Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: 21st Century Boys Chapter 8 Discussion

Sep 15, 2010 11:23 PM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, interesting chapter about what happened when Kanna finally met up with Kenji. Didn't think Kenji would have said that though. Wonder what he meant exactly by that statement. As I don't think Kanna would have just sat idly by the whole time not doing anything about Friend.

Mar 6, 2012 10:59 AM

That was pretty harsh what Kenji told Kanna about not turning out the way he though she would..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

Aug 4, 2013 4:30 PM

Wow, that was harsh ... I really didn't expect Kenji to ever say anything like that to Kanna ... Kind of sad to be honest.

Aug 5, 2013 1:55 PM
ok so i had to reread this chapter scanlated to get what ppl in this thread were talking about.

in the official Viz Media translation kenji says "I'm not the kind of person you think I am." which is a far cry from "You didn't turn out like I'd hoped."

i wonder which one is closest to the actual meaning of the original? clearly someone must be wrong here, because it gives a completely different meaning depending on which one is right. in the viz media translation he seems to be suggesting that he's NOT the big hero that everyone thinks and that he didn't deserve that big concert and everyone's praise for saving the world. and i'm guessing it has to do with him stealing that justice badge. that makes more sense to me than him criticizing the person kanna grew up to be, which is messed up. i think he's only criticizing himself.

this just confirms to me that you have to take fan translations with a grain of salt as most of them are produced by hobbyists and they're bound to occasionally mistranslate some of the more subtle, nuanced parts.

Apr 13, 2014 1:57 PM
Maki's arms

MaxVdub said:
ok so i had to reread this chapter scanlated to get what ppl in this thread were talking about.

in the official Viz Media translation kenji says "I'm not the kind of person you think I am." which is a far cry from "You didn't turn out like I'd hoped."

i wonder which one is closest to the actual meaning of the original? clearly someone must be wrong here, because it gives a completely different meaning depending on which one is right. in the viz media translation he seems to be suggesting that he's NOT the big hero that everyone thinks and that he didn't deserve that big concert and everyone's praise for saving the world. and i'm guessing it has to do with him stealing that justice badge. that makes more sense to me than him criticizing the person kanna grew up to be, which is messed up. i think he's only criticizing himself.

this just confirms to me that you have to take fan translations with a grain of salt as most of them are produced by hobbyists and they're bound to occasionally mistranslate some of the more subtle, nuanced parts.

Thank you that makes a lot of more sense and fits with more events.

Fan subs in general are placed on a pedestal here in MAL, and while many are very good, the pro's are the pro's.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 2, 2014 11:23 PM

Kinda find myself being less and less interested in Kanna.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Nov 12, 2016 1:56 AM

The manga, with the passing of the chapters has lost tension!!!!

Ends of the first book, and wait the second!!!

Hello, my litte boy!