Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse Episode 1 Discussion

Aug 22, 2017 3:34 PM
Why didn't they take the plot of the original series and handle it in Movie with this beautiful art and animation style ? If they did like that, this movie would be an all-time classic like EoE and Akira but with this new plot... it is just a mediocre spin-off... I gave it 8/10 for just gorgeous art and animation.

Nov 1, 2017 2:35 AM

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…"

Nov 22, 2017 7:02 PM
I do see this film as more of a companion piece to the original anime. You really do need to watch the original film. Mostly because so much of the emotional groundwork is made in the 39-episode show. This, feels like an epilogue; taking all the themes from the show and putting them to work in a 90 min "Golden Ending" where we finally get what we want: LESBIANS!

I do like the idea that this is a world in which Utena already won and unlike the more cynical, darker world of the tv anime, it's a lot more hopeful: Utena basically returns fully formed (and very clearly sexually attracted to Anthy from the get go), Anthys show more agency than she ever did in the show, Touga actually is the prince he pretended he was in the show, and Akio is no longer the manipulative bastard, but instead the sniveling coward then anime always hinted he was. And finally, both Anthy and Utena are able to make It out of an incredibly toxic world and take their chances as Adults. Also that car shit is bonkers--but whatevs, I like crazy.

Mar 18, 2018 9:14 AM

Hey! That'(wa)s pretty good!

It looks better and it expands the themes and message of the series, the soundtrack is better, the two duels here are actually engaging, unlike the TV show. It tries to experiment even more than the main series... which results in this movie being a complete mess for many, but that isn't a problem for me.

However, it tries to put as many content as it can in a ninety minutes long film, and that's something that one can notice very easily. It's also missing some of the series' themes (albeit not as important as the ones shown in the movie) so it has less substance that the TV series. And they changed Akio's voice, so he doesn't sound like a sex god anymore

But anyways, if you more or less understood the TV show and its symbols, you're pretty much ready to go and I can assure that, if that's the case, you'll have a pleasant experience.

8/10
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki

May 10, 2018 3:42 PM

Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Shiori explodes, that's all I needed outta this.

This (she has the best duel theme tho)

Dec 15, 2018 1:11 PM

I... was honestly speechless for most of this movie. Dat car part just smacked me hard without even buying dinner first...

But, dear goodness, does Akio's movie voice suck. The dude doesn't seem to know how to change the pitch of his voice or something.

Rex_Ivan said:
In the last episode of the series, Utena awakens Anthy's true self and then "vanishes", leaving Anthy behind. Anthy then takes it upon herself to leave the academy, shrugging off her powerless brother, and going on a search for Utena. I think the movie is where Anthy finds Utena.

I think after the events of the last episode, Utena became trapped in a similar prison as Anthy had been throughout the series. She is stuck in an altered version of the academy (after all, what is "the academy", if not a vast towering infrastructure meant for keeping people in line to a set of arbitrary rules). While there, Utena is lost in her own mind, haunted by the ghosts of her memories, forgetting herself and what she did for Anthy, forgetting what she is truly capable of.

Anthy is more aggressively pursuing Utena, because she is NOT actually held by the academy's spell anymore. She is truly herself, and remembers what has happened before. She also knows the kind of trap Utena is stuck in now. Anthy knows she has to play through the "game", go through the motions to get Utena to remember herself on her own. That has always been a theme of the series: others can aid you, but ultimately you must find the strength to save yourself. That's why Anthy still does what she does. She has to remind Utena of who she is.

That's also why the side characters can't recall past events. The academy makes you forget. Until they find the will to leave, they will be forever doomed to repeat their actions.

In the movie, Anthy's brother is more frail and small of stature. This is because he's already been defeated. The confrontation at the end is his last struggling gasp to try to bring Anthy under his control again. In the end, of course, Anthy and Utena plow through the illusions and escape together into adulthood, into a world without the BS arbitrary rules to bind them, where they can make their own path together under the stars in the real sky.

I really like this theory. It's something that I was slowly starting thinking too; that Anthy and Utena's roles seemed to have switched. It certainly explains things.

The movie allows both characters to come full circle and that's pretty awesome.

Feb 21, 1:23 PM

Kunihiro with this film, confirms itself as one of the best living animation directors giving the world a masterpiece of post-modern cinema. Dreamlike, visionary and nonconformist.
Modified by Skana, Mar 9, 8:03 AM

May 4, 3:15 PM

Rex_Ivan said:
I have this theory... and THAT is how you get people to immediately stop reading your comment. :P

Joking aside though, I always had the impression that the movie wasn't a retelling of the series, but rather a finale to it. Keeping in mind that works of art are subject to interpretation, I will now elaborate on an idea that I've never quite been able to shake out of my head.

*SPOILERS for the movie AND the series below*

In the last episode of the series, Utena awakens Anthy's true self and then "vanishes", leaving Anthy behind. Anthy then takes it upon herself to leave the academy, shrugging off her powerless brother, and going on a search for Utena. I think the movie is where Anthy finds Utena.

I think after the events of the last episode, Utena became trapped in a similar prison as Anthy had been throughout the series. She is stuck in an altered version of the academy (after all, what is "the academy", if not a vast towering infrastructure meant for keeping people in line to a set of arbitrary rules). While there, Utena is lost in her own mind, haunted by the ghosts of her memories, forgetting herself and what she did for Anthy, forgetting what she is truly capable of.

Anthy is more aggressively pursuing Utena, because she is NOT actually held by the academy's spell anymore. She is truly herself, and remembers what has happened before. She also knows the kind of trap Utena is stuck in now. Anthy knows she has to play through the "game", go through the motions to get Utena to remember herself on her own. That has always been a theme of the series: others can aid you, but ultimately you must find the strength to save yourself. That's why Anthy still does what she does. She has to remind Utena of who she is.

That's also why the side characters can't recall past events. The academy makes you forget. Until they find the will to leave, they will be forever doomed to repeat their actions.

In the movie, Anthy's brother is more frail and small of stature. This is because he's already been defeated. The confrontation at the end is his last struggling gasp to try to bring Anthy under his control again. In the end, of course, Anthy and Utena plow through the illusions and escape together into adulthood, into a world without the BS arbitrary rules to bind them, where they can make their own path together under the stars in the real sky.

For the first time I've just watched the series, then the movie and I 100% agree with you.
Also the scene with Touga where Utena remembers and he is seen as being dead. It can be interpreted as her thanking him for the conversation they had in the series, also her calling him her true prince makes a lot more sense following the events of the series too.
Modified by JokerVentura, May 4, 3:19 PM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]