Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 4, 2010 4:56 PM

Apr 2009
Meh...I was expecting and looking forward to the hollywood movie storyline for this, but instead we get....anime original material?
I wouldn't know as I've never touched the comics.

Oct 4, 2010 7:53 PM
Jul 2009
Fine ep, I thought they were going to set this in America though. I wish Tony was there to hand a piolit job to a Japanese. Might make more sense if he was looking for someone good enough in japan to piolit a Dio. Making Like a united nations Ironman force, or just looking for a good replacement so he can take an Alfred or old-Wayne back seat. Also if Stark was doing an international thing setting up arc reactors in other countries as well, that would backup setting one up in Japan. Wierd plot holes, but it looks fine, I don't expect much to be worth watching this other then ironman style fight scenes.
Oct 5, 2010 3:43 PM

Aug 2010
I don't think I'm going to continue this.
For some reason I just don't like it. Maybe it's the animation or the fact that Tony stark isn't attractive or cool in this or the fact that it's in Japanese, but for some reason I just don't like it.
I'm sure if Robert Downey Jr. sees this, he'll be so disappointed. This Stark has no finesse as far as I can tell.
As said previously, I don't think I'm going to continue this...
Opi-chanOct 6, 2010 10:30 AM
Oct 5, 2010 4:20 PM
Apr 2010
The hell was that?
Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 5, 2010 6:20 PM

Aug 2008
Madhouse + Marvel = FAIL.
Oct 5, 2010 9:11 PM
Jan 2008
Gangler said:
Kerozinn said:
wtf was that? i remember there was a first trailer everything looked awesome with much better animations. and now at this bullshit..stark looks liek a JERK and animations look pathetic..its loke some kiddy show now! 1/5 hated !

Tony Stark looks like a Jerk?! No Way! It's not as if they're this is an adaptation of an arrogant, alcoholic arms dealer who has a history of treating his friends poorly.

Oh um wait. Well shit.

LOLLLLLLLLLLL FUCK YEAH IRONMAN my drinking buddy on friiday nights.
Oct 5, 2010 11:23 PM

Sep 2008
What Tony Stark needs is an Uke. Lord knows he'd fill the Seme role well.
Oct 6, 2010 12:06 AM

Feb 2008
I hated the Iron man anime. Tony's eyes annoyed me the most, I could not stand them.
Oct 6, 2010 7:12 AM

Oct 2008
Character Design is crap
This episode was boring though
The music was good

So far it's the least show that impressed me this season.
Oct 6, 2010 8:25 AM

Aug 2009
Iisan-kun said:
Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, I'll give it that.

I don't care for the 'art' though.

+1
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Oct 7, 2010 12:47 AM

Sep 2009
Plot-wise, the episode was decent. There are some plot holes, but they have plenty of time to fill them in. I'm hoping that they give as much time to the "Japan distrusts Stark" plotline as they do to the Zodiac Warriors and the Dio suit, as I find that much more interesting. The writing could also use some work. Stark isn't quite as funny as he is in the films (which is the obvious source the anime is working from), and some of the dialogue feels forced. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Japanese reporter Nanami. She's kinda annoying and feels pretty superfluous, like a human character in a Transformers cartoon. But there's still time for her to be developed.

Everyone has been complaining about the animation. Personally, I don't mind the CG suits. They don't look so unnatural that it takes away from the show, and the rest of the animation is solid. But they really should cut down on the "fade to black" transitions. Seriously. There was one every thirty seconds, and it was very noticeable. The fight scenes looked great, though.

All in all, I thought it was a solid, if unremarkable episode.
Oct 7, 2010 1:07 AM

Feb 2010
When they were trying to make Stark seem charming he came off as a creepy douche. Considering it's set in Japan, and they keep saying Stark is American and he has BLUE eyes why has no one mentioned it's weird that he speaks flawless idiomatic Japanese? I hope they put some of the comic book Iron man stuff in, like Tony's alocholism or that magic ring guy.
Oct 7, 2010 1:10 AM

Sep 2008
Black_Jack said:
like a human character in a Transformers cartoon.
That is now my new favorite way to describe uninteresting and superfluous characters.

I never know what to make of characters like that. Like in Gundam 00 they had that young couple in school and they seemed to be there just to provide the civilians' perspective or something, but they were completely irrelevant plotwise. I think it's the same deal here. We're going to use her to present the japanese perspective.
Oct 7, 2010 1:57 AM
Jul 2009
Pretty decent first episode, I'll probably stick around to watch it because I really enjoy the idea of an all-American superhero being pitched against Japanese monstrosities.
Somehow the blended plot makes this series sound very interesting to me.

And even though I did enjoy Heroman, I'm glad they set the Iron Man anime in a Japanese setting.
Oct 7, 2010 4:02 AM

Sep 2009
Gallowglass said:
why has no one mentioned it's weird that he speaks flawless idiomatic Japanese?

It could have something to do with him being a genius at the head of a multi-million dollar international corporation.
Oct 7, 2010 4:13 AM

Feb 2010
Black_Jack said:
Gallowglass said:

It could have something to do with him being a genius at the head of a multi-million dollar international corporation.

Why would that explain it? Does Bill Gates speak every language in every country where windows is used? And how did he manage to learn Japanese language without ever being to Japan before or knowning anything about the Japanese culture.

I mean of course the reason is so that Japanese people watching can understand him. Does he speak Japanese with an American accent or something? I don't know enough to tell.
Oct 7, 2010 9:39 AM

Sep 2009
Gallowglass said:
Black_Jack said:
Gallowglass said:

Why would that explain it? Does Bill Gates speak every language in every country where windows is used? And how did he manage to learn Japanese language without ever being to Japan before or knowning anything about the Japanese culture.

I mean of course the reason is so that Japanese people watching can understand him. Does he speak Japanese with an American accent or something? I don't know enough to tell.

Other than the obvious reason that it's a Japanese show, I think it is fully likely that he knew Japanese. If he has such ties to Japanese investors as it implies, he probably learned the language. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember it implying that this was his first trip to Japan, anyway. And maybe Bill Gates does know Japanese....
reverie- said:
Black_Jack said:
I'm hoping that they give as much time to the "Japan distrusts Stark" plotline as they do to the Zodiac Warriors and the Dio suit, as I find that much more interesting.

I agree with you on your other points, but not this one so much. There were already undertones of "yay Japan and America working together!" and I think that developing that plotline would inevitably lead to a rather wanky conclusion where everyone gets over their mistrust, they realise that they have to work together to defeat the enemies, then they all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

That's a good point. I was assuming that they wouldn't make it cheesy, but yeah. :P
Oct 7, 2010 12:27 PM

Sep 2008
Black_Jack said:
Gallowglass said:
Black_Jack said:
Gallowglass said:

Other than the obvious reason that it's a Japanese show, I think it is fully likely that he knew Japanese. If he has such ties to Japanese investors as it implies, he probably learned the language. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember it implying that this was his first trip to Japan, anyway. And maybe Bill Gates does know Japanese....

He does bring up a good point in that Tony Stark is a genius in engineering but has never been an academic and lacks knowledge in other areas. That being said it still doesn't change the fact that this isn't his first visit and he's probably learned it in order to do better with his japanese investors. Plus in the end he had to speak it for the anime to be made (unless they had set it in the U.S. which has been a point of complaint for some, but let's get real. This wasn't unexpected.)
The one question raised is why apparently when he was being taught the language for business purposes they never saw fit teach him any of japanese culture. Seems like he's be familiar with the basics upon his entrance at least if not the advanced stuff.
Oct 7, 2010 7:19 PM

Aug 2010
A)

I'm not trowing hate, just saying that at the end of the show I felt as if the "japanization" of the show really kill it for me. {Overall, not just one thing} {No, I'm not a fanboy of Ironman}
If you like it, good for you. I'll leave it at that.

B)

I would like to know whats the deal with this animation style where women look like a crossdressing male? {"Newspaper Girl"}. My question is generic, not just about this show. I have seen this female animation before, but can't remember where.

Also, the other day I was "trying" to read some manga {Korean made I think} and I just couldn't stand the drawing style. The females in the damn thing looked like men. Yes I knew just by seen the cover that I didn't like the art, but I try to read it anyways. After that I had seen some other covers just like it and I won't dare touch those.

Feel free to send me a PM regarding the Animation question, I would really like to know whats the deal with that. Thanks.
Oct 8, 2010 1:41 AM

Jan 2010
the first episode was OK.
Oct 8, 2010 3:37 AM

May 2010
It wasn't as good as i hoped to be , but maybe it's only the first episode!
I'll give it a try ^^ , & Hope the upcoming episodes would be better if not i think i'd dropp it :S ..
Oct 8, 2010 4:56 AM

Apr 2009
good episode =)
liked it
Oct 8, 2010 8:25 AM

Oct 2008
An alright beginning to the series.
Oct 8, 2010 12:41 PM

Mar 2009
at Iron Man goes to Japan , the palm of my half was reaching for my face almost by it's own. However by the end of the show, the face and palm had not made direct contact.

Oct 9, 2010 12:49 AM

Jun 2008
not a fan of the cg :/
Oct 10, 2010 12:51 AM

May 2008
This show is actually quite interesting haha, thought i dun noe much about ironman though

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Oct 10, 2010 3:12 PM

Mar 2009
Nice start!

From what I've seen so far, they've captured Tony Stark's character well.

The suits look amazing, and the bg's and cg was fantastic.
It's nice to actually see some good cg in anime for a change.

The insert music is awesome, I hope they keep that up for the whole series.

Tony's character design is pretty acurate with a nice Japanese touch to it.

I was hoping that Tony and all the Americans would actually speak English sometimes, and not Engrish.

But, it looks like they've just made everybody sound Japanese, which is cool imo, I was just hoping for some actual English.

Watch out Tony, those Japanese women are a lot more modest than American women.

LOL, he got bitchslapped int he first ep...I'm just glad they didn't give him a nosebleed!!

Nanami seems like she'll be a nice character addition.

The Battles were amazing, I'm really glad they took the time to perfect this.

The animation is gorgeous, especially during the action scenes, I hope they budget stays for the whole show.

When I saw the PV the other suit looked gray, and I thought it was War Machine.
That would have been nice, but the Dio is BA as well, I hope they utilize it a lot in this show.

Being a reader of the American comics, I think they're doing a fantastic job.

And, it's really cool, b/c this coincides perfectly with the comics.
Right now in the comics he is just now starting to work towards free energy with his RT(repulsor tech), instead of making arms.

For the first of the 4, this looks like it will be an amazing anime, will definitely be watching this in full!!

Urahara Out!!
Oct 11, 2010 12:29 AM

Sep 2009
MrHatandClogs said:
Nanami seems like she'll be a nice character addition.

Not unless she gets some serious development.

MrHatandClogs said:
When I saw the PV the other suit looked gray, and I thought it was War Machine.
That would have been nice, but the Dio is BA as well, I hope they utilize it a lot in this show.

It seems that Dio will at least be an important MacGuffin.

And there's still time for Rhodey to show up. :D
Oct 11, 2010 2:28 AM

May 2007
This show is shit.

Oct 13, 2010 6:56 PM

Feb 2010
Japanese Tony Stark? ("Toh-ne Sta-ku") ::shudders::....

Animation is kinda ...off... and this doesn't feel like Iron Man...

But it was entertaining at parts.... 3/5
Oct 14, 2010 2:17 PM

Feb 2009
That was...ok,i guess :/ But it's still worse than the original Iron Man(andi'm not a fan).

MusashiRose said:
this doesn't feel like Iron Man...

Yup,it doesnt.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Oct 15, 2010 9:19 AM

Jul 2008
Is there anywhere I can get this anime without relying on torrents or sites like Rapidshare? Perhaps an IRC channel? I can't even find a fansub group with a website to check out.
Oct 22, 2010 6:09 AM

Sep 2007
An interesting setup for the series. Dio, Zodiac, the arc stations, Tony's retirement. I smell a conspiracy. Furthermore, Tony definitely acts like Tony. Looking forward t watching this joint.
Oct 22, 2010 1:27 PM

Aug 2009
Fancy, but I couldn't even get through the first episode. Then again, I never did like Iron Man.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Oct 30, 2010 12:42 PM
Feb 2010
Ozzy Osbourne (Tony Stark) vs. Ronnie James Dio (Other Iron Man). o.O Hahahah j/kj

Decent first episode.
Nov 1, 2010 12:09 AM

Dec 2008
The animation style is a bit retro, it reminds me of the 90 era. Overall I found it a bit slow paced, but when the action came along it got better. It's a bit weird to see Tony Stark speak Japanese, but I'll get used to it. xD
Nov 5, 2010 4:38 AM

Jan 2010
The CG were annoying and Tony Stark had a weird personality -- kind of boring.

It was as bad as I expected it to be.
Nov 9, 2010 1:44 PM

Nov 2010
Ok First of All I found it to be very entertaining. And It's a good Start into the Series. The Thing about Stark Speaking Japanese so flewless is something that shouldn't have happend. I mean they could have let him Speak English to himself or to Pepper that woul be much more better than this.

The Animations were good at times. Mostly in the Fightscenes. I can't say much about the Story after the First Episode but it doesn't look very new and Innovative. (Prototype Stolen, Mecha Attack: Thats something you have in every Second Mecha Manga)

Hope that it gets better when the Serie Proceeds.
Nov 16, 2010 2:58 PM
Jun 2008
Reading through the comments, about half of the negative ones it seems voice negative opinions based soley off the movie.
  • I mean, there were comments on what Robert Downey Jr. would think of this. Hello... he is not the creator of Iron Man, he only played him in the adaptation of the movie. Stan Lee is the creator.
  • There were also comments about how do we know it isn't based off the movie, and is instead based off the comics without them saying so. Let me think. Stan Lee was supposidly helping with the project.
  • There were also comments that things were taken from the movies. Like the designs for the Iron Man. All the movie did was add more detail to the original Iron Man design. The fact that he has a circle in his chest, rather then a triangle should say something.

Here is what I saw.
  • I loved the first episode. It had a good plot, reminded me of the old Iron Man cartoon I used to watch as a child. Reminded me of the stories I had told to me about the comics.
  • There is complaints about big noses, but compared to the Japanese, I think... most of us Americans do have big noses. It isn't meant as an insult.
  • I loved the detail in the animation. I loved the fights. I don't get the complaint about mechas, because I remembered a lot of robots in the cartoon storyline.
  • I hate the voice actors work. It isn't the voice mind you, it deals with the fact that I was expecting something different. I expected some broken Japanese in there. But then, someone kindly reminded me. Tony Stark is a genius. And no, not a genius on the level off Bill Gates. Child Genius.
  • He was IC for what I remember of the comics and cartoon.

So, I say, it is a good job. I am more likely to listen to the complaints of someone who is comparing it to the comic, maybe even the original cartoon/animation, rather then those comparing it to the movies. Though, I admit, the trailor made me think it was a continuation of the movies, which it is not.
Dec 28, 2010 3:45 AM

Oct 2009
Well that was...weird o_o
I don't really like Tony's voice...and its just weird to see Iron Man talking in Japanese XD
The pacing was pretty weird as well, the animation was rather good but i don't like the character designs at all, same with the Iron Man suit, it looked bad at places, especially "Dio"
And Tony retiring and giving it to some soldiers? Really?
Can't say i like the BGM much either...

It just didn't feel like Iron Man to me :(
Jul 23, 2011 12:40 PM

Aug 2010
I liked it. Yeah, nothing great, but it is only the first episode. I must say that I didn't care for the female reporter at all. The action scenes were fun to watch, and I actually didn't know that the Zodiac were in this. I'll keep watching.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Aug 2, 2012 3:20 AM

Jul 2008
this was about average, so starting with a 5/10
Oct 28, 2012 4:12 PM

Dec 2007
I think it's an interesting start for the anime. The suit getting stolen will probably end up in a huge battle at the end of the series. It sound way too obvious. I've never heard of Zodiac, but I'm also not an avid reader of the iron man comics. i've only seen the cartoons as a kid.
Jul 12, 2013 1:59 PM

Jan 2008
They did good on the art for this anime liking the way the suit looks in it better then what i was thinking it was going to but so far they made Tony Stark just like he has always been

all in all it was a decent serious premier if u ask me.
Jan 7, 2014 12:08 AM

Jun 2009
Oh man... all those lines are NOT necessary.
Ugh, I can't get over Tony's rape face.

I do like the blue Iron Man.

That's all I can say for now.
Sep 22, 2014 12:26 PM
May 2013
I've seen better animation , at least Tony looks cool .
Aozure said:
And Tony retiring and giving it to some soldiers? Really?

It just didn't feel like Iron Man to me :(
Feb 16, 2016 7:41 AM

May 2012
A pretty decent start I must say, I really like where this is going! Let's see what's next!
Nov 13, 2019 12:35 AM
May 2019
I really wasn’t expecting there to be an ‘Iron Man’ anime... Oh well, it’s average so far.
Aug 5, 2023 8:18 PM
Jan 2017
It's fine for a start; to be honest I'm not sure about Tony Stark's story compared to this. I'm not sure if this ever happened in the comics or anything, but it's okay for now.

I am not a huge fan of the music, I felt the same when I watched Wolverine a long time ago, but I felt like finishing the rest. It's also got a lot of CG, but I guess that makes sense for Mech stuff like this. The fighting seems okay for now, but nothing too amazing so far...
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Iron Man Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kanade-chan - Oct 8, 2010

76 by Redhairedmonkey »»
Oct 12, 2023 11:04 AM

Poll: » Iron Man Episode 12 Discussion

A2ZOMG - Dec 26, 2010

44 by littlefrank103 »»
Oct 7, 2023 8:31 PM

Poll: » Iron Man Episode 11 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Dec 13, 2010

22 by littlefrank103 »»
Oct 7, 2023 7:25 PM

Poll: » Iron Man Episode 10 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Dec 4, 2010

18 by littlefrank103 »»
Oct 7, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Iron Man Episode 9 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Nov 26, 2010

29 by littlefrank103 »»
Oct 7, 2023 5:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.