Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 29, 2009 9:30 AM

May 2009
I thought people were joking saying this show was good. Now this show is pretty fucking intense. Fleets blowing up and shit. The story is also pretty interesting. Reinhard is the shit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2009 12:05 AM

Mar 2008
You can joke stating that Mars of Destruction is the best show one have ever seen but when a few hundred people are saying that a 110 episodes show about Germans in space fighting with huge spaceships is awesome and EPIC, you can guess that there is no irony behind those words. ;)
Sep 10, 2009 9:52 PM

Jan 2009
Moya said:
You can joke stating that Mars of Destruction is the best show one have ever seen but when a few hundred people are saying that a 110 episodes show about Germans in space fighting with huge spaceships is awesome and EPIC, you can guess that there is no irony behind those words. ;)

Let me tell you something, I laughed my ass off for around... I'd say 4-6 minutes in a row nonstop with your comment, I coulnd't even breath for a few seconds. Anyway..

I really, but really don't have problems with the animation, I'm quite clearly stating this given out the fact that it is very old and taking in mind the budget as well. Well so far... It doesn't impress me that much, a lot of characters intruduced, okay, quite silly tactics and good reasons of war, the FPA and the Galactic Empire, okay... really, its all FUCKING OKAY. It's just the first episode anyway, I'm not reaching to conclusions after all but I wanna know definetly what's the hype all about LotgH.

Starting it right now.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 22, 2009 5:42 PM

Nov 2007
hmm not a bad episode, I wasn't bored or anything and seeing as I recently watched Hajime no Ippo the animation doesn't really impact me, this should be an interesting series =]
Sep 29, 2009 6:08 PM

Feb 2009
I heard a lot of good things about LOGH and someone recommend it if you like Guin Saga. I am so tired off all these mindless anime flying around I need something to sink my teeth in and I hope that anime would be it.
Sep 29, 2009 6:27 PM

Jan 2008
Ok, see this quote below from a guy a few posts above?

Mikiyo said:
Well so far... It doesn't impress me that much, a lot of characters intruduced, okay, quite silly tactics and good reasons of war, the FPA and the Galactic Empire, okay... really, its all FUCKING OKAY. It's just the first episode anyway, I'm not reaching to conclusions after all but I wanna know definetly what's the hype all about LotgH.

Starting it right now.

He was reduced to tears by the end of the OVA.

Mikiyo from last episode thread said:
I'm just speechless at the moment, just beyond comprehension, the greatest opera I've seen in my life so far, I just can't find a sentence to describe what I wanna really say (I wonder if there is anyway), Amazingly Epic? Ridiculously Awesome? Or maybe an Extraordinary Masterpiece?

Another day, another endorsement of LotGH.

*walks off into sunset*
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 29, 2009 9:01 PM

Nov 2007
tainteddonut said:

----------------------------------------
I could tell I'm going to have trouble remembering all those names. I might have to write some of them down ^^;.

LOL this
Oct 1, 2009 10:50 PM

Jan 2009
MaxCrazy7 said:
I heard a lot of good things about LOGH and someone recommend it if you like Guin Saga. I am so tired off all these mindless anime flying around I need something to sink my teeth in and I hope that anime would be it.

Beatnik said:
Ok, see this quote below from a guy a few posts above?

As Beatnik says, you will find your needle in the barn. It will suck out your attention so much that you won't even know what the hell happened, as soon as you sink your teeth into LotgH you won't be able to extract them anymore.

Oct 4, 2009 12:05 AM

Jan 2009
I'm interested in watching this eventually. What's the best fansub? I tried central but it's in tiny resolution, but is that the best i'm going to get?
Oct 4, 2009 8:36 AM

Jan 2009
KritikalMotion said:
I'm interested in watching this eventually. What's the best fansub? I tried central but it's in tiny resolution, but is that the best i'm going to get?
CentralAnime.

Oct 5, 2009 5:26 PM

Jan 2008
does this series pick up pace? I started it cause its #1 on the site and keep hearing good things about it.. but didn't find the battle scenes particularly interesting in the first eps xD does it get better?
Oct 5, 2009 5:46 PM

Feb 2005
It gets a lot better yes. But it's still rather slow, though mostly because there's so much going on.
But by the end the plot will have gone through more twists and turns than you'd find in most other series, and good twists at that.

If anything, you could always fast forward through the battles.
Oct 11, 2009 6:32 PM

Jan 2008
amade0 said:
does this series pick up pace? I started it cause its #1 on the site and keep hearing good things about it.. but didn't find the battle scenes particularly interesting in the first eps xD does it get better?

Since you used "xD", I don't think that this anime is for you. It's #1 on the site not because it's popular, but because most of the people who have seen it have rated it high.
Oct 12, 2009 2:44 AM

Mar 2009
amade0 said:

It takes forever, but it does. The characters may not even become likable until ep. 10. The battles are usually the most boring parts anyway, I suspect moreso if classical music isn't your thing. At the very least, though, the instances of best character banter ever that start popping up between Yang's subordinates around the middle are worth waiting for.
Oct 12, 2009 6:18 AM

Jan 2008
I wouldnt call the battles 'boring'. The action is boring, but this isnt an action anime anyway. The battles are exciting because they're smart and epic.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 12, 2009 3:58 PM

Oct 2009
I just started on this series, and finished ep. 3 today. I like this... yeah the names are really hard to remember, but the scale of this series really does seem huge. I admit that the first episode was pretty slow but I've never seen an anime (or any tv show for that matter) really take the trouble to build up entire civilizations with their own political views and customs and do so convincingly. Pretty ambitious but I'm willing to believe that LoGH wouldn't have beaten out all the fanboys to #1 on this webpage if it didn't work in the end. I have high expectations.

If nothing else, this series has done something totally unique in the history of anime by showing a bunch of masked hoodlums attempting to beat a woman while Mahler's 6th symphony plays in the background. Priceless!
Oct 15, 2009 6:10 PM

Mar 2008
BluMeino said:
amade0 said:

Since you used "xD", I don't think that this anime is for you.

Made me smile.
Oct 25, 2009 2:03 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:

Another day, another endorsement of LotGH.

*walks off into sunset*

LMAO!! HAHAHA

and whoever says the series is too serious...cmon did you not see the second ep when an admiral goes against Reinhards orders....
Its like...
"the admiral is disaobeying orders"
Reinhard: WHATs that fool doin? does he want to die..
*the guy dies in the next second*
Reinhard: Serves him right
XD

I mean...there a lot of scenes where I actually smiled or laughed even though they werent exactly humorous. Dont take me the wrong way, I'm not making fun of it...its just that I was enjoying it too much (only seen the first 4 eps and 2 movies).
eyerokOct 25, 2009 2:13 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 25, 2009 6:19 AM

Feb 2005
It also has a number of brilliantly funny conversations. So I wouldn't call it too serious either.
Oct 25, 2009 6:30 AM

Oct 2007
Baman said:
It also has a number of brilliantly funny conversations. So I wouldn't call it too serious either.

The brilliantly funny conversations comes from sarcasm about their government in which it's level is even more dangerous than that of Kyon.

Seriously, check LoGH funnies thread after you finished.
Oct 25, 2009 1:03 PM

Mar 2008
ShinRA said:
Baman said:

The brilliantly funny conversations comes from sarcasm about their government in which it's level is even more dangerous than that of Kyon.

Seriously, check LoGH funnies thread after you finished.

LOGH funnies is indeed a great thread.
Nov 18, 2009 9:25 AM

Apr 2009
So, I finally decided to give it a try :) We'll see if it's worth the second overall place.
So far so good - although nothing can really be said about a series that long after its first episode...but one thing I can tell for sure: it's a good thing they put the names on the screen. With that many characters it would be easy to confuse me xP
And honestly, I didn't feel like the animation is bad. It looks old, yes, but bad?... For me it's the same with games: when graphics are nice - cool. When they're not, I'm okay with that. I need an enticing story and characters I'll feel like crying after if they ever die, not pretty drawings.
Also, Reinhard's voice in particular is niiice x3 (Yes, that's an important factor for a voice freak like me xD)
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 21, 2009 5:07 PM

May 2009
Definitely a lot faster pace than the movie "Overture to a New War", not showing a lot of stuff that was in the movie. Maybe it'll be shown in flashbacks later in the OVA, that's for me to find out, durrr.
Anyway, LoGH is looking very interesting so far, but I'm afraid that I might lose interest if it becomes to slow. I hope it will keep me interested though!

I suggest that everyone should watch the three movies before watching this, to get a nice background story, and some better insight on the situation. It's not completely necessary, but I recommend doing so. But then again, there will probably be background story etc in the actual OVA as well.
Dec 11, 2009 12:17 PM

Apr 2009
that was a great episode.. it was already exciting lol..
the dialogs will probably rock here....

but man, i love the opening and the ending :(((
i listened it for like 10 times in a row )
that woman's voice is superb)
i should download the opening/ending song, if i can find them D:
Dec 13, 2009 8:01 AM
Oct 2009
man the first half was so boring...there was no introduction.. every1 just spoke with a monotone... but in language i dont understand...i felt like i was in a chemistry class all over again...i actually felt asleep at 10:21....and just finished the episode this morning...but the 2nd half was pretty good..ill stick with this for a while....
Free_CandyDec 13, 2009 8:04 AM
Dec 17, 2009 10:04 PM

Apr 2009
Wasn't too exciting for me right off but I think I could begin to like it. I hear you have to give this one a little time to kick into awesome mode.
Dec 17, 2009 10:59 PM

Jan 2009
Drgentile777 said:
Wasn't too exciting for me right off but I think I could begin to like it. I hear you have to give this one a little time to kick into awesome mode.

Mhmm you do, i remember thinking after the first few episodes. WOW this show is overrated, why do so many people praise it? Stuck it out and it literally became the best anime i have ever seen.
Dec 17, 2009 11:43 PM

Sep 2008
Drgentile777 said:

The first two episodes are bad. The reason is they are too rushed and too little time is given to a lot of scenes. If you give it a fair chance though, theres a good chance you'll love it. The movie 'overtures to the new war' is a retelling of the first 2 episodes and is a much better version.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 18, 2009 12:20 PM

Apr 2009
^ the first 2 episodes are very good -_-
btw you must see the movie first.
Dec 19, 2009 12:34 AM

Sep 2008
yea I had a lot of fun watching the first two eps, but mostly for the wrong reasons cuz, Honestly, they were too rushed. The pace was messed up. Some of the scenes turned out to be unintentionally funny and compared to the movie its a bit shabby. I saw the movie afterwords and I thought that's where I should have started.
Dec 28, 2009 3:41 PM

Sep 2009
I liked it, resembles Star Wars.
Dec 29, 2009 6:44 AM

Sep 2008
-LU- said:
I liked it, resembles Star Wars.

how? they are both set in space, yes, but I think they are poles apart
Dec 29, 2009 6:51 AM

Jan 2008
It's a reach for sure, the biggest resemblance is empire v rebels in space. It's more like Star Trek Generations than Star Wars, in terms of atmosphere and attention to details, but at the end of the day LotGH is unlike anything else out there in the visual medium.

There's no way LotGH the live action TV series or movie could be made in today's climate. It's too talky for the masses. Although having said that, and although I haven't read them yet, but the fantasy series A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin is being made for TV by HBO, and from what I understand they're not typical fantasy books either. So I guess anything's possible.
Jan 10, 2010 4:45 PM

Aug 2009
have finally gotten around go watching the first episode of this!

well it looks pretty good. I am excited to see how similar it really is to code geass, since people are always comparing them and saying LoGH is better, I want to see for myself, so onto the next ep I guess :)
Jan 11, 2010 12:35 AM

Sep 2008
tizara said:

I'd recommend watching 'My conquest is the sea of stars' and 'overture to the new war' movies first.
Jan 14, 2010 2:15 AM

May 2008
eyerok said:
tizara said:

I'd recommend watching 'My conquest is the sea of stars' and 'overture to the new war' movies first.

I'll consider this, though it feels strange to go for watching a movie of a show first.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how this battle was won and lost. But I figure I will soon enough.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 15, 2010 1:37 AM

Sep 2008
ukonkivi said:
eyerok said:
tizara said:

I'll consider this, though it feels strange to go for watching a movie of a show first.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how this battle was won and lost. But I figure I will soon enough.

They're both a much better introduction than the first 2 episodes. Overtures is an extended version of the first two eps and does a much better job at setting the story and fleshing the characters, adn the battle is shown in a better way. My conquest takes place before that and is based on the first encounter between Yang and Reinhard
Jan 29, 2010 1:25 PM
May 2009
Is this anime as good as they say? Watched 5 min of the first episode and I have to say that it was a different type of anime.

Where is the best place to watch it?
Jan 31, 2010 3:11 AM

Apr 2009
^watch the first movie first :)
My conquest is the sea of stars
Feb 5, 2010 3:16 AM

Sep 2008
smokes said:

ANd then watch the overture to the new war movie; criminally overlooked as an excellent intro
Feb 5, 2010 1:09 PM

Apr 2009
eyerok said:
smokes said:

ANd then watch the overture to the new war movie; criminally overlooked as an excellent intro

eh i didnt watch that movie :(
Beatnik said that the first movie then the series to watch...
anyway i hope i didnt loose anything there)
Feb 5, 2010 1:19 PM

Jan 2008
smokes said:
eh i didnt watch that movie :(
Beatnik said that the first movie then the series to watch...
anyway i hope i didnt loose anything there)

Don't worry, Oveture is just an extended uncut version of the first two episodes, so I don't think we've missed anything essential. Still probably worth checking out at some point for the Uber Completist Fans of LotGH (tm)
Feb 5, 2010 2:01 PM

Apr 2009
^yeah) already downloaded them all)
Feb 5, 2010 10:37 PM

Sep 2008
true...you wouldn't be missing anything essential if you just watch the main series. But as an intro I found it as good as My conquest is the sea of stars, if not better. Its everything the first two episodes should have been. Its battle of Astate at its finest. Plus we get to see some yang wenli slice-of-life :P
Of the three prequel movies, Overture's would easily be my favorite
eyerokFeb 5, 2010 10:40 PM
Feb 14, 2010 2:40 AM

Jun 2009
Bore fest. This better live up to all the Hullabaloo.
Jul 15, 2010 2:52 PM
Jun 2010
This show looks promising.

I have one question though: How did the blondie defeat the other guys battleship even though he had less battleship than them ? I understood he took out one group (how?) then destroyed another group after it.

I hope the rest of the show won't be that vague...

Jul 15, 2010 3:33 PM

Feb 2010
I'd recommend you to watch the movie Ouverture to a new war instead of the first 2 episodes. It's basically a better, less rushed version of the first 2 episodes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 15, 2010 4:20 PM

Jun 2008
I haven't seen this show since 2008, but tonight, I have decided to rewatch it all (not in one night, obvious). I'm holding off for a few hours, just to be build suspense. I'll probably start with Overture to a New War instead of the first two eps.
Jul 15, 2010 10:55 PM

Oct 2007
supersayen said:

I have one question though: How did the blondie defeat the other guys battleship even though he had less battleship than them ? I understood he took out one group (how?) then destroyed another group after it.

If I remember it right, the battle is all about simple math, because even though the alliance have forces 3 times of the empire, they divide it into 3 small forces, in order to surround the imperial forces. However reinhard knows this, and immediately orders his soldiers to eliminate those small forces one by one, instead of retreating/ and waiting to be surrounded.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do know a whole of imperial forces outnumbers those small forces alliance divided.
Jul 16, 2010 10:03 AM
Jun 2010
ShinRA said:
supersayen said:

If I remember it right, the battle is all about simple math, because even though the alliance have forces 3 times of the empire, they divide it into 3 small forces, in order to surround the imperial forces. However reinhard knows this, and immediately orders his soldiers to eliminate those small forces one by one, instead of retreating/ and waiting to be surrounded.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do know a whole of imperial forces outnumbers those small forces alliance divided.

Actually they never explained it clearly in this episode. Anyway, thanks for the rec Higashi_no_Kaze, I just finished the movie and things made perfectly sense (not to mention character introduction was much better).

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.