Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 25, 2011 5:39 AM
Feb 2011
yes Gino is the best, the whole series has been great lets hope for a season 2! Ciao! everyone

Although is was a little rushed towards the end!!
Mar 19, 2011 8:19 PM

Mar 2011
Just the exact way to end the first season. The closing theme song was very epic. 9/10

Jul 26, 2011 12:48 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty decent.
Jan 18, 2012 5:30 PM

Jul 2010
Nice ending, seems like ETU will get to the top with Tatsumi as coach and with all the players trying their hardest :)

I hoped they would at least reveal how Tatsumi was planning on winnig the next game without Akatsuki (or what is his name, the new national guy) and the Prince... would be interesting to know, I might even pick up the manga :)

Hmm... I liked the matches a lot but the pacing was a little off sometimes. I didn't liked Tatsumi's behavior all the time and I have the feeling there coul've been a little móre... Kina felt like they tried to deepen everyone's personality but ended up negleting some of them along the way. Well can't say I can complain, the characters are what made this show what it is ^^ 8/10, very enjoyable :D
May 12, 2012 8:45 AM
May 2012
Wow! Really nice season. I'm praying for a second season! Hopefully it comes. 10/10, loved it!
Dec 25, 2012 10:37 AM

May 2008
Good last episode. The games were slow and boring, If there is another season, I'm not going to watch it.
Dec 26, 2012 4:30 PM

Mar 2012
Decent ending. I liked all the knockoffs of the J. League teams over the course of the anime.
Oct 18, 2013 4:53 PM

Jul 2012
Loved this show, but I had major problems with some episodes' pacing, so it'll be a 7/10 from me. Great cast of characters, nice humour, atmosphere and music but weak in terms of execution and there's a lack of suspense like other shows such as Death Note that can pull of cliffhangers and excitement. I found the soccer matches a bit too slow for my liking and it lacks an edge because it was trying to go into a realistic feel.

But none the less, solid show overall. Hope there'll be a season 2 or something in the future even if it's unlikely. More Gino, Tsubaki, Akasaki, Kuroda, Sera, Natsuki, Sugi, Tatsumi... Everyone! :) I shall look into this manga.

Okay. I might give it an 8 actually, but I have to compare this with my other ratings first!
Dec 18, 2013 7:09 AM

Mar 2012
It was great but I want more :(
Mar 19, 2014 10:23 PM

Mar 2012
Pacing was shitty at the end, was in absolute love with the first half of the show, second half...too much talking for filler purposes. It's a shame the last episode had to rush thru a lot of games.

Better pacing, longer show, less talking to fill time would have = at least a 9 for me, but alas, 7/10 for me.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
May 25, 2014 11:05 AM

Sep 2013
GREAT , I WANT SOME CURRY
Jun 1, 2014 7:50 AM
Sep 2013
just finished watching giant killing, the pace reminds me of Oofuri, sometimes it is very slow, sometimes very fast-paced. but i dont mind, since the words giant killing itself means that the small teams beating the big one, so taking nagoya grampus (ups, grand palace) and gamba (ups, again, sorry. gunners) osaka as the main opponent and taking lot of screentime is acceptable for me.

closing it with curry party, and a reminder to the GM that a club isnt only about the player, but also about the people around the town, is a good one. 8/10 for the art, 9/10 for the story, 10/10 for the excitement, 10/10 for delivering such an amazing chant and cheers inside the anime.

final score, 10/10
Jun 13, 2014 2:50 AM

Apr 2014
Huh. So the manga goes on from here?

I have mixed feelings about this show. On one hand it's clever, beautifully animated, accurately voiced (English by an Englishman! Brazillians! Dutch- and Frenchmen! Italians! The terrible accents for the translators! w) and an exciting underdog story. (Seinen!)

On the other, the recaps were extensive and the characters... Well. Let's just say I had trouble connecting to them as people. That's big. No matter how cool the plays, the issues of the team could get grating without that essential layer of affection. (And their fans... GOD. >_>) I didn't necessarily dislike ETU -- often the opposite! -- but their struggles never felt like my struggles, never personal. I wonder if high school sports might be it for me; there's a different chemistry between team members when playing for a living vs. in a club for a limited time during the ~springtime of youth~.

Positives: PRINCE. He was, without a doubt, fabulous -- the #1 most interesting flowerpot. Weirdly, (by the end) it felt as if he was the most focused of them all. I guess that's why he *~*sparkles*~* <3

'Baki (Dog #2) wasn't bad either -- especially when he got his groove going. Wanted to know more about his farm days, though....

Takumi... he drove the plot so I guess?? Though I liked him on an intellectual level more than anything.

So... 8/10? Barely? It has so much going for it but the lack of character development (outside "so and so is more confident at kicking a ball blah blah) brought it down. Frustrating. :( After some thought, it has gotta be a 7.
currycurryJun 18, 2014 4:21 PM
Jul 16, 2014 10:12 PM

Dec 2012
That curry party was a hoot, it reminded me of the first episode so I'm glad they showed that scene again for emphasis.

I like how Giant Killing took a more unique approach to its sport by showing how the players, coaches, managers, and supporters help to build up the club to what it is. This was a theme that ran thick throughout the show and I like how they drove it all home by uniting everyone with the curry party at the end.

Initially it took me some time to warm up to this show (3 whole months) but it turned out to be a good treat. I like how they dealt with the language barrier and kept it authentic from start to finish. There were quite a few characters that really stuck out to me such as Natsuki, Gino (The Prince!), Kuroda, and of course Tatsumi. I really like how cunning and hilariously eccentric he was. A strong cast through and through. The transition and growth of ETU was satisfying to watch as well. The games were really exciting to watch combined with the various tactics involved.

Anime needs more shows like this that are devoid of fan-service and all about telling the story it wants to deliver. 7/10
Nov 18, 2015 8:52 PM

Feb 2010
Directors did a good job with the portraying of so many characters, very enjoyable ^_^ 8/10

Dec 17, 2015 4:00 PM

Jan 2010
True words by Tatsumi there...he's such a great character !

Going to miss this, it was a very good anime! Go Go ETU!!

8/10 very well deserved :D maybe i'm going to rewatch this sometime :)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 23, 2015 8:26 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Tatsumi one hell of a coach. He brought out the best in Sera, Tsubaki, Gino, and Akasaki managed to get into the Nippon Olympic Squad.

One thing he'll have to work on is having a good 2nd team squad. Miyana and that other defense guy weren't doing well with the absence of Kuro and Akasaki.

Curry party was fun. Loved it when Tatsumi made Yuri wear a cooking outfit. She was cute, adorable and a bit tsundere.

The 3 kids finally got to meet Tsubaki. Great way for fans to interact with the players. It boosts the teams morale as well as fan support.

Overall I hope there's a second season or at least an OVA down the road.

Apr 29, 2016 2:21 PM

Jun 2015
aww man was kinda sad that it ended like that, I was expecting more.. such an underrated anime tho, sad that it doesn't have another season or something to even tell us about what happened with ETU and Tatsumi but oh well it was a fun ride
May 23, 2016 9:34 AM

Jul 2015
Really enjoyed this one ! , Sad enough no season 2 :(
Sep 16, 2020 4:05 PM

Dec 2007
so natsu get his way for the game.

etu had made couple of good winning or not losing.

and so tatsumi making curry party for his giant killing.

great fitting end,

but...

final opinions on the series:
there's some things that annoying or bad in the anime, and there's, mostly is good but the bad stuff really lowering the quality, and those are:

1. pacing - it really made me annoying along the series, usually sport have fast pacing and short lining, i understand the fact that the anime have little more depth but the pace didn't slower down for that but stupid things like long lines told for whole minutes. the pacing is fixed once a game is started but some times even at the game itself like vs osaka it feels really dragged, the pace was the main reason for me to actually count the episodes and not enjoying what should be fun.
I actually thinks that if the series would have ended in 22-24 episodes with good pace it would have been better.

2. fillers (?) - the whole fans stories felt really unnecessary and boring.

3 - potential - this is actually not a problem since the series has full of it, the problem is that i don't feel the series using it well - I expected to see much more from tatsumi tactics and strategy but in the end i feel that the anime ran away from that, instead focusing on it lie one outs, i hardly heard tatsumi notes or his way of strategy, and not only that, i always had the feeling that the studio hiding stuff from me i should have noticed or heard, that the manga probably has.

the good stuff his, there's good and interesting characters here, good development of story and great story, the anime does deliver what it came for and i enjoyed every second, the only problems set above didn't lowered my enjoyment though lowered it down, so instead of 9/10 i give it 7/10.
Dec 8, 2020 10:25 AM

Apr 2016
I just completed the rewatch, now I'll go with the manga. I want to know how it continues. Good series as I remembered.
Jan 12, 2021 4:24 PM

Oct 2010
HectorBlaze said:
I just completed the rewatch, now I'll go with the manga. I want to know how it continues. Good series as I remembered.

Do you know at which chapter the anime ends?
'Ask her to wait a moment— I am almost done.' - Carl Friedrich Gauss ( When told, while working, that his wife was dying).
Jan 14, 2021 3:47 AM

Apr 2016
BlackPhoenix2010 said:
HectorBlaze said:

It should be around chapter 90, I think the last part we can see in the anime adaptation is chapter 89.
Jan 14, 2021 1:24 PM

Oct 2010
HectorBlaze said:
BlackPhoenix2010 said:

It should be around chapter 90, I think the last part we can see in the anime adaptation is chapter 89.

Thanks a lot, man.
'Ask her to wait a moment— I am almost done.' - Carl Friedrich Gauss ( When told, while working, that his wife was dying).
Jan 15, 2021 11:34 AM

Apr 2016
BlackPhoenix2010 said:
HectorBlaze said:

Thanks a lot, man.

You’re welcome!
Jan 26, 2021 9:00 AM

Jul 2019
Wasted potential. I'll go read the manga
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 5 Discussion

throwaway513846 - May 2, 2010

45 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 16 Discussion

helur - Jul 18, 2010

28 by cableguyjay »»
Sep 11, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 17 Discussion

BitchMaster - Jul 25, 2010

29 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Mar 19, 2023 10:04 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kagura89 - Apr 4, 2010

99 by ryzxgum »»
Jan 29, 2023 6:14 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 19 Discussion

devilangell - Aug 8, 2010

38 by Shiroko_kun »»
Oct 7, 2022 12:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.