Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2008 9:52 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We finally got to see the other 3 members of the 12. Although all they did was say one or two lines lol. The ending was decent. We got to see Wakana I'm guessing that was Masahiro's grandma?

Now to figure out if theirs a manga for this.
May 26, 2008 6:17 AM

Dec 2007
Really liked this episode - but it was sad....
May 26, 2008 7:13 AM

Aug 2007

DeathfireD said:
We finally got to see the other 3 members of the 12. Although all they did was say one or two lines lol. The ending was decent. We got to see Wakana I'm guessing that was Masahiro's grandma?

Now to figure out if theirs a manga for this.

Yup, Wakana is Masahiro's grandmother. To me the ending was kinda sad (in a good way), but then again it kinda felt open to me. By "open," I mean that there's the possibility for a sequel.

As far as I know, Shounen Onmyouji is available in print in the form of light novels.
May 26, 2008 1:03 PM

Jan 2007
that was a pretty good ending. I liked the way Masahiro handled Touda. and it was nice to end with Masahiro and Akiko viewing the fireflies. Overall gets a 7 from me.
May 26, 2008 3:23 PM

Nov 2004
The anime covered two of the arcs from the light novels. I wish we could see more. I wanna know how they continued the story with Guren never remembering Masahiro (maybe he might have one day in some major arc). It was sad in a way, I sort of saw it as bittersweet. I was a bit confused with some parts though. Touda's life was saved in exchange for Masahiro's right? Yet Masahiro ultimately decided to come back, yet Touda's life was still saved? Although the memories are gone. Where's the sacrifice then? Next to Touda's memories.

I was also wondering why the left Masahiro in some abandoned-like hut when he was injured instead of bringing him home. Unless they refuse to show his family and Akiko his unconscious self.
May 26, 2008 3:29 PM

May 2008
The ending was good in the fact that I cried, but I would've liked more development of the final two minutes or so. That was just so random for me, seeing the three of them watching the fireflies. I know Masahiro promised Akiko, but how was the relationship between him and Guren going at that time? Did they return to the same level they had before he lost his memories?

I was also confused with that whole scene with those two people commenting on how it was sad for Seimei to lose Masahiro. Was that during the time Masahiro asked his grandfather to erase everyone's memories of him?

Maybe I'll have to read the manga to get a better understanding of it.
May 26, 2008 9:34 PM

Jun 2007
WhisperedHope said:
I was also confused with that whole scene with those two people commenting on how it was sad for Seimei to lose Masahiro. Was that during the time Masahiro asked his grandfather to erase everyone's memories of him?

Maybe I'll have to read the manga to get a better understanding of it.

That was in present time. Seimei was out of his body and in its spirit form with Masahiro's body. The two people (ie. Seimei's other two helpers) where there to watch over his body wile he wasn't present. And ya, I think they where commenting on how its sad that Seimei will have to erase everyone's memory's of Masahiro.

@Crystal - I think the sacrifice was him giving his life. He would have died if it wasn't for his Grandmother stopping him. So I think if it was anyone else, they would have walked across the river and died. I think its a pretty fair trade though, he was willing to give his life and go to the edge of the other world.

It's to bad they only covered two arks. I wanna get the novels now XD
May 27, 2008 10:46 AM

Aug 2007
Very nice ending, kind of sad, but still very enjoyable! :) I'm curious about the novels now, I wish a couple of more arks could be turned into anime, that would be very cool!
Jun 6, 2008 4:29 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
There are two finished major arcs in the light novel after Kazane, the Tenko arc and the Kagami arc. The Tenko arc deals with Seimei's kitsune/tenko mother while the other is dealing with the legendary Yamata Serpent (9 headed serpent).

There is a new arc currently running as well (still unfinished though)

About the sacrifice, other than the life of Masahiro, the relationship between him and Touda is lost. Guren (his real name) 's memories of Masahiro is lost but he still remembers Kou and Seimei and everyone else. If Masahiro didn't do anything, he would have lost all his memories. At the end, since Masahiro came back to life, Seimei didn't need to erase the memories....and the sacrifice is still partially valid. So not everything returned to normal. Something has to be lost. That is why Mokkun does not remember Masahiro, but everyone else.
wakka9caJun 6, 2008 5:37 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 25, 2008 1:40 PM

Dec 2007
I get his sacrifice, but what I don't get is why at the last scene where Masahiro and Akiko are looking at the fireflies, why is Guren there? Guren doesn't remember Masahiro, so he wouldn't feel the urge to be with him 24/7 right? Or did that scene not really happen and it was just like Masahiro's dream that would never come true?

Jun 25, 2008 3:45 PM

Jun 2007
samuraibunny said:
I get his sacrifice, but what I don't get is why at the last scene where Masahiro and Akiko are looking at the fireflies, why is Guren there? Guren doesn't remember Masahiro, so he wouldn't feel the urge to be with him 24/7 right? Or did that scene not really happen and it was just like Masahiro's dream that would never come true?

It's one of those scenes that are open for interpretation. Guren could be there for any number of reasons. Maybe Masahiro's grandfather asked Guren to continue to watch over and protect Masahiro. Maybe Guren got his memory back. Maybe Guren just has this sudden attachment to Masahiro and wants to stay around him. Maybe Masahiro just asked Guren to go with them.
Jun 26, 2008 10:41 AM

Dec 2007
It's one of those scenes that are open for interpretation. Guren could be there for any number of reasons. Maybe Masahiro's grandfather asked Guren to continue to watch over and protect Masahiro. Maybe Guren got his memory back. Maybe Guren just has this sudden attachment to Masahiro and wants to stay around him. Maybe Masahiro just asked Guren to go with them.

Oh. Thanks. I was just wondering. :D

Jul 1, 2008 2:27 AM
Apr 2008
well this show is better than I expected
Didnt disappoint me at all
Mar 9, 2009 7:24 AM

Apr 2008
Well, I guess I liked the ending. It wasn't quite perfect but for a while there I was beginning to believe they were actually going to let Touda die and lose all his memories. I want to see how Mokkun and Masahiro rebuild their relationship. If you think about it, it would kinda be the reverse of how their relationship started. Guren knew Masahiro but Masahiro only had vague memories of Guren.
May 6, 2009 9:44 AM
Jul 2008
Still this anime reached and passed my expectatives, this ending is just so sad.. try to imagine that your best friend or your gf/bf suddenly losts all his/her memories of you T.T
Tho its so sad its a really good ending but I still get the felling somethings not right with this at all :S
Jun 8, 2009 7:27 PM
Jan 2009
The ending was sad alright, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a great anime. Even though i really wanted to know about all of the shikigami of seimei's. Guren was also a mystery at the end. I want to know more about it. I guess all the great works ends with a satisfiable yet questioning ending. hehe
Aug 24, 2009 2:06 AM

Mar 2008
I wasn't satisfied with the ending but generally the whole anime is a great thing not to mention how handsome Rikugou was but then I was kinda wondering what would happen to him if Kazane didn't die, I mean they looked like lovers from kazane's last scene.I'm glad masahiro didn't die, he's still so young and full of potentials to just cross over..

Indeed it would be a good thing if theres a second season, I should be hanging around and see if it's a hit enough to have another season..

Dec 21, 2009 9:10 PM
Mar 2009
to me the ending was really sad because of all the precious memory of him and mashiro spending their time together especially when mashiro was a kid
Jan 11, 2010 6:05 AM

Dec 2009
It was a great episode but it was sad. I actually cried during the ep and even after it ended.
I'm glad Masahiro didn't die and that Guren kept his memories, but it's still sad he forgot about Masahiro. I really wanted to know how their relationship was when they were watching the fireflies.
Mar 31, 2010 3:51 AM

Jan 2010
Very sad episode, I actually cried :'( But i am glad they r alive and though guren's memories are erased we see him with masahiro in the end, that has to mean something :)
"If it's your wish, I will follow you everywhere, Even if your throne crumbles, And your shiny crown turns to rust, Even if the bodies pile up endlessly, Above the bottomless pile corpses, Beside you as you lie softly down, I will be.....Until i hear the words "check Mate." ♥
Apr 14, 2010 4:02 PM

Feb 2008
This was.. beautiful. I cried whole episode. >.> I think I never cried so much.
When he said "Mokkun" at the end.. Well, let's say I had to change my shirt because it was wet.
Apr 20, 2010 2:44 PM

Oct 2009
Hated it, hated it , hated it .. I`m cried 2 hours.
This is so sad and unfair! >>"
May 4, 2010 9:12 AM
Oct 2009
This is so amazing. I cried and my chest hurt during the last six episode. I want more. Guren!!!!
Oct 6, 2010 6:42 PM

Aug 2009
Great anime series wished it was longer. 9/10
Nov 17, 2010 3:53 AM

Oct 2008
Sad ending.
My final rating for this anime is 7/10. It started out great, but then it got boring - minus the ending.
Aug 14, 2011 2:49 AM

Jul 2007
i really love this final episode, Masahiro was so cool during the fighting scene with Guren, I was afraid something will go wrong etc, but Masahiro's determination remain strong throughout the fighting scene and that was how i saw him..so cool.

sad but i'm satisfied with the ending :)
Jan 21, 2012 12:56 PM
May 2010
Crystal said:
The anime covered two of the arcs from the light novels. I wish we could see more. I wanna know how they continued the story with Guren never remembering Masahiro (maybe he might have one day in some major arc). It was sad in a way, I sort of saw it as bittersweet. I was a bit confused with some parts though. Touda's life was saved in exchange for Masahiro's right? Yet Masahiro ultimately decided to come back, yet Touda's life was still saved? Although the memories are gone. Where's the sacrifice then? Next to Touda's memories.

I was also wondering why the left Masahiro in some abandoned-like hut when he was injured instead of bringing him home. Unless they refuse to show his family and Akiko his unconscious self.

I believe that during that episode there was the bit where they said that Masahiro was being tested by the Gods and possibly he didn't really need to sacrifice his life? I'm not quite sure myself xD but I wanna follow that theory :P and also I think they left him there before he was injured and possibly his Grandfather wanted to leave both Masahiro and Mokkun/Guren by themselves for a while since Guren lost his memories and Masahiro nearly died and is at a loss (from Guren losing his memories but he didn't want to lose him fully). Well... the anime still leaves quite a "bittersweet" taste on me as someone quoted before. I just finished the last episode today xD Ah... I cried a lot :/ It's been quite a long time since I cried so much after the animes "Pandora Hearts" and "Code Geass" =) Hope this helped a bit... xD hehe
Mar 13, 2012 3:10 PM

Feb 2008
that ending was too weak. they didn't want to make it too tragic so they wrapped everything in a neat little box. he should have just died, or everyone should have forgotten him. the gods are really not that whimsical....even if they liked him.
Oct 8, 2013 12:38 PM
Mar 2012
Weeeeeell it's alreade 2013, but still I can write here, so why not? :F

I'm in love in Shounen Onmyouji and I'm cryin' always when I watchin ep. 21-26 D:
But the way, I'm writing here not without a reason.

The price that Masahiro paid was [NOVEL SPOILER :F]

And, well, sorry for my english D':
Mar 21, 2014 3:34 PM

Nov 2011
Feels like this show only explored the general concepts and its characters rather than its overall story. It does offer feelings for viewers to embrace on though in particular with its final episodes. Honestly though, I'm not sure if it made it too well even with that in the end.

6/10.
May 19, 2014 5:16 AM
May 2014
Stark700 said:
Feels like this show only explored the general concepts and its characters rather than its overall story. It does offer feelings for viewers to embrace on though in particular with its final episodes. Honestly though, I'm not sure if it made it too well even with that in the end.
6/10.

I have a feeling this is the case because it only covered 2 arcs out of an entire series. Maybe if it had more content to work on it would have been better. I also think if another season was set in place, maybe somethings would make more sense.

It was nice to watch, but I don't think I would watch it again UNLESS another season was set in place ( I doubt it, it's been so long since it ended ).
7/10
Jul 8, 2014 3:09 AM

Aug 2013
It was so sad when Mokkun flashbacks were shown as Masahiro charged Guren with the sword of justice >__<

Well for whatever reason he was with Masahiro in the end (be it an order from Seimei or a natural attachment to the kid), I'm just glad they're still together. I wonder why he was like "huh?" when Akiko leaned on Masahiro though. Did he remember something? dun dun dun...

7/10
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 18, 2014 6:41 PM

Jul 2014
That ending was too sad! Given that Masahiro was supposed to die but didn't, it was still sad! Although this episode was great, I kinda wish for an actual ending. The firefly scene was great and all but I wanted to see a scene with Masahiro and Guren (not too fan of Akiko's character, I especially can't see her as a love interest for Masahiro).

Besides feeling unsatisfied (I want more episodes!) I enjoyed watching this anime~

Time to look for the light novel. @_@
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jun 7, 2015 12:29 PM
Mar 2012
I cried so much. :(
When he lifted Mokkun - I just had to remember our late cat. A dead fluffy body is such a sad thing.

But I'm not sure I understood everything.
Masahiro wanted to exchange his life for Guren - who'd otherwise been reborn, but without his memories. But then he met his grandmother, who send him back. So Guren lost his memories after all. Right? Although he could remember some things.
I would have expected the "revived" Guren to look different, though.

The other servants of Seimei were interesting, like his wife. It kind of makes me want to see their part of the story. Prequel anyone?

raenydays said:
The firefly scene was great and all but I wanted to see a scene with Masahiro and Guren (not too fan of Akiko's character, I especially can't see her as a love interest for Masahiro).
I agree. Akiko is such a waste of animation, seriously.
Jul 7, 2015 9:58 PM

Jun 2015
The story started becoming boring around episode 10 and and them girls Kazane or Akiko are pretty annoying in my opinion. The ending was alright, it's sad tho since Guren lost all of his memories. It reminds me of a bl visual novel's ending I read, he died tho to save his beloved one but that person completely forgets his existence. ;_;
5/10
Oct 26, 2017 6:26 PM

Sep 2011
Tokusa said:

I'm in love in Shounen Onmyouji and I'm cryin' always when I watchin ep. 21-26 D:

Quoting you in 2017! Why not?

If we could have seen an episode showing that result... The ending would have been a hell of a lot better. If only they didn't waste so much time on Akiko. At least I have some kind of resolution with this knowledge. Thanks for sharing.
Dec 19, 2017 2:39 AM

Mar 2016
Ending was very good T_T
Dec 21, 2018 2:03 PM

Apr 2011
Tokusa said:

At least we know now why he as a omniyoji doesn't have spiritual sight. It was a trade-off.
Aug 28, 2021 3:44 AM

Feb 2014
So I was kinda confused at first, but I think I understand now(?)
- If Guren was killed before opening the gate to the underworld, he could be reincarnated, but he would lose his memories
- Masahiro killed Guren so that he could be reincarnated with amnesia, but then he exchanged his own life so Mokkun could be reincarnated with his memories intact
- Before Masahiro walked over the river to actually die, his late grandmother stops him and sends him back, so he doesn't actually die
- Because Masahiro doesn't successfully exchange his life for Guren's, Mokkun can only be reincarnated without his memories intact

I guess I was expecting Mokkun to disappear or something...I wasn't expecting his reincarnation to be that quick :p

I'm actually glad that they left off with Akiko and Masahiro seeing the fireflies together. That was something they mentioned a lot and a big part motivation that both of them held onto when they were in hardship. I'm glad I stayed for after the credits :D

Quanta said:
I want to see how Mokkun and Masahiro rebuild their relationship. If you think about it, it would kinda be the reverse of how their relationship started. Guren knew Masahiro but Masahiro only had vague memories of Guren.

Ooh that's a really interesting insight! You're totally right, and that's a cool way of thinking about it!

Overall I really loved this series! I got like 2 episodes in yeeeeears ago and then kept it on-hold this whole time, but I'm glad I picked it back up now. I really loved Masahiro and Mokkun's relationship, that was super fun! I also liked the soundtrack, I thought it did a really good job of conveying the mood of each scene, and LOVED the OP :D I thought the pacing was excellent, there was a great balance of action and talk-y scenes, comedy and drama. There honestly wasn't a second of this show that had me bored. I honestly enjoyed it so much, it's an easy 9-10/10 from me! I'm so glad I picked it back up after all this time :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2021 4:24 AM
Sep 2021
One of the best Onmyouji anime I've watch 🥰🥰🥰 I love this anime so much.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shounen Onmyouji Episode 25 Discussion

Faust721 - May 25, 2008

7 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 28, 2021 2:51 AM

Poll: » Shounen Onmyouji Episode 24 Discussion

Faust721 - Mar 4, 2008

15 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 28, 2021 2:13 AM

Poll: » Shounen Onmyouji Episode 23 Discussion

DeathfireD - Jan 30, 2008

8 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 28, 2021 1:40 AM

Poll: » Shounen Onmyouji Episode 22 Discussion

DeathfireD - Jan 30, 2008

4 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 28, 2021 12:18 AM

Poll: » Shounen Onmyouji Episode 21 Discussion

DeathfireD - Jan 27, 2008

7 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 27, 2021 9:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.