Forum Settings
Forums

Bankruptcy of Anime Studio Group TAC Revealed

New
Sep 2, 2010 7:37 PM

Feb 2008
According to Teikoku Data Bank, Group TAC has bankrupted. The amount of debt is 585 million yen ($6.94 million).

Group TAC was established in 1968 and had produced Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi and Touch. The annual income has dropped from 1.5 billion yen (2007) to 0.6 billion yen (2009) due to the withdrawal of sponsors. The president Tashiro Atsumi passed away last July and the continuation of the business had run into difficulties.

#=================
According to the official blog of Eisanro (Labor Union of Movie, Television, Animation and Culture Industry), a production studio of "a popular anime for kids and family being aired on NHK Educational Channel" has gone bankrupt on August 31st. The total amount of debt is estimated to be several hundred million yen. Employees of the studio is demanding swift responses and measures from NHK, which is Japanese national broadcasting organization.

Eisanro reported that employees of anime studios have been complaining about exceptionally small budgets of NHK anime.

Source: Eisanro official blog, Teikoku Data Bank
dtshykSep 2, 2010 10:32 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2010 7:40 PM

Feb 2008
It's TAC not SynergySP.
ref. Kids & Family anime being aired on NHK Educational Channel
Major S6 produced by SynergySP
Ojarumaru produced by Studio Gallop
Nintama Rantarou produced by NHK Enterprise
Cooking Idol Ai! Mai! Main! produced by NHK Educational
(the subsidiary studios of NHK are unlikely candidates)
dtshykSep 2, 2010 10:20 PM
Sep 2, 2010 7:45 PM

Feb 2010
Hmm, I thought Major was pretty popular...but considering the state of the economy, I guess this isn't all that suprising.
Sep 2, 2010 7:47 PM

Jan 2009
inevitable i say because there is too much anime studio and competition gets tough to get the most viewers
Sep 2, 2010 7:48 PM
Jan 2008
i blame the greedy bourgeoisie for this....
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Sep 2, 2010 7:48 PM

Feb 2008
japan is going through a lot of hell due to its rising currency. since export is becoming very expensive their economy is taking a major beating. i hope it doesn't hit other producers.
Sep 2, 2010 8:15 PM

Nov 2008
This is sounding like the beginning of the 1983 video game crash except that instead of oversaturation and poor quality, it's just pure oversaturation of anime studios, the rising yen value doesn't help.

Sep 2, 2010 8:18 PM

May 2010
Nintama Rantarou too?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 2, 2010 8:20 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
But I wonder which studio actually bankrupted. It would be surprising if SynergySP did....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 2, 2010 8:29 PM

Jul 2009
My economics knowledge must be poor... Isn't a strong yen amount a good thing for the economy? Doesn't a rising value = more profits and prosperity? Why would it be easier for an anime studio to bankrupt in such an economy?
Sep 2, 2010 8:40 PM

Sep 2009
PrincessAruri said:
My economics knowledge must be poor... Isn't a strong yen amount a good thing for the economy? Doesn't a rising value = more profits and prosperity? Why would it be easier for an anime studio to bankrupt in such an economy?

Traditionally, a strong domestic currency is fantastic, but for a country that relies VERY heavily on exports, it hurts their business overseas as it decrease foreign demand for Japanese goods.
Sep 2, 2010 8:53 PM

Sep 2008
This better not be the studio making Major....
Sep 2, 2010 8:56 PM

Apr 2010
Several hundred million yen? That's a bit of a hole they've dug themselves. Did a sponsor bounce a check?

Sep 2, 2010 9:00 PM

Aug 2009
Does this mean cheaper anime for the rest of us ? . . . . . . . no aw dammit.
Sep 2, 2010 9:02 PM

Sep 2008
Noooooooo it better not the Synergy.
I need my Major S7.

Edit after the update: Oh well, the only thing I watched from them was Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, albeit good. I'm happy Major didn't get killed.
HawthorneKittySep 2, 2010 10:26 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2010 10:29 PM

Mar 2009
That's bad for them..
Sep 2, 2010 10:48 PM

Feb 2008
I blame their involvement with the Happy Science-animes.
[fancy signature here]
Sep 2, 2010 10:50 PM

Jun 2009
ios said:
inevitable i say because there is too much anime studio and competition gets tough to get the most viewers
Sep 2, 2010 11:18 PM

Dec 2009
Man, I don't like all these bad news :'(
Sep 2, 2010 11:58 PM

Jul 2009
ios said:

The number of studios is irrelevant.
Sep 3, 2010 1:32 AM

Mar 2009
damn, more bad news for anime fans
Sep 3, 2010 2:33 AM

Feb 2008
*scrolls through list of works*
Oh well... shit happens, right?
Sep 3, 2010 5:07 AM

Nov 2008
renjikuchiki1 said:
i blame the greedy bourgeoisie for this....

u can bet ur ass on it
Sep 3, 2010 8:36 AM

Feb 2008
outlawauron said:
PrincessAruri said:

Traditionally, a strong domestic currency is fantastic, but for a country that relies VERY heavily on exports, it hurts their business overseas as it decrease foreign demand for Japanese goods.

hehe yep. it kinda sucks because any other country would kill for a strong currency. last time i heard they were talking about inflating the currency to keep it under control. this may or may not have anything to do with various anime companies going bankrupt since it probably has to do with domestic issues.
Sep 3, 2010 9:48 AM

Sep 2009
They had some pretty good titles. It's a shame they went bankrupt :-/
Sep 3, 2010 1:20 PM

Jan 2010
let's hope this wouldn't happen again, because with the huge lost from big studio like production ig, it would sux to loss them
Sep 3, 2010 2:10 PM

Mar 2009
as long as we ,, the otakus,fujishoujos,akibas are in the world to surrport and buy the art and story of the people how make this world of anime and manga is left. the world will continue spining around
i am going to be the i the one with the biggest manga pocket collgection

url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/enerjak&sclick=1][/url]
Sep 3, 2010 3:34 PM

Jan 2010
never heard of them, but that doesn't make me happy either. what projects have they done?
edited. oh i see. i only saw one of their projects, hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora which i really enjoyed. such a shame to see the company go.
AlgazeroSep 3, 2010 5:54 PM
Sep 3, 2010 5:10 PM

Sep 2008
They mainly have done older shows so can't say I am surprised it was them. Sad though, I loved Touch :( even if it is over 20 years old now...
Sep 3, 2010 5:50 PM

Mar 2009
baaaawh, no more hanakappa? ;A:
Sep 3, 2010 9:20 PM
Oct 2009
Welcome to the Bankruptcy!

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Sep 3, 2010 11:10 PM

Oct 2007
ouch, studio that made touch? :(
Sep 3, 2010 11:14 PM

Jul 2009
Group TAC was only good for Touch. Still, I feel sorry for them :(
Sep 4, 2010 9:45 AM

Oct 2009
never heard of these guys, too bad for them i guess
Sep 5, 2010 12:32 AM

Jul 2009
Lupin III (Part I)
Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers)
Nine,Touch,Hiatari Ryōkō
Nadia
Captain Tsubasa Road to 2002
Street Fighter II
Those Who Hunt Elves
Master Keaton
Fighting Spirit
Zoids Genesis
siokanSep 5, 2010 12:36 AM
Sep 5, 2010 3:12 PM
Jul 2010
its because you guys are watching anime illegally. The Author of cowboy bepop says the anime industry doesn't have even 5 years left before it dies.

If the manga industry dies the anime industry Asian drama industry

Because most dramas and anime are based off manga

So You guys need to start buying anime or watching it on a legal site so the ads go to the companys.

Those ads you watch make the money go to the company.

If you watch anime illegally you are a raging homosexuel
Sep 5, 2010 7:12 PM
Dec 2007
VongolaXEspada said:
its because you guys are watching anime illegally. The Author of cowboy bepop says the anime industry doesn't have even 5 years left before it dies.

If the manga industry dies the anime industry Asian drama industry

Because most dramas and anime are based off manga

So You guys need to start buying anime or watching it on a legal site so the ads go to the companys.

Those ads you watch make the money go to the company.

If you watch anime illegally you are a raging homosexuel
Yeah, we totally influence Japanese sales.... dumbass. If you want to know, the ones we actually directly affect, the international publishers like Funimation, have adapted lately, as seen by the advent of free legal online streaming similar to what Netflix did in the movie industry. If anything the ball is on Japan's court to properly adapt to a reality that won't go away.
Leon-GunSep 5, 2010 7:15 PM

Sep 6, 2010 5:47 AM

Sep 2008
...And nothing of value was lost.

From my viewpoint at least I don't think I watch anything from them and I don't plan on doing so, uninteresting stuff
Sep 7, 2010 11:35 AM

Apr 2008
Mephz said:
...And nothing of value was lost.

From my viewpoint at least I don't think I watch anything from them and I don't plan on doing so, uninteresting stuff

How would you know if it was interesting or not if you haven't watched it?

Don't judge a book by it's cover because there are plenty of hidden gems out there in the anime world =)

Edit:

Oops, my bad! I forgot to check your list before I posted. Heaven forbid someone make a better series than half the crap on your list.
byoushinSep 7, 2010 11:41 AM
Sep 7, 2010 1:20 PM

Sep 2008
lol, says a guy that has not even seen half of my list. You should taste your own medicine before you spread that shit. You yourself are doing exactly what you told me not to do, judge the book by the cover.

In my opinion: if the plot does not interest you, don't watch it. TAC did not do anything that is interesting in my book.

Go back to watching your digimon Mr. hardcore
Sep 7, 2010 3:14 PM

Jul 2009
Mephz said:
TAC did not do anything that is interesting in my book.

Hajime no Ippo
Baki the Grappler
Street Fighter II
Sep 7, 2010 3:31 PM

Sep 2008
don't care about the others but Hajime no ippo

Producers: Madhouse Studios, VAP

How are they the creators of Hajime no ippo anime?
-----
At any rate even if you can grab one title from the horde that I might like what is that going to change? I'd rather get them off the market so all the otaku business goes to groups that make anime I like, keeping them alive. It's a dog eat dog world, if they fail someone else is bound to make profit.
MephzSep 7, 2010 3:36 PM
Sep 7, 2010 7:10 PM
Dec 2007
Mephz said:

-----
At any rate even if you can grab one title from the horde that I might like what is that going to change? I'd rather get them off the market so all the otaku business goes to groups that make anime I like, keeping them alive. It's a dog eat dog world, if they fail someone else is bound to make profit.
Talk about a me-me-me mentality. Forgive us for even liking things you don't your highness.

Sep 7, 2010 11:33 PM

Jul 2009
Mephz said:

-----

Star Wars :20th Century Fox, George Lucas

The profit doesn't go up.
The studio in which it actually works is a super-low wage.
Thing similar when one slave dies.
The slave is doing most work......
Sep 8, 2010 2:22 AM

Sep 2008
speak english next, your point is?

Also you did not answer: How TAC is involved in Hajime no ippo and Grabbler baki? Made up on the spot?

Leon-Gun: Me-mentality is the way to go, if your not living for yourself then you are doing it wrong.
Sep 8, 2010 9:35 AM

Jul 2009
Mephz said:
Also you did not answer: How TAC is involved in Hajime no ippo and Grabbler baki? Made up on the spot?

Hajime no ippo
Project:Nippon Television (Husband)
Copyright management: VAP (Husband)
animation Main contractor: Madhouse (Slave's leader)
Subcontract(Real work):TAC (Slave)

Grabbler baki
Project:Dynamite Tommy (Husband)
Making:Free-Will (Husband)
animation(Real work):TAC (Slave)
Sep 8, 2010 10:29 AM

Sep 2008
yes, posting something without even linking to the source is very useful.

http://ippo.wikia.com/wiki/Hajime_no_Ippo_%28anime%29

From what I see, no personnel connected with Hajime no ippo are from TAC. If I use google I simply can't connect TAC with Hajime no ippo, they wanted to make season 2 but did not get it, nothing more than that.

--
If they won't even get their name on the title then their work is not worth mentioning (if they even had any part in the project which is unknown to me)
Sep 8, 2010 1:16 PM
Dec 2007
Mephz said:
yes, posting something without even linking to the source is very useful.

http://ippo.wikia.com/wiki/Hajime_no_Ippo_%28anime%29

From what I see, no personnel connected with Hajime no ippo are from TAC. If I use google I simply can't connect TAC with Hajime no ippo, they wanted to make season 2 but did not get it, nothing more than that.

--
If they won't even get their name on the title then their work is not worth mentioning (if they even had any part in the project which is unknown to me)
It's not entirely unusual for subcontracted animation studios not to get credited. Btw, the narcissistic mentality is nothing short of disgusting and part of the reason society is messed up.

Sep 8, 2010 4:35 PM

Apr 2007
Just wanted to say that I'm with Mephz on this one. This studio no longer did anything worthwhile for today's gen of animation, and it is their own fault. They let themselves fall into obscurity, with no good titles under their name other than Touch, which is over 20 years old. There's only so much time you can simply drift around till you get screwed over, which the death of their president settled.

Now with them gone, the larger company's will be hiring others to sub-contract their works too, perhaps to those that will be able to reach out of their sub-contract status and become a major studio themselves. Group TAC should have disbanded a long time ago with the way things were going for them, but they didn't which led to their demise.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

22 by ZXEAN »»
4 hours ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by seweholmes »»
6 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
8 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.