #1 in MAL, there would just be another anime, be it Death Note, the OVA to Ruroni Kenshin, whatever, and as long as there is a rating system and a top 10, 20, 30, on and on list there will be hypes for the #1 anime, LOTS of critics because it is #1 but it doesn't appeal that way to everyone, and lots of supporters that goes against the critics. What happens if one side disagree with the other? Endless discussions. Because as "epic" as Gurren Lagann can get, there will always be flaws to an anime, especially for an anime.

Except there's one fact that's not refutable; the mass of people has ranked Gurren Lagann to be #1 on MAL. Some discussion of it is not going to change that fact, not ever. If some people voice out to say Gurren Lagann doesn't deserve the rankings it got, unless you can somehow miraculously change thousands of opinions on the Internet (or otherwise hack MAL to degrade the rankings), it will remain the way it is until a better anime comes in front of the mass's views.

Tsk, I feel really pointless writing 2 paragraphs on this, changing people's opinions on the Internet is probably like trying to make a rock move on its own.

PS: I would also like to know out of the million animes (are there even that many to begin with? Not a really big fan on figuring out the total number), if there is a better one than gurren lagann, lately I keep on thinking to stop watching anime because of its stupid plots, lame character developments, and mindless harems that keeps on popping up in the industry. Still watching CG:R2, except that got a lot of critics as well because of its hype. *sigh* By the way, do people even read wall of texts on MAL?
Modified by Tachii, Aug 27, 2008 4:26 AM

Aug 28, 2008 6:37 PM
Try not to talk about hypes, many good series are hardly under-rated and nobody is complaining about that. TTGL is the most entertaining anime out there, I haven't watched much but by now nothing has even got close to Gurren Lagann. If you are searching for psychological plots, this is not your goal, but if you are looking for an epic development and entertaining series, this is your spot.

Aug 28, 2008 6:39 PM
And, one point everyone is missing. Being ranked #1 means that many people thinks that TTGL is the best anime, it's an overall. For me it is the best, but the ranking isn't saying that, this series being ranked first just means that people prefers it, that's all.

Aug 28, 2008 6:45 PM
Fayli said:
Wishy said:
Over-rated? TTGL is UNDER-rated.

How?

I don't see it in Top Favorites ranked #1, I don't see Kamina ranked #1 an characters favorites, I don't see TTGL with a 10.00 average (jk).

Aug 29, 2008 7:38 AM

You could've just edit...instead of triple posting.

Aug 30, 2008 11:22 AM
ukonkivi said:
Skarith said:
Don't feed the troll!
Neverender said:
Delete this, please.

I think this sort of thing could be aiding people in finding it overrated.

You know, if it wasn't ranked #1, then it wouldn't deserve #1.
But since it's #1, it deserves it.

/end topic

Aug 30, 2008 11:44 AM

Majority ruleZ

Aug 30, 2008 7:08 PM
kie_ said:
Majority ruleZ

Yep.

Sep 2, 2008 6:14 PM

Sigh... Lets get this straight on shall we?
EVERYONE has their own opinions. If you're a straight + direct person...this anime for you my friend... won't grab your interest
My opinion is that TTGL isn't overrated. It had a great story, it was funny, there was fan service(lmao?).
And to you People who think that this anime sux or whatever and say that it was too unbelievable....BAKAS...anime/manga isn't ONLY for reality-based themes...like Wtf?

Besides The person who came up with this idea was probably discouraged because of the childish idea of the his anime's story just like you people who hate this anime. BUT guess wut? it was published, I watched and you people watched...I LOVED the anime, alot hated the anime, BUT MOST OF ALL...MORE LOVED THE ANIME.>_>

Look...if you REALLY-REALLY-REALLY-REALLY-REALLY hated this anime...I've got one question for you people....Can you guys*points and stares* make an anime/manga published?exactly...YOU CANT
Modified by exepher, Sep 2, 2008 6:22 PM

Sep 6, 2008 9:32 AM

if this question was asked to me when i was younger, then ill probably would have given this 10/10 and thus not overrated.

however, mecha anime is not really my type anymore, so in a way i guess im not really entitled to answer. however, out of all the possible mecha anime out there, this has to be near the top of the list. i will safely say that this is better than code geass, eureka 7, neon genesis, TLCL. However, to say it is better than the classics like gundam or macross would be a difficult conclusion.

is it overrated to me atm? Yes. However, it doesn't mean its a interesting, funny and most of all "fun" mecha anime. like to note though, the opening kicks ass and is my personal favourite
Modified by Pocarisweat, Sep 7, 2008 6:50 AM

Sep 7, 2008 10:50 AM

Just dropping by to look in at what everyone things. I know a lot of those who are saying, "it's not for everyone" and it isn't. It's like naruto only with huge mecha's, there is a constant battle of whose the strongest, developing character and plot in line for the next battle which inexplicably goes no where.

Well, with my opinion being thrown out there it's obvious that everyone is entitled to there opinion, with 61% of this thread(atleast those who voted) feel that it isn't, that's how politics work, you have those who 'care' to voice there opinion and take a vote, those who look, have there own view on the subject and never say anything and those of which who watch it, then move on.

Sep 8, 2008 6:39 AM

I don't think this anime is overated. Many mentioned that TTGL is masterpiece, wtf? Rating is 9,01 which means it is 'great', no more no less. I think it's an appropriate rating for this one. Althoungh i gave 8(very good).
I don't rate anime's just for feel, so in my list you won't see such a mess like only 10's or only 1's. Shame on those who do that. Cause of them rate system is fucked up.

The problem is not with TTGL rating - the problem lies in other anime's ratings. For example "Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen", "Cowboy Bebop", "Mushishi" and some others(maybe) - they are underrated. I guess that's because of those kiddies who can't watch serious things and give shitty 1's or 5's at best.

You are cracking the wrong problem. That's what it's all about.

Sep 8, 2008 8:19 AM

Yes, it is.

edwassas said:
I guess that's because of those kiddies who can't watch serious things and give shitty 1's or 5's at best.

5 is an average score.

Sep 8, 2008 8:54 AM

Fucking failure thread. MAL is the last rating system to take seriously. Have you noticed that almost nothing rates under a 5 or a 6 overall? That's because everything here is overrated by morons who give out 9's and 10's like candy. I'm yet to see anyone here who has the first clue about giving ratings.

As for TTGL itself being overrated, if you don't like an anime you personally didn't enjoy as much as the masses, then that's YOUR PROBLEM, NOT THEIRS.

Sep 8, 2008 10:13 AM

After 10 episodes, I fail to see why everyone says it's 'epic'... Or is it like in videogames, "z0mG!!!1 aWes0m3 graph1cz!!1 Ep1c!!!!1" where people just say it's 'epic' because it looks good?

Sep 10, 2008 1:25 PM
mueske said:
After 10 episodes, I fail to see why everyone says it's 'epic'... Or is it like in videogames, "z0mG!!!1 aWes0m3 graph1cz!!1 Ep1c!!!!1" where people just say it's 'epic' because it looks good?

the internet is just some giant hivemind where if a collective group of people say "wow guise GL is so awesome!" then everyone will follow suite despite their own opinion
GL wasn't bad for what it was- just some mindless super robot anime but its also no where near the best thing ever

Sep 11, 2008 5:11 AM

vxnine said:
mueske said:

the internet is just some giant hivemind where if a collective group of people say "wow guise GL is so awesome!" then everyone will follow suite despite their own opinion
GL wasn't bad for what it was- just some mindless super robot anime but its also no where near the best thing ever
I agree, I don't dislike it, it's quite enjoyable, but far from what people claim it to be.

Sep 11, 2008 5:11 PM

I really dont get why ppl think lagann is so great
I ussually like mecha animes but what i really disliked about this series are the unlogicall stuff happening all around
In 1 fight they are like doing 2 mins none sense stuff and fighting like for 10-20 secs

The episode where the mecha didnt work cos they were hungry gave me the finishing blow I mean is that supposed to be funny ? Either it gets alot more funny later on or its just not my kind of humour ~.~
Modified by Oldy, Sep 11, 2008 5:15 PM

Sep 11, 2008 5:13 PM

No... Its an amazing anime
Life is ephemeral..smile when you can and make the most of it ^^;

Currently scribble for Cyten.co.uk

Sep 11, 2008 6:15 PM

Rethice said:
Fucking failure thread. MAL is the last rating system to take seriously. Have you noticed that almost nothing rates under a 5 or a 6 overall? That's because everything here is overrated by morons who give out 9's and 10's like candy. I'm yet to see anyone here who has the first clue about giving ratings.

I kinda agree with you
Even though i dont have a big anime list yet i think ppl really giving out the ratings without thinking
Anime with 10 points should be perfect and well ppl just throwing out their 9`s and 10`s somehow @_@
I dont have yet discovered an anime which i would conisder perfect
Not even my most favourite one :S

Sep 11, 2008 8:27 PM

Of course not. Why would anyone ever post in a forum that they hate! I love this Anime!

Sep 11, 2008 11:25 PM

mueske said:

Lol I thought the animation is one thing that turn off a lot of ppl from watching it. The graphic is certainly not awesome IMHO =)

Chill out guys, why take the rating seriously? Argument on "overrated" stuff on the Internet always end up like this. Just like FF7, just like Transformers... its all opinions

Even if someone rate all the list with 10, its their opinion, why you care if it f*ck up the system. For me, I dont even care if Naruto is rated #1, although I dont like Naruto , it does have some good story early on , so I still give it a 6 or maybe 5, I dont remember Lol.

Watch what you like, rate according to how you think, everyone is here to talk and enjoy about anime right =)

Sep 13, 2008 7:42 PM

it's good, fun to watch. but #1? come on. i haven't finished yet, but for now it never really got me to go all "wow this is amazing" =/ (and i know why a lot of people gave it a 10 -_- yep. not gonna argue about that though)

Sep 14, 2008 4:53 AM
Thing's cannot be "overrated" unless the people rating are being insincere.
So.. are you calling us liars? =]

Sep 14, 2008 10:44 AM

Purple_Grenadier said:

Twisiting words much?
Something can be overhyped which can lead to high ratings
And imo there are tons of animes which are much better then Guren lagann
What makes it special?
No one can answer

Imo its just overrated and maybe ppl like the fan service in it a lil too much ;o

Sep 14, 2008 10:47 AM
GB2 /a/

Sep 14, 2008 10:48 AM
No. It is not.
I don't have to give my reason, so you can forget about shouting "high rating" crap at me.

Sep 14, 2008 10:52 AM

I have yet to see a rating system that hasn't failed before, so don't judge anything by the amount of high or low rating it gets. Give it a try urself and then make your judgement then and there.

Sep 14, 2008 10:52 AM

Overrated? Yes.
Bad? Hell no, one of the best series of 2007.

A lot of people like it, but they're liking it for the wrong reasons... hence "overrated".

Sep 14, 2008 6:08 PM

Oldy said:
Purple_Grenadier said:

Twisiting words much?
What makes it special?
No one can answer

Imo its just overrated and maybe ppl like the fan service in it a lil too much ;o

So you decide it is overrated and has fan service by watching the first 4 episodes?

Lol

Sep 15, 2008 6:19 AM

sHsIkuA said:
Oldy said:
Purple_Grenadier said:

Twisiting words much?
What makes it special?
No one can answer

So you decide it is overrated and has fan service by watching the first 4 episodes?

Lol

I watched 4 episodes and there were things i really couldnt stand
Fights which take way too long while they actually really dont fight and make none sense stuff
And stuff like the fusion of the 2 mechs and the mechs not working when they are hungry etc...
I talked with a friend who watched the full series and asked some if it changes whats most appealing to him etc

And ofc i saw some gifs/pics around the net with the bikini girl from lagann

Sep 17, 2008 5:10 AM

Alberto said:
Yes or No.
A simple question
No.

Sep 19, 2008 11:46 AM

aero said:
Alberto said:
Yes or No.
A simple question
No.
Exactly~

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-

Sep 20, 2008 3:33 PM
This is not over-rated, it's simple, people likes it, it is top ranked, end of discussion. There may be some under-rated series, but hardly over rated, if they are rated high is because people thinks it's good, if it is low rated maybe few people has watched it, or it is too mature for some kinds of people (like Saikano, maybe).

Sep 21, 2008 9:56 AM

Oldy said:
sHsIkuA said:
Oldy said:
Purple_Grenadier said:

Twisiting words much?
What makes it special?
No one can answer

Lol

I watched 4 episodes and there were things i really couldnt stand
Fights which take way too long while they actually really dont fight and make none sense stuff
And stuff like the fusion of the 2 mechs and the mechs not working when they are hungry etc...
I talked with a friend who watched the full series and asked some if it changes whats most appealing to him etc

And ofc i saw some gifs/pics around the net with the bikini girl from lagann

Wow.
Taking things LITERALLY in an anime.
That constitutes rating TTGL anything lower than a 9.
/sarcasm

Sep 21, 2008 6:47 PM

Just gonna state my opinion... Yes it's overrated it has a 9... what makes it so special compared to other anime? Is it more action packed, does it have more humor, or does it remind you of power rangers? If you say this show had awsome art id say Mushishi, if you say it's full of action id say Basilisk. If you say a show reminds you of power rangers id say Tengan Toppen Gurren Lagann. It's not that good it's average.. not a 5... since no one actually uses that as average, more like a 7. People give it a High rating because it's fun and easy to understand.
I personally enjoy some shows but if they aren't anything exceptional I still give them an average or low score.

Sep 23, 2008 4:22 AM
well this anime is overrated ... Gundam was a lot lot better and gundam was my First mech anime

TTGL i couldn't even pass the 2nd eps

Come on did u see the rebot it's a head LOL ... this anime fail hard

don't waste ur time on it only if u are under 15

my rate for this anime is -10 (couldn't find a worst number than -10)
Modified by q8rix, Sep 26, 2008 5:20 AM

Oct 5, 2008 11:54 PM
q8rix said:
well this anime is overrated ... Gundam was a lot lot better and gundam was my First mech anime

TTGL i couldn't even pass the 2nd eps

Come on did u see the rebot it's a head LOL ... this anime fail hard

don't waste ur time on it only if u are under 15

my rate for this anime is -10 (couldn't find a worst number than -10)

Well, you gave a 10 to Naruto and Bleach, and watched less than 20 series. Your score shouldn't be weighted.

Oct 7, 2008 6:13 AM

It's overrated.
It's also awesome.

Oct 7, 2008 10:01 PM

I just finished watching this series about a week ago. It was definitely enjoyable and fun to watch, I'll give it that.

But overall... I do think it's a little over rated. The story was good, yet weak at the same time, the characters were great, animation a little worse than normal (I don't really care about animation quality though), and so on.

I hear people saying they liked the second half a lot more than the first. However... I must say I liked the first half more. It kept my attention more. During the second half i was just watching it just cause I wanted to see it all the way through.

Summary: Great anime! But definitely not better than a 9 in my opinion.

Oct 16, 2008 8:43 AM

Waaaaay to overrated.
Ii tenki desu ne...

Oct 16, 2008 8:45 AM

definitely not. you have more fun watching this over and over again than watching these other mecha shows or anime in-general for that matter.

Oct 17, 2008 6:50 PM

A bit overrated, people should do more research before proclaiming an anime "the best ever" in general
but in no doubt is this a bad anime, its so awesome

Dec 22, 2008 7:28 PM
I can't believe this bullshit is #1. Better than full metal and death note?... i don't think so

Dec 22, 2008 11:08 PM
Are you frikin kidding me this shouldnt even be a debate you can clearly tell that TTGL is an amazing series abd the only thing it lacks is episode number. When you think about it if you havent ever seen it from the bigining and you suddenly saw the last episode it would be very wierd and akward but if you see it from the beginning you know exactly whats happening. all in all TTGL is one for

Dec 22, 2008 11:29 PM

qtipbrit said:
Overrated? Yes.
Bad? Hell no, one of the best series of 2007.

A lot of people like it, but they're liking it for the wrong reasons... hence "overrated".

Agree with this word for word

Dec 22, 2008 11:37 PM

I enjoyed the pacing.
And I enjoyed the general OVER 9000 feel.
I HATE the fanbase. Gurren Lagann has one of the WORST fanbases I have ever seen.
It turns my fairly good memories of Gurren Lagann into OH GOD FUCKING OVERRATED GURREN LAGANN I HATE GURREN LAGANN FANS ALMOST ALL OF THEM.

I don't really like any of the characters other than Nia, Simon, and Darry.
I don't know if I've responded to this thread before or not.

I really had a good chance of loving this anime. But I'm being driven to the near point of hating it with every fiber of my being.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.

Dec 25, 2008 8:01 PM

Ending? Most epic ever? It's a "masterpiece" as in how much excitement it delivers for each episode. Aside from that, isn't it easier to chose a "masterpiece" rating than "perfect" rating? Story doesn't matter nor animation if you're smart enough to notice the direction taken for this to be such an "oh shit" factor in combat. Sure, some people think it's too simple perhaps as a fact it beat code geass and all the others because it's a mecha anime. It's also a revolution or a refreshing take in the mecha genre instead of dragged battles. ENJOYMENT tops storyline, character develpment and all the shit people are complaining about. It's kinda a masterpiece to deliver such enjoyment until the end. Nuff said, nuff said.

Dec 26, 2008 6:55 AM

No. That's not how it works. That's how you measure popularity, not quality. Many people don't even try to be rational when they rate an anime.
The masses can show you how much people like the show, but good reviewers can tell you how good it really is. Of course, they're not 100% reliable, but at least they know what they're talking about.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »