YES
70.6%
NO
29.4%
109 votes
Aug 22, 2010 10:32 AM

May 2008
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/12/ground-zero-mosque-islamophobia

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-under-pressure-in-test-that-could-define-presidency-2058051.html

The center is going to be built two blocks away.
What do you guys think? Should the center be built? Should it not? By not building the center does this mean the terrorist have won as religious freedoms will have been opposed? Or is building the center an offense to all those who died in 9/11?

Personally I believe that while the centre should be allowed to be built there, the people building the center should build it somewhere else out of sensitivity.
Nabi123Aug 22, 2010 11:11 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 22, 2010 10:39 AM

Aug 2009
i love how some ignorant people believe that all muslims are pro-terrorism and support what happened on 9/11.

it'd be ridiculously childish not to build the mosque just because a handful of guys who happened to be islamic had terrorized the area nearby. that's like the japanese refusing to build churches in hiroshima, except the japs got a much worse deal than we did.
Aug 22, 2010 10:40 AM
Jul 2010
Nabi123 said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/12/ground-zero-mosque-islamophobia

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-under-pressure-in-test-that-could-define-presidency-2058051.html

The mosque is going to be built two blocks away.
What do you guys think? Should the mosque be built? Should it not? By not building the mosque does this mean the terrorist have won as religious freedoms will have been opposed? Or is building the mosque an offense to all those who died in 9/11?

Personally I believe that while the mosque should be allowed to be built there, the people building the mosque should build it somewhere else out of sensitivity.

Crap, terrorists, bla bla, I wish to know true story behind all this shit, I don't trust government at all, also I don't blame terrorists, from time to time I think the real terrorists are U.S. Government, about winning religious freedom? Ahh..Again boring talk about god who doesn't exist at all, just my 2 cents.
Aug 22, 2010 10:42 AM

Apr 2009
I don't care
Aug 22, 2010 10:43 AM

Apr 2010
The religion itself never hurt anyone. People are taking their anger out on the religion instead of the terrorist groups. That seems pretty dumb, to me.
Aug 22, 2010 10:45 AM

Aug 2010
I think it's an awful idea.
I have no problem with the mosque itself. But there are other places to build it. Why build that in such a place anyway? It doesn't make sense to me.
To me it's just like building a japanese thing in pearl harbor. It just doesb't belong.
No
Aug 22, 2010 11:05 AM

Mar 2008
First, I don't see any problem with this. Second, is this really a Mosque? I've been hearing its a Muslim youth center with a Mosque on like the top floor.

Sadly this is the most I've heard about 9/11 since that group of widows got blasted by Ann Coulter.
Aug 22, 2010 11:08 AM

May 2008
Mr-Freeman said:
First, I don't see any problem with this. Second, is this really a Mosque? I've been hearing its a Muslim youth center with a Mosque on like the top floor.

Sadly this is the most I've heard about 9/11 since that group of widows got blasted by Ann Coulter.

Yeah your right it is a community center, my bad.
Aug 22, 2010 11:21 AM

Mar 2008
Nabi123 said:
Yeah your right it is a community center, my bad.

Now when we put it that way is it really so bad? I haven't been to a YMCA in ages but I'd imagine this community center and a YMCA would be similar. Anyone know if there's a YMCA within 2 blocks?
Aug 22, 2010 11:33 AM
Oct 2008
There's already a Mosque near Ground Zero, should that be torn down because of 9/11? Plus it's 2 blocks away...

Personally, I don't care if they build it there. I don't believe that building a Mosque near the Ground Zero will be a 'smack in the face' to those who died in 9/11 or "all red-blooded Americans" as someone on facebook put it :/. I think that totally disregards the Muslims who also died in the attacks and those Muslims (police officers, EMTs, fireman, etc.) who died doing everything they could to help those during the attacks.

Terrorists and Extremists where the ones who caused the attack. Everyone else of Islamic Faith shouldn't be punished and have their religious freedom taken away because of extremists.
Aug 22, 2010 1:48 PM
Feb 2010
They have the right to build it. Just because their Muslim doesn't mean they're going to bomb us. There probably wouldn't even be this much complaining if a Neo-Nazi or any other group wanted to build something there. People just need to shut up and stop complaining.
Aug 22, 2010 2:34 PM
Feb 2010
The USA was founded on freedom of religion and speech, so there's no reason why not.

However, there's talk that it was funded Iran. If it's just BS, then no problem. But if it is, well, you know it is an embargoed country after all.
Aug 22, 2010 3:12 PM

Feb 2005
Well if it was my neighborhood, I'd rather have giant penis statues than anything remotely related to any religion, but then again, who really cares.
If there really are Americans there that are so butthurt and misguided they'd complain over it, they should just chillax and get a hobby.
Aug 22, 2010 3:21 PM

Feb 2010
The fact that this is even a big issue is pathetic. The religion did not cause 9/11. people did.
Aug 22, 2010 3:21 PM

Jul 2008
First of all, it's not a mosque, but a Muslim community centre.

So while it is a little bit religious, rather than being a place of worship it's a place where people who share a similar culture and background can get together and chillax.

Perhaps it's a bit naive of me to think this way, however, I will say it anyways. The people who will be enjoying this centre will be regular folks, like you and me, who are nice and perhaps to go the mosque and want to get together with other Muslims and have fun because it connects them to their heritage, gives them a place to be welcome and bond with others etc. I doubt many, if any at all, of these people are the kind of extremists who caused 9/11 to happen.

Personally, if I were them, I'd be afraid to build it there because of backlash from retarded people. I wouldn't want it to be torched and its attendants assaulted or something. Should they be allowed to build there? Absolutely. They have nothing to do with 9/11.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 22, 2010 4:16 PM

Sep 2008
To be fare we have been making ground zero's near Mosques Since May 2003. :/
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 22, 2010 4:24 PM

Mar 2010
How ignorant can people get? Well personally I don't care, but it's so annoying when people just profile a religion cause a certain terrorist group from that religion killed many people on 9/11.
Aug 22, 2010 5:14 PM

Aug 2008
zharnotczar said:
The religion itself never hurt anyone. People are taking their anger out on the religion instead of the terrorist groups. That seems pretty dumb, to me.

Just goes to show you how "uneducated" many of the right-wingers who vehemently oppose it.

nerb said:
The USA was founded on freedom of religion and speech, so there's no reason why not.

Bingo. And if there are people who really don't even like THAT idea... then consider the First Amendment discarded...
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 22, 2010 5:28 PM

Apr 2010
Baman said:
Well if it was my neighborhood, I'd rather have giant penis statues
You mean like this?
Aug 22, 2010 5:46 PM

Feb 2005
zharnotczar said:
You mean like this?
I was thinking more graphic, but yes, why not.
Aug 22, 2010 6:03 PM

Jul 2007
xSecret_Skyx said:
I have no problem with the mosque itself. But there are other places to build it. Why build that in such a place anyway? It doesn't make sense to me.
To me it's just like building a japanese thing in pearl harbor. It just doesb't belong.
No

There are Shinto Shrines near Pearl Harbor.

And I don't understand this "insensitive" bullshit. What is fucking insensitive about it? The religion isn't what attacked the United States, the terrorists (who happened to be Muslim) are. And there were also Muslim people who died in 9/11.

Who cares if there are ignorant fucktards who don't like it? I don't, and neither should the builders.

And btw this is coming from someone who's Indian and whose family is all Hindu (aka the mortal enemies of Islam). If I can get over it, surely you can too.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Aug 22, 2010 6:16 PM

Apr 2009

Islamophobes showing their true colors. Harassing some poor guy who's not even muslim, because he's brown with a goatee and a hat. Classy. Hallowed Ground my ass, people are using patriotism as a front for racism.
Aug 22, 2010 6:32 PM

Sep 2009
People keep calling it insensitive, but wasn't this center built for a Muslim parish (is that the word??) who's whole shtick was inter-religion acceptance and kindness to others? Well, that's how my local newspaper portrayed it, so correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, who cares? Yes, we know Muslims crashed a plane into the World Trade Center. Everyone's acting as though these Muslims in this community, whom as far as I know are pretty peace loving, completely and universally condoned the damn thing! Are they putting up a sign saying "Kill all infidels"? No, they aren't!!

And seriously, who writes the law that declares how close a mosque or Islamic community center can be built to Ground Zero? If it were 10 blocks away, would you care? 20? 50? The story is: they tore down an old, broken building no one was using and built a religious center (ie something people use). The Muslim community probably bought the land because it was cheap! Not as a slight against 9/11 victims.
Aug 22, 2010 6:39 PM

Apr 2010
Imagine the reactions if it were to be built on ground zero.
Aug 22, 2010 6:54 PM

May 2008
Wow and here I thought that mal would be against it.
Well I only wish that America was as tolerant as the mal community.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ground_zero_mosque_poll
It seem that almost 70% are opposed to the community centre.
Aug 22, 2010 7:55 PM

Jun 2008
This is a very touchy issue which will NOT have a happy ending.

In one side, the U.S is the country which is supposed to be tolerant and have 100% freedom of religion, therefore the building of any religious center shouldn't really be a problem.

On the other side, people are still hurt over 9/11 they don't want anything associated with Muslims near ground zero.

In the end I don't know what they should do, I fear if they build the center, some crazy idiot might attempt some crazy "revenge" and we'll have blood to deal with.

But if they don't build it, does that mean freedom of religion has lost???
Aug 22, 2010 7:57 PM
Feb 2009
This is one of the issues that we face when people allow their emotions to rule their thoughts.

Rikame has a point though. Many people are getting upset about fellow citizens practicing their constitutional rights. It's not hard to imagine that some of them will feel completely justified in vandalizing (or worse) the property. The irony being that they will have become the terrorists they so vehemently oppose.
Aug 22, 2010 7:58 PM
May 2010
should be built. to build the community center/mosque would signal to the entire arab world that America is a friend of Islam, but not of terrorists. to block construction would give the impression that it's not a war on terror, it's a war on islam, and that america rejects islam as a religion, giving terrorists more sympathizers and alienating the Arab world. it's why the feds support building it, why bloomberg supports construction as well.
Aug 22, 2010 8:24 PM

Aug 2008
alexcampos said:

More or less -- Ignorance has won.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Aug 22, 2010 8:25 PM

Oct 2009
KyuuAL said:
alexcampos said:

ZOMG KYUUUUUUUUUUUUU I LOVEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

*glomps kyuu*
Aug 22, 2010 8:33 PM

Aug 2008
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:
KyuuAL said:
alexcampos said:

ZOMG KYUUUUUUUUUUUUU I LOVEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

*glomps kyuu*

Ack! Get off me, faggot!

LOL

Anyways, do me a favor by kidnapping people. >:D

Aug 22, 2010 8:37 PM

Jul 2010
Personally i think building it will contribute to the world bending over for islam. Seriously look at all the shit we do for them because they cry racism at everything. Including video games that have fuck all to do with them.I for one am Proud that some Americans are very butthurt over this. Front for racism or not.
Aug 22, 2010 8:45 PM

Jul 2007
thereisnosanity said:
Personally i think building it will contribute to the world bending over for islam. Seriously look at all the shit we do for them because they cry racism at everything. Including video games that have fuck all to do with them.I for one am Proud that some Americans are very butthurt over this. Front for racism or not.

This isn't about what we're doing for them, this is about what we do for all of our citizens. We guarantee them certain rights, and building this is well within their rights. Also, I don't understand why you're butthurt over something that has nothing to do with you. This isn't a terrorist center, and it won't affect you in any way. If you don't like it then don't go there. It's quite simple really.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Aug 22, 2010 8:50 PM

Jul 2010
Sin said:
thereisnosanity said:

This isn't about what we're doing for them, this is about what we do for all of our citizens. We guarantee them certain rights, and building this is well within their rights. Also, I don't understand why you're butthurt over something that has nothing to do with you. This isn't a terrorist center, and it won't affect you in any way. If you don't like it then don't go there. It's quite simple really.

I Frankly dont really care. I just like seeing the Muslims being told no for once.

Edit: dat quote option
Aug 23, 2010 6:14 AM

Aug 2010
xSecret_Skyx said:
No

Wherever there is a minority of people there are going to have problems. Basically If there was a church/synagougue/ Temple built where there aren't many Christiuans/Jews/Hindu's people are going to have a problem...It exists everywhere.
Aug 23, 2010 8:15 AM

Apr 2010
thereisnosanity said:
Sin said:
thereisnosanity said:

I Frankly dont really care. I just like seeing the Muslims being told no for once.

So you'd like it if they were told no in a situation like this where there is no practical reason to be told no? You'd rather we turned unreasonable when you're pissed that they're unreasonable?
zharnotczarAug 23, 2010 3:11 PM
Aug 23, 2010 8:28 AM

Feb 2005
thereisnosanity said:
Well, I'm all for that, but then you'd have to do the same with Christians, Jews and the whole lot.

It's like that deal about Minarets being banned somewhere (Austria, was it?), I sure as hell wouldn't want some Imam bellowing from a tower anywhere near me, but if they get the boot, then I'd also demand they cut down all the infernal church bells as well.
Aug 23, 2010 3:05 PM

Jul 2010
zharnotczar said:
thereisnosanity said:
Sin said:
thereisnosanity said:

So you'd like it if they were told no in situation like this where there is no practical reason to be told no? You'd rather we turned unreasonable when you're pissed that they're unreasonable?

The only way to fight a thick head is with a thicker head.
Unless you can prove me wrong.....
Aug 23, 2010 3:11 PM

Apr 2010
thereisnosanity said:
zharnotczar said:
thereisnosanity said:
Sin said:
thereisnosanity said:

So you'd like it if they were told no in situation like this where there is no practical reason to be told no? You'd rather we turned unreasonable when you're pissed that they're unreasonable?

So all Muslims are thick headed. Way to generalize.
Aug 23, 2010 4:17 PM

Mar 2009
This entire thing has been a media death spiral. People are making a big deal about it because the media made a big deal out of it because people made a big deal about it, etc., etc. It doesn't help that all the American media outlets; ABC, CBS, Fox, are calling it the "ground zero mosque" when it is neither just a mosque nor on ground zero. Yay piss poor jounalism!

It's Muslim discrimination and guilt by associatin. There's no conenction between the community center and 9/11. None of the founders supported 9/11. It'd be like moving soccer fields farther away because the terrorists probably liked soccer. There's just no connection. And all the people who say "well, there aren't churches in Mecca!" are loony. How dare we strive for more religious freedom than Saudi Arabia! Why I never...

Plus, the demonination behind the center is Sufi, a largely pacifict denomination of Islam, like 99% of the 1.5 billion practioners worldwide.

It's really sad that the conservatives are turning this into a wedge issue for November elections, calling up the bible belt drones to do their bidding. I wanted to expect better from a party that champions private property, but I guess that's too much.
Aug 23, 2010 4:21 PM

Jul 2010
I smell controversy... When I discussed this with one of my friends, we had conflicting views. I respect her opinions (and everyone's on this thread who answers this seriously :P), but I'm going to stand my ground in what I believe.

Personally, I think that Muslims (as well as everybody else!!) have every right to practice their faith wherever they want. It's something I like to call the First Amendment. Freedom of religion, sound familiar?

I know that Ground Zero is a pretty touchy place to build the mosque for many Americans, but we have to remember that these were extreme radical groups that caused 9/11 (and we all know that EVERY religion has crazies running around whose actions don't reflect on people who actually take their faith seriously).

As someone said earlier on this thread, people are blaming the entire religion, not only the people who terrorized, for 9/11. I found an analogy on dA that explains the problem with this mindset: If a man crashes a perfectly-functioning car, the car isn't blamed; it's the man. (For those of you who are sleep-deprived like I am and can't think straight without a cup of tea, man=individual and car=religion. So don't blame Islam; blame those extreme terrorists.)

Wow, this ended up being a rant... I need some tea.

I'm an orch dork, through and through. I'm an orch dork. How 'bout you?
Aug 23, 2010 8:36 PM

Jul 2010
zharnotczar said:
thereisnosanity said:
zharnotczar said:
thereisnosanity said:
Sin said:
thereisnosanity said:

So all Muslims are thick headed. Way to generalize.

Waiting on someone to prove I am wrong.
Aug 23, 2010 9:57 PM
Feb 2009
thereisnosanity said:

thereisnosanity said:

Are you stating that the only way to deal with stupidity is to respond with greater stupidity? That would be a ridiculous argument.

I think maybe you meant to use the term "hardheaded". This would instead suggest stubbornness. When you have two people who are unwilling to compromise then neither of them win. It's not an effective way to deal with any situation unless your goal is a stalemate.
Aug 23, 2010 10:58 PM

Jul 2010
Jay_Ox said:
thereisnosanity said:

thereisnosanity said:

Are you stating that the only way to deal with stupidity is to respond with greater stupidity? That would be a ridiculous argument.

I think maybe you meant to use the term "hardheaded". This would instead suggest stubbornness. When you have two people who are unwilling to compromise then neither of them win. It's not an effective way to deal with any situation unless your goal is a stalemate.

thats what i was implying with the term thickheaded
Aug 24, 2010 12:00 AM

Nov 2007
thereisnosanity said:
Jay_Ox said:
thereisnosanity said:

thereisnosanity said:

Lets continually marginalize and pigeon-hole Muslims until the ones that are perfectly reasonable people don't want to deal with it anymore and conform to your expectations.

That way you can be right and there can be a holy war! Been a while.

Or perhaps you just fail to realise that the only way to eradicate islamic terrorism is to integrate muslims with the rest of the world to lose the "us or them" attitude the West is currently faced with (not helped by bombing Muslims fyi) and have the people committing these acts lose their support, their ability to gain additional members and eventually their significance.

That said, I don't particularly agree with PC "nannying", but this community centre should be allowed to go ahead, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it.
Aug 24, 2010 2:56 PM

Jul 2010
YukiLi said:
thereisnosanity said:
Jay_Ox said:
thereisnosanity said:

thereisnosanity said:

Lets continually marginalize and pigeon-hole Muslims until the ones that are perfectly reasonable people don't want to deal with it anymore and conform to your expectations.

Or perhaps you just fail to realise that the only way to eradicate islamic terrorism is to integrate muslims with the rest of the world to lose the "us or them" attitude the West is currently faced with (not helped by bombing Muslims fyi) and have the people committing these acts lose their support, their ability to gain additional members and eventually their significance.

That said, I don't particularly agree with PC "nannying", but this community centre should be allowed to go ahead, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

I am hoping you actually know alot about islam. Because if you did you would know Muhammad was a cradle robber, they vehemently HATE the English world, they dont support womens rights, etc etc.
Seriously son learn about that religion. Its almost as kooky as scientology
Aug 24, 2010 6:09 PM

Mar 2009
thereisnosanity said:
I am hoping you actually know alot about islam. Because if you did you would know Muhammad was a cradle robber, they vehemently HATE the English world, they dont support womens rights, etc etc.

You have no idea about Islam. There are 1.5 billion practioners worldwide. Having talked with people from countries like Qatar, Malaysia, and Indonesia, your idea that they all hate the "English" world (I think you mean "western") is wholly untrue. 99% of them are decent people.

If you want to talk about religions that have had criminal histories, Islam is no different than Christianity or most major religions. America already "bends over" way more for Christianity then it does for Islam.

This community center was APPROVED years ago without the blink of an eye. Nobody cared. Now that it's an election year, the conservatives have turned this into a campaign issue. What a fucking crock.
Aug 25, 2010 9:41 AM

Feb 2008
GoodEnoughForMe said:
thereisnosanity said:

You have no idea about Islam. There are 1.5 billion practioners worldwide. Having talked with people from countries like Qatar, Malaysia, and Indonesia, your idea that they all hate the "English" world (I think you mean "western") is wholly untrue. 99% of them are decent people.

If you want to talk about religions that have had criminal histories, Islam is no different than Christianity or most major religions. America already "bends over" way more for Christianity then it does for Islam.

This community center was APPROVED years ago without the blink of an eye. Nobody cared. Now that it's an election year, the conservatives have turned this into a campaign issue. What a fucking crock.

took the words right out of my mouth. GoodEnoughForMe

Aug 25, 2010 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
This is an absolutely horrible idea. The head honcho behind the construction, Feisal Abdul Rauf, is an advocate for Sharia Law.

No. Thank. You.

GoodEnoughForMe said:

99%? You clearly have no idea how many Islamic radicals are in the world. Don't get me wrong, I am no right wing radical and I don't hate Islam but that statement is just ignorant.

Sure I will agree on your point here.

Don't get me started here. I don't really want to veer off topic onto the campaign but I will say this...
I live on Cape Cod. The President, is currently on Martha's Vineyard an island below it, on vacation. The most popular t-shirt there is of Bush with the slogan "Miss me yet?" I have seen this on the Cape as well. Massachusetts is renown for being one of the most liberal states in the country. Sense a problem?

Please don't take offense to this as it wasn't personal. Even though I might have come off harsh, these are just my opinions.
Aug 25, 2010 10:38 AM

Sep 2009
thereisnosanity said:
YukiLi said:
thereisnosanity said:
Jay_Ox said:
thereisnosanity said:

thereisnosanity said:

i really doubt that you know any real Muslims
first of all what you are saying proves by 100% that you know nothing about the real Islam or who is really prophet Muhammad
most of the people in the western world takes their ideas from the media ..they say Muslims are terrorists so they are terrorists !! without really getting to know them
yes like any other people there are some who misunderstand Islam like the ones responsible for the 911 events but they are like only 0.5% or even less
besides there is no other religion who seeks peace as Islam and that was very clear when prophet Muhammad told his army before a war "don't kill a woman ,a child or an old man nor cut a tree"
((it was in Arabic so i translated it))
and about what you are saying about how they don't care about women rights is protecting a woman wrong? you probably think that Muslim women has got to sit down at home and do nothing ..well that was like 200 years ago nowadays women go out to work and they share the same rights as men
they live like all the women in the world the only difference is that they have a better life at least they know that when they get old or become ill they have got a husband who will take care of them unlike others where if a woman get's ill or old her husband will look for another one and she never knows when her husband will cheat on her!!
so please read about Islam from trustworthy websites or books ..or talk to some Muslims instead of just saying stuff without knowing the truth

and about the Muslim community center i support it because it will shows that America no longer believes that Islam is a religion of terrorism also it will shows that America really believes in Religious Freedom
Miss_MirageAug 25, 2010 11:01 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.