Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2008 11:33 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So the Kaiser really is like a puppet king. Considering the circumstances of his ascension I can see why he has no interest in politics. So that would technically make Klaus von Lichtenlade the real man in power even though he still has to go through Friedrich to get anything approved.

I like how Reinhard was able to easily get Flegel agitated. Flegel looks like the typical holier-than-thou priviledged aristocrat. His veiled threat to Annerose was pretty low. Whatever his plans are there's no way he can even stand a chance to Reinhard.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 9, 2008 5:48 AM

Apr 2008
tainteddonut said:
I like how Reinhard was able to easily get Flegel agitated. Flegel looks like the typical holier-than-thou priviledged aristocrat. His veiled threat to Annerose was pretty low. Whatever his plans are there's no way he can even stand a chance to Reinhard.
Exactly.

It seems that Reinhard doesn't mind bending over backwards for his sister at all.

Leaving a cane with an explosive though? He should have stayed longer and at least he could have brought a gun and kill Braunschweig in person if he was going to die anyways. Also, I noticed that he used a pistol to commit suicide, seeing as there was only one hole in his head.

Didn't Marquis mention his "children" earlier in the episode? And then no heir?... It's not like his "children" died in the time between his meeting with Brauschweig & Flegel and the party. >__>;;

It was getting pretty suspensful with the countdown there. ;D

I can't tell is Kircheis is attracted to or reppeled from that baroness. Maybe I'm just fantasizing again. -_-;;

5/5
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Aug 7, 2008 7:03 PM

Sep 2007
LoveWifeLunch said:
Didn't Marquis mention his "children" earlier in the episode? And then no heir?... It's not like his "children" died in the time between his meeting with Brauschweig & Flegel and the party. >__>;;

That is pretty odd. Illegitimate children, maybe? Or he could have been lying to Braunschweig about his children... although I can't imagine why. And that sort of thing would normally be common knowledge.

Interesting information about the Kaisers, at least. We've spent a lot of episodes in the Empire recently - which is perfectly fine with me. I'm still a lot more interested in Reinhard than Yang.
Oct 28, 2008 12:21 PM
Oct 2008
Why did he leave the cane such a visible place? If the servants in Braunschweig's mansion worked better it would have been carried away very quickly. And what was security doing?
May 30, 2009 12:14 PM

Mar 2008
The assassination plan was so lame... he actually expected it to work? o.o
Jul 25, 2009 1:47 PM

Dec 2008
Lol at the assassination plan, so lame.
Jul 27, 2009 2:59 AM

Jun 2009
naikou said:
LoveWifeLunch said:

That is pretty odd. Illegitimate children, maybe? Or he could have been lying to Braunschweig about his children... although I can't imagine why. And that sort of thing would normally be common knowledge.

Interesting information about the Kaisers, at least. We've spent a lot of episodes in the Empire recently - which is perfectly fine with me. I'm still a lot more interested in Reinhard than Yang.

I agree, the Empire is very interesting with all the backstabbing and, now, assassination attempts. It's also interesting watching Reinhard rise in power.

However, I still like Yang. It's just that it feels as though not near enough as time has been spent on his character compared to Reinhard. Of course, there still ALOT of time left in this series.

It's getting better with every episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 4, 2009 3:08 PM

Jan 2009
Imperial terrorism? Oh geez.

It was interesting to get some background on the previous kaisers, and on Frederich who became Kaiser out what may appear to be sheer luck from his brothers' fighting over the succession of the throne. I'm also enjoying how the show as a whole is getting better with the next episode.
Sep 13, 2009 5:03 AM

Nov 2008
Deux ex machina ftw?
So just at the moment when the bomb was about to explode, a granny fainted and of course Reinhard just decided to use the bench where the cane was located.
And well of course Kircheis was so stupid that he couldn't figure out that the cane was a bomb, even if noticed that the old man did have a cane when he come to the party and even if he knew that he was fallen noble (or something like this).

Ridiculous. But what is the most ridiculous in this episode is that:
This plan was so lame, really, but it could have been a real success without this ridiculous deux ex machina.
HooHiraiBunnySep 13, 2009 5:07 AM
Sep 20, 2009 11:24 AM

Feb 2008
There was a short dialogue at the end that made me scratch my head. Klopstick has set his palace on fire and shot himself. Outside Brauschweig ask the the imperial troops' captain "why aren't you shooting", and the captain points at the statue of the honored Lord Rudolf as excuse. I'm just wondering, what were they supposed to shoot at? A burning house? Wooh, that's worth wasting bullets on. Someone didn't think too hard about those lines, I think. Unless the translation is completely off, of course.

And yeah, the assassination plan was stupid.

I quite liked the baroness though. Interesting character. Assuming his love for Annarose doesn't work out, Kirchheis could do worse than her.
Dec 19, 2009 10:01 AM

Apr 2009
^ yeah, there was probably some translation errors ))

but anyway, it was a nice episode..
new chick introduced
Jun 15, 2010 1:18 AM

Jul 2008
Mmm, Beethoven ♥

BEGINNER
Jul 24, 2010 9:04 PM

Oct 2007
Just now watching this and i got confused, probably because of the bad animation, about the part where blondie brat gets out of the car.

Did he really hit the old geezer or is that old man just senile and was starring randomly at him?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2010 3:37 PM

Jan 2010
Peralisc said:
Just now watching this and i got confused, probably because of the bad animation, about the part where blondie brat gets out of the car.

Did he really hit the old geezer or is that old man just senile and was starring randomly at him?

haha i want to know that too,i didn't get that scene either

again,this was a good episode,so 4/5

the old man kinda lost it,he wanted to kill everyone by blowing up the palace?couldn't he just put poison in the drinks?

by the way I have a question,why does this look like it's taking place in 1810 in Russia?

this is supposed to be 1000 years into the future,did they think that acting like that is cool?or it's just a cliche from the writer..."let's combine the old and the SF"
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 15, 2010 11:14 PM

May 2010
I saw it coming, he committing suicide.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 16, 2011 9:56 AM

Dec 2010
This was actually a really good episode, even with the admittedly lame assassination attempt. The countdown was pretty tense

Good to see Kircheis's crush on Annerose still cropping up when they meet :-D Although the Barronness would be an excellent alternative...the poor guy's spoilt for choice!
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Mar 29, 2011 8:06 AM

Feb 2010
'It just that after being barked at by so many ill bred dogs, every now and then I take a kick at one, for that dog's own good.'

What a great comeback.
Jul 9, 2011 12:28 PM

Aug 2010
Nice episode
Jul 29, 2011 11:58 PM
Jun 2011
I know it was lame, but I was hoping that the bomb would at least kill von Braunshwieg.
Aug 19, 2011 10:49 AM
Jul 2010
Same old political struggle, repeated every day in every country. These aristocrats cling to their perception of power, arbitrarily materialized by whatever objects their culture prescribes value to. As their influence goes up and down, to match social standing, the parasites hatch ridiculous plots like this. Maybe if their image were dictated by merit then the schemes would be well thought out. They are in a culture so driven by transparent posturing, that the resulting upper-class wields an intellectual sophistication roughly equal to a rodent.

I was a little creeped out by Kircheis staring at Annerose. I know he's a nice guy, but those eyes were a little too wide and unflinching.

clannad4ever said:
by the way I have a question,why does this look like it's taking place in 1810 in Russia?
If I remember right Rudolf Goldenbaum, the guy who changed the Galactic Federation into an Empire, insisted on that. I think he popularized Norse mythology as a religion, and the German Empire under Bismarck as a culture. Since Rudolf is basically a godlike symbol in the Empire, his hobbies and interests are at least superficially adopted by everyone who wants to appear loyal. Over time I guess they became the norm.

At some point there's this in-universe documentary about it.
Aug 20, 2011 9:17 AM

Sep 2008
Luthimal said:

I was a little creeped out by Kircheis staring at Annerose. I know he's a nice guy, but those eyes were a little too wide and unflinching.

you would understand if you only knew what kind of sacrifice he was making just to be near/around her; that blond brat would probably be the most annoying friend a person can have...
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 26, 2011 9:44 AM

Apr 2011
Do I sense a love triangle brewing? Seems like the redhead likes Reinhard's sister too.
Mar 13, 2012 2:16 PM

Feb 2012
I like the details they've put into making the Prussian hierarchy and aesthetics compatible with the space technology. For example, Kircheis was using some kind of laptop in the car which had old Germanic looking decorations (even the mouse). At the same time they have cars that look like they're from the 30s. On the other hand, the alliance has a more modern look, but still the daily lives of people don't look that different despite the space technology. It's more interesting to watch than those ultra clean and automatized cities we often see in science fiction.
Apr 11, 2012 9:20 PM

Feb 2012
Feorg said:
For example, Kircheis was using some kind of laptop in the car which had old Germanic looking decorations (even the mouse).

I love that laptop.
May 23, 2012 8:11 PM

Jun 2009
I actually really liked this episode the second time. Again, I think Luthimal hit the nail on the head with his comment.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 26, 2012 11:50 PM

Sep 2009
Feorg said:
I like the details they've put into making the Prussian hierarchy and aesthetics compatible with the space technology. For example, Kircheis was using some kind of laptop in the car which had old Germanic looking decorations (even the mouse). At the same time they have cars that look like they're from the 30s. On the other hand, the alliance has a more modern look, but still the daily lives of people don't look that different despite the space technology. It's more interesting to watch than those ultra clean and automatized cities we often see in science fiction.

Thats neat.....
I never actually even thought about how the technological advancements have gone in LotGH.
It's really actually interesting thinking back on all the different technological mixes. Some obviously based around unknown technological advancements. (Floppy Disks being used ), but yet others for stylistic choices.

So much different then something like Blade Runner, or Star Trek.
Mar 19, 2013 11:55 AM

May 2010
Finished seeing this today. Indeed the assassination plan was really dumb, but it would have had a better chance of success. I doubt anyone could have poisoned or ambushed the Emperor.

The best part of the episode is the end, when the house is on fire and Beethoven's masterpiece starts to play. THE CHILLS!
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jun 21, 2013 8:37 PM

May 2011
That party really gave me FF8 vibes (SeeD), especially with the way Reinhard was dressed.

All in all, an excellent portrayal of how the turbulent times would look like. This is only the tip of the iceberg too.

I really like the dialogue style of all the characters too, it's classy.

This anime is going to be a journey! Looking forward to it.
Jul 22, 2013 7:31 PM

Jun 2013
Wow, this is too good, the Kaiser got lucky.
Sep 11, 2013 12:06 AM

Nov 2009
Great episode. Loved the whole suspense on whether or not the bomb would go off with them still in the room ... Atlhough you would think that this far in to the future they would have more advanced bombs, bombs that could have blown up the entire mansion easily.
Nov 27, 2013 7:40 PM

Feb 2013
Well that was a terribly boring episode.

I'd drop this if people weren't admitting the beginning of this series was known to be awful...
Dec 14, 2013 2:30 AM

Sep 2013
Lol, I like how the Galactic empire is a copy of the Roman empire at about 100 AD or so with all the murders of the Kaisers (Caesars) and stuff. You could almost call it a rip off. Not to mention they use same kind of architechture at some buildings as the ancient Romans did. And they have also copied nazis on their uniforms and names...

Anyways, that was ok episode. Some nice Game of Thrones there.
Dec 15, 2013 4:26 PM

Jul 2009
cupc said:
Lol, I like how the Galactic empire is a copy of the Roman empire at about 100 AD or so with all the murders of the Kaisers (Caesars) and stuff. You could almost call it a rip off. Not to mention they use same kind of architechture at some buildings as the ancient Romans did. And they have also copied nazis on their uniforms and names...

Anyways, that was ok episode. Some nice Game of Thrones there.

It's more copied from mid-19th century Prussia. Which did eventually unify Germany. Nazi Germany also used many Prussian symbols to stoke nationalism.
May 31, 2014 6:52 PM

Sep 2012
Another great episode, even if it was a little convenient how the staff got removed.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Oct 27, 2014 7:34 PM

Mar 2012
That poor guy who carried the cane away lol.
Feb 3, 2015 11:40 AM

May 2012
Great episode, really liked the overall pacing of this one! Let's see what's next.
Feb 6, 2015 8:43 PM

Aug 2014
That was a very good political-scheme plot they had in this episode. The characters were well fleshed out this episode yet again. The creators of this show are handling it very well.
May 2, 2015 9:48 AM

Jan 2013
It was interesting in the end. I wonder why the civilization decided to adopt that architecture and style. They didn't leave Earth until 2800AD
May 9, 2015 11:21 PM

Feb 2014
berserker15 said:
That was a very good political-scheme plot they had in this episode. The characters were well fleshed out this episode yet again. The creators of this show are handling it very well.
quoting this because I'm too lazy to type out my thoughts myself at 1:30am.

May 23, 2015 7:11 AM
Nov 2014
I'm loving this show already mayne, they know how to produce such an excellent developments for the characters every episode and this episode was not an exception.
Jun 19, 2015 2:51 AM

Dec 2013
Pretty good episode. Interesting to see a more political side for this episode. Reinhard got unbelievably lucky!
Jun 22, 2015 2:02 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Kind of weird how the house blew up and everyone was having a good time after that .
Jun 29, 2015 7:10 PM

Feb 2015
What a bad plan if he was planning on killing himself why didn't he not just shoot the guy or hide the cane although that person just happened to faint
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2015 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
We don't know if he planned to kill himself from the beginning. It's implied that he committed suicide because of the failure.
Aug 5, 2015 4:24 AM

Jul 2015
2/5
Aug 10, 2015 3:04 AM

Jan 2014
I loved the music in this episode.
That baroness is very beautiful.
I guess the old man didn't really
care that much about killing the
kaiser. But it was probably his
last wish to at least try to.
Sep 20, 2015 9:18 PM

Oct 2013
HooHiraiBunny said:
Deux ex machina ftw?
So just at the moment when the bomb was about to explode, a granny fainted and of course Reinhard just decided to use the bench where the cane was located.
And well of course Kircheis was so stupid that he couldn't figure out that the cane was a bomb, even if noticed that the old man did have a cane when he come to the party and even if he knew that he was fallen noble (or something like this).

Ridiculous. But what is the most ridiculous in this episode is that:
This plan was so lame, really, but it could have been a real success without this ridiculous deux ex machina.

My thoughts exactly. Lol

Peralisc said:

I was also wondering that as well. I also was thinking he knew him in the past or something. My guess is that he thought he hit him, because the guy was staring at him.

overall I enjoy this episode, and its the best episode so far for this series. 4/5. Couldn't give it a 5 star rating though, because some stuff in this episode bug me a lot.
keragammingSep 20, 2015 9:25 PM
Apr 23, 2016 7:03 PM

Jun 2010
naikou said:
LoveWifeLunch said:

That is pretty odd. Illegitimate children, maybe? Or he could have been lying to Braunschweig about his children... although I can't imagine why. And that sort of thing would normally be common knowledge

I think it's just that Braunschweig didn't know enough about him to spot the lie. Why wouldn't he know despite the interconnected high-society setting? Because Klopstock has been a non-person for 30 years. A very subtle and effective way to demonstrate the character's grievance.

I also liked what I saw as an ambiguous hint that Klopstock's son killed himself because he had no future as a disgraced noble who couldn't get even get anyone to marry him.
May 29, 2016 7:20 PM

Aug 2014
Siegfried's constant stare at Annerose is creeping me the fuck out...

It's a shame that the two douches didn't die in the explosion.
Jul 15, 2016 7:52 PM

Apr 2012
Why are they talking about opening fire at a burning building?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.