Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 16, 2010 8:55 PM
Sep 2010
Hi everyone, just joined AnimeList because I wanted to discuss Elfen Lied, specifically the ending.
First of all, I hope to clarify the ending for some people (yes, I am 5 years late but me and my sisters fully loved it). I'm not going to argue that this "definitely" happen but will put forward strong inferences we can all make, regardless if your an optimist or a pessimist =p
Bear in mind, that it still is - an open-ended interpretation ending much like Inception, Children of Men (all very very good movies)

[P.S Can someone tell me how to use the advance functions of the forum e.g "quotes", "add pictures etc?" Thanks]

[SPOILERS BELOW]

1. Who does Kouta like?
I think there's a stark contrast with the ways he treats Yuka and Lucy/Nyu. With Yuka, Kouta does not actually initiate any actions, only Yuka does. This kind of suggests he doesn't like her much(in that way) and only kisses her towards the middle episodes to reciprocate back and/or his a "first-timer" at relationships (but boy is he pimp lol)
With Lucy/Nyu, the relationship seems more passionate and natural. Even when he was young, feelings were strongly inclined to Lucy - as indicated by his preference to invite Lucy if he hadn't promised Yuka the date.
Now towards the end, we see Kouta do two things that he hasn't done before
a) tell someone i.e Lucy that he loved/loves her
b) initiate a romantic action i.e he hugged Lucy
Now especially towards the final minute, we see Kouta reminiscing over Nyu/Lucy and Yuka sort of looking at him jealously - this implies Kouta does indeed like/love Lucy

2.What did the clock ringing and music box mean?
IMO, the music box symbolises the past, including the seashell. It also symbolizes the sadness and pain Kouta experienced in his life. Note that the seashell symbolizes pain and the past BUT reminds him of Nyu.
When he puts the seashell back into the music box, I guess it kind of meant he wants to move on with happier memories.
IMPORTANT BIT
Now many people suggest music box=Lucy, Clock=Nyu. I don't believe this is the case.
What I mean is Kouta never,ever called Nyu/Lucy, Lucy. He only refers to her as Nyu at all stages of the anime.However, with that in mind, the music box does prbably symbolise the aggro/crazier/psychopath version of Nyu/Lucy, and the clock symoblises the innocent,extermely kind Nyu. To Kouta however, he always saw a good person as shown by 100% "Nyu" references in the end.

So when the clock rings and the music stops, it implies that there is a fresh new start without the sadness and pain of the past.

3. Then whos at the door?
Look, I strongly believe its "Nyu" . Who else would visit his house. In addition, if you look at the shape of the shadow, it is DEFINITELY A GIRL- with hair resembling Nyu. Also the dog barks at the visitor like he barked at Lucy towards the early episodes.
IMPORTANT BIT
- It is strongly implied that its the mature version i.e Lucy/Nyu at the final romantic scene with Kouta, that is at the door. This is because if it was 100% Nyu, she would be saying "Nyuuu" all the time. She also would probably not be able to find her way back. The more mature version of "Nyu" also is more quite and seems to only talk at important bits and to Kouta most of the time. It is very unlikely she would knock on the door and say stuff without seeing Kouta first.

4. Did Lucy/Nyu die?
Probably not. Bullets dont seem to affect Diclonius, and even after a hit, they seem to regenerate back their health. Nana did this when she was shot by Bando. Lucy did this when she was shot in the head.
Also note that the bullets continue to fly, Lucys vectors are flying up (meaning shes defending herself) and that even after her horn fell, bullets are still flying - implying she is not dead.

Side Note
People sometimes go "Nana would've sensed Lucy"
She cant, both her horns are gone

And finally,how did the clock get fixed?
Wel it started working just when Kouta walked outside and not before. Im not really sure, could just be pure chance that it fixed itself or Nyu fixed it or even the Nyu at the door using .. her improved vectors? Lol idk. Not really important as it is more symbolic than such

Conclusion
I hope this clarified abit for you, so you can go home and sleep that Elfen Lied had a happy ending =]
At the very least "Theres so many wonderful things..so many"

Thanks for reading

RiceMuncherOct 24, 2010 7:12 PM
Sep 17, 2010 7:33 PM
Aug 2010
i just finished this anime today

yeah i was thinking it was her at the end but still its up to interpretion but really i'm more of the person to liek definite ending ...not open-endings so yeah

and i really wonder can u really live with someone who killed your father and little younger first in front of your eyes, i don't think i can.

btw, love ur clarification was a nice read.

Wee~!
Oct 7, 2010 8:00 PM
Jul 2018
AWESOME clarification post. Agree with all points! Logical explanations to all, and plus...it supports the idea of that "happy" ending that most of us like.
Oct 30, 2010 12:11 PM

Oct 2009
Nice Clarification, I thought about it in the same way.

Anyone knows if the manga goes further then the anime?
Oct 30, 2010 7:00 PM
Sep 2010
Aurao said:

Yes but its different comapred to the anime. Anime diverges at last 2-3 episodes from what I heard. O and someone told me the ending is worst than the anime + alot sadder so I didn't read.
xD
Nov 2, 2010 7:05 PM

Jun 2010
RiceMuncher said:
Aurao said:

Yes but its different comapred to the anime. Anime diverges at last 2-3 episodes from what I heard. O and someone told me the ending is worst than the anime + alot sadder so I didn't read.
xD

The ending is a lot sadder, but it's a lot more fulfilling. I'd recommend reading it if you liked the anime. :D
Apr 28, 2015 6:50 AM

Apr 2015
I've just finished this anime today.
I really love it now. The clarification was nice to read and I agree with it.
Does anyone know if there will be a second season?
May 4, 2015 7:02 PM

Dec 2009
Just finished the Anime today in one sitting. Thanks a lot for the explanation. Really helped taking off the uneasiness off my heart. Thank you.
Jul 22, 2015 5:17 AM
Jan 2015
maaiiccoo said:
I've just finished this anime today.
I really love it now. The clarification was nice to read and I agree with it.
Does anyone know if there will be a second season?

I highly doubt it, but we can all still hope :'(
can't watch the end anymore
Aug 1, 2015 8:01 PM
Aug 2015
The end was so depressing I even cried for a wile but thanks for giving me hope that lucy is still alive this anime is one of my favorite turns out this this showe is so good that I'm depressed that they did not make a second season
Aug 1, 2015 8:07 PM
Aug 2015
I think I would still love loci Ivan if she killed my family in front of me
Aug 1, 2015 8:08 PM
Aug 2015
Sorry I speed her name ring
Aug 2, 2015 6:39 AM
Aug 2015
Sorry I speed her name ring
Aug 5, 2015 12:09 PM
Aug 2015
that's not the only thing you spelled wrong!
I started watching Elfen Lied today and finished all episodes in one sit. I think Kouta starts living in the present, that's why the clock started working. The one at the door isn't probably Lucy, even though I would like it that way. She committed suicide out of the guilty. She made it clear that she put up with living just to give her apologies. I wish there was more. I tried to read the manga but it goes on a different story and I found it confusing for now. For example, Lucy attacked and tried to explode Kamura's real daughter with the bomb.
Aug 10, 2015 2:50 AM
Aug 2015
See naw all of this dose make sense but like you sed the possibilities for endings its a big thing. Naw for most people thay would just sit read and be like hay i think that was a good opinion but for me il be racking my brain trying to figyer this out but what i realy wish is that thay did not end it like this but hay thats my opinion
Oct 11, 2015 9:39 PM
Apr 2007
Hi there!!!

Even 10 years later after this anime is awesome people still talk about it.

I found in a Japan store a small book named "Elfen Lied" memories of a tragic and strong love. It explains very carefully about this endings (between anime and manga) and just in Kouta's perspective.

So I decided to post in here,since the most points are correct as the producers though it. Yes, Lucy is the last person behind the door. The clock starts working and the song box stops at the same time because it means that the new time together begins and the hard and sadness times are finally finished. Kouta loves Lucy more than Yuka, because as it is written, he moves first by natural instinct and desire, while with Yuka is a little more forced (including that the original manga version is only about their love). The main point is that both of them, decided to split up for a while, in order to make human beings to believe that diclonius are finally dead or under control, (as someone wrote that's why Lucy decided to lose her horn left, then nana and other diclonius can't sense her anymore).

In the other hand, the manga story is completely different, such characters, plot, ending, and everything. To compare them, manga finishes with Lucy's death 💀, she sacrifices herself in order to avoid something and protect Kouta, because in the manga if she doesn't die, it would mean the end of mankind. (very briefly but you have to read to enjoy it better and make your own personal conclusion).

I only write about the small book I bought in a Japanese store about elfen lied view from kouta's eyes.

I hope this help you to believe that the anime's end is the best, and yes, Lucy didn't die, he loves her, and its a new beginning for both of them (actually all people living in kouta's place)
Oct 16, 2015 3:18 PM
Oct 2015
That book made some sense I think.

Not only that people talk about this particular anime, but some are still watching it or had recently, like me. The thing is, I did heard about this anime like 7 years ago or maybe more. At that time I was watching other animes and somehow I noticed this title from somewhere (maybe other manga/anime forums). But even so, till last week I didn't watched it. I don't really know how I remembered or how it got stuck in my head after so many years, kinda strange for an anime which you didn't watched or have no idea about it. Completed the anime and manga some days ago in 3-4 days. Since I'm no manga reader, I watched the anime first and it kinda felt short for me. Never in the world I would guess, that this anime would want me to start reading the manga version of it, my first manga that I read actually.
Jan 23, 2016 1:37 PM
Jan 2016
I dont think its a BAD ending but i dont like it much , i mean shure some one might explain the ending but those kinda endings make feel empty , still i loved the anime , i wached it all in one night and i loved it , but i still wish there was a second season
May 8, 2016 11:16 PM
May 2016
Like you said, I agree that he always only saw Nyu's/Lucy's good side. He never referred to her as Lucy because it has a "bad" connotation. What I mean is, Lucy is a girl's name for Lucifer. And Lucifer is the name of Satan, or the devil (basically evil/corrupted).
Sep 7, 2016 12:21 PM

Sep 2016
Just finished it, up until now an amazing anime, enjoyed watching it. Loved the ending, though it took so many victims...

thanks for making the ending clear, i thought the same and you seem to agree with my understanding (conception) of this serie.
thanks bro...
Oct 19, 2016 9:14 AM
Sep 2012
Just finished the anime yesterday. I'm kind of hesitant to watch it for a long time since I'm still new to this kind of anime genre but since I watched Mirai Nikki, Tokyo Ghoul and the first episode of the another I decided to give it a go.

I prefer if the ending is not an open ending. Also I like tragic endings that's why I like it better if Lucy really died so the anime would have more impact to me but like almost everyone is wishing, I also think she's alive. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that I love this anime! This reminds me of korean dramas too with characters that has split personality.
Oct 24, 2016 4:30 AM
Oct 2016
I believe that is not lucy. the girl behind the gate have a long hair and its present. Nana have a short hair and that is the time she eats soumen noodles for the first time IMO
Oct 31, 2016 2:48 PM
Oct 2016
I know this might be late, but I just finished watching the Anime completely through for the second time. One thing I'm not sure about.

With the part where Lucy/Nyu is gunned down, you say that her vectors were flying. IMO, it seemed like she threw them up to allow them to gun her down so that she wouldn't be an issue for Kohta anymore.

Secondly, I agree that it's a girl at the door at the end but in lining up with my above thought...I am not sure. The silhouette seems to have longer hair than Lucy/Nyu did towards the end after cutting her hair then it starting to grow back. Also, no horns as OP mentioned so not entirely sure.

Last comment; Clock vs Music Box. At the end, the music box ends just as the clock shows that it's working. I'm sure that's intended to be significant but not entirely sure.

Either way, that's just my two cents.
Dec 17, 2016 1:22 PM
Jul 2010
I have just rewatched it and read the manga..worth reading as it end completely differently..but no spoilers :)
Feb 28, 2017 1:22 PM
Sep 2016
If you remember, Nyu's horn was shot off before, leaving her with one. Then, towards the final scenes, after the romantic kiss, she seems to lose her only remaining horn. Now, if the horns are the source of the power, we can assume that nyu's desires to kill and conquer may have disapeared along with the horns.

If that's true, it would make sense for her to return to fulfill her only remaining goal- to belong and to be with her love.
Apr 21, 2017 11:29 AM
Apr 2017
Hi. I only read the manga, but after I read some of comments here, I think manga ending is better and more rational. Lucy die (and I think it should be like this because she already killed too many people) and Kouta loves her and accept her back to their home but he still can't forgive her because she killed his family (I think this is more rational, I mean how could you love someone who kill your whole family without hesitate).. Also in manga, Kouta also loves Yuka and actually in manga Kouta's feeling towards Yuka and Lucy almost the same (I hate boys like Kuota who can't pick one) 😥 In manga, Kouta later marry Yuka and they have a daughter.. Lucy and Nyu reincarnate to twins and they and Kouta later meet again when Kouta go to the place when he and Lucy first met when they were little and Nyu and Lucy (although they are 5 year old girls now) still have memories about Kouta..

Honestly I love this manga, but somehow I can't really like the main characters (Kouta and Lucy). I don't like Kouta because he can't decide between Lucy and Yuka and because of that he made Yuka cries often. I don't really like Lucy/Nyu because she is Yandere and kills people without sympathy. Actually I am quite happy when she died. Although it's not all her fault, but still, she already committed too many crime, so I think she has to atone her sin somehow and the manga ending is the best for her. Maybe people would hate me because of this because I know maybe I am the only one who doesn't like them 😅
stargirl92Apr 21, 2017 11:47 AM
May 7, 2017 9:36 AM
May 2017
Remember how nyu was put to sleep by the professor and lucy took over? Well i think that the one who died is lucy so she can become 100% Nyu
Jun 25, 2017 11:39 AM
Jun 2017
Just finish Elfen Lied a few minutes ago and I was a bit confuse on the ending. I couldn't clarify myself so I search in google and found this. Thanks! It really help
RiceMuncher said:
Hi everyone, just joined AnimeList because I wanted to discuss Elfen Lied, specifically the ending.
First of all, I hope to clarify the ending for some people (yes, I am 5 years late but me and my sisters fully loved it). I'm not going to argue that this "definitely" happen but will put forward strong inferences we can all make, regardless if your an optimist or a pessimist =p
Bear in mind, that it still is - an open-ended interpretation ending much like Inception, Children of Men (all very very good movies)

[P.S Can someone tell me how to use the advance functions of the forum e.g "quotes", "add pictures etc?" Thanks]

[SPOILERS BELOW]

1. Who does Kouta like?
I think there's a stark contrast with the ways he treats Yuka and Lucy/Nyu. With Yuka, Kouta does not actually initiate any actions, only Yuka does. This kind of suggests he doesn't like her much(in that way) and only kisses her towards the middle episodes to reciprocate back and/or his a "first-timer" at relationships (but boy is he pimp lol)
With Lucy/Nyu, the relationship seems more passionate and natural. Even when he was young, feelings were strongly inclined to Lucy - as indicated by his preference to invite Lucy if he hadn't promised Yuka the date.
Now towards the end, we see Kouta do two things that he hasn't done before
a) tell someone i.e Lucy that he loved/loves her
b) initiate a romantic action i.e he hugged Lucy
Now especially towards the final minute, we see Kouta reminiscing over Nyu/Lucy and Yuka sort of looking at him jealously - this implies Kouta does indeed like/love Lucy

2.What did the clock ringing and music box mean?
IMO, the music box symbolises the past, including the seashell. It also symbolizes the sadness and pain Kouta experienced in his life. Note that the seashell symbolizes pain and the past BUT reminds him of Nyu.
When he puts the seashell back into the music box, I guess it kind of meant he wants to move on with happier memories.
IMPORTANT BIT
Now many people suggest music box=Lucy, Clock=Nyu. I don't believe this is the case.
What I mean is Kouta never,ever called Nyu/Lucy, Lucy. He only refers to her as Nyu at all stages of the anime.However, with that in mind, the music box does prbably symbolise the aggro/crazier/psychopath version of Nyu/Lucy, and the clock symoblises the innocent,extermely kind Nyu. To Kouta however, he always saw a good person as shown by 100% "Nyu" references in the end.

So when the clock rings and the music stops, it implies that there is a fresh new start without the sadness and pain of the past.

3. Then whos at the door?
Look, I strongly believe its "Nyu" . Who else would visit his house. In addition, if you look at the shape of the shadow, it is DEFINITELY A GIRL- with hair resembling Nyu. Also the dog barks at the visitor like he barked at Lucy towards the early episodes.
IMPORTANT BIT
- It is strongly implied that its the mature version i.e Lucy/Nyu at the final romantic scene with Kouta, that is at the door. This is because if it was 100% Nyu, she would be saying "Nyuuu" all the time. She also would probably not be able to find her way back. The more mature version of "Nyu" also is more quite and seems to only talk at important bits and to Kouta most of the time. It is very unlikely she would knock on the door and say stuff without seeing Kouta first.

4. Did Lucy/Nyu die?
Probably not. Bullets dont seem to affect Diclonius, and even after a hit, they seem to regenerate back their health. Nana did this when she was shot by Bando. Lucy did this when she was shot in the head.
Also note that the bullets continue to fly, Lucys vectors are flying up (meaning shes defending herself) and that even after her horn fell, bullets are still flying - implying she is not dead.

Side Note
People sometimes go "Nana would've sensed Lucy"
She cant, both her horns are gone

And finally,how did the clock get fixed?
Wel it started working just when Kouta walked outside and not before. Im not really sure, could just be pure chance that it fixed itself or Nyu fixed it or even the Nyu at the door using .. her improved vectors? Lol idk. Not really important as it is more symbolic than such

Conclusion
I hope this clarified abit for you, so you can go home and sleep that Elfen Lied had a happy ending =]
At the very least "Theres so many wonderful things..so many"

Thanks for reading

Jul 17, 2017 4:29 AM
Jul 2017
such a sad ending... but dislike how it leaves so much room for question. And does anybody find Kohto and Yuka's relationship weird as cousins?
Aug 14, 2017 5:11 AM
Aug 2017
i don't think that Lucy was dead,maybe the 2 end horn was broken during last fight scene against SU but after she apologized/got hugged so warm/hard from him,she would keep figthing and living for him at the very end.at the end Dog was barking bec he was happy to see someone he knew came back,as this sad song ended and time ticked, mean she came back,also this women behind door dont have horns so,i guess it's happy end :3 <3
Sep 16, 2017 2:25 PM
Sep 2017
This anime was fantastic in every way except for the ending. Through the first 12 episodes, it was perfect in every way. Then it got to the last one. The whole part about the chief dying with his daughter was beautiful, perfect even. By the final part I came to realize there would only be one way this anime could have a perfect ending. What should have happened is instead of letting Lucy run off, Kouta needed to kill her. After getting his memories back, he should have known that he needed to kill Nyu/ Lucy because of the promise he made to her on the bus. It needed to be a very sad ending where Kouta felt like he was forced to do it even though he didn't want too. With Lilium playing in the background, it would have been perfect. I'm going for the whole sort of thing that Assassination classroom did, which made me cry my eyes out. The final scene would have been even better this way. When they are setting the table and leave the extra bowl for Nyu, it would have been emotional and sad. No one should have come to the door, however it would be nice to still hear the clock go off right as its cutting out with lilium playing on the music box. This was really the only way I would have been satisfied with the ending and this would probably be my favorite anime had this happened. I was left thoroughly disappointed with all the potential this had. Every hole would have been filled. With the stupid ending it has, it actually opened up holes.
Oct 10, 2017 11:22 AM
Oct 2017
a 2nd season should have been realized. there is plenty of other mystery in this series that deserve to be clarified in addition the scenario was well thought from A to Z
Feb 11, 2018 10:27 PM
Jan 2016
1. Who does Kouta like?

If you believe kouta ‘loves’ Nyu part of Lucy.... you are wrong. Absolutely wrong. He only likes her as a child or as her sister (I’m saying this because her character is childish). Nobody loves absolute innocent and childish character. Love is more complicated than that, and ‘Nyu’ doesn’t display any of the traits as a lover. All he displays for her is her caring heart. (Though Yuka jumped into conclusion that he loves her, later she realised herself).

If you believe he loves Lucy herself... He has to accept each every aspect of her including that she killed so many people including her father and sister. He said he won’t forgive her himself in the end. If it’s about the character...in the past she displayed only 1 trait, she was innocent and she wanted to play with him. You tell me what else did kouta see in her? The rest is just kouta being kind to her. Or do you want to tell me that he loves her because she killed his father and sister just because he lied? So no he doesn’t love Lucy. If you are wondering about the end scene between kouta and Lucy, he looked her like that because he realised she cannot live anymore. That was a display of sadness not love. As far as the kiss, it was Lucy who initiated that, not kouta.

If you believe he loves yuka... well you are correct. That was what manga displayed and what the author wanted. If you ‘think’ he doesn’t love yuka because he is always reluctant and yuka is the one who initiates and ‘kinda’ forces him to...well that’s because he doesn’t know what happened in the past. As that always concerned him. But when he rememberes the past...he also remembers about Yuka. That’ll just mortify his feeling even more.

But what I hate is that the anime didn’t show how they end up leaving so many viewers with a different opinion. I know that would defeat the purpose of the ending they provided in the anime but I hate the ending as well, because if she was Lucy, alive and well...then she just killed sat team to be there. Which is no good. She didn’t even resist when they were shooting her. So if it’s her...then the ending has no meaning to it. She’ll just have to keep killing to stay with them. If it’s not her alive but as her soul or something as ‘ghost’ as the kids call it, because she is the queen bee...she might have the power to do that (who knows) then ending is weird and unexplained and incomplete if that’s the case. Then this ending is wierd. An ending can be sad or happy but not wierd. So immediately after watching this idiotic ending...I read the manga which is a lot more satisfying. It is said to be ‘sad’ because Lucy dies..but that’s what should have happened in the anime as well. And they also display that Lucy killed all those humans because she cannot control herself from not doing so. Therefore she died. Read the manga urself. You will understand.

Whether the person standing there is Lucy or not..is the open interpretation... but who he loves..I don’t believe that is an open interpretation. He loves yuka, period. If you think I’m wrong, let me know how, Thank you.
AheeshFeb 11, 2018 10:48 PM
Apr 21, 2018 2:28 PM
Apr 2018
Like someone else, I also joined this forum simply to discuss Elfen Lied. I just finished binge-watching all 13 episodes, and I must say that I haven't had an anime manipulate my feelings in such an efficient way like this one did. From start to finish, I was completely amazed by how well the story was told, bringing tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. I refuse to believe that it wasn't Nyu/Lucy at the door, but that's simply how I want to view the ending in order to give myself some closure (otherwise I'd go crazy and over-obsessive with this anime, and wouldn't be able to let it go and move on.). I can't believe it was from 2004, but either way, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and it now has a place in my favourite animes ever.
May 27, 2018 9:15 PM
May 2018
Man, this must of been something back in the day when anime were so popular i was only 2 when it came out and watched it in 2018 and got me caught in my feelings because old anime pictures used to have simular character but yeah i try so hard not to cry and was hard to hold it but why a cliffhanging/Ending why!? I wish they made more I would of loved it more oh well the good old days. Or maybe lucy will act like nyu right? Think about it
KrillyajMay 27, 2018 9:27 PM
Sep 19, 2018 10:22 PM
Aug 2018
For something like this, it helps to read the manga, as a lot of things are glossed over or changed in the Anime to make the anime short enough to fit a single cour schedule. If you look it up, you find this wikia page: http://elfen-lied.wikia.com/wiki/Conclusion

If you don't want to read it, I'll give you a brief summary:
1. Lucy is dead, or at least doesn't appear again
2. Kouta has a kid who looks a lot like Yuka, and it is heavily implied they end up together.
3. There is a sentimental ending in which twins that look like they are related to Lucy (possibly her kids) show up at a memorial for Lucy's dog, and Kouta's child (named Nyu) often visits them
4. Kouta continues to visit the memorial for Lucy's dog (I think it may be for Lucy, too), because he apparently made a promise to her, that will never be fulfilled (number 1), but he meets the twins (number 3) because they were told to wait at the memorial for something.
5. There's a letter for Kouta that says something (if you want to read it, go to the wikia page), signed by Kaede, which is revealed to be Lucy's real name.

Edit/Note: I didn't read the manga, so I don't know how much of this is true. I got this information from the wikia page about the final chapter of the manga for Elfen Lied
Aug 17, 2019 10:26 AM
Aug 2019
ENDING OF ELFEN LIED-
There are a few speculations about the ending….. According to me the end is in one of the 2 ways-
1.She returned fine and was Nyu as the horns were broken during her battle against the troops ending diclonius, also the clock that Nyu fixed,works and the music box stops working that Lucy liked meaning her end and she was NYU now… also something that I noticed was that her ankle in the last scene when she was behind the entrance were joined the way NYU keeps them not Lucy…
2.She was dead after returning there as you could see Kouta having the seashell that represented death as(i) when his sister gave him a sea shell she died later on (ii) also Nyu gave him one too.
(I)She also faced so many soldiers even when her horn breaked so she might just have taken a lot of injury and just dragged herself there to meet Kouta one last time and died after that…((also in the manga she dies, so it is also a possibility)).
If you ask me personally the anime series ends with her becoming NYU and ending of Lucy and a happy ending with Kouta………((the manga ends completely opposite….))but I choose to disagree with it……………………………………………………………at the end both of them find their TRUE HAPPINESS with each other.
Nov 12, 2019 12:09 PM
Nov 2019
Aheesh said:
1. Who does Kouta like?

If you believe kouta ‘loves’ Nyu part of Lucy.... you are wrong. Absolutely wrong. He only likes her as a child or as her sister (I’m saying this because her character is childish). Nobody loves absolute innocent and childish character. Love is more complicated than that, and ‘Nyu’ doesn’t display any of the traits as a lover. All he displays for her is her caring heart. (Though Yuka jumped into conclusion that he loves her, later she realised herself).

If you believe he loves Lucy herself... He has to accept each every aspect of her including that she killed so many people including her father and sister. He said he won’t forgive her himself in the end. If it’s about the character...in the past she displayed only 1 trait, she was innocent and she wanted to play with him. You tell me what else did kouta see in her? The rest is just kouta being kind to her. Or do you want to tell me that he loves her because she killed his father and sister just because he lied? So no he doesn’t love Lucy. If you are wondering about the end scene between kouta and Lucy, he looked her like that because he realised she cannot live anymore. That was a display of sadness not love. As far as the kiss, it was Lucy who initiated that, not kouta.

If you believe he loves yuka... well you are correct. That was what manga displayed and what the author wanted. If you ‘think’ he doesn’t love yuka because he is always reluctant and yuka is the one who initiates and ‘kinda’ forces him to...well that’s because he doesn’t know what happened in the past. As that always concerned him. But when he rememberes the past...he also remembers about Yuka. That’ll just mortify his feeling even more.

But what I hate is that the anime didn’t show how they end up leaving so many viewers with a different opinion. I know that would defeat the purpose of the ending they provided in the anime but I hate the ending as well, because if she was Lucy, alive and well...then she just killed sat team to be there. Which is no good. She didn’t even resist when they were shooting her. So if it’s her...then the ending has no meaning to it. She’ll just have to keep killing to stay with them. If it’s not her alive but as her soul or something as ‘ghost’ as the kids call it, because she is the queen bee...she might have the power to do that (who knows) then ending is weird and unexplained and incomplete if that’s the case. Then this ending is wierd. An ending can be sad or happy but not wierd. So immediately after watching this idiotic ending...I read the manga which is a lot more satisfying. It is said to be ‘sad’ because Lucy dies..but that’s what should have happened in the anime as well. And they also display that Lucy killed all those humans because she cannot control herself from not doing so. Therefore she died. Read the manga urself. You will understand.

Whether the person standing there is Lucy or not..is the open interpretation... but who he loves..I don’t believe that is an open interpretation. He loves yuka, period. If you think I’m wrong, let me know how, Thank you.

In the manga, no doubt he loves Yuka. He ends up with her. The anime seems to hint at him loving Nyu though and makes the kiss with Yuka seem more like a one-off and an excuse to initiate a love triangle. That's the feeling I got after watching it 3 times at least.
Feb 15, 2022 10:56 PM
Feb 2022
RiceMuncher said:
Aurao said:

xD
so do i, in manga the ending is realy bad
Feb 15, 2022 10:57 PM
Jul 2018
Ok. Thanks for making this.
Aug 9, 2022 12:56 PM
Cool Guy

Jul 2022
100% agree with you. It was lucy/nyu at the end still alive

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

139 by ssangy »»
Apr 3, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

429 by DigitalCoin »»
Mar 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.