3It was OK
4.4%
2Disliked it
2.2%
1Hated it
2.6%
Average 4.5
229 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 26, 2008 6:26 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Paul von Oberstein's VA sounded far too familiar so I had to look it up. Turns out it's the same person that also voiced Dusanyu from Crest/Banner of the Stars. Dusanyu knew how to play it smart and it looks like Paul does also. He was the only level headed person of significance on the Empire's side in that whole encounter. The rest of the leadership and imperial crew were idiots. I'm glad he was able to get away and not have to die in vain with Hans. He has the potential to be a capable leader so I'll be looking closely to see if he'll play a significant role later.

So far battles have been lopsided due to idiots on both sides. I want to see some more evenly matched opponents. Then things will really get interesting.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 5, 2008 5:03 PM

Mar 2008
heh, my thoughts exactly

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Jun 9, 2008 2:26 AM

Apr 2008
Okay Fredrica Greenhill speaks at the 2 minute mark and is introduced 16 fucking minutes later! These names are seriously starting to bug me now. "Yang the Magician" LOL.I hope this is the last we see of "Stubborn old fat veteran gets showed up by younger more fit dude. I'm also glad he survived. I'm assuming they are just going to let the civilians go, in the fortress? Entertaining though. 4/5

So is the next battle going to be Reinhard vs. incompetets, or what? I'm guessing they are doing this so YangxReinhard stuff is more badass.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jun 9, 2008 2:54 AM

Apr 2007
Don't sweat the names too much. Anyone critical to the story will be introduced enough times where you won't have to worry about them.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 10, 2008 9:20 AM

Apr 2008
Yeah you're right. I was over-reacting.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Aug 7, 2008 3:38 PM

Sep 2007
Well, if there's one thing we've learned from this series, it's never put an old guy in charge. Making an experienced, battle-hardened veteran the leader of your fleet nearly ensures its destruction.

Also, the crazier a plan sounds, the more likely it is to succeed. And a smaller force always triumphs over a larger one, usually without taking any casualties.

LoveWifeLunch said:
So is the next battle going to be Reinhard vs. incompetets, or what? I'm guessing they are doing this so YangxReinhard stuff is more badass.

Probably. Even though the end of this episode claims that the balance has now been upset, I'm convinced that the stalemate will be even worse with Yang and Reinhard leading opposing fleets.
Oct 26, 2008 3:51 PM
Jun 2008
I'm just at the beginning, but I'm expecting much from this anime, VERY much.

Talking about the episode, what shocked me is how simple the plan was in the end: take out the enemy fleet, infiltrate and take over the enemy fortress with a bunch of dudes, let the rest of your fleet inside and it's over.

Both the battles are about good tacticians coming out with quite regular tactics, and the enemy falling for them like complete idiots.
Oct 26, 2008 5:09 PM

Feb 2005
Oberstein is definitely one of the purest Machiavelliansts I've seen in any story. Have to love the cold bastard XD
Oct 28, 2008 11:59 AM
Oct 2008
There's a lot that bothers me in this episode.

1. Yang trusting Rosenritters, just because he saw Schenkopp defending some girl. Excuse, but how does that prove his trustworthiness? Why couldn't he be both gallant and loyal to the Reich? What about his men? If they already had defectors, is there any guarantee that can't happen again? Besides, the Empire's intelligence service can easily infiltrate them. So, the question of trust is valid and it was very careless of Yang to ignore it. Personally, I wouldn't allow these guys to even get close to the front lines, let alone play a crucial part in the super secret operation. And why doesn't Alliance have special forces other than former Imperials? Something akin to SEALs?

2. Why does the fortress have 2 commanders that are always fighting each other? What's the point of it? Shouldn't the fleet commander report to the fortress commander? Alliance is trying to capture Iserlohn all the time, couldn't they set up a more sensible arrangement and find more competent officers?

3. Why is security so lax at Iserlohn? This is not some God forsaken outpost in the peacetime, this is the key fortress in the war zone, and the war has been going on for years.And they do know about the Rosenritters. Heck, my building security is more tight than on Iserlohn. And how much time should it really take to check someone's identity in the high-tech age?

4. Related to security: why is there only 50 guards on this fortress? Even Death Star had hundreds of troopers however clumsy they were.

5. The imperial officers should have tried to shoot back even after the admiral was taken hostage. Yes, he might have killed him - but even in the Empire, the losing the key fortress is a lot worse than any admiral. Especially since dying in the line of duty is the honor for the officers and the nobles.

6. There were more imperial officers in the main control room than Rosenritters, why didn't they try to shoot back?

7. The Iserlohn fleet commander - well, that's a whole new level of idiocy. First, he goes away with his whole fleet and gets lost while the fortress is being infiltrated. Then, when Yang claims they've taken the fortress he doesn't do anything despite Oberstein's advice. What, do you want me to get killed by that scary laser? Ok, we assume he's a coward and can't be bothered to look up this situation in the regulations. But why, then, when the fortress is clearly in the enemy's hands, he finally decides to attack? Again, despite what Oberstein's said. So, suddenly, he's no longer a coward. Reich officers are not cowards. Reich officers are happy to commit suicide for the glory of the Reich. So, why wasn't he afraid before? Why didn't he remember of the officers' duty before? What's up with this sudden personality change? This is a very sloppy writing on the part of either Tanaka or whoever wrote the screenplay. Basically, this is just the plot device to show how smart Oberstein is. Actually, he only says obvious things but compared to everyone else he, of course, seems extremely cunning.

Overall, aside from cool melee scenes, this episode was too unbelievable even for a space opera.
Jan 9, 2009 6:37 AM

Jan 2008
Nata-chan, your points are all completely valid and I found myself thinking how silly the episode was...and yet the show still remains enjoyable for its epic scope full of characters with ever-increasing depth, however much they're sorrounded by caricatures.

Regarding your first point though, we could also take Yang's faith from another point of view, in that he's not basing his faith on the guy's defense of a woman, but that its Yang's subversive attempt at winning people over by showing them respect that no one else would. Plus, Yang is tasked with tackling an operation that millions of soldiers couldnt win, yet he has to do it with much less and so he knows the only alternative is infiltration and not all out war, he has to involve the rosen-ritters whether its stupid or not, because the Alliance cant get within miles of the fortress. He's already on a suicide mission, so there's no point in leaving out exiles of the Empire, might as well give them a shot.

It was all handled sloppily, but the general jist of the episode's plan is sound. In my opinion anyway. But yeah, it went too easily with the commander acting like an oaf leaving the fortress manned by less people than it takes to run a McDonalds or something, but the writer did at least try to put obstacles in the way like the dude who set off the emergency alarm thing.

Also that was some hardcore axe fighting. Felt like a classic Hollywood 80's action flick. I loved the moment where the rosen-ritter guy is just waiting behind a pillar with his axe hanging out waiting for an unsuspecting baddie.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 6, 2009 10:47 PM

Dec 2008
Cihan said:
Also that was some hardcore axe fighting. Felt like a classic Hollywood 80's action flick. I loved the moment where the rosen-ritter guy is just waiting behind a pillar with his axe hanging out waiting for an unsuspecting baddie.

That was totally Total Recall, sans hologram projector.
May 30, 2009 10:58 AM

Mar 2008
Nata-chan said:
There's a lot that bothers me in this episode. [...]

1- I share Beatnik's opinion here.
2- For an important fortress, "two heads are better than one". For those two to reach those positions, they should have some prior military achievements. Then, if they are on the same level, it doesn't make sense for one to have to answer to the other.
3- Because they believe the fortress is impregnable. It would be a (supposed) waste of men.
4- Again, the fortress is supposedly impregnable. You just need a few guards to avoid foolish internal disputes.
5- Superiors' orders are absolute! Disobeying orders is a severe crime, possibly punished with execution. As proof, the blond man was going to shoot; he only stopped and dropped his gun because it was an order.
6- Their superior had been killed. In addition to that, the RosenRitter are feared for their superior attributes. No one likes to enter a losing battle.
7- At first, rushing in, according to him, would be a stupid sacrifice as he would effortlessly be killed by the cannon, since he believed the fortress had already been taken, despite his adviser's words. When the enemy fleet started taking refuge in the fortress, he saw an opportunity to annihilate the fleet while it was retreating before it could enter the fortress. Then, Yang basically stepped on his pride by asking him to run away. He went berserk and flew to his death.

Overall, it was a nice episode, although nothing special. But I really want to pit (equally - i.e., both of them commanding) Yang and Reinhard... that should be interesting. ^_^
Jul 25, 2009 10:47 AM

Dec 2008
On contrary to some opinions, I wasn't bothered by this episode at all.

Thor Hammer sure is powerful, I'm glad Yang's fleet didn't enjoy using it.

Not surprised that Paul von Oberstein survived, it would've been pointless if he died so early, since he's a mysterious character who looks like can play an important part later in the OVA.
Jul 27, 2009 1:49 AM

Jun 2009
Paul Von Oberstein is a very interesting character, i'm glad the commander was an idiot and told him to leave the ship.

As for Yang giving the Rosen-Ritter a chance, I agree with Beatnik. Just because the ones before turned traitor doesn't mean these guys will. And, by the end of the episode, it's obvious there's a ton of respect for Yang there.

It was a gamble, and Yang knew it, but it payed off.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 27, 2009 6:06 AM

Feb 2005
Well, about the lack of security on Iserlohn, I'd attribute that to pure hubris. After having the FPA throwing themselves against the fortress so many times without any result, they must have regarded themselves untouchable within the fortress, it coincides perfectly with the general decay and incompetence of the Imperial command structure. The fact that the Empire don't even officially acknowledge the FPA and just treat them as some border rebels they can go duke out with to score honour points doesn't help them taking the threat seriously.
Aug 3, 2009 11:58 PM

Jan 2009
Interesting episode. It was interesting to see Yang's reaction upon firing the Thor Hammer. I would be clutching at my chest too had I known that what I did was not fight the enemy, but essentially wipeout hundreds upon thousands of lives in one sweep.

What really surprised me was the presence of a bar/red light district/city at Iserlohn. I figured since it was a fortress, the whole place should be as such. However, I totally didn't rule out the possibility of having civillians living there considering its long-standing impregnability.
Sep 11, 2009 12:47 AM

Jan 2009
"Better die in the midst of battle rather than living in dishonour". Excuse me but I can't think of anyone who would think about this analogy in the middle of the battle. Nevertheless that commander in Iserlohn was extremely pathetic and non-trustworthy in his own man. A bit of non-belieavable scenes in this episode.

But Yang keeps stealing the show, I just love him.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 12, 2009 7:23 AM

Feb 2005
Mikiyo said:
"Better die in the midst of battle rather than living in dishonour". Excuse me but I can't think of anyone who would think about this analogy in the middle of the battle.
Not in our societies today maybe.
But countless people throughout history have done things like this in times of war.
Sep 23, 2009 12:27 PM

Jan 2008
I liked the episode, though it seemed far too easy for Yang to capture Iserlohn.

I don't like though how (so far at least) the older officers are generally depicted as stupid or incompetent.
I mean even if they are simply some noblemen who got their position through relations to the Kaiser or money they wouldn't survive their battles through luck alone in an ongoing war and especially wouldn't be assigned to something like Iserlohn if they didn't have a certain intelligence or knowledge of battle strategics.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Sep 23, 2009 12:29 PM

Jan 2008
lr3t2 said:
I mean even if they are simply some noblemen who got their position through relations to the Kaiser or money they wouldn't survive their battles through luck alone in an ongoing war and especially wouldn't be assigned to something like Iserlohn if they didn't have a certain intelligence or knowledge of battle strategics.

You're underestimating the powers of nepotism and butt-licking.

Plus: Bush Jr.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 23, 2009 12:39 PM

Feb 2005
Besides, the brass, as incompetent they may be, seems to think of Iserlohn as impregnable, and with good reason, seeing the FPA's rather moronic past attempts to capture it, so they likely wouldn't be too worried even if they sent fools to hold it.
Nov 5, 2009 12:04 AM

Oct 2009
This episode was great, the best one so far. The brilliant, good-hearted young commander vs crotchety old guy who doesn't listen to his intelligent strategist scenario reminds me of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

I thought the stupidity of the commanders of Iserlohn Fortress and the substandard security was pretty believable, considering that the Alliance got totally pwned by them 7 times in a row. If they're so convinced of their invincibility (and they've got a pretty good reason) it makes sense for them to become smug and lazy.

Oh yeah and the Rosen Ritter kicking ass in hand to hand was just sweet. Who needs hi-tech lazers and blasters n stuff when you've got hand axes?
Nov 22, 2009 6:01 AM

May 2009
Old, incompetent men as admirals making stupid decisions annoy me..
It seemed very easy capturing Iserlohn, but with those commanders in the fortress it's to be expected.
Dec 18, 2009 2:05 PM

Apr 2009
the ep was good, tho it wasnt exciting, it was predictable that that old fart will refuse the advices of Oberstein XD

damn Oberstein's design is kinda annoying xD he seems like a strong 'opponent' also..
i didnt liked him from the start >_>
Dec 18, 2009 7:14 PM

Dec 2009
Good episode, even with the points pointed beforehand.

The major high points were Oberstein(same VA as Rei) and Schenkopp and the rest of the Rosen Ritter. Those guys are BADASS.
Jul 17, 2010 8:54 AM
Jun 2010
Thanks to the what-its-name particule, we get to see the lol bloody axe battles

The inflitration was a bit weak and too easy in my opinion, the empire commander was a stubborn morron but I kinda understand him. It must be embarrassing to get infiltrated and get owned by his own impenetrable deadly fortress of d00m that can wipe 1000 spaceship in one blast.

Aug 9, 2010 10:29 PM

May 2010
I share the same complaints as the rest of the commenters. I think that the "supposedly brilliant tactician uses very basic tactics and incompetent veterans fall for it like fools" theme is wearing a bit thin. From what I've heard, this anime gets good sometime after episode 20, so I bet we will have a lot of this nonsense for a while to come. I still like it at the current point for some reason though, maybe it's just that the art feels nostalgic, or that the characters occasionally say pretty poetic things? I'm sticking with it, if for no other reason than I've stuck with lots worse without even the promise of being rewarded.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 15, 2010 4:38 PM

Jan 2010
this was actually an entertaining episode!
not the best so far,but it was pretty good :-)

but there are soooo many names,will i ever learn them,and they're long and hard to learn,damn...

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 16, 2011 8:56 AM

Dec 2010
The look on everyone's face in the control room when the hammer was fired...just turned the whole thing around for me. What would have been a celebratiorary event in any other anime is turned into something quite sombre here. The maturity level on show here is extraordinary.
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Mar 2, 2011 11:18 PM
Jul 2010
Rosen Ritter kicked ass, but the enemy was still horrifically stupid and Yang still got too much praise for a simple plan that barely involved his own efforts. Hoping they can raise the bar with Oberstein, since he can notice the obvious.
Jun 29, 2011 5:51 PM

Aug 2009
Very jarring differences between scenes with the old and updated animation. Loads more blood too.. Like silly amount..

Great episode though, plot holes or not.
Jul 9, 2011 6:08 AM

Aug 2010
Many valid points in this thread.

I, for one, think it was a bit unbelievable for them to capture the fortress. The Empire sure has some stuck up commanders.
Jul 14, 2011 12:33 AM

Sep 2008
It might seem unbelievable, but infiltration under disguise was quite common in the world wars. A recent terrorist attack on a military base in my country was carried out in much the same way; bunch of people came in with the right clothes on and basically just wreaked mayhem inside the facility. Unbelievable, but perfectly realistic.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 29, 2011 7:13 PM
Jun 2011
The Rosen Ritters were pretty handy with those axes! I might side more with those that see the capture as unbelievable, but I can also see some of the opposing points as well. I'm a little confused as to why the only way to the Empire's world is through the Iserlohn Corridor...it seems that there would be other ways...hopefully that's described in more detail later. That also means that the surviving ships of Iserlohn have nowhere to go now. They were allowed to live, but they can't go home.
Aug 6, 2011 5:42 AM

Mar 2009
I have to agree with some of the people here.

Yang Wenli in this episode and others in previous ones, fought against extremely simple minded opponents. They used oversimplistic, elementary tactics such as breaking formation and creating diversion to achieve victory. The reason their opponents fell for it, is because they were fools, totally lacking in any common sense.

I can't share the sentiment of the fans of these series to call them geniuses, when I see them being compared to such hopeless idiots.

However, it's the 7th of 110 episodes, so I really hope I'm speaking early and be proven wrong in the long run. But first impression is just as important and so far, it has failed to show me what I expected to see.

So, what I wanna say is that I hope this shallow strategic depth won't become a trend in this anime, and that there will be serious challenges in the following episodes that I will feel uncertain of the outcome and surprised when it happens.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 6, 2011 7:32 AM

Jan 2008
Well don't expect a tactical dissertation in an anime, but yeah the show's battles do get more complex later.

The reason some opponents are portrayed the way they are is to highlight the corruption of the society they fight for, the nepotism, the brown-nosing, the lethargic manner in which everyone conducts themselves is indicative of the fatalistic attitude running throughout the military, basically barely anyone knows what the hell they're doing. Most of the people in powerful positions aren't there because they deserve to be. People like Yang Wenli are rare so when they enter battle they wipe the floor of enemies.

Most of this is literally voiced by the comic relief characters who fly the fighter jets for the Alliance.
Aug 6, 2011 8:09 AM

Mar 2009
Beatnik said:
Well don't expect a tactical dissertation in an anime, but yeah the show's battles do get more complex later.

The reason some opponents are portrayed the way they are is to highlight the corruption of the society they fight for, the nepotism, the brown-nosing, the lethargic manner in which everyone conducts themselves is indicative of the fatalistic attitude running throughout the military, basically barely anyone knows what the hell they're doing. Most of the people in powerful positions aren't there because they deserve to be. People like Yang Wenli are rare so when they enter battle they wipe the floor of enemies.

Most of this is literally voiced by the comic relief characters who fly the fighter jets for the Alliance.

Sure, incompetent leaders born of a corrupt society, proving their uselessness in every turn of the way is not a far stretch of the plot. However, it's taken to such an extreme that's beyond my understanding.

Take this episode for example. We're talking about a long lasting war, right? I don't remember if it's been said for how long did it last till that episode but there should have been enough battles by now to wipe out those who can't take a simple sensical decision to save their lives, let alone come up with a successful plan that would grant them victories.

Yet the Iserlohn Fortress withstood six attacks of enemy fleets in "full strength" (as they've been compared to Wenli's Fleet being only at half strength), under the command of two completely incompetent idiots. And I can't help but wonder, just how idiotic were the previous attackers who failed to capture it? I mean who would lose to them, really? Trying to describe such a battle would surely be comedic.

But anyway, I don't mean to bash this anime, well, besides this certain aspect. Cause other than that, it really lives up to the hype. It's not just about tactical space battles after all, and that's not the only reason I'm watching it for.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 7, 2011 10:36 AM
Jun 2011
I believe at that point it had been fought for 150 years. The only argument I could think for your statement would be that there was no Reinhard either. So possibly the battles that had been waged up until then were just straight up battles a lot like wars were fought years ago and then the battlefield changed. It seems like a stretch and I completely get your point, but that's all I was thinking. It does seem that after 150 years there were be more "geniuses" on the battlefield. It doesn't really hurt the shoe for me though.
Aug 12, 2011 10:29 PM
Jul 2010
If only the Empire were a little less corrupt, Iserlon's competent second in command might have moved up that one rank he was probably denied because of lesser status. He would have had those guards easily mow down the Rosen Ritter. He probably also would've had solid enough communication to not let unidentified persons into the control room, based on unverified claims.

As it is, Iserlon fails so hard. Their stupid fleet captain should have listened to Oberstein's rather smart analysis, or at least read Romance of the Three Kingdoms. At least then he'd know that the only enemy who warns you of an ambush, is an enemy who can't perform one.

Yang is just so fucking awesome. Blows up half a fleet, advises retreat. No? "Soldiers honor?" Kill the absurd commander, and watch the rest scatter.
I bet if Iserlon's guards shot their cowardly commander against his will, the Fortress would have remained in Imperial hands.
Aug 13, 2011 3:59 PM

Sep 2008
kodial said:

Sure, incompetent leaders born of a corrupt society, proving their uselessness in every turn of the way is not a far stretch of the plot. However, it's taken to such an extreme that's beyond my understanding.

all you need to do to understand that is read history. Hell just read some newspapers. Political and military leaders by and large are extremely incompetent, especially in third world countries. you will not believe some of the mistakes leaders in my country have made, I'm not even in the mood to discuss it (my country's history is fucking depressing man!). I think in that the show reflects reality, although through the mirror of fiction of-course.

Take this episode for example. We're talking about a long lasting war, right? I don't remember if it's been said for how long did it last till that episode but there should have been enough battles by now to wipe out those who can't take a simple sensical decision to save their lives, let alone come up with a successful plan that would grant them victories.

more than a century of war, from what I recall. The war in lotgh is being fought across a whole galaxy, with casualties of millions in just one battle. If it was just a war between two countries, your point would've been valid (even then, there's the hundred years war fought between France and Britain, and the modern example of sudanese civil war which still being waged after 60 years), but here, we're talking about dozens of planets with their billions of soldiers on each side.

Another thing is lotgh has its flaws, and how bad these flaws are depends on the viewer and his/her perspective. Dr Yoshiki Tanaka (writer of the novels) is a history enthusiast and has written on the subject I believe, but he is no military tactician. Like, people point out that battles in space should be 3 dimensional, not 2d on land, that too WWI style. Or how some of the tactics sound too simplistic or convenient. But I think these criticisms ignore the context and theme of lotgh, and the writers intentions/perspective.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 14, 2011 4:42 AM

Jan 2008
koreye said:
Dr Yoshiki Tanaka (writer of the novels) is a history enthusiast and has written on the subject I believe, but he is no military tactician. Like, people point out that battles in space should be 3 dimensional, not 2d on land, that too WWI style.

I was thinking about that, and how military leaders of the future would probably want to keep battles in 2d style in space, because otherwise you end up with Star Wars type mayhem completely lacking in tactical finesse. The human brain probably would have a hard time organising fleets in random angles, you would end up losing more ships than if you fought in 2d style, and military leaders are usually crusty old men with no imagination, thus future battles would look like historical fleets on the same horizontal plane.

That's my defence of the author!
Aug 14, 2011 7:06 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
koreye said:
Dr Yoshiki Tanaka (writer of the novels) is a history enthusiast and has written on the subject I believe, but he is no military tactician. Like, people point out that battles in space should be 3 dimensional, not 2d on land, that too WWI style.

I was thinking about that, and how military leaders of the future would probably want to keep battles in 2d style in space, because otherwise you end up with Star Wars type mayhem completely lacking in tactical finesse. The human brain probably would have a hard time organising fleets in random angles, you would end up losing more ships than if you fought in 2d style, and military leaders are usually crusty old men with no imagination, thus future battles would look like historical fleets on the same horizontal plane.

That's my defence of the author!

lol, you know that makes a lot of sense actually. I just don't get how battles can be done in 3d in a novel or an anime like that, I mean, those space battles in Star wars did not make any sense whatsoever to me. It was like PEW! PEW! BOOM! BOOM!
It makes a lot more sense for battles in lotgh to be 2d the way it is, and not just because of the 'historical' inspired context of the show. It just makes the battles a whole lot more interesting and understandable.
Aug 16, 2011 7:00 AM

Mar 2009
But they do have 3d battles! It's that chess they're playing...
Sep 19, 2011 9:06 PM

Nov 2010
Amazing Episode 4.5/5

I'm looking forward to Paul's intentions
Oct 26, 2011 7:22 AM

Apr 2011
The only complaint for me is that Thor's Hammer feels like a cheap weapon. Otherwise this is great.
Dec 3, 2011 1:38 AM

Sep 2009
Loved it.
Show keeps progressing itself in new and interesting ways.
The tactics were....bloody simple.
But it was enjoyable to watch.

The infiltration team was awesome. Axe fights ftw.
Apr 11, 2012 1:24 PM

Feb 2012
The sad irony of this episode: if Stockhausen and Seeckt had switched places, Yang's plan would've gone very differently. Stockhausen valued life before honor and surrendered to the Rosen Ritters with no resistance, while Seeckt valued honor before life and allowed the Thor Hammer to tear through his fleet twice. It's very clear why the two men were at odds with each other.

I love Schenkopp -- along with the rest of the Rosen Ritters -- and am glad to see he'll be returning later. And Oberstein...ever since his conversation with Siegfried I've been fascinated by him.
May 22, 2012 11:21 PM

Jun 2009
Hate to break it to people, but there really are military leaders this incompetent so I could relate to this in a way. Yang and Reinhard are special because they don't fight using outdated tactics and retarded traditional ideals of "honor". Having actually finished this series, I can also say that Yang totally deserves his many nicknames. That's about all I can say.

Oh, and i want to reply to this:

Luthimal said:
and Yang still got too much praise for a simple plan that barely involved his own efforts.

It's important to keep in mind that Truniht and the other politicians are actually playing Yang up as a hero. In other words, they are exaggerating his deeds and I'm quite sure he realizes this even himself. It's true that the Rosenritter did most of the work here.
Ston3_FreeN7May 23, 2012 3:05 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 12, 2012 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
I'm hoping that, now that Iserlohn belongs to the Alliance, we'll witness a colossal battle that will span the length of a couple episodes when and if the Empire tries to regain control of Iserlohn. I want to see both sides struggling.
Jun 26, 2012 1:08 PM

Mar 2010
i think this is the best episode so far
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.