Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 25, 2010 12:31 PM

Aug 2009
Yesterday, anime lost one of its most amazing directors. Today, we should celebrate his contributions. If you haven't watched any of his movies, I highly recommend it.

Perfect Blue (1998)
What it is:
A psychological, suspenseful thriller about obsession, fame, perception of reality, and identity.

Why you should watch it:
Kon's first foray into directing a full length movie. It lays the groundwork for what would be Kon's dark, edgy style, and is just a fantastic movie all around.

Millennium Actress (2001)
What it is:
An elderly actress recalls her life in the limelight.

Why you should watch it:
I haven't watched it, personally (which I will rectify shortly), but from what I understand, its heart-rending, and beautifully told. A very unique movie, by any definition.

Tokyo Godfathers (2003)
What it is:
Three bums in Tokyo care for a baby they find on Christmas Eve.

Why you should watch it:
A heartwarming Christmas tale. Probably Kon's biggest departure from his style.

Paranoia Agent (2004)
What it is:
A grand cast of characters have their lives changed after a begins assaulting people with a baseball bat.

Why you should watch it:
Paranoia Agent is made with the scraps of ideas that Kon liked, but wasn't able to expand into a movie. That said, Paranoia Agent has many strings, but they all trace back to a few core events and ideas. The animation is strong, and the characters are fun and unique.

Paprika (2006)
What it is:
After a device that allows the user to enter the dreams of another is stolen, a detective and a dream therapist (and her alter ego) try to track down the stolen device, and find much more than they expected.

Why you should watch it:
The art is amazing, the music is beautiful, and the entire movie is like watching a living dream.

Kon was an amazing director and creator. If you haven't watched any of these, I highly recommend it. You'll never see anything else quite like them.
Aug 25, 2010 12:35 PM
Apr 2009
lol This is a great guide to Satoshi Kon's works. I haven't seen any of them, but I've been meaning to watch Paprika and Perfect Blue for ages... I think it's about time I watch them!
Aug 25, 2010 12:45 PM

Apr 2009
And with that, don't forget the last movieof his, which he was working on until he died:

The Dream Machine, coming out next year.
Aug 25, 2010 12:53 PM

Aug 2009
I've already watched Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress, and concur with the beauty of Millennium Actress, with its heart-grabbing tale behind. I've planned to watch the rest of Satoshi Kon's works, but they never got out of my ptw list until now. Guess it's about time for Paprika, since it's recommended a lot to me by some of my friends as well.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Aug 25, 2010 7:11 PM

May 2010
Hmm alright.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 25, 2010 7:31 PM

Feb 2010
I believe the only one I haven't watched is Millenium Actress, so I'll definitely be watching it this weekend.
Aug 25, 2010 8:17 PM
Aug 25, 2010 8:24 PM

Jun 2008
Everytime I hear Paprika, I keep thinking of Inception. I'll watch both some day.
Sep 18, 2010 6:16 AM

Apr 2008
omg! these look amazing, hjave to download them :D
Sep 18, 2010 10:07 AM

Jun 2010
Yaay another fan of Satoshi Kon. I've allready watched Perfect Blue, Paprika and Millenium Actress. And i really wanna watch Paranoid Agent.
I think Perfect blue is my fave from the Satoshi kon movies i watched <3
Sep 18, 2010 10:18 PM

Feb 2010
paranoia agent was trippy

I like the suicide group part
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2010 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
hey you forgot Memories
hell i dont even like Kon and i know that memories was his first derecting job even if it was a calaberation
Sep 19, 2010 4:26 PM

Apr 2009
He was also involved in the making of the Magnetic Rose, imo the best part of the Memories anthology, by a large margin... as well as in the making of Roujin Z, probably the oldest one of the bunch, a very interesting OVA about the neglet the elderly go through... with mecha.

More topics from this board

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
3 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
4 hours ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.