@ MorningGlory

I didn't do what you did, I just got the info from here:

Statistics
Score: 9.171 (scored by 29581 users)
Ranked: #1
Popularity: #22
Members: 66,244
Favorites: 5,654

But whatever, we're not here to discuss FMA, I was only using it as an example.

Either way the numbers are skewed and don't have a proper relationship to how many people are watching and have completed or dropped an anime. MAL is showing a rating of 9.17 for 29581 for FMA, I didn't make that up, you can see it for yourself right now.

Sep 9, 2010 8:38 AM
@alexcampos
Oh... now I see the problem.Click here.The information shown here are more detail for your further study.
I have no idea how MAL can get this number(29,581)...Maybe some complicated calculation involve in it .....
If you mix people watching(full number) and Plan to Watch, the calculation doesn't look logic at all.
Modified by MorningGlory, Sep 9, 2010 8:44 AM

Sep 9, 2010 8:55 AM
alexcampos said:
MorningGlory said:
Watching: 25,136
voter :13,542

Nah... need to wait until at least 80% people vote to get a REAL score.
not all people are so hardworking that will vote a show before it even finish.

OK, I will now prove that MAL's rating system is not only flawed, it should be eliminated and replaced with a better one.

Let's take for example FMA Brotherhood it is currently #1 in the rankings, OR IS IT

FMA Brotherhood:

Total Memebers: 66,239
Voters: 29,577..................NOT EVEN HALF!!!

Death Note (#1 in Popularity, #15 in rankings)

Total Members: 133,475
Voters: 100,196...................A much better proportion and a more realistic actual rating than FMA or HOTD or the majority of anime.

FMA only finished a few months ago, so those are just the people that haven't gotten around to finishing it. Death Note is much older, so it's to be expected that it has a good portion of people who are watching it.

Also, I don't know why, but if you put an anime on your PTW, you're already considered it's member.

BUT the point is, HSotD isn't finished airing. That means everything could change in a flash. Remember when Gintama finished? Everyone started giving it 10/10 and made it #1 for a few days.

Sep 9, 2010 9:04 AM
Gintama ^.^
Epic. 11/10
deserve to be Top #1

I am just trying to prove that most All Anime has more than 80% people voting for it after the Anime finished.
and Most All on-going Anime has less than 50% people voting for it and most non-voter are just waiting the Anime to finish to vote.
Modified by MorningGlory, Sep 9, 2010 9:08 AM

Sep 9, 2010 10:09 AM

OBSESSION

Sep 9, 2010 10:16 AM

MorningGlory said:
@alexcampos
Oh... now I see the problem.Click here.The information shown here are more detail for your further study.
I have no idea how MAL can get this number(29,581)...Maybe some complicated calculation involve in it .....
If you mix people watching(full number) and Plan to Watch, the calculation doesn't look logic at all.

OK, that was helpful, but it also proves a point that MAL is ranking and rating in a weird way.

But again, I go back to my main point, it doesn't matter what the rankings are, my top 10 anime would not be anywhere near MAL's top 10, in fact I'm almost 100% sure the majority of people's top 10 do not reflect those of MAL's.

You can't take the rankings so seriously, you should just watch whatever anime you enjoy and appreciate it's value, rankings just create divisions and conflict.

I don't rank my music or the movies I watch or even the shows (real life) that I watch on TV, I don't know what's the big fascination with ranking anime and everyone having a top 10 for everything.

I must admit, even I have a top ten anime list, but it's not very serious, they are simply the anime I enjoy the most, by no means do I believe that my list is the "best" anime or anything like that.

Technically I don't even know HOW someone can say that any anime is better than any other, since everything is subjective and no anime are alike.

In my opinion saying that X anime is better than Y anime is like saying that rock is better than rap, or Apple is better than Microsoft or Pepsi better than Coke.

IT DOESN'T MATTER, in the end everything is subjective, everything is OPINION.

Sep 9, 2010 10:57 AM
first of all, your Rosario + Vampire is an ecchi Anime. For some stupid reason, ecchi Anime doesn't get good rank in MAL.Therefore ,you shouldn't complaint IF HoTD get lousy score as well. THERE!! this solve the reason why people are so fussy about HoTD score being so damn high.

my top 10 anime would not be anywhere near MAL's top 10

Death note . its nearly Top ten LOL
Pepsi better than Coke..
what are you talking about, pepsi and coke has very different taste and color and they are not the same.If you mix them together,they will explode!!!
I believe that my list is the "best" anime or anything like that.

Since you are blocking from people watching your list. Maybe I guess its top secret or something.
rankings just create divisions and conflict.

and also to tell whether your taste is normal or not compare to all the user in MAL.Everyone is special ,so don't bother to much with the ranking ^.^
IT DOESN'T MATTER, in the end everything is subjective, everything is OPINION.

Its true, but There won't be any discussion left If everyone stick to this idea.hehehe. To be honest,IF everyone in this world think like that, war won't even begin.
Modified by MorningGlory, Sep 9, 2010 11:00 AM

Sep 9, 2010 11:27 AM

MorningGlory said:
first of all, your Rosario + Vampire is an ecchi Anime. For some stupid reason, ecchi Anime doesn't get good rank in MAL.Therefore ,you shouldn't complaint IF HoTD get lousy score as well.

Are you referring to my avatar???

If so, you should know that in my profile I list Moka Akashiya as my favorite anime character that's why it's my avatar, that's it.

Although I do enjoy the R+V manga, and it's one of my all time favorites.

MorningGlory said:

Since you are blocking from people watching your list. Maybe I guess its top secret or something.

I'm blocking it because no one needs to know what the ratings are that I give to any anime, HOWEVER I would happily share my Top 10 with you or anyone else.

#1 Bleach (I don't want to hear any bitching, this is MY LIST)
#2 Code Geass series (this includes both seasons)
#3 Death Note
#4 Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
#5 Naruto Shippuden
#6 Gurren Lagann
#7 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (this includes both seasons)
#8 Hellsing Ultimate
#9 Bakemonogatari
#10 Shakugan no Shana (this includes both seasons)

So there you go, it's not a secret, this is my list according to how much I enjoyed these anime, I'm putting this up as a show of confidence that you won't ridicule and make fun of someone else's opinion, especially for putting Bleach #1, that's MY CHOICE.

By the way if I had to say HOTD, right now would be VERY close to this top ten list.

Sep 9, 2010 3:20 PM
hotd sux. If I wanna see tits, I would watch hentai.
]

Sep 9, 2010 4:08 PM
HOTD is not that good thats why it is dropping?

Sep 9, 2010 4:59 PM
@alexcampos LOL YOU HAVE BLEACH AS TOP 1 LOLOL. But seriously, I agree with you. I laugh each time I see a topic with "Why is X ranked Y on MAL?" or "X is an overrated piece of trash".

The top10-20 on MAL is a good reference for people who are new to anime. I personally think every anime in the top is good, I may not rate them 9s/10s but they are good in their own ways.

Sep 9, 2010 5:32 PM
@alexcampos
... no comment

Sep 9, 2010 6:11 PM

MorningGlory said:
@alexcampos
... no comment

Oh, c'mon, I was man enough to give you my top 10, at the risk of people laughing at it (thanks Supersayen) the least you can do is give me your top 10.....I'm just curious.

Sep 9, 2010 6:30 PM
LOL
To be honest,I have so much 10/10 that i have problem choosing.
Here are the Anime that I place in my favorite before and current.

1)One Piece(I don't want to hear any bitching, this is MY LIST)
2)Terra e...
3)Konnichiwa Anne
4)Katanagatari
5)Fantastic Children
6)Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu
7)Juuni Kokuki
8)Blood+
9)Princess Tutu
10)Glass Mask (2005)

most of them are not main stream but I like them ^.^
My rating are base on Enlightenment > entertainment and enjoyment.
that is why I rate Elfen lied so low.
Modified by MorningGlory, Sep 9, 2010 6:39 PM

Sep 9, 2010 6:45 PM

@MorningGlory, yeah I haven't seen most of the ones in your top 10, obviously my list is VERY mainstream, but I honestly did enjoy them and it had nothing to do with them being popular.

Anyways, I've always been for enjoying anime as entertainment instead of a serious entity the way others try to make it out.

Sep 9, 2010 7:41 PM

Cause it sucks except for the high quality fanservice
Ok™

Sep 9, 2010 8:54 PM
Kipcha said:
Seriously? Because I'm kinda finding it worse as time goes one. Episode 1 to 3 were really good episodes, and although there was a LOT of fanservice... It wasn't over-the-top ridonkulous stuff.

I mean, sure, a lot of panty shots and whatever, not that bad. But the stress ball boobs, "I'M WET!!!!" and bullet dodging boobs... It's just ridiculous.

My exact thoughts. The show was fine when it had a balance between action and ecchi. I'm not a fan of ecchi but I was willing to look past it. However, it's just gotten ridiculous at this point.

Sep 9, 2010 9:03 PM
well.... get over it, some people don't want fanservice as a substitute for good ol' zombie killing...

I personally also dropped my ranking from an 8 to a 7 as the series progressed (probably on the boob dodging episode...), I find that it is losing it's spark, and I can notice a substantial decline in it's animation quality. The first few episodes were above my expectations after reading the manga, although now it is only meeting my expectations for the series...

When it started HOTD was my favorite of the airing series, but now I find myself looking forward to the next episode of shiki each week instead.

Sep 9, 2010 9:37 PM

"well.... get over it, some people don't want fanservice as a substitute for good ol' zombie killing..."

Good ol fashion zombie killing is usually accompanied with good ol fashioned fan-service.
In fact fan-service is a staple in the horror genre.

The zombie genre boils down to represent humans carnivorous desires for consumerism, sex, and gore.

Sep 9, 2010 9:38 PM
Anime_Name said:
"well.... get over it, some people don't want fanservice as a substitute for good ol' zombie killing..."

Good ol fashion zombie killing is usually accompanied with good ol fashioned fan-service.

The zombie genre boils down to represent humans carnivorous desires for consumerism, sex, and gore.

I agree with everything u just said.
| "In my time, the wowd is WUINED AND WIFEWESS!."

- Paradox (Yugioh: Bonds Beyond Time Abridged Movie) |

Sep 10, 2010 4:36 AM

Anime_Name said:

source pl0x?

Sep 10, 2010 4:46 AM

If you like HOTD, the fanservice and the zombies then good for you. If you don't and find it rubbish with the fanservice then either deal with it or don't watch it simple as that. Like what was said rating is opinionated so yeah you can't get everyone to agree with you on things.

It all comes down to someone's taste and the opinion on things. == No need to flame animes.

Sep 10, 2010 5:02 AM

anime_rulez71 said:
If you like HOTD, the fanservice and the zombies then good for you. If you don't and find it rubbish with the fanservice then either deal with it or don't watch it simple as that. Like what was said rating is opinionated so yeah you can't get everyone to agree with you on things.

It all comes down to someone's taste and the opinion on things. == No need to flame animes.

so its only a bad opinion when you say something negative about the show? flaming is an opinion as much as fanboyism is.

Then there are lots of posts that aint flaming posts, but just good criticism, but for the fanboys everyone saying something negative is a flamer or a hater.

Sep 10, 2010 6:07 AM

Can we just agree that everything is all just down to opinion?

Don't need to take it all too srsly, everyone has a right to say what they want about a show whether they're flaming/giving positive or negative opinion or whatever. As a matter of fact I'm a girl so I don't know about that (I'm not a fangirl of any sort either). You either like it, find it tolerable or hate it.
Modified by AngelusNyx, Sep 10, 2010 6:11 AM

Sep 10, 2010 6:09 AM

because it just barely has a storyline
the ecchi became the 90% of it

Sep 10, 2010 7:47 PM

Onegai said:
Anime_Name said:

source pl0x?
Actually, he's more or less right in this case. Many horror movies in Hollywood has random sex scenes in it (Hostel, Friday the 13th, on the top of my head). Which is also why they're getting bad ratings on sites like IMDB.

So by this line of logic, shouldn't HOTD deserve a low rating be expected?

Sep 11, 2010 5:38 AM
Please don't mix in "normal" horror movies like Hostel etc in the discussion. It's already too complicated for many people to follow.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Sep 11, 2010 7:31 AM
Plot - Zombie apocalypse breaks out challenging teenagers both physically and mentally

Sep 11, 2010 3:58 PM
The reason it's going down is because at the beginning it had a good story line, and had potential, so everyone voted it high. Then they stopped caring about the story, so everyone voted it down. Simple...

Also I find it ironic that most people don't like "fan service", isn't a service to the fans supposed to be a good thing ^^, ohhwells, obviously not xD

Sep 11, 2010 4:56 PM

StainedDesire said:
The reason it's going down is because at the beginning it had a good story line, and had potential, so everyone voted it high. Then they stopped caring about the story, so everyone voted it down. Simple...

Also I find it ironic that most people don't like "fan service", isn't a service to the fans supposed to be a good thing ^^, ohhwells, obviously not xD

Well, the target audience of the show is horny teenage boys around the age of 14, so to them i guess its a good thing.

Sep 12, 2010 8:28 PM

Troy_C said:
Plot - Zombie apocalypse breaks out challenging teenagers both physically and mentally

WOW. Shit. That is actually one of the best descriptions of HotD I've seen.

Sep 15, 2010 4:03 AM

mhm i think its rank has been getting worse because the ridiculous fanservice , well i don't really mind it too much since the show is somewhat enjoyable but i seriously have to hate some parts Dx examples of this are when they show a lot of pantie shots .__.,random boobgrabs and what not >.< but , i still watch it because as stated above its entertaining but i really think it could be better,actually i didn't had many high expectations for it since well there is not much you can do with zombies,so i never really expected some kind of plot but anyway people have different tastes so if you really like it don't let what everyone else thinks affect the passion or liking you have to it.

just my point of view.

Sep 15, 2010 10:39 AM

when i saw the first 2 episodes i was like"wtf omg best anime eveRrR all hail madhouse" and i got it in my top 5 fav list..
now it got clear that they were just trying to give us what they thought that would sell like a lot of boobies and pantie-shots and not any plot twist/development at all
what is more as we reach the finale they forgot the zombies and they only aired filler episodes with stupid boob grabbing and characters without any char-development who look retard and generally out of story..i dont know what is going to happen i am so sad hotd is like this i hope last episode i like the first ones and they just make it as good as the manga
I am the bone of my sword.Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.

Sep 15, 2010 8:20 PM

picastro said:
I like a lot of people who never read the manga probably expected much ore from this series than it was ever really intended to deliver. It's enjoyable, to be sure, but it has a complete lack of artistic merit. If you enjoy it as an ecchi/zombie show, that's fine. But realize that by confining itself into that genre it loses any chance to be anything high calibre.

Best post in the thread. By sacrificing things like plot and character development for mindless violence and fanservice, it could never be up there with the greats. It could never have the epicness of code geass, plot twists of death note or make u cry like toradora or clannad. Doesn't mind fuck you like evangelion. From what I've seen it will never even touch any of those and most ppl in MAL agree and rate accordingly. It's all relative, fanboys need to learn

Sep 15, 2010 8:42 PM

This anime had so much potential but they ruined it... It could have been a really good anime. Kind of sad really.

Sep 15, 2010 9:13 PM

bensherman said:
picastro said:
I like a lot of people who never read the manga probably expected much ore from this series than it was ever really intended to deliver. It's enjoyable, to be sure, but it has a complete lack of artistic merit. If you enjoy it as an ecchi/zombie show, that's fine. But realize that by confining itself into that genre it loses any chance to be anything high calibre.

Best post in the thread. By sacrificing things like plot and character development for mindless violence and fanservice, it could never be up there with the greats. It could never have the epicness of code geass, plot twists of death note or make u cry like toradora or clannad. Doesn't mind fuck you like evangelion. From what I've seen it will never even touch any of those and most ppl in MAL agree and rate accordingly. It's all relative, fanboys need to learn

I don't believe this is the only point. Fanboys usually like to shield their favorite anime (or any other form of media) from criticism by stating that "Its supposed to be mindless entertainment!" and whatnot. There is correct way to do mindless fun and there is a idiotic way of doing it. High School of the Dead is the latter unfortunately. It fails to deliver compelling characters or situations, which makes the drama attempts fall right on its ass and feel entirely forced/cheesy. I really can't find myself caring for any of the characters. For example, (IMO) To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, Gurren Lagann, Ga Rei Zero, and hell, even Strike Witches did the 'mindless fun' thing correctly. All of those anime had characters that actually developed, grew, and learned from their hardships, which makes the viewing experience as a whole much more enjoyable and rewarding, despite their relatively thin premises, plot lines, and characters, fanservice, etc. High School of the Dead may have flashy animation, but its not enough to justify the poor characters, who are the main driving point of the anime, as it is character driven.

Sep 16, 2010 6:44 AM

8.2 is still way too overrated for a mediocore anime...

Sep 16, 2010 7:47 AM
Itachi-san said:
8.2 is still way too overrated for a mediocore anime...

Well, MAL is overrated.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Sep 16, 2010 8:34 AM

Honestly if the pace wasn't so slow and the zombies were actually at all threatening I might enjoy it a bit more. It's just completely devoid of any excitement cause there's no tension between the characters or from the zombies. And just when you think it should be an ott blood and tits action show, it suddenly decides to go all serious and add some cheap drama that never really has any impact on the plot anyway.

I advise anyone who wants to see some good recent zombie action to check out the TV show Dead Set, cause that delivers on the gore, nudity and laughs much better than this. Or even the upcoming TV version of The Walking Dead comic which looks very promising.
Modified by deadleeserious, Sep 16, 2010 8:37 AM

Sep 16, 2010 10:35 AM
First 3 episodes were awesome...
and now that awesomeness died

Simple as that

Sep 16, 2010 10:37 AM

Too much ecchi, not enough action. Bullet dodging boobs? errr no, didnt like that. first ep was great and alot of potential but it kind of got wasted

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]