Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 1 Discussion


Jun 29, 2009 10:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 209
Cowabunga said:
Just finished watching the first episode minutes ago. I was surprised with the introduction of many characters and it'll probably take a while for me to remember their names, but it's a good thing that they put their names on the screen.

Everybody says that the show starts getting interesting from episode 20 onwards, but after watching the first episode I'm already hyped. Usually when people say "Best thing ever, watch it!" I always end up disappointed but I have high hopes for this series.


They put the names on the screen continuously, you will never forget the important characters. But because of how lost you already are (you're supposed to be), doesn't it already feel like it has a grand scope and established universe? That's the problem I have with many shows, they tend to keep the storytelling narrow and very linear.
 
Jul 7, 2009 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 299
I must say that I had doubts about this series. It looked slow and boring and unnecessarily long. Then I watched the first episode a few minutes ago, to see what all the hype was about. It was slow. But it wasn't boring. I can tell already that I'm in for a ride, and I'm able to understand what all those 10's are for, especially if it doesn't really get going until episode 20. I'm excited.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
 
Jul 9, 2009 2:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 209
BokuSatchii said:
I must say that I had doubts about this series. It looked slow and boring and unnecessarily long. Then I watched the first episode a few minutes ago, to see what all the hype was about. It was slow. But it wasn't boring. I can tell already that I'm in for a ride, and I'm able to understand what all those 10's are for, especially if it doesn't really get going until episode 20. I'm excited.


It has to be slow, it's a very long show. And unlike your Narootus or Blechs, it's not divided into simple archs, it's continuous.
 
Jul 23, 2009 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15137
As others have said, that was alot of characters introduced. The only ones I remember are Reinhardt and Yang.

I don't know if it'll live up to the hype, but I hope it's good.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
 
Jul 23, 2009 5:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 209
usasoldiern said:
As others have said, that was alot of characters introduced. The only ones I remember are Reinhardt and Yang.

I don't know if it'll live up to the hype, but I hope it's good.


Don't worry, they reintroduce the characters every couple of episodes with those on-screen titles. And why else would an older title be hyped up so much?
 
Jul 23, 2009 9:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15137
BluMeino said:
usasoldiern said:
As others have said, that was alot of characters introduced. The only ones I remember are Reinhardt and Yang.

I don't know if it'll live up to the hype, but I hope it's good.


Don't worry, they reintroduce the characters every couple of episodes with those on-screen titles. And why else would an older title be hyped up so much?


All i'm saying is.. just because others like it, doesn't mean I will. Now, don't get me wrong. It isn't as though I WANT to dislike the show.

Also, do Reinhardt and Yang keep getting reintroduced? It would be annoying, since they are the main characters.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
 
Jul 25, 2009 6:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2211
It's not so great. The tactics are incompatible with the technology, and some things were just stoopid (we know where the enemy fleet is, so why can't we figure out that they're right next to us?)...
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
 
Jul 27, 2009 9:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 95
Mawootad said:
It's not so great. The tactics are incompatible with the technology, and some things were just stoopid (we know where the enemy fleet is, so why can't we figure out that they're right next to us?)...

The antiquated tactics are part of the 18th/19th century motif, along with the Romantic music, ridiculously huge epaulets, German names that take up half the screen, etc... If it seems silly then that's the point.
Nice
check this rad twitter out: http://twitter.com/fuckyeah_anime
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15137
Ninja337 said:
Mawootad said:
It's not so great. The tactics are incompatible with the technology, and some things were just stoopid (we know where the enemy fleet is, so why can't we figure out that they're right next to us?)...

The antiquated tactics are part of the 18th/19th century motif, along with the Romantic music, ridiculously huge epaulets, German names that take up half the screen, etc... If it seems silly then that's the point.


Some people just don't get the point.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
 
Aug 2, 2009 7:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 872
I came into watching the first episode after watching Overture to a New War. Originally, I thought about skipping the first two episodes after watching this. In the end, I decided to watch them to see what differences there were. Indeed, I found them and surprisingly this did nothing significant to detract from my overall satisifaction of the series.
 
Aug 29, 2009 9:30 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1081
I thought people were joking saying this show was good. Now this show is pretty fucking intense. Fleets blowing up and shit. The story is also pretty interesting. Reinhard is the shit.
 
Aug 30, 2009 12:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 520
You can joke stating that Mars of Destruction is the best show one have ever seen but when a few hundred people are saying that a 110 episodes show about Germans in space fighting with huge spaceships is awesome and EPIC, you can guess that there is no irony behind those words. ;)
 
Sep 10, 2009 9:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 806
Moya said:
You can joke stating that Mars of Destruction is the best show one have ever seen but when a few hundred people are saying that a 110 episodes show about Germans in space fighting with huge spaceships is awesome and EPIC, you can guess that there is no irony behind those words. ;)

Let me tell you something, I laughed my ass off for around... I'd say 4-6 minutes in a row nonstop with your comment, I coulnd't even breath for a few seconds. Anyway..

I really, but really don't have problems with the animation, I'm quite clearly stating this given out the fact that it is very old and taking in mind the budget as well. Well so far... It doesn't impress me that much, a lot of characters intruduced, okay, quite silly tactics and good reasons of war, the FPA and the Galactic Empire, okay... really, its all FUCKING OKAY. It's just the first episode anyway, I'm not reaching to conclusions after all but I wanna know definetly what's the hype all about LotgH.

Starting it right now.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
 
Sep 22, 2009 5:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3017
hmm not a bad episode, I wasn't bored or anything and seeing as I recently watched Hajime no Ippo the animation doesn't really impact me, this should be an interesting series =]
 
Sep 29, 2009 6:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2829
I heard a lot of good things about LOGH and someone recommend it if you like Guin Saga. I am so tired off all these mindless anime flying around I need something to sink my teeth in and I hope that anime would be it.
 
Sep 29, 2009 6:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4611
Ok, see this quote below from a guy a few posts above?

Mikiyo said:
Well so far... It doesn't impress me that much, a lot of characters intruduced, okay, quite silly tactics and good reasons of war, the FPA and the Galactic Empire, okay... really, its all FUCKING OKAY. It's just the first episode anyway, I'm not reaching to conclusions after all but I wanna know definetly what's the hype all about LotgH.

Starting it right now.


He was reduced to tears by the end of the OVA.

Mikiyo from last episode thread said:
I'm just speechless at the moment, just beyond comprehension, the greatest opera I've seen in my life so far, I just can't find a sentence to describe what I wanna really say (I wonder if there is anyway), Amazingly Epic? Ridiculously Awesome? Or maybe an Extraordinary Masterpiece?


Another day, another endorsement of LotGH.

*walks off into sunset*
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Sep 29, 2009 9:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 944
tainteddonut said:

----------------------------------------
I could tell I'm going to have trouble remembering all those names. I might have to write some of them down ^^;.


LOL this
 
Oct 1, 2009 10:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 806
MaxCrazy7 said:
I heard a lot of good things about LOGH and someone recommend it if you like Guin Saga. I am so tired off all these mindless anime flying around I need something to sink my teeth in and I hope that anime would be it.


Beatnik said:
Ok, see this quote below from a guy a few posts above?

He was reduced to tears by the end of the OVA.


As Beatnik says, you will find your needle in the barn. It will suck out your attention so much that you won't even know what the hell happened, as soon as you sink your teeth into LotgH you won't be able to extract them anymore.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
 
Oct 4, 2009 12:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 78
I'm interested in watching this eventually. What's the best fansub? I tried central but it's in tiny resolution, but is that the best i'm going to get?
 
Oct 4, 2009 8:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 806
KritikalMotion said:
I'm interested in watching this eventually. What's the best fansub? I tried central but it's in tiny resolution, but is that the best i'm going to get?
CentralAnime.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
 
Oct 5, 2009 5:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 206
does this series pick up pace? I started it cause its #1 on the site and keep hearing good things about it.. but didn't find the battle scenes particularly interesting in the first eps xD does it get better?
 
Oct 5, 2009 5:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 13588
It gets a lot better yes. But it's still rather slow, though mostly because there's so much going on.
But by the end the plot will have gone through more twists and turns than you'd find in most other series, and good twists at that.

If anything, you could always fast forward through the battles.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja
 
Oct 11, 2009 6:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 209
amade0 said:
does this series pick up pace? I started it cause its #1 on the site and keep hearing good things about it.. but didn't find the battle scenes particularly interesting in the first eps xD does it get better?


Since you used "xD", I don't think that this anime is for you. It's #1 on the site not because it's popular, but because most of the people who have seen it have rated it high.
 
Oct 12, 2009 2:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 438
amade0 said:
does this series pick up pace? I started it cause its #1 on the site and keep hearing good things about it.. but didn't find the battle scenes particularly interesting in the first eps xD does it get better?

It takes forever, but it does. The characters may not even become likable until ep. 10. The battles are usually the most boring parts anyway, I suspect moreso if classical music isn't your thing. At the very least, though, the instances of best character banter ever that start popping up between Yang's subordinates around the middle are worth waiting for.
 
Oct 12, 2009 6:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4611
I wouldnt call the battles 'boring'. The action is boring, but this isnt an action anime anyway. The battles are exciting because they're smart and epic.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Oct 12, 2009 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 226
I just started on this series, and finished ep. 3 today. I like this... yeah the names are really hard to remember, but the scale of this series really does seem huge. I admit that the first episode was pretty slow but I've never seen an anime (or any tv show for that matter) really take the trouble to build up entire civilizations with their own political views and customs and do so convincingly. Pretty ambitious but I'm willing to believe that LoGH wouldn't have beaten out all the fanboys to #1 on this webpage if it didn't work in the end. I have high expectations.

If nothing else, this series has done something totally unique in the history of anime by showing a bunch of masked hoodlums attempting to beat a woman while Mahler's 6th symphony plays in the background. Priceless!
 
Oct 15, 2009 6:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1176
BluMeino said:
amade0 said:
does this series pick up pace? I started it cause its #1 on the site and keep hearing good things about it.. but didn't find the battle scenes particularly interesting in the first eps xD does it get better?


Since you used "xD", I don't think that this anime is for you.

Made me smile.
 
Oct 25, 2009 2:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1524
Beatnik said:


He was reduced to tears by the end of the OVA.


Another day, another endorsement of LotGH.

*walks off into sunset*


LMAO!! HAHAHA



and whoever says the series is too serious...cmon did you not see the second ep when an admiral goes against Reinhards orders....
Its like...
"the admiral is disaobeying orders"
Reinhard: WHATs that fool doin? does he want to die..
*the guy dies in the next second*
Reinhard: Serves him right
XD

I mean...there a lot of scenes where I actually smiled or laughed even though they werent exactly humorous. Dont take me the wrong way, I'm not making fun of it...its just that I was enjoying it too much (only seen the first 4 eps and 2 movies).
Modified by eyerok, Oct 25, 2009 2:13 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Oct 25, 2009 6:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 13588
It also has a number of brilliantly funny conversations. So I wouldn't call it too serious either.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja
 
Oct 25, 2009 6:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 128
Baman said:
It also has a number of brilliantly funny conversations. So I wouldn't call it too serious either.

The brilliantly funny conversations comes from sarcasm about their government in which it's level is even more dangerous than that of Kyon.

Seriously, check LoGH funnies thread after you finished.
 
Oct 25, 2009 1:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1176
ShinRA said:
Baman said:
It also has a number of brilliantly funny conversations. So I wouldn't call it too serious either.

The brilliantly funny conversations comes from sarcasm about their government in which it's level is even more dangerous than that of Kyon.

Seriously, check LoGH funnies thread after you finished.

LOGH funnies is indeed a great thread.
 
Nov 18, 2009 9:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1850
So, I finally decided to give it a try :) We'll see if it's worth the second overall place.
So far so good - although nothing can really be said about a series that long after its first episode...but one thing I can tell for sure: it's a good thing they put the names on the screen. With that many characters it would be easy to confuse me xP
And honestly, I didn't feel like the animation is bad. It looks old, yes, but bad?... For me it's the same with games: when graphics are nice - cool. When they're not, I'm okay with that. I need an enticing story and characters I'll feel like crying after if they ever die, not pretty drawings.
Also, Reinhard's voice in particular is niiice x3 (Yes, that's an important factor for a voice freak like me xD)
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.


Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
 
Nov 21, 2009 5:07 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3817
Definitely a lot faster pace than the movie "Overture to a New War", not showing a lot of stuff that was in the movie. Maybe it'll be shown in flashbacks later in the OVA, that's for me to find out, durrr.
Anyway, LoGH is looking very interesting so far, but I'm afraid that I might lose interest if it becomes to slow. I hope it will keep me interested though!

I suggest that everyone should watch the three movies before watching this, to get a nice background story, and some better insight on the situation. It's not completely necessary, but I recommend doing so. But then again, there will probably be background story etc in the actual OVA as well.
 
Dec 11, 2009 12:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4377
that was a great episode.. it was already exciting lol..
the dialogs will probably rock here....


but man, i love the opening and the ending :(((
i listened it for like 10 times in a row )
that woman's voice is superb)
i should download the opening/ending song, if i can find them D:
 
Dec 13, 2009 8:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 678
man the first half was so boring...there was no introduction.. every1 just spoke with a monotone... but in language i dont understand...i felt like i was in a chemistry class all over again...i actually felt asleep at 10:21....and just finished the episode this morning...but the 2nd half was pretty good..ill stick with this for a while....
Modified by Free_Candy, Dec 13, 2009 8:04 AM
 
Dec 17, 2009 10:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 322
Wasn't too exciting for me right off but I think I could begin to like it. I hear you have to give this one a little time to kick into awesome mode.
 
Dec 17, 2009 10:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2186
Drgentile777 said:
Wasn't too exciting for me right off but I think I could begin to like it. I hear you have to give this one a little time to kick into awesome mode.


Mhmm you do, i remember thinking after the first few episodes. WOW this show is overrated, why do so many people praise it? Stuck it out and it literally became the best anime i have ever seen.
 
Dec 17, 2009 11:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1524
Drgentile777 said:
Wasn't too exciting for me right off but I think I could begin to like it. I hear you have to give this one a little time to kick into awesome mode.


The first two episodes are bad. The reason is they are too rushed and too little time is given to a lot of scenes. If you give it a fair chance though, theres a good chance you'll love it. The movie 'overtures to the new war' is a retelling of the first 2 episodes and is a much better version.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Dec 18, 2009 12:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4377
^ the first 2 episodes are very good -_-
btw you must see the movie first.
 
Dec 19, 2009 12:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1524
yea I had a lot of fun watching the first two eps, but mostly for the wrong reasons cuz, Honestly, they were too rushed. The pace was messed up. Some of the scenes turned out to be unintentionally funny and compared to the movie its a bit shabby. I saw the movie afterwords and I thought that's where I should have started.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Dec 28, 2009 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1357
I liked it, resembles Star Wars.
 
Dec 29, 2009 6:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1524
-LU- said:
I liked it, resembles Star Wars.


how? they are both set in space, yes, but I think they are poles apart
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Dec 29, 2009 6:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4611
It's a reach for sure, the biggest resemblance is empire v rebels in space. It's more like Star Trek Generations than Star Wars, in terms of atmosphere and attention to details, but at the end of the day LotGH is unlike anything else out there in the visual medium.

There's no way LotGH the live action TV series or movie could be made in today's climate. It's too talky for the masses. Although having said that, and although I haven't read them yet, but the fantasy series A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin is being made for TV by HBO, and from what I understand they're not typical fantasy books either. So I guess anything's possible.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Jan 10, 2010 4:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 953
have finally gotten around go watching the first episode of this!

well it looks pretty good. I am excited to see how similar it really is to code geass, since people are always comparing them and saying LoGH is better, I want to see for myself, so onto the next ep I guess :)
 
Jan 11, 2010 12:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1524
tizara said:
have finally gotten around go watching the first episode of this!


I'd recommend watching 'My conquest is the sea of stars' and 'overture to the new war' movies first.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Jan 14, 2010 2:15 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 31871
eyerok said:
tizara said:
have finally gotten around go watching the first episode of this!


I'd recommend watching 'My conquest is the sea of stars' and 'overture to the new war' movies first.

I'll consider this, though it feels strange to go for watching a movie of a show first.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how this battle was won and lost. But I figure I will soon enough.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
 
Jan 15, 2010 1:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1524
ukonkivi said:
eyerok said:
tizara said:
have finally gotten around go watching the first episode of this!


I'd recommend watching 'My conquest is the sea of stars' and 'overture to the new war' movies first.

I'll consider this, though it feels strange to go for watching a movie of a show first.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how this battle was won and lost. But I figure I will soon enough.


They're both a much better introduction than the first 2 episodes. Overtures is an extended version of the first two eps and does a much better job at setting the story and fleshing the characters, adn the battle is shown in a better way. My conquest takes place before that and is based on the first encounter between Yang and Reinhard
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Jan 29, 2010 1:25 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1
Is this anime as good as they say? Watched 5 min of the first episode and I have to say that it was a different type of anime.

Where is the best place to watch it?
 
Jan 31, 2010 3:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4377
^watch the first movie first :)
My conquest is the sea of stars
 
Feb 5, 2010 3:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1524
smokes said:
^watch the first movie first :)
My conquest is the sea of stars


ANd then watch the overture to the new war movie; criminally overlooked as an excellent intro
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Top
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »