Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 25, 2008 9:38 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, poor Kai. Everyone has to lose someone on this show. I thought the whole spy plot was mishandled and made Kai either look like a traitor or a bufoon, but still it was nice to see him get some development.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 29, 2008 4:14 PM

Oct 2007
Another one bites the dust. So many people dying in this show xD, but yeah it was good to see more out of Kai, since up till now he's basically just been an a-hole.

Nov 21, 2009 10:09 AM

Oct 2009
The series's creator is nicknamed "Kill em All Tomino" @_@

Feel sympathetic for Kai, but he was way too lenient with a known traitor. He let her give away Whito Base's destination for christ's sake.
JuicyBuddhaNov 21, 2009 10:24 AM
Feb 28, 2010 2:20 PM

May 2009
I kind of wanted Miharu to join the White Base, but she died..

Monkey_D_Luffy said:
but yeah it was good to see more out of Kai, since up till now he's basically just been an a-hole.
I agree.
Mar 29, 2010 4:17 PM

Apr 2009
I thought Kai was joking around with her at first, but wow. I knew that she was gonna get killed off anyho.
And it's pretty ballsy to go out in a huge battlefield with just a Gunparry.
Jul 25, 2010 8:04 AM

Aug 2009
This episode gets 5/5 simply for making me actually feel sorry for Kai. Up until the last episode, I really disliked him (I still liked him more than Amuro though, aha) I actually like him now.

Miharu was a really admirable character too.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 29, 2010 11:49 AM

May 2008
I saw this coming but I hoped that it wouldn't happen. I feel so sorry for Kai, I kind of like him now, he got a lot of development in the last couple of episodes~
Poor Miharu, she was indeed and admirable character, I also hoped that she'll join the WB...
Oct 23, 2010 9:01 AM

Aug 2009
Aww :( Poor Kai... He's definitely a more likeable character now anyway. I wonder what will become of the children?
Dec 23, 2010 10:50 PM

Sep 2009
Awww. I'm pretty sure everyone saw that coming from a mile away.
Still sad.
Feb 9, 2011 2:15 PM

Apr 2008
What exactly happened to Miharu?! Did the missile exhaust blow her away?
May 7, 2012 12:39 AM
May 2011
It was heart-wrenching to see Kai break down and cry. I haven't disliked him at all since his off-putting jokes in the first five episodes. I think Kai knew that Miharu didn't have it in her heart to do any serious damage, so he was prepared to leave her in SA. He handled it like a man.
Jun 22, 2012 1:43 AM

Jan 2012
I felt so bad for Kai near the end when he was broken down. Stark contrast to when Ryu died where everyone was crying. I mean Bright was on all fours balling his eyes out. It seemed he developed feelings for Miharu when he shouted out "Why did you leave me?!"

Wonder what will come of the kids.
Sep 7, 2012 2:57 PM

Apr 2010
Miharu's death was handled well.
Kai was not too smart to cover up a spy. It's better to have her arrested than dead.
Dec 26, 2012 1:12 AM

Jun 2009
The best death so far, I'd have to say. Tomino definitely earns his nickname in this series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 14, 2013 3:25 PM

Nov 2011
Oh, Kai. How obvious does a spy have to be for you to notice? He was pretty awesome while defending Miharu, though. This is the first death to effect me so far. (I must admit taking screens of Bright crying and Bright on his knees crying while surrounding with the remaining cast after Ryo's death while laughing a lil'. :s Poor kiddies.) I bet Kai's going to grow up a bit as a result of this episode. :(
Aug 24, 2013 9:09 PM

Nov 2012
Miharus death was done so much better in the movie, still I like how it was handled here too.
Nov 8, 2013 1:29 PM

Jan 2010
Saw it coming but it still hurt. Kai is becoming one of my favorites.
Nov 12, 2013 1:49 AM
May 2013
Pheefa said:
This episode gets 5/5 simply for making me actually feel sorry for Kai.

I thought Kai is going to die, I expected that from the last episode.
Jan 14, 2014 7:44 PM
Aug 2011
One of the best deaths so far. Feels so wrong to type that.

I saw this coming but I still wonder about her little brother and sister, poor kids.

This show was losing me earlier but since Char appeared again it it's been getting better.

Also Kai went down the stairs like a boss. Reminds me of Char's epic gun kick way back in the beginning.
Mar 11, 2014 11:35 AM

Mar 2013
The deaths in this series are way too horrible. Poor Miharu fell off the fucking plane man. I feel sorry for Kai ):
May 28, 2014 4:23 PM
Jan 2013
Glad she died, thought she will join the crew for a sec there. Kai should've died with her.
Jun 20, 2014 3:19 AM

Jul 2009
Wow just wow O___O

Amazing episode!! Definitely one of the best for sure!!

Though i'm surprise how Bright didn't felt weird on how a random fisherman plane just came in out of nowhere for some refueling.

Still damn these Zeon spies. How the hell do they get in here in the first place? Remember the general when Amuro followed? Then Miharu and now those two pilot planes.

Lol that general said he wants to Gogg to attack the white base, but he really wanted to avenge his fallen brothers.

Guess Miharu couldn't bear seeing her actions getting the White Base in danger.

Especially how her sister and brothers are safe for now.

She basically got careless. Especially how she was laughing just because she was able to get to the handle computer.

If only she knew the risk, she could have at least held onto something.

Though her death was really foreshadowed when she tries to go into battle just to repay for what she did.

Never seen Kai cry like that. Not even Ryu's death made him like that.

Do like the 80s portrait art when he sits alone as they talk.

Yeah that's Tomino "Kill em all" for you :P

I heard Zeta is even more worse as well as Gundam Victory or so i heard.

Can't wait for next episode!! More Char please!!!
Feb 5, 2015 6:43 PM

Feb 2013
Kai almost scores one...

Miharu! Nooooo!
She was the best girl so far... here's hoping for a Sunrise-resurrection.
I actually care that she "died".
Mar 2, 2015 10:16 PM
May 2012
Stop with the flashbacks and the screaming already, those things completely break the mood > ~ < At least this time the flashbacks were original content, but still...

Kai is still one of the best characters in the show - I wonder how this will affect him in following episodes.

May 7, 2015 4:37 PM

Jun 2014
I'm not sure how should I feel about Kai. He betrayed his comrades twice and put White Base in danger by telling informations to Miharu. I'm disappointed he didn't admit that Miharu was a spy and he sold informations about White Base . I don't feel sorry for him.
I'm sad for Miharu's death because she have two siblings waiting for her. But I don't really care that she's gone.
May 7, 2015 4:38 PM

Jun 2014
I'm not sure how should I feel about Kai. He betrayed his comrades twice and put White Base in danger by telling informations to Miharu. I'm disappointed he didn't admit that Miharu was a spy and he sold informations about White Base . I don't feel sorry for him.
I'm sad for Miharu's death because she have two siblings waiting for her. But I don't really care that she's gone.
Jul 20, 2015 7:37 PM

Nov 2011
While I do think letting her be is pretty stupid from a logical standpoint, emotionally speaking I can understand why Kai would sympathize.

I can't say Miharu's death had a big impact on me, but it was better handled than some of the previous ones.
Nov 25, 2015 1:56 AM

Jul 2013
Why the fuck are these suits such a deathtrap. It seems that even if you get a scratch these things go A-bomb and there's no way to pilot escape.
Dec 17, 2015 3:25 PM
Dec 2014
JuicyBuddha said:
The series's creator is nicknamed "Kill em All Tomino" @_@

Feel sympathetic for Kai, but he was way too lenient with a known traitor. He let her give away Whito Base's destination for christ's sake.

Women are great spies for a reason. Men will do anything for a pretty face.

It is why Gamestop employs them.
Dec 17, 2015 3:26 PM
Dec 2014
Kuruwin said:
Why the fuck are these suits such a deathtrap. It seems that even if you get a scratch these things go A-bomb and there's no way to pilot escape.

Yeah I never understood why Gundam never shows pilots using escape pods. Making new mobile suits is a lot easier than training new pilots.
Jan 4, 2016 12:11 PM
Nov 2015
I liked this one a lot.

My two favorite bits outside of Kai's break down at the end had to do with eyes. 1. The kid's rainbow colored eyes when he got knocked to his butt from a missle blast and 2. Miharu's cute cross eyed look when she was figured out the bombing panel. I fell in love with her a little myself then.
May 25, 2016 7:07 AM

Jul 2008
Wow Kai got some sympathy points from me...bravo show bravo.
Jun 7, 2016 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that is literally flew, I wanted something more in terms of history, but also so enough is enough. Sad events narrated, was not quite clear at the beginning, but as a harbinger of doom hovered on the character of Miharu, how sad to see her die, but the thing that makes me angry is the lightness of Kai in dealing with the war, as well as the Bright's inexperience in the military, Zeon subtly penetrates the White Base, but also fools them, do not understand the deception. It will be the good time that Kai, change the way he put himself in front of the war? I hope so. Great the battle, was engrossing.
Jul 24, 2016 9:37 AM

May 2012
Damn another death :/ and even though she was a spy she seemed quite a fun character, I'm sorry for the brother and sister she left behind!
Oct 6, 2016 7:08 AM

Jun 2013
Aww, poor Miharu and Poor Kai, tbh her death has affected me a lot more than the others since Kai's reaction seemed much more genuine and not super forced.
Apr 24, 2017 7:05 AM

Feb 2012
I don't like how willing Kai was in helping a spy, but it was sad to see him lose someone.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Mobile Armor kill this episode
35 kills total
Sep 23, 2017 7:32 AM
Jul 2017
Phaetons_Folly said:
I don't like how willing Kai was in helping a spy, but it was sad to see him lose someone.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Mobile Armor kill this episode
35 kills total

Good thing White Base just happens to have a full compliment of Gundam parts on board. And the crew necessary to repair it before reaching Jaburo. White Base took a beating too.
Nov 3, 2017 11:25 PM

May 2015
Oh cool, maybe Kai will finally stop being such a prick all the time now that he's lost someone he cared about.
Mar 31, 2018 8:33 AM

Nov 2016
You could see see it coming,but I was still shouting out loud"Oh Shit" when it happened.

Pretty sad end..poor Kai and poor siblings.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 14, 2019 8:52 AM

Feb 2017
Zeons have their own accent? I never noticed since I'm not familiar enough with Japanese...I wonder if that was a trait they had since the beginning or if it was just brought up for the first time this episode?
Sep 3, 2019 8:08 PM

Apr 2014
and then another is dead and i was just starting to like Miharu to but as soon as she realized what she was doing and wanted to help i knew it was to good to be true not to mention it was pretty much building up to her getting killed

would have been nice for her and her brother and sister to join the group but damn sad to see what happened to her
"one step at a time"
Mar 3, 2020 12:53 PM

May 2018
What a strange episode...

Firstly the Gundam launching with 2 shields, and now Kai suddenly becoming a likeable character? Wowee
Oct 17, 2020 11:31 PM

Jun 2016
I think this was the best emotional payoff in the series. A part of me didn't think we would get episodes like this, that there would always be an air of clumsiness to Gundam. But the way we explored and spent time with Kai and Miharu, fleshing them out, made for a hard episode to stomach.

I think at the core of what we saw here, there was compassion between humans. The side they were working for did not matter. Kai knew she was a spy, yet he saw what she was working for. He sheltered her. And when Miharu saw the destruction she was helping cause, and the kids she was endangering, she supported Kai. A Federation soldier sheltering a Zeon spy and a Zeon spy helping a Federation soldier. This painted a picture of humans struggling and supporting each other, the enemy being the situation, magnificently.

And go back to my first paragraph, I think this was well executed. Kai has become one of my favorite characters in the anime without a doubt. Through these two episodes we got to see how much he really cares about the people around him; perhaps to a fault, we saw his softer side, his compassion, as well as his intelligence. He acts cynical but he is quick at picking up what's going on. Miharu on the other hand had that heartfelt goodbye to her siblings last episode, a death flag for sure. Like Kai, she had a huge heart, and she used her cunning to support her family. The two are similar in the fact that the mask they need to wear is a lot tougher than they actually are.

So we painted that whole picture, Kai got to meet her brother and sister and sympathized with her struggle, and Miharu joined him in combat. And although it was not a shock that she would die, the way she did was horrifying. There is no solace in this, she flies off of the ship, and Kai unknowingly celebrates. It's a death which feels real, people disappear, especially in war, I'd imagine. One look away and someone's life could be gone, something you only learn about later. We are frail. To have Kai become so vulnerable and open as he breaks down, coming from such a cynical character, felt heavy.

It all creates a crushing weight, an image of the brother and sister waiting at home to never see Miharu again. The image that all of the compassion and teamwork in the world couldn't amount to anything, life is frail, and war is cruel. That is why I found it the best episode yet. Kai is really, really good.
Nov 1, 2020 6:58 AM

Aug 2017
I like the development of Kai as a character, it was obvious that Miharu was going to die and the way she died was quite consistent.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 8, 2021 10:36 PM

Jul 2017
Miharu's death was kind of weird (why would there be no security on that plane [or maybe there should be and she just didn't know?]), but I really liked seeing Kai's development and Miharu's harsh choices about supporting her family.
Feb 28, 2021 9:01 PM
Feb 2020
If miharu had been very heavily brainwashed and then had had a mind control chip implanted in her brain and then been hypnotized and then had a spell placed on her to enslave her mind ... I could ... maybe ... supress an eyeroll or two watching the events, decisions, life choices and character motives from her and Kai.

Thrown off a ship at high altitude is a fitting end for Miharu and it IRL every thing Kai did = Firing Squad or Life Imprisonment

This sequence of events was all made possible by the Federation just letting Kai walk off base. Whn Federation Law is Civilians with Top Secret Millitary Information can not just quit and walk out of top secret army units. If he was leaving. Bright had Gen Revils instructions. You quit. You go to jail immediately. And stay there for at least a year (Gen Revil reduced the time from life in prison to 1 year for the people on WB just as he saved Bright from getting court martialed on condition he doesn't quit WB).

Theres a recurring theme here with Federation Security. (The Federation really has swiss cheese security)

After they caught one of their Top Generals spying and his spy accomplice just flying in and flying out of Zeon army bases without even trying to hide it you would think they would tighten up security.

But civilians are allowed to mingle with the people on the federations most classified weapons testing program. Like they're not even trying. A metal detector sweep would have caught the spy with the gun hidden in her basket hanging around the base. The blonde haired kid on WB allowing the Zeon iniltrator to leave the room to go to the toilet when he'd been told to not let them leave the room for any reason........ Granted he's a kid but he didn't even try to contact the bridge / Bright to communiate the request of the Zeon in disguise which went against what Bright told him to do.

Also WB staying nice and low within perfect misile range from the submarines and stuff. There have been a few times when WB could have evaded heavy hits just raising altitude to fly above the effective range of zeon anti-air missiles.

They explained that in some terrain flying low reduces the power of enemy beam attacks (If the enemy is attacking with airships). But if the enemy is attacking from the ground up or the sea up... especially when it's at sea where gun tank and guncannon are useless WB really should just fly way up high when they see Zeon subs on the radar.
Jul 31, 2021 6:24 AM

Oct 2012
I really wanted to believe Kai would intentionally give false information to a freaking spy instead of literally telling her military secrets, but nope, the mad lad didn't care at all.

Miharu's turnaround was pretty cool though and her death wasn't in vain.

Amuro's fight in this episode was lame as hell. He just won because his enemy was distracted for a sec and he just insta-killed him with a beam saber stab. Meh.
Mar 15, 2022 8:33 AM

Jun 2009
i like how these last couple of episodes have been about kai. good stuff.
Aug 10, 2022 7:00 PM
Dec 2015
Like the previous episode, Kai ended up selling another information that actually cost life to a few white base men (you can see them hit by a missile)

He said it was just little information but it feels like it made the difference. Doesn't he give a care about this?

It could have been all avoided but there are casualties and he gets away with nothing?

Bullshit

Miharu's death was pretty stupid but i feel bad for her, so far she was the best girl in the series imho

Nov 1, 2022 1:55 AM

May 2019
Kai initially either had compassion for Miharu caring for her brother and sister or he just wanted some girl action. I feel SO terrible for her and her situation but it shows all the more how great this show is at revealing war and the lengths people will go to for survival, care of their loved ones and the atrocities of war. Hopefully Kai's grief will finally lead to some character development for him.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.