Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 2, 2010 6:31 AM

Jan 2009
Watched the first make of this and LOVED it, but now as I am watching the remake. It seems like they filled every battle scenes with gags. Which I don't remember being in the previous ones.

I actually hate these gags, they are basically mood wreckers for me.There is a time and place to put comedy segments, even an anime like Naruto knows when to insert appropriate gags... This is just like how Soul Eater inserted so many gags, that is just seemed like watching an episode of Pokemon, and I ended up dropping it. I do understand that some people do like the gags, however I don't.

Are these gags going appear less in future episodes? Or should I just drop the series now because I really can't tolerate any more gags before my head explodes. Please be honest because I don't want to end up watching 20 more episodes with gags overload.

Thanks!
Oct 2, 2010 11:03 AM

Jul 2010
well you will be missing the best anime ever then if you drop it. and what gags are you talking about? maybe i can't remember because all i can think of the battle scenes of FMA B are epic.

no what that means? your question is answered. ^^
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 2, 2010 11:06 AM

Jul 2010
oh, and they're just being faithful this time to the manga that's all. its not like those gags are inserted out of the blue.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 2, 2010 11:15 AM

Apr 2009
wtf means gags ?

=\
Oct 2, 2010 11:44 AM
Jun 2010
Jokes/Comedy purpose/Not serious

one example is Major Armstrong doing a statue of himself with his biceps when he was fighting Scar in the sewers.

AmberFebruary said:
oh, and they're just being faithful this time to the manga that's all. its not like those gags are inserted out of the blue.

I don't think "this is manga material" will convince him to no drop it. Some of the comedy in FMAB are actually really bad (though the Major Armstrong one is kinda funny though xD)

Oct 2, 2010 7:01 PM

Jul 2010
supersayen said:
Jokes/Comedy purpose/Not serious

one example is Major Armstrong doing a statue of himself with his biceps when he was fighting Scar in the sewers.

AmberFebruary said:

I don't think "this is manga material" will convince him to no drop it. Some of the comedy in FMAB are actually really bad (though the Major Armstrong one is kinda funny though xD)

yeah you're right, they're bad but i think they are there to lighten the tension, oh well, i ensure him the latter fights are serious and as i have said EPIC. ^^
Oct 2, 2010 8:46 PM

Feb 2009
BananaPeel said:
Watched the first make of this and LOVED it, but now as I am watching the remake. It seems like they filled every battle scenes with gags. Which I don't remember being in the previous ones.

I actually hate these gags, they are basically mood wreckers for me.There is a time and place to put comedy segments, even an anime like Naruto knows when to insert appropriate gags... This is just like how Soul Eater inserted so many gags, that is just seemed like watching an episode of Pokemon, and I ended up dropping it. I do understand that some people do like the gags, however I don't.

Are these gags going appear less in future episodes? Or should I just drop the series now because I really can't tolerate any more gags before my head explodes. Please be honest because I don't want to end up watching 20 more episodes with gags overload.

Thanks!

First of all, there were definitely gags in the first series too (remember the Indiana Jones style giant boulder in Lab 5)so you're looking at it with a bit of rose colored glasses.

Secondly, there's a reason why this is the number one rated anime on MAL. How many episodes have you seen, anyway? The gags do take a little time to let up (but they do let up) however everything else is so epic that it more than makes up for them.

Here's a couple of quotes from reviews of the series as a whole:

"As much as I enjoyed the first incarnation of the series, this telling of the Fullmetal Alchemist saga has left me immensely satisfied... It's a rare series these days that does what Fullmetal Alchemist does since so many are focused on shorter runs and just being silly. There's a large story here that unfolded beautifully outside of a few lulls. When it hits its stride at different times, it was one of the most exciting series I'd seen... This is definitely one of the best series of the decade for me." - Mania.com

And from a review of DVD box set part 2 (which covers episodes 14-26):

"By and large, this second part of Brotherhood is better than the first. Hell, it’s better than the original series and just about everything else I’ve seen in the past decade."- animemaki.net

Oct 3, 2010 3:37 PM
Sep 2009
The gags are much, much, much less prevalent in the latter half of the series. Don't let that dissuade you.
Oct 6, 2010 2:05 AM

Oct 2008
ChainsawAsh said:
The gags are much, much, much less prevalent in the latter half of the series. Don't let that dissuade you.

this
Oct 6, 2010 2:12 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah the gags occur less as it goes on into darker territory.
But yeah, good show and all, just get used to the ever so popular bashing or letting down of the original, because "manga source is always better", which in this case, I don't believe.
Feb 4, 2012 5:48 PM

May 2008
I thought I was the only one. The gags dont make the show unwatchable, I do find certain scenes funny, but when you put gags or comedic bits straight after a serious scene, that's just stupid, and so far they've done it with a few episodes.
Feb 4, 2012 7:40 PM

May 2011
They are more noticable in the beginning. I strongly recommend you continue, you will notice they become less prevalent as the plot thickens. FMAB will show you how serious scenes are supposed to be done, they're giving you breathing room right now.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.