Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2010 3:25 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The great thing about Maison Ikkoku is that, after all the drama, it ends in a way that should leave everyone happy and satisfied. I know the anime doesn't end as good because of Kyoko's lines being cut resulting in her never verbally expressing her love for Godai, but not even that mattered too much when you'd have to be a complete idiot not to realize how much she loves him, after all of her jealous tantrums.

Godai's grandmother looked out for him throughout the story, in her own way, and it made me a little teary-eyed when she gave Kyoko her wedding ring and thanked her for taking him as her husband; allowing her to rest easy... before resuming insulting him to his face.

Time to go and finish the anime, watch the extras, and then re-read the final three volumes of the manga, I guess... it's almost depressing I've finished it so soon; me having gone on TWO 30ish episode marathons. No matter how much Kyoko's actions around Mitaka anger and frustrate me, detracting from the experience, I'll never be able to hate the series. It's a true classic, and one of the few stories that can make me truly emotional.
Dec 27, 2010 9:48 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Granma Godai is just such a great character. She's really the only one who always believes in Godai and does all she can to help him help himself. Her giving Kyoko her ring is a truly poignant moment.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 19, 2012 6:50 AM

Sep 2008
Just when I was starting to really enjoy the episode... the three most obnoxious characters crashed the party. Augh. I'm pretty sure I understood very well how Godai felt at the moment!

Anyway, this was a great episode with Godai's grandmother. Not sure if I can forgive how annoying she was in earlier episodes, but at least she had a few nice moments in this episode. She did, after all, kind of have her own way of looking after Godai throughout the series, as AironicallyHuman said.
Feb 8, 2012 5:09 AM

Oct 2011
oh my god! the pay-off at last! best romance manga/anime of all time! had already read the manga, so i knew the ending, but it was still beautiful the see the engagement - it really felt special after waiting for 94 episodes, but the ride was great! it's been a long time since i really broke up emotionally like that while watching anime and i almost don't want to watch the last episode, because: no more left.................
Feb 8, 2012 5:13 AM

Oct 2011
Marzan said:
Granma Godai is just such a great character. She's really the only one who always believes in Godai and does all she can to help him help himself. Her giving Kyoko her ring is a truly poignant moment.
agree! obaasan was always one of my very favorite characters - the tough but tiny obaasan is one of my favorite recurring characters in japanese anime/manga..........
Jul 19, 2012 2:44 PM

Oct 2009
octal9 said:
Marzan said:
agree! obaasan was always one of my very favorite characters - the tough but tiny obaasan is one of my favorite recurring characters in japanese anime/manga..........

Yes obaasan really played an important role in this roller-coaster anime, another great ep, I'm glad she didn't really die, she has quite the sense of humor lol.
Happy to see how well everyone accepted Kyoko. One more ep! Hopefully they give us one hell of a wedding!
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Jul 19, 2012 2:47 PM

Oct 2009
Interesting that Kyoko signed Mitaka's tennis racquet using the name Otonashi instead of either her maiden name or Godai's name.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Aug 5, 2013 5:36 PM
Aug 2007
Another great episode. Godai's Grandma is an awesome person.

BTW, anyone planning to watch the 1 hour "Final Chapter" OVA, I'd recommend watching it now, before going on to ep96. This is because the OVA is set a few days before the events of ep96, and even though it is mostly filler it will be more enjoyable to watch in this order I think.
RaiteiAug 6, 2013 6:43 AM
Oct 22, 2015 7:41 AM
May 2015
I've to admit that this is the first time in a anime there are episodes after proposing. Most of the other anime just ends with the proposing. This kind of realistic essence is very hard to find, I'm also sad because only one episode is left.
Jan 3, 2016 10:52 PM

Dec 2014
Granma godai is awesome. a very chilling grandma I say
Aug 11, 2016 11:29 PM

Jan 2013
Another pleasant episode, there haven't been any misunderstandings.
Jul 4, 2017 4:50 PM

May 2009
If Granny Godai had die right there, it would have been the saddest episode, but it was just a prank lol ( but still kind of mean since Godai got riled up). The moment Granny gave Godai money for the wedding and her wedding ring to Kyoko was really beautiful. They've been through so much, I'm glad Godai and Kyoko can finally get married! :)
Nov 19, 2017 12:28 PM

May 2015
Gradma is MVP of this show. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 11, 2018 11:46 AM
Mar 2018
i love maison ikkoku as kyoko is so cute with godai and grandma added a special touch
Nov 12, 2018 7:26 PM

Aug 2013
yep, obaasan best character
Mar 20, 2019 4:19 PM

Nov 2016
Damn troll Granny, don't try to give me a heart attack. She's still besto and her little act had me laughing at the end.

Yet another beautiful episode and only one left. Dunno if I should look forward to it or rather be sad instead.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 1:41 PM

Jul 2015
Even though Godai has a lot of bad luck, he sure is lucky as hell to have such a great grandma and a future wife

Feb 8, 2021 6:38 PM

Jan 2012
Grandma is such a great character, her generosity is warming. What an amazing show, I'm sad that there is only one episode left.
Feb 12, 2021 1:35 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Ah, my heart. The streak of stellar episodes continues.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jun 5, 2021 11:41 PM

Jan 2018
Wholesome episode. Grandma is such a troll but at least she's a nice person... I liked how the end of the episode reflected Mitaka and Asuna's interaction in his childhood room.
Btw how is it common for Japanese to have weddings at churches... are they even Christian.
Only one episode left and I keep forgetting what I was gonna say. It’s been a long journey and I'm quite emotional.
0451Jun 6, 2021 12:05 AM
Jan 10, 2022 9:45 AM

Nov 2008
Godai's mother looks way too much like Kyoko's.

It's disturbing how widespread Christianity became in Japan.

Seems like every other person in this show has a stereo with big speakers. Godai's friend, Mitaka, Godai as a kid, others I'm forgetting...
EzekielJan 10, 2022 10:09 AM

Mar 17, 2022 4:27 AM
Mar 2021
Ezekiel said:

Apparently, while only 1% of the Japanese population is Christian, around 2/3 of all weddings are Christian-style.

Most likely a strange westernized imported tradition, like the Christmas KFC, but ultimately harmless.

As for the episode itself, while not as awesome as the recent few, it was quite a good one anyway, despite the neighbors appearance being unnecessary.

Also lol at using Grandma's funeral money for the wedding.
Apr 20, 2022 9:44 AM

Jan 2018
Ezekiel said:
Godai's mother looks way too much like Kyoko's.

Seems like every other person in this show has a stereo with big speakers. Godai's friend, Mitaka, Godai as a kid, others I'm forgetting...
The history of Christianity in Japan is quite old. I'm surprised that there aren't more Christians in Japan. Instead, they took traditions that were originally Christian like marrying in a church and celebrating Christmas, took out the religious aspect of them and essentially gave their own spin on them.

I think radio/speaker sets were very common in that era. For the sole purpose of playing music. Things like VHS players and other entertainment stations were either very expensive or didn't exist yet. These characters were too old to get into home consoles. They were probably more into arcades or gambling machines like pachinko at that point in time.
0451Jun 22, 2022 5:51 AM
Aug 21, 2022 9:10 AM

Sep 2020
The ending is near...

Kyoko and Godai travel to Godai's hometown so as to meet his parents and seek the acceptance of the soon-to-be new member of the family. With the obvious acceptance of Godai's family, a ring in her hand, and a prosperous future awaiting, the episode gives a happy feeling of resolution to the show, even though we are yet to finish it.

I'm so glad to have watched so far, let's see what the next episode has in store.

1 episode remaining
Jun 18, 2023 4:01 PM

May 2016
Can't believe it's already over, well one more left to go ;-;
Jul 28, 2023 12:38 AM

May 2022
Grandma giving her own wedding ring to Kyoko san and bowing so, so deeply was humbling, old people just don't do that, Kyoko san had no choice but to accept. This shows how important it was for both of them.

Godai san didn't hit any poles, to come think of it, he hasn't been day dreaming in a long time.

I agree with Raitei's comment, go watch Maison Ikkoku: Kanketsu-hen/Final Chapter OVA now, then the final normal episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

38 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 5:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

31 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 21, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

24 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

30 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.