Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 7, 2010 6:48 AM

Aug 2008
I noticed that it's relationship to Divine Wars is classified as "other", and was wondering whether Divine Wars should be watched first.

Quite frankly, while I do plan to watch this series, I'm not a big Mecha fan and if possible, would like to avoid watching the first series before this starts. Would I be missing out on anything?
Sep 13, 2010 4:12 PM

Sep 2009
I can't say without having seen it, but most likely (almost definitely) this will be a direct sequel to Divine Wars (and, in turn, will be followed by "the animation"), so, for instance, you'd have missed the whole DC war. However, the DC war can be summed up in a few words, so if they include a bit of narration, you won't miss much history wise- but the biggest thing you'll have missed is that you won't know who the characters are.

For instance, if someone shouts "He's got a Colossal Blade!" (which they will almost definitely do) you may be expected to know which character they are referring to. But it depends on how they write the script. Once I've see the show, I'll try and be more helpful XD

-long story short, "the inspectors" is based off the OG2 game, while "Divine Wars" is based off OG1, and in the games at least, playing OG2 without OG1 makes the dialogue nearly incomprehensible at times. But in the (GBA) games, the plot is progressed almost entirely through text, so an anime may be easier to understand.
Sep 14, 2010 3:55 AM

Aug 2008
Thanks for that, guess I'll sit down and watch the first season in a day. If its a direct sequel, isn't it strange that it's listed as "other" under related anime?
Sep 16, 2010 1:10 AM

Sep 2009
probably because whoever made this page doesn't know much about SRW. For that matter, divine wars has been changed to SRT rather than SRW, despite JAM screaming Super Robot Wars in the intro (among other things). Plus there's no mention of "the animation" on this page- "the animation" will probably end up being a direct sequel to this series, but that depends on when this one ends.
Sep 18, 2010 4:18 PM

Feb 2007
slax said:
probably because whoever made this page doesn't know much about SRW. For that matter, divine wars has been changed to SRT rather than SRW, despite JAM screaming Super Robot Wars in the intro (among other things). Plus there's no mention of "the animation" on this page- "the animation" will probably end up being a direct sequel to this series, but that depends on when this one ends.

To be a little more correct:
Both Divine Wars and this new anime are based upon the PS2 remakes, Original Generations(OGs), while the OVA was created as a sequel to the GBA OG2 game. For the sequel to OGs, OG Gaiden, they incorporated the plot of the OVA into that game and expanded upon it and mixing it in with th eother stories in the Gaiden game and as a result the OVA is no longer all that canon, but feel free to watch if you want a little bit of an idea as to what goes on in OG Gaiden.

Sep 24, 2010 2:06 PM

Mar 2009
Good thing Ive seen both Divine Wars and the animation AND i've played Original Generations 2 for the GBA So i know whats going on and who everyone is
PROUD TO BE A CANADIAN
When the going get tough, the though get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!

Oct 1, 2010 8:01 AM
Apr 2009
Apparently nobody else did, so I edited the relations. Hopefully a moderator will see that soon.
Oct 2, 2010 8:49 PM

Feb 2008
KaiserMagus said:
Apparently nobody else did, so I edited the relations. Hopefully a moderator will see that soon.
I don't know what happened to your submissions but they haven't been approved and I can't find them. No matter, a moderator has arrived! ^^

Is this the correct timeline:
Super Robot Taisen OG: Divine Wars
Super Robot Taisen OG: Divine Wars Special
Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector
Super Robot Taisen OG: The Animation

Also, are the main characters the same throughout? It looks like they switch things around in The Inspector, which should make it a spin-off of Divine Wars.
Oct 3, 2010 9:35 AM
Apr 2009
Huh.

Yes, that's correct. One could quibble about whether The Animation is in continuity with the others (If they make a third television series it will probably have to ignore its existence) but at the moment I don't think there's anything reliable to indicate it's not canon thus far so looks good to me.

Divine Wars' source material, the SRW:OG1 game, let you pick either Ryusei or Kyosuke as your main character and the Divine Wars anime chose to focus a lot more on the Ryusei route. Though in SRW:OG2, and thus one would assume this anime, Kyosuke is the main character. I guess you could technically classify it as a spinoff because of that, though it's a bit odd to think of it that way.
Oct 3, 2010 2:47 PM

Feb 2008
All right, fixed, I hope.
Oct 3, 2010 5:43 PM

Feb 2007
kuroshiroi said:
All right, fixed, I hope.

I've always wondered, would it be worth merging the "special" into the main Divine Wars listing? Its just a DVD only episode which basically serves as episode 26 and finished off the story as episode 25 just ends after the final battle, 26 wraps up most of the loose ends and gives the show a proper end.

Oct 4, 2010 6:52 AM

Feb 2008
Oh, believe me, I would love that but with the way the system is set up, that's just not possible. When we merge things, nothing gets added, it simply gets replaced or ignored while users move over, so everybody would have their stats set at 25/26 etc.

Maybe we'll get some kind of better organisational system in the future (editions, maybe, so you can choose how you watched something, TV, DVD) but for now, we try to follow releases, even when numberings get weird sometimes. You'll also notice we have stuff like K-On!! at 26 episodes even though it's technically 24+2, that's simply due to them releasing 26 episodes on TV in a row.

We have made exceptions, the most notable being Bakemonogatari and Spice & Wolf S1 but those made sense.

We also try to fix things by doing strict story relations, such as having the only sequel to Divine Wars being that special. That way, nobody should miss it...
Oct 4, 2010 11:11 PM

May 2008
To answer what I believe was the original question of 'Does this series make any sense to anyone new to the storyline?' I believe the answer is No.

Well, at least it didn't make any sense to me after watching the first episode and I have not seen Divine Wind. Of course, I think we might need the input of someone who has watched the first series to see if my confusion was 'first-timer confusion' or jut because the episode didn't make any sense in the first place. =P
Oct 5, 2010 1:26 AM

Sep 2009
Umm, I probably should mention as a warning that watching DW won't help you understand the first episode of the inspectors.
Oct 7, 2010 4:49 PM

Sep 2009
Urgh, I was trying to refrain from posting this because it makes it overly complex, but now that someone's brought it up I guess I should say the following:

It *can* be a sequel because:

However, even IF this were true (and there is only fanwanky evidence to say it is), then it could still be the case that DW and the inspectors don't share the same timeline.

Basically, every time they retcon/adapt the series, you can use the above argument to justify the retcon/adaptions.

Also, The inspectors isn't based off the GBA OG1- it's based off the PS2 rebuild/expansion of OG1 (and for that matter, endless frontier)- that much is clear from the first episode.

But for simplicity, I think that DW->Inspectors->the animation is perfectly fine for now, unless we start getting rectons that show that the three can't coexist (which we may), but only time will tell in that regard.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector Episode 3 Discussion

garfield15 - Oct 17, 2010

31 by zurgboy00 »»
Aug 4, 2017 10:14 AM

Poll: » Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector Episode 26 Discussion

slax - Apr 1, 2011

19 by Zankantou »»
Oct 20, 2016 9:32 PM

Poll: » Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector Episode 9 Discussion

slax - Nov 26, 2010

17 by LoongFeels »»
Apr 8, 2014 12:03 AM

Poll: » Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector Episode 8 Discussion

slax - Nov 19, 2010

23 by LoongFeels »»
Apr 7, 2014 8:28 AM

Poll: » Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector Episode 7 Discussion

slax - Nov 12, 2010

11 by LoongFeels »»
Apr 7, 2014 7:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.