Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 1 Discussion

Apr 18, 2016 6:13 PM

Is realizing the envelopment of his fleet is slow enough to allow him to attack the Republic fleets piecemeal supposed to demonstrate genius on Rheinhard's part? How could it be difficult to see this? How could the other commanders be so incompetent as to not know how fast a fleet can move?

Pretty dry stuff. I think it'd help if I had some idea of what the stakes were. What happens if one side or the other prevails?

The asides with that bald man were also awfully opaque. He's interested in the battle but there's no hint why. Why should I be interested?

May 28, 2016 6:17 PM

After years of procrastination, I finally gave in and decided to watch this because of all the praise this was getting.

Oh boy, it's going to take me forever to remember all the names/titles...At least I was already informed with some of the important characters so that's a start.

So far I'm liking Reinhard the most out of the characters. He's cleary a confident individual but he doesn't come off as too arrogant or an ass...I dig that.
As for Yang, he also seems very competent so that's great.

Ok start so far. Not gonna lie though, It was a little boring at times so hopefully it gets better.

Aug 6, 2016 7:39 AM

I'm rewatching these series. And I wanted to give some comments on each of the episodes. Don't worry, there won't be any spoilers. Now, let's start:
Everyone praises these series for the vastness of the storyline. And it's true: this story tries to picture the entire human history. But to me there's always something more vast - and that's our universe. Compared to that mankind and it's history is just too insignificant. So I really like to meet someone who understands that: Reinhard and Kircheis. But now these two start to discuss something far less romantic, no, I should say "exactly the opposite"...
I don't like how this episodes tries to make us think that the old people are stupid and the young ones are geniouses, just because the main characters are young and clever. Other than that I don't have anything to complain about. Even about animation. Because I know how hard it is to draw. If you look closely you'll find out that the art is quite decent. Take for example, that palace in Neue Sanssousi.
Next, we see Annerose and... How cruel it is of them (I'm talking about Kaiser and Lichtenlade) to be talking about her brother being surrounded by the force twice as big! She looks calm, but I'm sure she's worried!
Now let's move on to Yang and his rejected plan. It seems it's not the first time for him, but still it's not fair. "Too cautious" you say. Most of the battles were lost because of those who underestimate their opponent.
I'm sorry to see Lapp, Yang's friend, die so meaninglessly.
Omnia munda mundis

Aug 12, 2016 9:55 PM

Good but boring start. Expected it but this will be a long ride I guess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 18, 2016 2:18 PM

This was a pretty good episode. It got me excited a little bit to see what will happen next..

Oct 11, 2016 5:23 PM

Great start.
Only thing that is not great is the animation quality.
Art, Sounds, premise are all great.

Looking forward for this.

Oct 21, 2016 8:45 AM

I know I'm going to hurt me intentionally, but I was sick of waiting for the arrival of a subtitled version in my native language. So, as a start, the catapult narrative the viewer immediately on the battlefield, but you'll also meet other secondary issues such as the environment and not. Drawings, fine, and impressive soundtrack, like being at the theater.

Dec 4, 2016 3:21 AM

First episode, and i am happy, does not disappoint!!!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Dec 9, 2016 11:51 PM

Interesting, but I expected so much more. I was actually pretty bored by the half episode mark. The art was pretty consistent and detailed so I liked it. Although the animation was choppy sometimes.

I don't know if this was my fault or not, but the battle made no sense tbh. I'm interested enough to continue, but probably wont be watching it anytime soon.

Jan 18, 2017 12:32 PM

Ho..hoo...hooold on for one second: Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta) is voicing Reinhard ^^. This is just epic :D
Apart from that, this episode wasn't particularly amazing but I guess we need to get more context.

Feb 18, 2017 2:44 PM

Hm! So many people have been shown on the very first episode.

I don't understand why they are fighting for, not to mention the battles aren't clear that much.Hopefully it will explain all the stuff very perfectly.

Aug 29, 2017 1:40 AM
POOR YANG POOR YANG POOR YANG!

This first arc was my least favorite, cuz then I didn't really care about the characters or get engaged in the story.
But rewatching this is soooo nice. Seeing Kirheis, Poplan, Reuenthal... again is so nostalgic, and even hearing that "ginga no rekishi mata ichi page" is nostalgic tooo.

Anyway I didn't pay attention to how superb the writing is this early on. When the 2 Empire soldiers go to their tank sleep, even that trivial conversation is super super gold. Or the hologram image of Yang's friend's wife falling into the flame, or how annoying and believable the bureaucracy is on the Republic side.

Sep 13, 2017 4:15 PM

On the fence with this.

Sean_Nessman said:
Anyway I didn't pay attention to how superb the writing is this early on. When the 2 Empire soldiers go to their tank sleep, even that trivial conversation is super super gold.
Yeah like how for some reason they chose to explain to each other the mundane details of what they've been routinely doing for presumably the majority of their adult lives.

Like when I go to get gas, I make sure to explain in detail to the person next to me how I am, at that very moment, getting gas for my car and what the process involves. Typical, casual conversation that totally happens in real life.

I wouldn't call ham-fisted exposition "superb" writing, even if they throw in a little poetic line about nightmares at the end.

Oct 4, 2017 9:16 PM
Maori Madness

episode 1...

one thing that i found really hard was trying to read the names of the many characters while also reading the subtitles. i know that this series has a lot of characters, so it's going to be a challenge trying to remember them, if not only the main characters.

they were clearly in a winning position, but because of the commander's incompetence it went the wrong way where they ended up losing two of their fleets.

i can already see the brilliance in both of the young commanders, but personally i think i find yang as my favourite because he's a lot more reserved.

Oct 8, 2017 11:45 PM

1988 and this animation is better than nowadays.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 29, 2017 11:26 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

Well, this is the first step to a long journey. It's been years since I was first exposed to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and while I know a number of cursory information about this series, I've held off completing it due to high expectations and wanting to get into it after experiencing a good amount of other shows to better gauge how good LOTGH is.

The classical orchestra music checks out, I love the huge scale of the initial battle, and the emphasis on strategy for maneuvering the fleets over the soldiers' personal battles seem to frame this show as a war of numbers over emotion. But, again, this is only the first episode, so I'm looking forward to how this show develops.

Dec 23, 2017 12:48 PM

I have watched the two movies this week and started this now, the first episode was a recap of the second movie with some new scenes but still boring to watch because of I just watched two days ago, I think the second episode will a recap as well.

Dec 23, 2017 5:10 PM

Raizel said:
I have watched the two movies this week and started this now, the first episode was a recap of the second movie with some new scenes but still boring to watch because of I just watched two days ago, I think the second episode will a recap as well.

The second movie (Overture to a New Battle) is actually a remake of the first two episodes, not the other way round. They have some different scenes, but overall the movie version is considered as superior in terms of quality.

Jan 13, 2018 12:00 AM
Thanks to the AWC i'm getting a chance to watch this. The scale of things is amazing. And even though it's only been one episode I like where the characterization is going. I like Reinhard. I like Yenli. This is going to be good!

Apr 6, 2018 1:21 PM

Boring first episode. There is just a war going on and 2 armies fighting. I like the logistics of how the galactic empire decided to encounter each fleet individually than all at once. But the enemy commanders should have seen it coming. It is quite basic after all.

I hope each of the main characters have some depth to their character or motivations to win the war. We have seen one MC have his imouto/sister in politics, but nothing more than that. I hope that all the characters are not 2 dimensional. In fact, one of the general's death seemed to be the same. Dying with the photo of an unknown woman going off, what is she, his mistress? Nice use of romance as a plot device buddy.

If this series has no 3 dimensional battles and instead focuses on 2d terrain battles, it is gonna be boring. I get that they are in orbit around the planet, but wouldn't a 3d formation be better than a 2d formation? I would go for a triangular pyramidal formation, with the apex being the enemy fleet and the 3 points on the base being the own fleet, with the enemy fleet facing my own fleet at angles of 120 degrees each from their initial direction of motion. That way, if the enemy fleet tries to attack my fleet, the other 2 can focus on the enemy fleet from far off.

Are space fights really possible only in close range? And sound in space? They better give a good explanation like in Gundam.

How is the neutral planet gonna profit if the war ends??? War profiteers make a lot of profit than in normal times. Also those commanders are babies. Not willing to attack their own friends. What did they join the army for?
Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 11, 2018 11:05 PM
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴

Oh boi, so it begin...

Aug 28, 2018 3:01 AM

Looking over this thread, it's funny to see people mentioning at the start that LotGH was #1, and it's slowly dropped to #7 over ten years. I wonder what that means about MAL, and far less about anime in general.

Apr 13, 10:58 AM

Reinhard is very talented commander of the Galactic Empire. Because of his young age and his reckless plans, he has difficulty gaining the respect of the older military. However, he doesn't mind much because of his confident personality. We hear that even thought he won many battles many military legions have stopped following him. He is sure that if he keeps winning people will have to respect him. Some people begrudge him, thinking that he only achieved his position because of his noble birth.

Reinhard has an older sister and a loyal childhood friend Siegfried. Siegfried has promised the older sister to protect Reinhard.

Yang is a prodigious commander of the Free Planets Alliance. Even Reinhard has gained his respect from what he heard of his previous battles. Contrary to Reinhard, Yang doesn't occupy a high position in the military. Not being able to order everyone, he is limited to giving suggestions to the higher-ups. He also has a friend who respects him very much. This friend looks a him with a kind of respect that a student would have for a great teacher.

The Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance have been in war for over 150 years. The episode starts when a battle is about to begin. Reinhard's fleet has a considerable numbers disadvantage, however they are in an advantageous position. But this is not obvious and only Yang and Reinhard himself can see this. The Free Planets Alliance is divided in three smaller fleets and is trying to surround Reinhard's fleet. Reinhard fights one fleet at the time, destroying two of them and leaving only Yang's fleet left.

I really like the scale of the battles, with tens of thousands of ships and that is literally takes hours for the battles to happen. The battlefield is so huge that they have a fancy dining room inside of it. This "old-futuristic" aesthetic really appeals to me. I like the huge and vast intergalactic empires with European buildings and the giant technologically advanced spaceships without robots or AI. The ship designs are also good, mostly because of the classic feeling that it has. The cell animation also helps a lot. Classical music has never been better matched with space battles.

Its note worthy the amount of unique characters and relationships that get quickly established this episode. There were a lot. So many so, that I was kind of glad when Yang's sempai died with one of the fleets that got destroyed--minus one characters to keep track. Well, but now there is his fiance... so I guess 1 for 1. And there were also a few shots drawing attention to certain characters, who will be significant in the future, but haven't had a single line yet.

I watched the first six episodes of this show a few years ago. I remember being really impressed with this first battle. (Mainly in comparison with start of the last battle between Lelouch and Schneizel in R2, which felt contrived, with the characters describing the strategic genius behind how they positioned their fleets, without the audience being able to make sense of the significance of their choices.) Upon re-watching this feels a lot less clever than I remember. It is, however, still pretty good. Its simple to follow what is happening and we can clearly see the motives behind the characters strategic choices--even thought they seemed too short-sighted and emotional for military personel at times.

The Japanese for this anime is difficult to follow for me at times. Having Japanese subtitles helps a lot and I would recommend for anyone considering watching this. I really like the way Reinhard speaks, how he changes between talking with Siegfried and talking with the older military personel. I like this older-sounding Japanese.
Modified by Abajur, Apr 13, 11:36 AM

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]