Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 8 Discussion

Jan 17, 2016 12:06 PM

It's fascinating how Reinhard utilizes acts of selfless devotion to make good on his own ambitions. "I'll loan their positions out a little longer instead of an old folk's home" LOL @ the snappy remarks they make sometimes.

And with that, the Kaiser became an extremely fascinating character. I had a feeling there'd be more to him than Reinhard painted out, but the fact that he's aware of the schemes and even welcomes revolution should it bear fruit makes him a mind that can't be ignored.

Feb 23, 2016 5:07 PM
Well, this show only keeps getting better, I have a feeling that I will really get sucked in soon.

Apr 23, 2016 2:09 PM

Interesting to hear that Reinhard disagrees with the principle of hereditary aristocracy. What does he plan to do with the Empire after he's seized it if not pass it to an heir? Or does he just think he can raise one who deserves the power?

As for hypocrisy, given Reinhard's base motivation is bitterness over the "sale" of his sister it's amazing the way he underlines to Oberstein that he "purchased" and "procured" him to "be of use". Given that Oberstein hates people who look down on him this just might be idiotic arrogance on Reinhard's part.

Apr 23, 2016 6:41 PM

Fronzel said:
Interesting to hear that Reinhard disagrees with the principle of hereditary aristocracy. What does he plan to do with the Empire after he's seized it if not pass it to an heir? Or does he just think he can raise one who deserves the power?

This issue would be raised up a few more times as the series progresses, so keep an eye for it.

Fronzel said:

As for hypocrisy, given Reinhard's base motivation is bitterness over the "sale" of his sister it's amazing the way he underlines to Oberstein that he "purchased" and "procured" him to "be of use". Given that Oberstein hates people who look down on him this just might be idiotic arrogance on Reinhard's part.

It is not that simple. When Reinhard said "purchased" he meant it in the figurative sense, unlike his father who literally received a bag of gold. In fact, for someone as prideful as Oberstein to appeal to Reinhard showed how critical his situation was at that time. If Reinhard didn't had Oberstein transferred to his admiralty, the latter would have been court-martialled and most likely executed for desertion. Under such circumstances, it is not unreasonable for Reinhard to demand that Oberstein "be of use" to him in exchange for him being rescued from certain death.

May 29, 2016 6:42 PM

I swear Paul has nothing but trouble written all over him lol.

Jul 15, 2016 7:25 PM

love this episode.

Trouble in paradise~!

I guess threatening to arrest Oberstein was just a way of testing him; he basically passed by saying "you need dodgy allies"

Nov 14, 2016 5:45 PM

So Reinhard is basically the Lelouch of the Galactic Empire, huh?

Of course, if we view the historic order correctly, Lelouch is the Reinhard of Britannia, but I think you know what I mean.

Dec 10, 2016 2:44 PM

Afthe the fall of Iserlohn, now Reinhard has another opportunity to ascend in her dream!!!

Yang try to retired, but finally don´t it, thanks!!!! Because if Yang retired, end of this series xD

Hello, my litte boy!

Feb 5, 2018 5:50 PM
The dialogue is superb so far in this show. Reinhard is an absolute mad lad.

Apr 15, 2018 12:55 PM
Wow. So that’s where the deep end was.

Am I the only one who thinks that “Kaiser” would be better translated as “Fuhrer”? Friedrich appears old, tired and fed up with the games of state that Reinhard has hired Oberstein to play. Fantastic episode, more please!

Apr 27, 2018 3:08 AM

Good intro about the Galactic wars and the history. Oberstein is cool as always. Looks like Reinhard is playing a dual game, with Seigfried, he adopts a noble and gentle style, but with Oberstein, he uses the harsh and dirty ways.

Reinhard is a one dimensional character for all I care. He just wants to conquer the universe without purpose or meaning, for the only reason because he despises them. I also didn't get how Reinhard went from killing Oberstein to appointing him in a mere matter of minutes just because he was "outspoken". But reflecting on it now, I think that Reinhard noticed that Seigfried was too timid a person to carry out orders and may disagree with some of his actions, no matter how necessary they may be. To be frank, he may not have the guts to attain victory at the cost of his conscience. So, he took Oberstein, who looked to be a person who can assist him on this part of the action side.

In summary, for Reinhard, Seigfried is the angel part of his mind, while Oberstein is the devil part of his mind. Let's see if the whole thing becomes better.

BTW, Kaiser means emperor, used as a term in olden times. You will see a lot of historical references in this anime.

Yaoi subtext continues.
Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Aug 28, 2018 11:43 PM

Kind of amazing how Reinhard has no problem with making an ally out of Oberstein without expecting any friendship or loyalty. Sounds like he's buying into a risky advantage.

Nov 20, 2018 4:01 PM

I like Oberstain. He looks like he has ulterior motives

Dec 11, 2018 8:06 PM

The History lesson was great, the way everyone is aware of Reinhard's ambition not so much. On tge other hand, I am now quite interested in the current Kaiser, thanks to this.

4/5 Now, on-hold until I've read a few more manga tomes...

"pedo" ? Seriously...
Modified by Rei366, Dec 11, 2018 10:09 PM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]