Forum Settings
Forums

Does ecchi make you want to watch an anime or turn away from it?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 11, 2010 11:49 AM

May 2010
Ecchi adds a little more color into an anime as I might say. Some anime could need some, some need less of. Without Ecchi or any sort of sexual additions, anime would be cartoons
I have nothing to put here. Go me.
Sep 11, 2010 11:53 AM

Apr 2009
at first i liked it.. but then i got bored and never watched any of that shit =)
Sep 11, 2010 12:02 PM

Aug 2010
ShotaOnion said:
Ecchi adds a little more color into an anime as I might say. Some anime could need some, some need less of. Without Ecchi or any sort of sexual additions, anime would be cartoons

I disagree. Animes still sport quite a different feel compared to mere cartoons, even the ones who try to be cute/silly/funny like some slice-of-life animes. In fact, I daresay those are more likely to have for instance more mature and subtler jokes or situations that aren't really suited for kids.

As for the ecchi in anime, I`m strongly against it if the anime goes for the pure-hearted moe towards some rather childish acting characters. If it doesn't however, I guess that's fine, though I haven't really watched anything stronger than School Days in that regard.
jiyuudanseiSep 11, 2010 12:12 PM
Sep 11, 2010 12:05 PM

Feb 2010
I can't watch deep or serious stuff one after other without a stop so there comes the ecchi-comedy animes. They make me smile in the middle of the night but its hard to find a good one. But the best ecchies are the serious ones cuz they are like dreams coming true. A boy dreams about being cool and strong to attract girls, fighting among monsters and having sexy girls around you , life goals- check.
Sep 11, 2010 12:19 PM

Dec 2009
Eh, I usually am annoyed by it. Ecchi is usually randomly and distastefully placed in anime.

Though there are a lot of cases where I've been attracted to anime because of it (Ga Rei Zero).
Sep 11, 2010 12:27 PM

Jan 2010
Usually it just makes me turn away. I'm a straight girl, so I have no interest in seeing boobs flopping around and panty shots. But I still watch some ecchi anime regardless of the fact that I don't like it. And I can honestly say the only ecchi anime I really liked was B Gata H Kei.

ShotaOnion said:

So what, you think if it has sexual situations then it's not a cartoon...? That's like saying South Park, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Family Guy aren't cartoons. :S
QueenOfAlbionSep 11, 2010 12:31 PM
Sep 11, 2010 4:15 PM
Jun 2009
Makes me turn away because I'm not a lesbian.
Sep 11, 2010 4:31 PM

Apr 2009
Ecchi is an immediate one strike for me, too, especially overuse of it. Except if it's labeled as an ecchi anime since that's expected, if it's tolerable.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Sep 11, 2010 5:16 PM
Mar 2010
Meh, Kinda depends I normally get bored when watching ecchi due to it usually has a lot of bakabaka punch comedy in it which piss me off.
Sep 11, 2010 6:21 PM

Apr 2009
I don't normally care for it. I mean, sometimes it can be okay, but I'd prefer more tasteful sexual jokes. But I'd prefer if it didn't detract from more serious stories where it's out of place >.>"
Sep 11, 2010 6:35 PM
Jun 2008
Anime_Name said:
Topgunuk69 said:

It's not great and I'd rather a serious non-ecchi Zombie Anime but I don't hate it despite the facepalm-inducing amount of fanservice on show, I guess it's the exception that proves the rule for me.

The problem with that horror that causes the same fear reaction in Live Action is hard to do in anime. I think Daisuke Sato correctly kept in mind the that on the immediate surface the zombie genre is about gore, sex, and survival. While hidden deeper among the narratives and epilogues the zombie genre is about choices and rebirth.
sound very nice. Maybe the mix of ecchi and zombie killing action HoTd is just not my taste.
Sep 11, 2010 6:38 PM

Dec 2008
In a way, I sort of agree. Fanservice can be quite extensive and very obvious at times, like when a girl tells a guy not to peep, you bet he's going to peep, whether intensionally or unintentionally. Those moments have to be either carefully thought out or actually funny to make me go, "Oh no," or "Oh, jeez," or make me laugh.

When an anime advertises itself with fanservice or ecchi qualities, it does kind of make me expect less out of it. There is tasteful ecchi, where it can be well planned and written well, but a lot of anime that is built on ecchi moment after ecchi moment grow old really, really fast. They always kind of have.

I don't really care for women TRYING to get a guy's attention by "tripping" and showing off her panties or submissive side, or even overly clueless girls doing something similar. If it's for a comedy series and/or it's cleverly planned, it's great. If the anime is built around something like that premise, it bores the hell out of me despite how badly I want to give it a chance.

I guess I'm just not one for mindless, thoughtless, and obvious ecchi and ecchi-y like characters. Unless it carries itself well enough..
Sep 11, 2010 8:22 PM

Jan 2009
As a huge hentai fan, ecchi makes me much more likely to watch a given series. I can't resist fanservice :3.
Tissues not included.
Sep 11, 2010 8:25 PM

Jan 2008
I personally do not mind ecchi, but it does get a bit tedious after a while, especially when their breasts are as huge as their face and they can move like it's nothing. Sekirei for example. Having trouble just watching it because of the MC's group... good thing I could care less about him and them.
Sep 11, 2010 8:43 PM
May 2010
i like ecchi, unless it interferes with the plot.
A perfect example of when ecchi is terrible is OVA #3 of To Love-Ru.
Sep 11, 2010 8:55 PM

Aug 2008
S0S_Brigade said:

ya i agree with that. im fine with ecchi as well unless it interferes too much. a lot of the times they do tend to go overboard a bit and it takes away from the overall story and such though
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Sep 12, 2010 1:36 AM

Aug 2009
turn away definitely...
I don't I want to see smth that's uh... (sigh) erotic.
Sep 12, 2010 7:07 AM

May 2010
Turn away.
Sep 12, 2010 7:59 AM

Jun 2010
I don't care at all. Ecchii is fine but if it isn't there i don't care either. I just care about the plot or comedy in an anime.
Sep 12, 2010 8:06 AM

Aug 2010
S0S_Brigade said:
A perfect example of when ecchi is terrible is OVA #3 of To Love-Ru.

That happens to be my favorite ova episode of To Love-Ru, lol.
Sep 12, 2010 8:09 AM

Apr 2008
If the anime has the main plot focused around ecchi and fanservice then I won't watch it...I can only take so many randomly placed pantie and cleavage shots.

But if it's a series where some ecchi parts are here and there and it is supposed to be in the series then I really don't mind it.
Sep 12, 2010 9:09 AM

Aug 2010
I'm a healthy 19yo male. OF COURSE it makes me want to watch it xD

But then again there's a limit. Degenerating the plot while dumping tons of fanservice is just sad to watch.
Sep 12, 2010 10:14 AM

Jun 2009
it's okay if it's for comedy anime,,but for serious anime definitely ruin the mood...
Sep 12, 2010 10:57 AM

Jul 2010
Definite turn away. Constant panty shots or boobs 2x the size of your body, Nooo thank you. Example? Highschool of the Dead.

However, if the ecchi is done right at the right time, then I wouldn't mind.
Sep 12, 2010 12:05 PM

Sep 2008
Ecchi is generally a turn-off for me, but if the anime is good enough in other areas like comedy and story, I can overlook it. I just really hate it when the ecchi takes over a decent show and makes it shit. (HSOTD. -_-)
Sep 12, 2010 12:37 PM

Sep 2009
Often when anime has ecchi it often means that the plot/characters aren't that good. So I like to keep ecchi away when I want to watch something good.
Sep 12, 2010 1:21 PM

Aug 2007
Most of times turn away from it, I really dont like ecchi
Sep 12, 2010 1:58 PM
Oct 2009
Depends, but usually I'll watch.
Sep 12, 2010 2:22 PM

Jul 2008
It tends to turn me away. I've seen some decent ecchi, but it's not my favourite genre. What bothers me the most is when shows seem to think boobs are filled with water.
EmbahSep 12, 2010 2:29 PM
Sep 12, 2010 4:34 PM

Jul 2009
Ecchi didn't really bother me until I started watching Highschool of the Dead!

I was hoping for a great zombie, horror series featuring tradegy and hardship, howevever the ecchi really lowers the tone and dissolves any eerie atmospher the series could potentially have.
Seriously; there have been entire episdoes dedicated to ecchi; were the actual theme barely gets a mention.

Sep 12, 2010 5:37 PM

Aug 2010
IZUMI64 said:
it's okay if it's for comedy anime,,but for serious anime definitely ruin the mood...
Sep 12, 2010 5:39 PM
Mar 2010
Yeah, ecchi is just an excuse to skip out on the story line imo.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Sep 12, 2010 7:38 PM

Jun 2008
Since anime is ENTERTAINMENT, I don't mind.

In fact I rather watch an ecchi fest than a complicated plot that is boring and doesn't deliver any fun moments or "entertainment" for that matter.

BTW, I rate ecchi anime the same way I would rate any other anime, to be fair it DOES usually get lower than non-ecchi anime, but that's not because of the ecchi component, it's because most of them are not well done.

Here are some of my favorite ecchi anime:

HOTD (best ecchi anime of all time!)
R+V season 1
Sora no Otoshimono
Ladies vs. Butlers
Seikon no Qwaser
Sep 12, 2010 8:02 PM

Aug 2010
It's distracting and I find it kinda creepy if you want me to be totally honest.
Sep 12, 2010 8:10 PM

Jul 2010
I love hentai.... so I love Ecchi...

But the story have to be good to keep me watching one ecchi...
Sep 12, 2010 8:54 PM
Nov 2009
It depends on how...bad the ecchi content can get to.

Using an example...like To-Love Ru. The manga was somehow okay, but the anime adaption made it even more pointless and intolerable for me to watch with the ecchi content...

Moderation is key, ja? Well, for me.
Sep 12, 2010 11:05 PM
Aug 2010
it depends on the anime.. like sometimes the ecchi ruins the anime
i usually turn away from ecchi unless the storyline is good
Sep 12, 2010 11:10 PM

Jul 2008
I'm not into ecchi but if theres a series that im interested in i can tolerate it as long as its not exaggerated (huge boobs ect.).
Sep 12, 2010 11:11 PM

Apr 2010
alexcampos said:
Since anime is ENTERTAINMENT, I don't mind.

In fact I rather watch an ecchi fest than a complicated plot that is boring and doesn't deliver any fun moments or "entertainment" for that matter.

BTW, I rate ecchi anime the same way I would rate any other anime, to be fair it DOES usually get lower than non-ecchi anime, but that's not because of the ecchi component, it's because most of them are not well done.

Here are some of my favorite ecchi anime:

HOTD (best ecchi anime of all time!)
R+V season 1
Sora no Otoshimono
Ladies vs. Butlers
Seikon no Qwaser

Took the words right out've my mouth (although i'd disagree on your picks for good ecchi stuff).

I can understand that its not exactly very high up in the "Sophistication of anime" chain, and really... a lot of bad anime fall back on it just to force a few cheap laughs... But done right, ecchi can be a joy to behold and truly turn a good anime into a great one. It can be funny, just that an anime shouldn't totally rely on it.

My picks for great ecchi anime are Maburaho, Inukami, and Desert Punk
Sep 13, 2010 12:13 PM

Apr 2010
I like Seikon no Qwaser, because of the religion matters.Of course, the religion is nothing but an excuse for boobies, but I still watch it. And I kinda like R+V because it can be funny at times.
On the whole, I don't mind an ecchi anime, unless it' the "Oops, I accidentally fell and now my hand is on your boobs" type of ecchi.And that's why I'll never watch To LOVE Ru, even if Yami is adorable.
And I don't think I'll be watching HoTD either.
Sep 13, 2010 12:25 PM

Apr 2010
All people who says that doesen't like ecchi moments are big liars...If they don't like to see some ecchi moments with girls...maybe they prefere to see some nasty guys in some perverted moments...I'm a man...so yeahhh...Ecchi ,make's me keep watching anime...for me it's more funny to see the female protagonist's in some ecchi moments and how the male characters that are watching them tend to get silly, and sometimes bearable to watch anime's with complicated plot that make's my head hurt...
Shiro-Sep 13, 2010 12:30 PM
Sep 13, 2010 12:30 PM
Dec 2009
It all depends on the show.It can be great and make me want to watch more or it can do the exact opposite and turn me away from it.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Sep 13, 2010 12:53 PM

Mar 2010
Doesn't really matter to me either way.. all tough i do ROFL at the ecchi jokes in Seitokai Yakuindomo & Mitsudomoe.

Sep 13, 2010 1:52 PM
Dec 2007
ShiroChan89 said:
All people who says that doesen't like ecchi moments are big liars...If they don't like to see some ecchi moments with girls...maybe they prefere to see some nasty guys in some perverted moments...I'm a man...so yeahhh...Ecchi ,make's me keep watching anime...for me it's more funny to see the female protagonist's in some ecchi moments and how the male characters that are watching them tend to get silly, and sometimes bearable to watch anime's with complicated plot that make's my head hurt...
So, are you implying guys have to like ecchi otherwise we are lying to ourselves or/and gay?

Sep 13, 2010 2:18 PM

Jun 2008
Leon-Gun said:
ShiroChan89 said:
So, are you implying guys have to like ecchi otherwise we are lying to ourselves or/and gay?

He probably didn't say the right words, but I also believe that some people are lying when they say they don't like ecchi, mostly because they are afraid that other people will think they are "weird" for liking animated girls.

As for myself, I have no problem saying I like ecchi and I have no problem saying animated girls look hot and in certain anime ecchi is a good thing.
Sep 13, 2010 4:53 PM
Dec 2007
alexcampos said:

He probably didn't say the right words, but I also believe that some people are lying when they say they don't like ecchi, mostly because they are afraid that other people will think they are "weird" for liking animated girls.
Well you might be correct about some secretly liking it, but I'm one of those who ussually just shake my head when I see it, especially when it's just there to cover for lack of a good premise and/or plot. Nothing sucks more than seeing a decent romantic comedy fall on the pitfall of ecchi misunderstandings and triangle relationships.

I have to admit I have seen one or two of those guilty pleasure ecchi series, but in those you go in knowing full well what you are getting.

Sep 13, 2010 6:54 PM

Aug 2009
Not at all.
Sep 13, 2010 7:26 PM

Aug 2010
love it, it makes it more interesting lol
Sep 27, 2010 6:14 AM

Apr 2010
Kinda turn away with it, i find it really annoying xD
Sep 27, 2010 6:31 AM

Jul 2008
Depends on how it's used, something like say Bakemonogatari where the ecchi is a side factor, not really strong and used for a comedic effect, I can deal with, same with GTO.
And then you have anime like R+V, a panty shot every other frame doesn't count as entertainment to me, especially when you slaughter the little plot the original had.

So yeah, ecchi makes me turn away most of the time, mostly because I look for more than just *jiggle, panty shot, teehee*
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

15 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

43 by Toooooooooohru »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

71 by AzafuseKingTora »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.