Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2010 11:26 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aww... Such a nice movie.. Very, very cute ;) Gabu and Mei both are.
Sep 18, 2010 10:05 AM

Apr 2010
It was shockingly good, the story was extremely well done and the characters were extremely well developed. Even though some of the script was rather simplistic the story was strong and progressed naturally. I also love the ending, it wasn't some BS "we can all live together!" but rather it didn't downplay the natural ways of life.

Probably the best all-ages anime film ever.

Phenomenal
9/10
Sep 23, 2010 5:00 PM

Oct 2009
I love it. It was an adorable story. It reminded me of the Fox and the Hound kind of.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Apr 15, 2012 3:53 AM

Apr 2012
A pretty touching story of a beautiful friendship (or maybe love...?) I have never seen such a fascinating anime like Arashi no Yoru ni, this movie is my true love ♥ I can only recommend it to anybody who didn't see this awesomeness!
Mar 7, 2013 9:56 AM

Mar 2009
Indeed a very good and adorable movie, the landscapes are animated beautifully. Both Mei and Gabu are lovable, the movie tells a important message. Is something different to watch these days, a very straightforward movie.
May 29, 2013 7:10 PM

Aug 2007
A cute, predictable, feel-good movie.
The animation and Gabu x Mei are especially cute, but there isn't much substance.
I did fall in love with Gabu, though :3

6/10 for a rating of 'fine.'

Jun 26, 2013 7:05 AM

Sep 2008
Good movie but I was hoping for more. Would've liked to see the wolf with the scar get killed or something.

Also, the whole friendship between Gabu and Mei felt kinda forced. They didn't really have many conversation topics with any kind of substance to them. It was hard to see how they became so attached to each other.
Dec 17, 2013 11:41 PM

Sep 2007
Greatest movie ever 10/10 would never watch again. Cried too many times to want to go through all those emotions a second time.
May 4, 2014 9:11 PM

Jul 2011
5layer said:
Also, the whole friendship between Gabu and Mei felt kinda forced. They didn't really have many conversation topics with any kind of substance to them. It was hard to see how they became so attached to each other.

Naw, they're like friends who just enjoy each other's company. The conversation is just there, but not necessary.
Edit: It's a bit hard to comprehend if you don't experience it yourself. You can sit with them a room for hours on end, doing absolutely nothing, without making it awkward or forced. You just feel reassured and pleasant with their presence there.

That was cute! Though tbh if they ended it at the avalanche and Mei finding the green forest and living there on his own, that would have made me cry like a baby. Or if both of them died on that mountain.
The 5 minute amnesia route they took was last minute and didn't get me feeling it. But I'm satisfied regardless.

Shipping of the two was pretty intense. I think it's mostly because of Mei though.
MirorinFeb 17, 2015 10:43 PM
Nov 6, 2014 7:27 AM

Mar 2013
the movie started too brutal when you consider the childish way the rest was handled. The movie also didnt really accomplish what it was trying to do.. to show a very strong friendship between 2 people despite their specie. I mean, i didnt buy their strong friendship at all. Sure they chat a lot (but mostly akward stuff) and the wolve saved the goat a few times (but he never risked his life for it, exept at the end).. so i dont see why the goat chooses to leave his friends and family who he has known for his life to wander of with a merely known wolve. Both should have been complete lonely and their friendship should have been a unique experience for them.. THEN i would have believed them. But like this: the goat got a lot of other friends and the wolve seem to not really care that the other wolves are moking him. The movie overall should have focused way more around the friendship with the time it got and cut the whole ending on the mountain.. it should have ended after they jumped into the river to escape from their old lifes.

The artstyle was quite interesting and unique and the soundtrack was fitting. A little bit too cheesy for me at the end ( and the whole amnesia idea was unecessary). A ending where both die on the mountain would have been a much better impact, with a much deeper meaning. (well maybe they DID die and all at the end was just the goats hallucination.
Aug 9, 2015 8:32 PM

Mar 2010
this was very cute.
Dec 16, 2015 12:00 AM

Nov 2011
i'll tell you what this was
this was very fucking gay is what it was

the script was absolute shit
they keep saying the same goddamn things over and over again, and their tones NEVER FUCKING CHANGE

seriously, if Mei had been a girl and there were TINY HINTS OF ROMANCE between the wolf and the goat, that would make this movie WAY more normal you know

you don't turn your back on your village and just run away with some stranger you met one night and had an exchange of words about the most basic things

it had its moments though like the river scene and ESPECIALLY the ice cave scene

but still doesn't change how gay this was
not unless that's what the intention was all along and this was just gay propaganda
Mar 29, 2016 2:47 PM
Jul 2015
I love this kind of movies focusing on friendship, it was like watching a Disney movie, very cute.
Jan 25, 2017 2:21 PM

Nov 2012
So beautiful. Had to keep messing with my feels until the very end.
Jan 29, 2017 5:34 PM

Jun 2013
This is gay/shounen-ai movie targeted for kids market
The relationship is too much STRONG for just "friend"
Especially when Mei get jealous when gabu hunting mice for eat, not counting that ending...

Are you gay mei ??
SSSS_ShunariaJan 29, 2017 5:40 PM
Mar 4, 2018 1:33 PM

Oct 2015
I am really glad Gabu recovered his memories, but I thought he was pretending at first. Giro never got what's coming from him after killing Mei's mother like that, I really wanted to see them fight him but I guess the movie was focused on the friendship.

Overall that was an odd pair to form a friendship, but if it was romance my rating would've sky rocketed.

But I loved it any way, so its a 8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 26, 2018 8:37 PM

Mar 2009
The movie is just a cute little gay romance movie honestly. Heavy implications of romance and queer relationships and having to come out. Glad it had a happy ending.
Sep 26, 2018 11:30 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Super cute but simplistic in the best ways. I was wowed by the run time but the pacing was so swift and never left me bored. And of course the queer coding for the relationship and all the thematics behind it were really well executed. Glad they had their happy ending.

lihle808 said:
I am really glad Gabu recovered his memories, but I thought he was pretending at first. Giro never got what's coming from him after killing Mei's mother like that, I really wanted to see them fight him but I guess the movie was focused on the friendship.

Overall that was an odd pair to form a friendship, but if it was romance my rating would've sky rocketed.

I mean it basically is a romance. They even say "I love you" at the end with the "moon is beautiful".

Oct 27, 2018 12:14 PM

May 2018
I kind of ship them, help x>
Mar 2, 2019 3:20 PM

Oct 2011
cute movie. it's from a kid's book.. right? the animation was adorable~

Mar 24, 2019 1:36 AM

Dec 2013
Stripes said:
Super cute but simplistic in the best ways. I was wowed by the run time but the pacing was so swift and never left me bored. And of course the queer coding for the relationship and all the thematics behind it were really well executed. Glad they had their happy ending.

lihle808 said:

I mean it basically is a romance. They even say "I love you" at the end with the "moon is beautiful".

If you liked this movie then I can't reccomend the animated TV series enough! I know it's 24 episodes long but I felt that there was generally more suspence and more adventures between Gabu and Mei along the way. We learn a bit more about Gabu and Mei's life as well as additional characters that help build up their world. I wouldn't let the "kiddie" animation (a complaint against the series for some reason) throw you off as it's a great watch. I also didn't feel as if the episodes were boring at any point.

Thanks for point out the romance part also! I watched this over one year ago and definitely missed at least a few details that they probably wanted to convey. I came back to this thread out of boredom and I'm surprised that I got to learn something out of it too. I thought that the ending sequence was only supposed to be a feel-good moment but apparently we could also interpret it in another way. I already believed there were queer themes in the series and this makes the case stronger.
Mar 24, 2019 11:28 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
kamisaka said:
Stripes said:

If you liked this movie then I can't reccomend the animated TV series enough! I know it's 24 episodes long but I felt that there was generally more suspence and more adventures between Gabu and Mei along the way. We learn a bit more about Gabu and Mei's life as well as additional characters that help build up their world. I wouldn't let the "kiddie" animation (a complaint against the series for some reason) throw you off as it's a great watch. I also didn't feel as if the episodes were boring at any point.

Thanks for point out the romance part also! I watched this over one year ago and definitely missed at least a few details that they probably wanted to convey. I came back to this thread out of boredom and I'm surprised that I got to learn something out of it too. I thought that the ending sequence was only supposed to be a feel-good moment but apparently we could also interpret it in another way. I already believed there were queer themes in the series and this makes the case stronger.

I wouldn't deny trying the tv show (just cause it's made for kids has never turned me away in the slightest) but I do think that the cgi and turning Mei feminine was kinda a safe and easy route. The movie looking more like a storybook (like the one it was based off of) really enhances the narrative. I watched some scenes not too long ago and though I know movie = bigger budget, I can't help but gasp at the small nuances of the animation; even the grass is so enticing in it's movements. But I'll try the tv show again since I can't take covers too harshly nor the first episodes.

I actually got recommended this movie from GoatJesus and his Examining the BL Genre and I actually found out that the same character designer and some staff is working on a Spiritual Sequel to Arashi no Yoru Ni called My Tyrano: Together Forever.
Jun 16, 2019 2:18 PM

Sep 2017
Watched this for my 2019 AWC.

Good movie. I found myself bored at parts of it, but that is mostly due to the fact that I don't enjoy "kids" films very much. I'm too lazy to clean this up and make it a review so I will just plop my thoughts down here.

The story of Gabu and Mei was better than I expected it to be. Typically, these types of movies follow a very predictable plot. Two entities form an unlikely bond over something either trivial or exceptional, usually one or the other. This bond grows through the first act and into the second act, where something occurs that challenges the relationship between the two. With their relationship strained, the two entities get into some form of conflict. This conflict is then resolved in the third act. And while this film did follow a structure that resembles what I have just described, it managed to avoid what I was dreading the most: the conflict. The conflict in this film, while predictable, didn't involve an outright argument between Gabu and Mei, which was what I was hoping wouldn't happen. In that respect, I enjoyed the overarching story, as predictable as it was. It surprised me here and there, but what we got was acceptable.

Let's get into the most subjective, yet objective, part about any piece of animation: the sound and art direction. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed art direction. The art style is quite unique and differs from what was more common in the mid-2000s. In that respect, I commend the director and production staff. The sound design was less exceptional, but still quite good. There weren't any noteworthy tracks, and the voice acting was fine at best, but the sound design was good enough such that I never explicitly thought to myself "Wow, that sucked."

The characters were fine, and doubtless the worst aspect of the film. Not to say they were atrocious, like in some other films I have seen, but they weren't exceptional. Gabu and Mei are the obvious standouts, but even their characters aren't anything to write home about. They aren't simple enough to describe in a few words nor complex enough to write a paragraph about. The rest of the cast was pretty lackluster though. They didn't need to be amazing, as the focus was clearly on Gabu and Mei, but they could have definitely been better as a supporting cast.

Did I enjoy this film? Yes. I was bored here and there, but that tends to happen with any movie I watch. I find it difficult to sit in one spot and watch something for that long. At the end of the day, this movie was just "good." I could see myself recommending it to others, depending on where their tastes lie. I'd give this movie a very low 7/10.

GytanzoJun 29, 2019 8:07 PM
Feb 12, 2022 6:30 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
One of the most relaxing and wholesome watch <3

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Mar 21, 2022 10:56 AM

Feb 2020
This was a pretty nice and touching movie about friendship.
Jun 19, 2022 10:31 AM

Feb 2021
I thought that it was gonna be a sad ending, but it was a happy ending! Glad to watch this :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.