Forum Settings
Forums

Does ecchi make you want to watch an anime or turn away from it?

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Post New Reply
Oct 27, 2010 10:49 AM

I usually don't really matter some ecchi in shows (i watched quite a few ''ecchi shows''. But if you're going to something like ''Seikon no Qwaser'' (aka a series that does hentai but does not want to be rated as it xD) or something like that it's a bit too much for me ..
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Oct 27, 2010 11:16 AM

Too much fanservice and I turn off my computer/TV.

Oct 27, 2010 11:42 AM

As long as it doesn't have too big a role in the series, I'm ok with it. Ecchi can actually be a nice add to anime, if it's placed around with some sense and good taste.

On other hand, for instance High School of the Dead and KissxSis are good examples of ecchi, which makes makes me turn away. It's unnecessary and used too often.

Oct 27, 2010 11:53 AM

I watch most and like them, but some are bad.

I didn't care for girls bravo.
Modified by Hylian, Oct 27, 2010 12:16 PM

Oct 27, 2010 11:57 AM
I don't really care whether it's in or not

Oct 27, 2010 1:41 PM

I wouldn't turn away from it, ecchi can add an interesting layer of excitement to any anime. Though, perverse actions may render an anime unwatchable when there is no strong plot involved. You have to remember anime tends to be aimed at the younger generation, and it just so happens to be true that some of the kids that watch anime will be interested in awkward scenes that would generally be uncommon in their life. As long as it's not senseless, and it blends nicely with the anime, then I would actually prefer to watch an anime which has forms of ecchi, than some romance without the scenes where stuff happens. It just adds more variety!

Oct 27, 2010 2:13 PM

Depends since most ecchi is in a harem setting and then you cant help but dislike the pathetic male lead surrounded by a bland female cast, it makes most hate it.

But if it isnt too subtle and theres actually plot, then yea, I wouldnt mind it at all.

Oct 27, 2010 2:29 PM
Don't like it, won't even consider watching it. Give me something with depth, or something badass, just cut the cartoon boobs, they're pointless.

Oct 27, 2010 5:30 PM

Hmm..after watching the tons of ecchi anime that i have..theres only one real thing i can say..

Needs moar Ecchi. ;3

Oct 27, 2010 5:50 PM

Ecchi doesn't turn me away from a series, but it does make me turn away from recommending it. I love Mahou Sensei Negima, but it's hard to convince people to read through the first fanservice chapters to get to the real action.

Oct 27, 2010 7:12 PM

Bob_Squob said:
Ecchi doesn't turn me away from a series, but it does make me turn away from recommending it. I love Mahou Sensei Negima, but it's hard to convince people to read through the first fanservice chapters to get to the real action.

My first Manga was Love Hina, so I had no problems with MSN :P

Well, when I started with Anime/Manga (excluding childhood), I thought ecchi to be... ridiculous and I just didn't understand the sense in it. With exploring further into the world, I then began to realize the awesomeness of ecchi (hyperbole, indeed).

Nowadays I don't really care if a series includes ecchi, though I can have a heartily love, when it is, and it is cute, sometimes, so plus points. :)

Oct 31, 2010 8:53 AM
For most anime fans I interact with, it's a turn off. I personally don't care. It doesn't save a bad show, it doesn't damn a good one.

Oct 31, 2010 11:44 AM

Fan service ruins serious atmospheres, but don't really affect the mood in anime that are meant for it. I'll usually turn away from ecchi, since fan service in a serious anime makes me facepalm, and an anime meant for fan service usually comes with lame jokes and a crappy plot, which also makes me facepalm.

Oct 31, 2010 11:59 AM

ArtRodriguez said:
Discuss. Are you one of those people that falls for the marketing behind (most) anime or the type that automatically doesn't like it?

Personally, the idea of an ecchi anime automatically has one strike against it. It's just that since I'm older, cartoon boobs are kinda odd for me to stare at.

I absolutely HATE these pervert anime !

Oct 31, 2010 1:45 PM

Yoo much ecchi feels like "Lol we don't have a decent plotline so let's put in lotsa hot girls in it and someone will watch it." HOTD is like this.

But some amount of ecchi in anime is good. I am watching NHK right now and the amount of ecchi in it doesn't bother me at all, and actually i like it.

Anyway, ecchi won't make me want to watch an anime. If I want to see naked anime girls, I'll go to gelbooru. I don't have to watch through a cliched storyline to see it.

Oct 31, 2010 1:54 PM

usually turn away 4 ex. in rosario+vampire i wasn't rlly interested 2 see their panties
like 550 times

Oct 31, 2010 1:55 PM

lamya-87 said:
ArtRodriguez said:
Discuss. Are you one of those people that falls for the marketing behind (most) anime or the type that automatically doesn't like it?

Personally, the idea of an ecchi anime automatically has one strike against it. It's just that since I'm older, cartoon boobs are kinda odd for me to stare at.

I absolutely HATE these pervert anime !

agreed it's stupid
like in total zero
in the 1-st season the boy wasn't an perv but in the 2 and 3-rd he becamed one
and i was like WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oct 31, 2010 1:56 PM

Avalongus said:
Fan service ruins serious atmospheres, but don't really affect the mood in anime that are meant for it. I'll usually turn away from ecchi, since fan service in a serious anime makes me facepalm, and an anime meant for fan service usually comes with lame jokes and a crappy plot, which also makes me facepalm.
agreed

Oct 31, 2010 2:00 PM

LetsJam said:

xD

Oct 31, 2010 3:50 PM

I personally do not like ecchi anime. Once and a while I don't mind it, but if a series has its backbone made of ecchi well that's too one dimensional for me. It's like spice: too much seasoning and you've ruined the meal.

Oct 31, 2010 9:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think it's "perverted" or wrong, I just don't find the charm in it. It adds nothing of interest for me, as I'd rather gaze at real girls than cartoon girls. Which doesn't mean that characters can't show skin or whatever, as long as it fits the characters and adds to the story I'm okay with whatever they do, including showing some skin or tits.

Oct 31, 2010 9:56 PM

When ecchi is the plot (queens blade) turn away.

When it is a sub genre (HOTD, R+V, Ganz) don't turn away.

I mean how much more awesome would shows like Pokemon be if they had some fan service?

Nov 1, 2010 1:38 AM

yeah it makes me turn away from watching ecchi genre..
but i think no matter how much i want to turn away from watching it..
it keeps approaching..lol i mean many animes (not all) have ecchi in it
to give a charm for a story to survive...(,")

Nov 4, 2010 12:42 PM

If it's done purely for fanservice, then don't do it. When it's made for artistic purposes (Ghost in the Shell's camo-suit), go for it.
My Movie Reviews
Currently Playing: Muv-Luv Unlimited
Currently Watching: House M.D., Louie, The Newsroom, Princess Tutu

Nov 4, 2010 5:02 PM
The answer is neither.

Nov 4, 2010 5:27 PM

Ehh, I don't really take that into account when I go to watch an anime. I look at story, art style, characters, etc. I want something that's interesting. Whether it has boobs or not isn't a factor.

However, if I did find out that an anime had ecchi in it before I started to watch it, I'd probably be a little more wary. I can't say I'm a huge fan.

Nov 4, 2010 5:30 PM
It depends on if they go out with guns blazing, or if they pussy out.

I recently completed B Gata H Kei, and that was a real cop out. It wanted to be ecchi, but it really wasn't trying hard enough, especially when they try to incorporate some kind of romance.

Ecchi doesn't turn me away, it just depends on how they go about using it.

Oct 18, 2015 7:04 AM

Leon-Gun said:
Kairen said:
I would watch it, since anime won't as funny witohut Ecchi.
Unless you wanna go something like K-ON or Arakawa.
This is rather subjective. IMO, fanservice-type of ecchi tends to ruin anime shows. When decent romantic comedy suddenly starts throwing the character into stupid misunderstandings with girls who don't hesitate to expose their attributes for all to see then it becomes rather detrimental.

In other words, a little controlled ecchi humor is fine, but anything more should be kept inside shows made exclusively with that kind of situations in mind, otherwise they're just ruining the show's original premise. Everything has a place.

Personally I don't mind some ecchi shows as long as they don't take the situations too far, but sure as hell keep that fanservice away from more pure or serious anime, kthxbye.

Pretty much what this person said. I don't mind it some if it's done right. A little humor can be a good thing. It's when they take it way too far or try to interject it into the middle of a really dramatic or dark situation that bothers me. I also do not like it when they go extreme with it. Why have someone's superpowers powered by breast milk for goodness sake? I mean could you imagine Superman having to stop and get a drink before saving the day? I also HATE it when they try really hard to make a character a complete pervert. I really don't get Japans love of all things pervert. A little misunderstanding here or there can be fun but it's hard to care about any character who just isn't a decent person.

In my opinion Shakugan No Shana is a good example of it done right. Most of the problems between Yuuji and Shana were misunderstandings. Like her about to change clothes in front of him before she gets all self conscious and realizes hey, he's a boy lol. Then she kicks him out of the room. Stuff like that can be fun but sometimes they just try way too hard to get a laugh and it ruins a show. Fanservice can also be fun if it's not horribly obvious. One example of fan service I don't like is the show K with the blue's second in command. I don't remember her name lol but it's just way overdone with her. Her breasts are ginormous and her outfit can barely contain them. Of course that outfit gets messed up a lot. I don't mind it so bad with the cat-girl. Again I don't remember her name lol. She's kinda cute and it makes sense her not wearing clothes in the beginning because she's a cat. K is not a perfect show and to me it's fanservice is just like the show, sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

Oct 18, 2015 7:31 AM

LetsJam said:

Only if these MAL users were active to see Valkyrie Drive Mermaid
All credit goes to Sacred.

Oct 18, 2015 8:30 AM

doesn't give any shit.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Oct 18, 2015 8:33 AM

I usually ignore them but sometimes I watch them for no special reason
I want a cool signature but Idk how to make them.
Liking traps isn't gay.

Oct 18, 2015 8:34 AM

absentminded said:
doesn't give any shit.

Oct 18, 2015 12:41 PM
ArtRodriguez said:

İm exactly reversed to what you said i got older and loved ecchi more . İ have been watching ecchi animes for 2 years and Naruto , One Piece , Bleach for 5 years . First it was just making me pass expect those big 3 then i got used to it , for some reason i started to like it .

Oct 18, 2015 12:42 PM

Illyricus said:
absentminded said:
doesn't give any shit.

Oct 18, 2015 1:57 PM

To be honest , i like anime that have ecchi in it , but i don't kinda like it , if they make to much ecchi scene. it's annoying, sometimes.

Oct 18, 2015 2:02 PM

I do it for the IRONY.
CLICK ME!

Oct 18, 2015 2:18 PM

If done well it can make a shit show watchable but usually it just hurts shows that I would really like without it. An ecchi tag isn't enough for me to not watch something but it does lower my expectations.

Oct 18, 2015 2:20 PM

It works for some series like monogatari and KLK but most of the time it's really dub.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Oct 18, 2015 2:47 PM

It has no effect on me.

I pay more attention to the character design. If I find it very sexy and inventive, I'd give it a shot. If the art style looks dull, then I'll assume it's crap. If you're making ecchi, at least put effort into making your characters look sexy. Sekirei looks so dull.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

Nov 23, 2015 4:48 AM
I dont like eechi especially if its a really good anime with interesting plot, good characters and great graphics and I dont know what makes Chest, crotch and butts funny for other people [IF and only IF it was in real life would you like your own private parts to be seen or touch? I know its ONLY anime but think about it O_O] :/ when you expose or touch them in an anime, I dont get it whats so funny....Its fine if its just playful jokes but when it overdid the anime makes no sense to me anymore.

Nov 23, 2015 6:55 AM

It depends. If the series is just pure fanservice with a weak or incoherent plot (ex. Punch Line), I'd rather not bother with it. But if fanservice is used to supplement an otherwise good plot (ex. Bakemonogatari), I don't mind it. There are some exceptions like Highschool of the Dead that I enjoy because they're "so stupid they're fun."

Nov 23, 2015 6:58 AM

Indifferent

Nov 24, 2015 7:41 AM
If it's not R+ or has very cute characters that become victims of light/steam/convenient censors, I'll not watch it.

However, if it has ecchi elements combined with a great plot or scenery (Monogatari and KLK come to mind), then I'll not bother watching it.
Modified by astral_backlight, Nov 24, 2015 11:17 AM
I'm not busy at my anime hobby atm. Better find me at RateYourMusic.

Nov 24, 2015 7:53 AM

i don't mind it but i'm not gonna watch it just for the tag, if there is more to it than just ecchi and story grips me then definitely watch it

Nov 24, 2015 7:57 AM

In my opinion the tags Ecchi,School,Harem,Supernatural,Action,Superpowers would make a masterpiece.

Nov 24, 2015 8:51 AM

depends, ecchi has the ability to save a show that wouldn't be all that good on its own or take a show that would have been bad and make it worse, depends on the show/ execution. to answer the question not really going to turn me away or make me want to watch it, i tend to care more about the production staff and plot synopses then i do about demographic.

Nov 24, 2015 9:40 AM
is awesome

Depends if it has something else going for it. Ecchi alone won't attract me... aside from guilty pleasure stuff.

Nov 24, 2015 9:53 AM
No Ecchi No Life LoOoOoOoL XDD

Nov 24, 2015 9:56 AM

AdamYD said:
No Ecchi No Life LoOoOoOoL XDD

Nov 24, 2015 10:13 AM

I'm a weird person, so... both.
What a beautiful Duwang.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »