Forum Settings
Forums

If you had to write your own summary or synopsis of this series...

New
Aug 24, 2010 10:44 PM
Jul 2008
If you had to write your own summary or synopsis of this series what would it be?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 23, 2012 7:26 PM

Oct 2012
Okay. This is more an explanation of Haruhi than of the series, but I decided that since the board is empty I might as well post. In fact, I posted this on a discussion board of a Haruhi hate club here. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=42448&pages=1&show=0#msg17936311

Here is the actual post.

Okay.

If you can't tell from my profile, I am, what you might call, a "Haruhiist."

Therefore, it is my duty not to flame on people who hate Suzumiya-san, but rather to explain Haruhi and to listen to why people might hate Haruhi, and to attempt to peaceably convert them peaceably, unlike those idiots who came to the Americas to convert the Native Americans and pretty much dumped Christianity (my true religion, BTW) on them. After I am finished with my little speech/writing thingy, you can flame on me all you want. I have my fire-proof clothes and Pyro Goggles on.

Here I go.

Haruhi Suzumiya is, simply put, a girl who is in denial about reality. And I think that you went into the anime with an expectation far from what was actually the purpose of TMOHS. I may be wrong, of course, but I believe that if a person were to go into TMOHS and expect a serious, deep plot with a bit more suspense (okay, a lot more suspense) then you would be disappointed.

Of course, I realize that what you really hate is Haruhi herself. Some say she is annoying, others say she's bitchy, and still others insinuate her lack of sexual appeal (to them; I can't speak for the lolicons and people who like girls who like her that love Suzumiya-san. I can just say one thing, and Haruhi pretty much said it herself: She has no time for hating or loving anyone who is repulsed by or drawn to her physique.).

The beauty of Haruhi is the way she is less a person and more a force of nature. The way she acts is a direct result of shock that she never recovered from: realizing that she really doesn't matter. At all. The origin of her powers goes unexplained, but we can delve into her psyche pretty easily. The melancholy part of her is a result of a side to her that we are familiar with being denied by the world. She has become depressed by the empty and mundane world, and she is shown at the beginning to be withdrawn because of this. When she meets Kyon, Haruhi becomes revitalized, ready to face life again. This is the friendship, the love, the true beauty in Haruhi. You claim that she has no care or love for her friends, yet she obviously wishes them to be safe, exemplified in the Lone Island Syndrome episodes, and also in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Her friends stay with her because they are her friends; it is a particular kind of friendship, the kind that starts as a necessity and grows into a personal, intimate bond. Koizumi stays because he must be able to keep tabs on the source of the Closed Space, and also maybe because he loves her (insinuated throughout the anime and novels, and confirmed in TDOHS). Yuki stays to learn more about her potential for auto-evolution, and also to generally help Kyon survive. (She may also hold the synthetic(?) equivalent for love for Kyon.) Mikuru stays to understand why she cannot travel back to before Tanabata three years before she and Kyon travel back so Kyon can help Haruhi draw on the field. She also stays because she and Haruhi have a special bond, the bond between the dominant friend and recessive friend. This kind of bond is also seen with Chie and Yukiko from P4, the young versions of Ino and Sakura from Naruto, and perhaps Edward and Alfonse from FMA. Finally, Kyon stays because he is essentially dragged about by Haruhi; however, he allows her to drag her about, even enjoys it, despite his sarcasm and complaining. Simply put, he loves her, but is in denial of it.

Haruhi is more than just the hyperactive, overbearing, flat-chested, obnoxious girl you seem to see her as. She is a person, a human. She simply has powers she is unaware of, powers that can be a problem if she becomes angry or melancholy, like before she meets Kyon. Koizumi specifically says that her friendship with them, especially Kyon, has made her much more stable than she was before. Kyon even says that she has changed over their relationship, albeit slowly. But she still changes, becoming more considerate.

I cannot reiterate enough how much she actually cares for her friends. To expand on an earlier point, she cares enough to try to keep everyone in the dark about what she thinks transpired on the island, how she thinks their host "died'. She deliberately keeps quiet because she doesn't want Kyon and Koizumi to feel guilty, or for them to get in trouble. And she becomes extremely worried about Kyon when he falls in TDOHS. You can debate all you want about whether he actually falls or not, but that doesn't matter. She still cares, and she is still the only one who stays with him for the three days he was in a coma.

If this is not enough, please, by all means, tell me more about how and why you feel the way you do. I am listening.

Peace out. May the blessing and forgiveness of Haruhi Suzumiya be with you always.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Could Haruhi Suzumiya be autistic?

Artdoroki - Nov 7, 2023

1 by Cablecords »»
Dec 18, 2023 1:16 AM

» Who is hotter Haruhi or Mikuru? ( 1 2 )

Takeru15 - Jan 13, 2009

95 by artemis-cr »»
Oct 23, 2023 11:42 AM

Poll: » Favourite character

Gurenn - May 4, 2011

3 by DreamingGhost »»
May 29, 2023 8:48 AM

Poll: » What would you like to be? ( 1 2 )

Arestyr - Nov 28, 2007

58 by metropyramid »»
Oct 21, 2021 6:40 PM

Poll: » which haruhi suzumiya SOS Brigade's character are you?? ( 1 2 3 )

BlackWing - Jan 25, 2008

145 by Sosbrigade_123 »»
May 19, 2021 2:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.