Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 17, 2010 10:41 PM
I can't watch anime on my computer or laptop; I get distracted and start working on one thing or another. So I generally encode/hardsub anime so I can watch it in bed before I sleep or while at school or work when no one's around :3

It's just easier for me to focus. I end up enjoying and taking in more of what I'm watching.

My first PMP for anime was a Sansa e250 with a tiny 1.3inch screen >.> But I loved it and later I moved on to a 3rd generation iPod Nano after I got my first part time job. 2.5inch screen and it felt huge (that's what she said)

In total I've had/have 13 devices for watching anime on the go, not including my phone or PSP D: I'm thinking of getting a viliv HD5 Prime next.

Does anyone else do this? What's the best PMP you've ever had? Is anyone a gadget freak like me and looking forward to something in particular?

Modified by davemcdave, Sep 17, 2010 10:46 PM

Sep 17, 2010 10:53 PM

The ipod touch or iphone is great for watching on the go, and now the newer ones have such high resolution that quality cannot possibly be an issue (not that it ever was).

Sep 17, 2010 11:03 PM

I watched a lot of anime on my Creative Zen Vision W for quite a while. It was a pretty awesome, convenient thing to have, and still is. It was pretty thin with a good sized, well-colored screen, and I rarely had to convert any files for it, which made it even better.

Nowadays though, I'm on the go much less and I like to watch my anime with the best possible quality on a bigger screen like on a laptop.

Sep 17, 2010 11:34 PM
ssjedwin said:
The ipod touch or iphone is great for watching on the go

Yeah, loving 720p playback (I have one). The LED backlit display isn't as good as an AMOLED, but the resolution (retina display) definitely makes up for it. I'm loving it. Too bad iPod's video playback interface is too simplistic. Still fun though!

Knil said:
I watched a lot of anime on my Creative Zen Vision W for quite a while.

I remember that Panda! I wanted one when it first came out, but my computer at the time wasn't fast enough to encode a bunch of video for that player's resolution. Good stuff!

Sep 17, 2010 11:39 PM

I know some people that do this. They watch it on their touch screen phones like their iPhone, iTouch or Droid.

Sep 17, 2010 11:50 PM

Funny that this topic has come up just when I've learned how to set everything up for smooth playback on my iPod nano 3G. I was on the verge of giving up, but finally SUPER did the trick, now I can easily convert regular .mkv fansubs to iPod format without losing parts of the subtitles etc. But boy was it worth it - watching anime on a small yet quality screen makes it ever more cuter and fun to watch. Not to mention I've got a chronic neck soreness from watching it on my laptop; surprisingly, even though they're supposed to be mobile and made to suit your needs, I could never get myself in a comfortable position for watching videos on a laptop. Nothing beats laying in bed a holding a tiny device with no effort whatsoever.

Sep 18, 2010 12:01 AM
jiyuudansei said:
Nothing beats laying in bed a holding a tiny device with no effort whatsoever.

Agreed :D

If you're willing to try something a little more advanced than Super, give MediaCoder a shot (it's free! But can be rather complicated).

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

There's a UI plugin for iPod nano (so it has all the correct video conversion settings for H.264) It's the only converter I like.

Sep 18, 2010 12:12 AM

As someone who has tried both SUPER and mediacoder,
I recommend you guys try Xvid4psp.

I find super to be a little slow and limited, while MediaCoder is a bit too complicated for the average anime watcher.

Despite the name, its not only for psp, it encodes virtually any format and from any codec. It's also easy to use and quite fast for the quality it produces. It's also one of the few converters that can automatically get soft subs and convert them to hard subs for ipod (meaning you can convert mkv, ogm etc to ipod without losing the subs or having to extract them)

And its FREE! xD

http://www.winnydows.com/#News

Sep 18, 2010 12:18 AM
Looks neat. I'll definitely check it out.

Sep 18, 2010 12:25 AM

I used my PSP back in the day for anime but it was getting too bulky while laying in bed. iPod touch is easier to hold with one hand. (No, I don't mean for that kind of use.)

Sep 18, 2010 12:33 AM

TheWolfster said:

If you're willing to try something a little more advanced than Super, give MediaCoder a shot (it's free! But can be rather complicated).

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

There's a UI plugin for iPod nano (so it has all the correct video conversion settings for H.264) It's the only converter I like.

You also have the 3rd generation iPod nano? Maybe you could guide me through this a bit more thoroughly, I really don't have the necessary knowledge (or patience for that matter). For instance, which edition of this MediaCoder should I get? And what settings do you use? So far, the only thing that worked for me was Super, though I am still somewhat unsure what settings are the best or how to prevent it from changing the font for the subtitles. Found Xvid4PSP to be slow (both interface and encoding-wise) and I couldn't get it to work.

Sep 18, 2010 1:01 AM
jiyuudansei said:

For instance, which edition of this MediaCoder should I get? And what settings do you use?

Sure thing, based on your computer specs (yay x64) get this one:

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/mirrors.htm?file=MediaCoder-x64-0.7.5.4740.exe

(choose one of the server links, one might be faster than another for you).

If the x64 edition ever gives you trouble, you can always use the x86 (32bit) edition.

After it installs (basic setup options are fine), it'll guide you through a wizard. You can run through it, but it's meant for generic use. Go through it anyway just to familiarize yourself with what MediaCoder can do.

After it's installed, select Features (from the menu bar) > UI Plugins > Digital Media Players > iPhone/iPod

It'll ask if you want to revert your settings to default, say yes.

Then select
Format: iPod Video 5G/Nano
FPS: Orginal
Video Bitrate: 768 or 1mbps should be good, you can go lower if you want
Audio: 160 is good enough for iPod
Encoding: CPU (Normal) -- Leave this be, the other options will give you trouble.

The subtitle box will let you can select what font you want (it'll read it if it's in an MKV), and under audio you can select what track (if it's a dual audio anime).

Then you can close the iPod window, set your output folder and hit start.

I haven't tried the option Fast MKV to MP4 (Video Copy), because I just noticed it! If it's something amazing I'll let you know.

Message me if you need more help.

Sep 18, 2010 10:07 AM

Thanks for the help so far Wolfster, those instructions (mostly) did the trick.

Sep 18, 2010 11:48 AM
I used to do it with a Cowon D2 using AviDemux. But the D2 only supported xvid. Played a lot with all the settings but the quality in dark scenes still couldn't please my eyes so I stopped.

Been wanting to upgrade this good ol' workhorse D2 but nothing really caught my interest. Maybe the Cowon J3 or Samsung P3. What were your 13 PMPs and which did you like best?

If I had to convert for a player though, I'd use MeGUI and AviSynth. I can go easy with presets or go nuts with pages of settings and scripts (lack of which is why I'm allergic to Apple :p)
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

Sep 18, 2010 2:54 PM
jiyuudansei said:
Thanks for the help so far Wolfster, those instructions (mostly) did the trick.

Sure thing, but I can't reply to your PM. It says you don't allow them due to privacy settings. So friend me :)

harmann said:
Maybe the Cowon J3 or Samsung P3. What were your 13 PMPs and which did you like best?

Oh man. In no particular order:

Sansa e250, iPod Nano 3rd Gen, Cowon D2, Samsung P2, Samsung P3, iPod Touch 2nd Gen, Zune, Cowon S9, Cowon J3, Zune HD, Cowon V5, iPod Touch 4th Gen and I'm getting this soon:

http://www.myviliv.com/v4/product/p3/p3.asp

Out of all of those, I like the S9 the most. The J3 has a much better interface/improved GUI, and the hardware is the same as the S9. But the S9 feels and looks so much better in my hand.

The Samsung P2 and P3 are a ton of fun (the P3 more so that than the P2) and I really enjoyed both.

However, none of those can do 720p video, and the MP4/H.264 support is funky at best, I've been sticking with my iPod touch 4th gen for now until I get a viliv P3.

Sep 18, 2010 4:09 PM
Sound quality wise, D2 or J3 or Samsung P3? :P

wow that viliv P3 looks interesting o_O Just a tad bigger than J3 and 848x480 screen. Gonna have to keep an eye on this :D
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

Sep 18, 2010 4:24 PM

I use my Cowon O2.

Plenty of video support, although it lags when I put AVCHD files T_T
Screen size is pretty decent (4.3"), resolution kinda sucks (480x272).
Supports 720p to an extent.
It has no softsub support, but I hardsub anyways :D

I might think on getting the Viliv P3 XD
Android fan^^

Sep 18, 2010 11:58 PM
harmann said:
Sound quality wise, D2 or J3 or Samsung P3? :P

wow that viliv P3 looks interesting o_O Just a tad bigger than J3 and 848x480 screen. Gonna have to keep an eye on this :D

J3/S9 win best sound. The P2/P3 are runner's up. Everyone else is terrible.

Sep 19, 2010 7:50 AM
Interesting. The D2 was pretty raved for its sound when it was around. You'd say it's terrible? :P

As far as I know the viliv P3 was released in Korea but they have no plan yet to bring it to the US. Maybe why I can't find any review on it :( How do you get it, import?
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

Sep 19, 2010 3:51 PM
Well, I can Play 720p .mkvs on my smartphone. Looks pretty awesome on the i9000 screen. I usually watch them in my bed before I go to sleep ;).
]

Sep 19, 2010 4:18 PM

I love to watch them on my phone, but it has got a hellishly small screen, so i don't do it quite as often as I would like >_>

Sep 19, 2010 10:15 PM

I convert vids using media coder like a lot of you and I watch on my 80g ipod classic. works pretty good most of the time. only complaint is that it freezes a lot when i plug it in to itunes.