Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 1 Discussion

Dec 28, 2009 3:41 PM

I liked it, resembles Star Wars.

Dec 29, 2009 6:44 AM

-LU- said:
I liked it, resembles Star Wars.

how? they are both set in space, yes, but I think they are poles apart
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Dec 29, 2009 6:51 AM

It's a reach for sure, the biggest resemblance is empire v rebels in space. It's more like Star Trek Generations than Star Wars, in terms of atmosphere and attention to details, but at the end of the day LotGH is unlike anything else out there in the visual medium.

There's no way LotGH the live action TV series or movie could be made in today's climate. It's too talky for the masses. Although having said that, and although I haven't read them yet, but the fantasy series A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin is being made for TV by HBO, and from what I understand they're not typical fantasy books either. So I guess anything's possible.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Jan 10, 2010 4:45 PM

have finally gotten around go watching the first episode of this!

well it looks pretty good. I am excited to see how similar it really is to code geass, since people are always comparing them and saying LoGH is better, I want to see for myself, so onto the next ep I guess :)

Jan 11, 2010 12:35 AM

tizara said:

I'd recommend watching 'My conquest is the sea of stars' and 'overture to the new war' movies first.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Jan 14, 2010 2:15 AM

eyerok said:
tizara said:

I'd recommend watching 'My conquest is the sea of stars' and 'overture to the new war' movies first.

I'll consider this, though it feels strange to go for watching a movie of a show first.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how this battle was won and lost. But I figure I will soon enough.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.

Jan 15, 2010 1:37 AM

ukonkivi said:
eyerok said:
tizara said:

I'll consider this, though it feels strange to go for watching a movie of a show first.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how this battle was won and lost. But I figure I will soon enough.

They're both a much better introduction than the first 2 episodes. Overtures is an extended version of the first two eps and does a much better job at setting the story and fleshing the characters, adn the battle is shown in a better way. My conquest takes place before that and is based on the first encounter between Yang and Reinhard

Jan 29, 2010 1:25 PM
Is this anime as good as they say? Watched 5 min of the first episode and I have to say that it was a different type of anime.

Where is the best place to watch it?

Jan 31, 2010 3:11 AM

^watch the first movie first :)
My conquest is the sea of stars

Feb 5, 2010 3:16 AM

smokes said:

ANd then watch the overture to the new war movie; criminally overlooked as an excellent intro

Feb 5, 2010 1:09 PM

eyerok said:
smokes said:

ANd then watch the overture to the new war movie; criminally overlooked as an excellent intro

eh i didnt watch that movie :(
Beatnik said that the first movie then the series to watch...
anyway i hope i didnt loose anything there)

Feb 5, 2010 1:19 PM

smokes said:
eh i didnt watch that movie :(
Beatnik said that the first movie then the series to watch...
anyway i hope i didnt loose anything there)

Don't worry, Oveture is just an extended uncut version of the first two episodes, so I don't think we've missed anything essential. Still probably worth checking out at some point for the Uber Completist Fans of LotGH (tm)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Feb 5, 2010 2:01 PM

^yeah) already downloaded them all)

Feb 5, 2010 10:37 PM

true...you wouldn't be missing anything essential if you just watch the main series. But as an intro I found it as good as My conquest is the sea of stars, if not better. Its everything the first two episodes should have been. Its battle of Astate at its finest. Plus we get to see some yang wenli slice-of-life :P
Of the three prequel movies, Overture's would easily be my favorite
Modified by eyerok, Feb 5, 2010 10:40 PM

Feb 14, 2010 2:40 AM

Bore fest. This better live up to all the Hullabaloo.

Jul 15, 2010 2:52 PM
This show looks promising.

I have one question though: How did the blondie defeat the other guys battleship even though he had less battleship than them ? I understood he took out one group (how?) then destroyed another group after it.

I hope the rest of the show won't be that vague...

Jul 15, 2010 3:33 PM

I'd recommend you to watch the movie Ouverture to a new war instead of the first 2 episodes. It's basically a better, less rushed version of the first 2 episodes.

Gentlemen will walk but never run.

Jul 15, 2010 4:20 PM

I haven't seen this show since 2008, but tonight, I have decided to rewatch it all (not in one night, obvious). I'm holding off for a few hours, just to be build suspense. I'll probably start with Overture to a New War instead of the first two eps.

Jul 15, 2010 10:55 PM

supersayen said:

I have one question though: How did the blondie defeat the other guys battleship even though he had less battleship than them ? I understood he took out one group (how?) then destroyed another group after it.

If I remember it right, the battle is all about simple math, because even though the alliance have forces 3 times of the empire, they divide it into 3 small forces, in order to surround the imperial forces. However reinhard knows this, and immediately orders his soldiers to eliminate those small forces one by one, instead of retreating/ and waiting to be surrounded.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do know a whole of imperial forces outnumbers those small forces alliance divided.

Jul 16, 2010 10:03 AM
ShinRA said:
supersayen said:

If I remember it right, the battle is all about simple math, because even though the alliance have forces 3 times of the empire, they divide it into 3 small forces, in order to surround the imperial forces. However reinhard knows this, and immediately orders his soldiers to eliminate those small forces one by one, instead of retreating/ and waiting to be surrounded.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do know a whole of imperial forces outnumbers those small forces alliance divided.

Actually they never explained it clearly in this episode. Anyway, thanks for the rec Higashi_no_Kaze, I just finished the movie and things made perfectly sense (not to mention character introduction was much better).

Aug 8, 2010 10:50 PM

This episode seemed a bit simplistic to me, but at the same time it hinted at great depth to come. The whole attack each of the groups one by one and come at them from an unexpected direction is not exactly mind-bending, but some of the comments the characters made were wistfully philosophical, which leads me to think the show will pick up in complexity pretty quickly, and it's just trying to ease us into it with a basic battle situation. I hope the commanders aren't so incompetent the entire show, and I hope the random philosophical/exposition side comments continue as out of place as they sometimes are (one soldier explaining that sleep thing to another, as if he wouldn't already know). This show might very well be amazing...
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Aug 10, 2010 3:17 PM

nice opening ^^

but the episode was as I expected it to be(boring)

why do they have to start like that?i didn't even get to know the characters' names well and already people die and stuff...i don't care LOL

2/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Aug 10, 2010 10:00 PM

Oh noes! Crapnad troll haz arrived! :<

Take cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 11, 2010 2:42 AM

clannad4ever said:
nice opening ^^

why do they have to start like that?i didn't even get to know the characters' names well and already people die and stuff...i don't care LOL

2/5

Hint: watch movies first (my conquest is the sea of stars + overture to the new war), and then decide whether the series is for you or not

Aug 11, 2010 3:35 AM

orzel286 said:
Oh noes! Crapnad troll haz arrived! :<

Take cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very mature...
oh and you gave it a 1,probably without even trying to watch it...i wonder who's the troll

eyerok said:
clannad4ever said:
nice opening ^^

2/5

Hint: watch movies first (my conquest is the sea of stars + overture to the new war), and then decide whether the series is for you or not

i honestly think this anime will grow on me,but i need some character development :-)
and i don't know,maybe i'll give it a try

PS:don't get me wrong,i usually dislike the first episodes in most of the anime i watch
for ex i gave the 1st Clannad episode like 3/5
and the first Cowboy Bebop episode 1/5 lol,and these are two of the three anime i really love...
Modified by clannad4ever, Aug 11, 2010 3:41 AM
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Aug 11, 2010 5:21 AM

clannad4ever said:

very mature...
oh and you gave it a 1,probably without even trying to watch it...i wonder who's the troll

Ur suggesting that i lied 'bout number of eps i've seen? LOL why should i?

LotGH isn't for moe-harem-crappy romance fanatics, so i suggest u drop it before u start bithing 'bout how-u-couldn't-even-understand-the-plot.

kthxbai.

Aug 11, 2010 10:25 PM

Lol, this is the stupidest argument ever. On the right side of the ring, we have the clannad fanatic who gives a 5 to the greatest OVA I've yet seen (Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal), and on the left side, we have a dragonball z fanatic who gives a 1 to both Black Lagoon AND Evangelion. Both of you are blasphemers. Nobody wants to see a toddler fight a paraplegic, so let's stay on topic, ok? If you want to keep flaming each other, that's what "send message" is for.
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Aug 12, 2010 3:18 AM

eyerok said:
clannad4ever said:
nice opening ^^

2/5

i honestly think this anime will grow on me,but i need some character development :-)
and i don't know,maybe i'll give it a try

PS:don't get me wrong,i usually dislike the first episodes in most of the anime i watch
for ex i gave the 1st Clannad episode like 3/5
and the first Cowboy Bebop episode 1/5 lol,and these are two of the three anime i really love...

OK. I actually agree with you on that. I found the first 2 eps to be a bit crappy, but I still enjoyed them (mostly becuase it came out a bit cheesy). I still recommend the movies first because they give a good background on the characters, the theme, story etc. Those two movies are much better introductions to the series than tht first 5 episodes of the series. Not only that, but I think quality-wise its much better than the first couple of eps.
Modified by eyerok, Aug 12, 2010 3:26 AM

Nov 15, 2010 5:25 PM

Wow after months of watching the prequels I finally get to start. Many new faces are introduced.

Also, Lap died again!!!?? Lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Nov 15, 2010 5:38 PM

Confucius said:
Wow after months of watching the prequels I finally get to start. Many new faces are introduced.

That one movie covers the same as the first couple of episodes.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Nov 18, 2010 8:28 AM

Confucius said:

overture to a new war = first 2 episodes and some of ep 3 of the main series. The movie basically covers the astate battle, but with much more details.

Feb 5, 2011 8:35 PM

That blonde dude is MANLY.

Feb 6, 2011 7:54 AM
no he isn't. The real man is the blue hair one.

Feb 8, 2011 3:33 PM

They've got nothing on Schenkopp though.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Feb 8, 2011 3:33 PM

They've got nothing on Schenkopp though.

Feb 9, 2011 2:14 AM

The Real Man Always Disregards Traps, And Makes Forceful Penetration! :D

May 16, 2011 12:20 AM

Sleeping in a tank bed for one hour can take away fatigue like 8 hours of normal sleep can? I want one of those bad boys.

lol whats with all the pointless character introductions in the first episode like I give a shit about anyone else besides the main characters right now. Only ones I really care about now is Yang, Reinhard, and that red haired boy thats beside him.

Well anyways this looks interesting if it still keeps my interest around episode 25~30 I won't drop it.

3/5 for this episode.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

May 16, 2011 5:54 AM

Roloko said:

lol whats with all the pointless character introductions in the first episode.

oh trust me the character introductions are far from pointless in this show.

May 16, 2011 1:36 PM

insan3soldiern said:
BluMeino said:
usasoldiern said:
As others have said, that was alot of characters introduced. The only ones I remember are Reinhardt and Yang.

I don't know if it'll live up to the hype, but I hope it's good.

Don't worry, they reintroduce the characters every couple of episodes with those on-screen titles. And why else would an older title be hyped up so much?

All i'm saying is.. just because others like it, doesn't mean I will. Now, don't get me wrong. It isn't as though I WANT to dislike the show.

Also, do Reinhardt and Yang keep getting reintroduced? It would be annoying, since they are the main characters.

You see, It's shit like this that reinforces my belief that you should NEVER judge a series based on a few episodes or, in this case, one.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

May 16, 2011 2:15 PM

insan3soldiern said:

You see, It's shit like this that reinforces my belief that you should NEVER judge a series based on a few episodes or, in this case, one.

Especially in LOGH's case, when the story is incredibly vast. One or five episodes is not enough of a chance to give to a slow burning series such as this.

It's completely pointless to complain about a show being slow moving, or there are a lot of characters introduced when it needs time to introduce everything and everyone properly.

May 16, 2011 2:48 PM

Hias said:
insan3soldiern said:

Especially in LOGH's case, when the story is incredibly vast. One or five episodes is not enough of a chance to give to a slow burning series such as this.

It's completely pointless to complain about a show being slow moving, or there are a lot of characters introduced when it needs time to introduce everything and everyone properly.

Yep, I agree. I think it's actually better for a series to take it's time to build up it's characters, plot, etc. But, unfortunately, many people just look for instant gratification.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Aug 5, 2011 9:36 PM
Rewatching this epic series. I'm starting to think I severely underrated LoGH.

What a flurry of character introductions this first episode had. During my first viewing I didn't pay them much mind, since they seemed like background guys who're sidelined compared to protagonists. Really though, almost all of the named characters become crucial to the story in their own ways.
Even Lap, who lived onscreen for mere minutes. He had a life and death that greatly influenced Yang, subtly altering galactic history by proxy.

Aug 5, 2011 10:03 PM
I know...I had a hard time cause I watched it with those Hong Kong subs...I'm getting the CA versions now. I am loving this show!

Aug 9, 2011 10:37 PM

Man, that's a lot of characters, not sure if I will be able to remember them all.

I must say, I wanted to start this series for a while now since it's rated the third best anime on the site, but the 110 episodes intimidated me. do it took me a while to start this series.

This was a pretty good episode. It got me excited a little bit to see what will happen next, and I will this will become epic.

Poor Lap, I feel sorry for him.

Dec 3, 2011 10:57 AM

The names were a bit confusing, but since i've watched the movie "Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars" at least I remember a few (or at least the main characters).

Very interesting to see how minds/brains are at battle. It seems that old geezers everywhere are the same (be it in the Empire or Free Alliance), they are so stubborn! In Yang's case: Heed the advices of the advisor that's why they're called advisors!! And as for Reinhard, I can't wait to see the looks of defeat and awe from those old officers to Reinhard!

I must say it's kinda sad to see Lap who seems like a capable man die so early in the series!

Feb 17, 2012 1:44 AM

This first episode was quite a mess. Not only the battle as was told remained uninteresting throughout (and I don't demand bombs and explosions... but if you choose to show the point of view of strategy, explain the freaking strategy), but the dialogues are some of the most cringe-inducing I have heard in a long while. Admittedly, I had read a negative review that enlightened them before and was a little bit more sensitive... however with scenes like that one of "Don't say unpleasant things!" I just don't know how to react.

It works more or less as a character introduction, but if these are the model characters that are going to build the series then I can give up. I hope this series improves and shows actual content in future episodes, because damn it, it's a 110-episode pathway and I assume that it will be as slow-paced as this first episode. Hopefully with some added substance, too.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

Feb 17, 2012 2:46 AM

jal90 said:
This first episode was quite a mess. Not only the battle as was told remained uninteresting throughout (and I don't demand bombs and explosions... but if you choose to show the point of view of strategy, explain the freaking strategy), but the dialogues are some of the most cringe-inducing I have heard in a long while. Admittedly, I had read a negative review that enlightened them before and was a little bit more sensitive... however with scenes like that one of "Don't say unpleasant things!" I just don't know how to react.

It works more or less as a character introduction, but if these are the model characters that are going to build the series then I can give up. I hope this series improves and shows actual content in future episodes, because damn it, it's a 110-episode pathway and I assume that it will be as slow-paced as this first episode. Hopefully with some added substance, too.

As a recent convert, all I'll say is this show has some of the deepest, most complex characters I've come across. And as far as substance goes, there's plenty. Plenty is a gross understatement, actually. Strategies are explained. And language - well, the Empire people speak somewhat archaically, I suppose; then again, it goes hand in hand with the fact that aristocracy and nobility rule over the Empire.

Try watching Overture to a New War - it's a much more detailed version of the first two episodes, and a much better reflection of the show to come. But I will accede this show isn't for everyone, the same way a few other top anime on MAL aren't for me.

Feb 17, 2012 10:33 AM

jal90 said:

I didnt like the first two eps at all either, the reason why I recommend people to watch "overture to a new war", which I think is far more important as an introduction than "my conquest is the sea of stars". "Overture" basically covers the same events as the first two eps, but with much better everything, and at least 40 minutes of extra content.
Also, the dialogues in the series are among the best I've come across (except they do sound cheesy in the first couple of eps).
On a related point, hope youre watching the CA release!
Modified by eyerok, Feb 17, 2012 10:36 AM

Feb 17, 2012 10:54 AM

koreye said:
jal90 said:

I didnt like the first two eps at all either, the reason why I recommend people to watch "overture to a new war", which I think is far more important as an introduction than "my conquest is the sea of stars". "Overture" basically covers the same events as the first two eps, but with much better everything, and at least 40 minutes of extra content.
Also, the dialogues in the series are among the best I've come across (except they do sound cheesy in the first couple of eps).

I am not watching the CA release, I watch it in Japanese with Spanish subs.

I think I will go on with the series and later catch specials or prequels... jumping constantly from one to another will turn pretty annoying.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

Feb 18, 2012 10:59 PM

jal90 said:
koreye said:
jal90 said:

I am not watching the CA release, I watch it in Japanese with Spanish subs.

I think I will go on with the series and later catch specials or prequels... jumping constantly from one to another will turn pretty annoying.

That could quite well be your problem with the series.
Even if English isn't your first language the CA subs are by far superior to ANYTHING else out there.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »