Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (35) « First ... « 33 34 [35]
Jan 18, 2022 7:33 PM

Aug 2016
Because wokeness, wokeness and wokeness.
:v
Jan 18, 2022 7:33 PM
Feb 2015
Because you can't use a VPN with it without risking your account. I'm not gonna pay for the service if I'm at risk of losing my account when I use a VPN.
Jan 18, 2022 7:49 PM

Jan 2021
Because they are Scalpers of the Anime industry, getting rights for shows for next to nothing, paying their translators slave wages(and wonder why they are soo shit) they over censor, they feel no need to update their ancient UI and are basically a giant middle finger to the whole industry

Your helping the Anime industry long term by pirating and not funding the shows they provide, the quicker they don't exist the better the industry will be.
Jan 18, 2022 8:20 PM
Jul 2018
I've never seen an AD post with this many replies.
Jan 18, 2022 8:38 PM

Jul 2021
because pirated websites are better

Jan 18, 2022 8:54 PM

Jul 2013
One, it's woke garbage. Two, the whole site sucks and has always been a complete mess. Three, the dweeb staff are assholes. Four, HSG which is looks like an overblown Walmart cartoon.

Duh! That there are better options for watching anime. Crunchyroll used to be like AnimeKisa one time, but was never nearly as good. Instead, Crunchyroll was destined to fail.

Worst anime site ever. In the history of sucking. xD
Kurt_IrvingJan 18, 2022 8:58 PM
Jan 18, 2022 9:12 PM

Dec 2008
I hate Crunchyroll, because their security system is poor. I almost was about to lose my account. Subscribed for a whole year. Some asshole hacker managed to access my account. I asked with many other users the CR staff to add “Two-Step Verification”, “Authenticator” something. Non of the staff responded.
Jan 21, 2022 10:56 PM

Mar 2021
mwinner said:
I didn't even know Crunchyroll existed in 2010.

Jan 22, 2022 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
MeanMrMusician said:
mwinner said:
I didn't even know Crunchyroll existed in 2010.

right? I thought it was established in like 2013 or something.
Jun 3, 2022 11:00 PM

Feb 2021
dabdabgoose said:
Because they are Scalpers of the Anime industry, getting rights for shows for next to nothing, paying their translators slave wages(and wonder why they are soo shit) they over censor, they feel no need to update their ancient UI and are basically a giant middle finger to the whole industry

Your helping the Anime industry long term by pirating and not funding the shows they provide, the quicker they don't exist the better the industry will be.
What are your sources showing that they pay very little for their licenses? According to this article, the cost to license anime is actually pretty high. So I really wonder if your claim is even true.

Also how do they censor anime? There's plenty of anime uncensored on Crunchyroll already, and there's even anime that Crunchyroll helped produce that has nudity on it, and besides Crunchyroll doesn't have an editing team to change the look of every episode, they literally can only stream the versions they get from Japan.
"They feel no need to update their UI" well I got news for you cause they already did, and a long time ago at that.

Also I don't really understand that last argument. We would be better off without the shows they provide? I mean, I see that you are currently watching 6 shows that were co-produced by Cr, one of which you gave an 8...
Jun 3, 2022 11:43 PM

Jan 2021
MadanielFL said:
What are your sources showing that they pay very little for their licenses?, the cost to license anime is actually pretty high. So I really wonder if your claim is even true.
The issue is they pay through the broadcasters not the studios(like Netflix) so the trickle down effect is minimal since the vast majority of money stays away from the hands of the people making the shows.

That said I haven't really looked into it for awhile and judging from that link you sent it's improving(though the fundamental issues remain it does seem like on that front Crunchyroll is significantly less blameless then the Japanese broadcasting companies).

This video explains the problems the industry has pretty well: https://youtu.be/EDqAwL_XwNw

A HUGE problem I have with Crunchyroll is the payment to translators and since it's the single most important thing to get the show from japan to be consumable for the rest of the world it's disgusting what they do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6K-FOK_MrY

Also how do they censor anime? There's plenty of anime uncensored on Crunchyroll already, and there's even anime that Crunchyroll helped produce that has nudity on it, and besides Crunchyroll doesn't have an editing team to change the look of every episode, they literally can only stream the versions they get from Japan.

In hindsight from my part this is true mostly, I say mostly because sometimes they are in the position to choose but don't go with the uncensored option(tends to be when they get the rights to older shows that have already had plenty of episodes released, different to current seasonal shows).

"They feel no need to update their UI" well I got news for you cause they already did, and a long time ago at that.
You might be unaware but despite my complaints about Crunchyroll I have been a member for years(mostly for convenience) and I will say at current the UI is total trash and ancient even if it's been updated, it still looks like it's from the late 2000s, compared to when I had Animelab(which got consumed by funimation) it is dog shit and even compared to Funimation(which is in the process of being fully consumed by Crunchyroll) the industry is going backwards in that regard and it's forced on you essentially(I watch it via apps on Console to view through TV, not Mobile which looks more modern though harder to work out what the latest episode is for the day which they hide for no apparent reason).

Also I don't really understand that last argument. We would be better off without the shows they provide? I mean, I see that you are currently watching 6 shows that were co-produced by Cr, one of which you gave an 8...

Not everything about Crunchyroll is bad, though I have my doubts with Sony merging Funimation and Crunchyroll if this will be good long term, mainly with exclusive rights to certain shows.

As a paying member of Crunchyroll like I said above I'm not going to avoid Animes because Crunchyroll was involved with them nor would it change my rating of said show because they are involved, most of the industry is run in a toxic manner as it is.

That said I don't actually think that bad of pirating in general because it makes the industry wake up to itself on how much it loses by being run terribly, that said if your a paying consumer of the source material your supplying more money directly into the pockets of the shows you like then any paid service you can have to watch the anime.
Jun 4, 2022 8:04 AM

Feb 2021
dabdabgoose said:
The issue is they pay through the broadcasters not the studios(like Netflix) so the trickle down effect is minimal since the vast majority of money stays away from the hands of the people making the shows.

That said I haven't really looked into it for awhile and judging from that link you sent it's improving(though the fundamental issues remain it does seem like on that front Crunchyroll is significantly less blameless then the Japanese broadcasting companies).

This video explains the problems the industry has pretty well: https://youtu.be/EDqAwL_XwNw

Well I know this, but unfortunately that's just how the industry operates, in case you don't know, most studios don't own the shows they make, this means that they have no rights over the IP and they don't see any of the profit the shows make.
So when Cr goes to license a show, they have to pay the IP holders (the production committee) and not the studio, although there are cases where the studio itself is in the production committee.

However this system can be by-passed by Cr themselves being on the committee, because the budget to make a shows comes from the committee, and that would mean Cr is paying directly to the studio to help make a show. And since 2015 Cr has be on the production committee for more than 80 different shows.

I think the video is a bit out-dated at this point, he says 70% of profit comes from merch, when we can see from the latest anime industry reports that merch isn't the largest source of revenue for the industry anymore, with overseas streaming and licensing being number 1.

A HUGE problem I have with Crunchyroll is the payment to translators and since it's the single most important thing to get the show from japan to be consumable for the rest of the world it's disgusting what they do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6K-FOK_MrY
The issue with translators is totally understandable, but I just find ironic how some people will use this argument but at the same time say all Cr subs are trash and and that their translators and localizers should die.

It's because of this that I like Funi more, they would pay some of the highest translator wages in the industry, and Sentai also pay really high wages as well.

You might be unaware but despite my complaints about Crunchyroll I have been a member for years(mostly for convenience) and I will say at current the UI is total trash and ancient even if it's been updated, it still looks like it's from the late 2000s, compared to when I had Animelab(which got consumed by funimation) it is dog shit and even compared to Funimation(which is in the process of being fully consumed by Crunchyroll) the industry is going backwards in that regard and it's forced on you essentially(I watch it via apps on Console to view through TV, not Mobile which looks more modern though harder to work out what the latest episode is for the day which they hide for no apparent reason).
Well the old console app is still pretty old, but the new gen one on the ps5 is much better, I just use Cr mostly on my pc, and the website there works perfectly.

That said I don't actually think that bad of pirating in general because it makes the industry wake up to itself on how much it loses by being run terribly, that said if your a paying consumer of the source material your supplying more money directly into the pockets of the shows you like then any paid service you can have to watch the anime.
Buying the source material would be supporting the author and the publisher, not necessarily the show itself. With that said, the publishers like Kadokawa, Kodansha and Shueisha do produce most of the anime adaptations of the manga and LNs they publish. So buying from them wouldn't be bad, just know that your money wouldn't be going necessarily to the show of the manga or LN you bought. Because once a show finishes production the studio doesn't receive anything else from the committee.
Pages (35) « First ... « 33 34 [35]

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 7 hours ago

18 by MeanMrMusician »»
19 seconds ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

87 by downymaiden »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

206 by Thanatos1 »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

74 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
4 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

125 by FFandMMfan »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.