Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jun 12, 2021 8:31 AM

Aug 2018
I know this series is a real favorite of the connoisseurs, but it’s mostly inscrutable to me.

6/10 and that’s being kind, as it does drag.
Jan 4, 2022 3:28 AM

May 2020
Finally got around this time. The animation and music is something you'd expect from any Ufotable thing but still feels like there's a lot I don't know about. I know this release order being different from chronological order so yeah would take a bit grasping the things around.

Also Shiki too has those eyes of death perception same as Tohno Shiki, well not like I didn't knew about but still feels good again witnessing that same thing. 7/10 for now but might change it after completion.
Jan 23, 2022 4:29 PM

Feb 2021
bored out of my mind to be brutally honest
Feb 9, 2022 7:37 AM

May 2020
Hard to get into this since it isn't chronological and we aren't given a lot of information about the characters and their motivations.

Nonetheless, not a bad start. I liked the background music and while I found most of Toko's dialogue to be eye-roll inducing (Except for the "Don't choose your path based on the sins you bear but bear your sins along the path you've chosen" line), I liked the character interactions.

On to the sequels !!!!
Feb 17, 2022 5:50 AM
May 2021
I'm actually rewatching it and yeah it was pretty good.
Feb 22, 2022 9:47 PM

Feb 2020
this was fantastic!! really beautiful art and animation

i can tell the story is likely only just starting, which i'm excited for as i really liked this first movie/"episode"

shiki is really cool and i can tell i'm going to like it more and more

i actually quite like that this series, so far, seems vague and 'confusing'. when done in an interesting and good way, that kind of thing can be really interesting and draw me into a series. i'm sure that the confusing concepts will be explained later, which i think makes it a little more fun!

ost was awesome too, i was thinking to myself "wow, this is fantastic"

supposedly the episodes/movies aren't chronological, so that makes it really interesting and more of a mystery. i'm curious to see how everything plays out

i like the late 90s japan setting a lot

as a fate fan, i'm really excited to venture out into more of the nasuverse and i think this movie has left a really fantastic impression on me, and has confirmed the good things i've heard ab the rest of the nasuverse

May 10, 2022 7:40 PM

Dec 2021
holy fuck this is the epitome of pseudo but i'll watch some more, hopefully the rest aint as bad
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Jun 24, 2022 11:56 PM
Nov 2020
Like Monogatari series this one also got good dialogue script, the philosophical talk here got me, let's continue to see
Aug 28, 2022 11:17 PM
Jul 2016
I hate this anime. 15minutes in, I went from 1 mentally ill female character engaging in self harm and murdering people before her edgy transformation to another mentally ill female who cannot feel pain, is abused, raped, gang-raped, beaten, like fuck man. I still DO NOT KNOW whats going on and I watched 15 minutes of this shit.

This is poorly executed writing and I deeply dislike using violence and rape as shock value to make you engage more with the characters. Genuinely if Fate Stay Night or Fate Zero was written and executed like this, I would have lost interest in them and Nasu's other works too.
Jan 29, 2023 12:12 PM
Dec 2017
You’d think they’d lock up that condemned building after the third or fourth suicide in the span of a single week. No wonder the suicide rate is so high over there
Feb 4, 2023 5:18 PM
Dec 2020
Confusing to follow- but good music and plot.
Mar 21, 2023 12:18 PM
Jan 2017
A curious start. A bit too overly light with telling me what going on, for my liking. Hope the story less obtuse going forward. None the less still good and left me wanting to see the rest. I give it a strong 7. Would've been a 6 without the animation.
Jul 12, 2023 3:20 AM

Jan 2021
Finally starting these movies and I absolutely loved this movie. Cant believe this came out so many years ago. The animation, the visuals, the sound effects and Ost, everything about this rivals most anime that comes out nowadays. 
The plot was indeed a bit confusing for now since the order will be different but I already expected it. We will quite possibly go back in the past or maybe jump in the future as well in the next movies so I guess it would be good to binge them so I dont forget the timeline and stuff.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jul 14, 2023 9:22 AM

Nov 2010
I envy people who have committed suicide. They beat our innate fear of the unknown and biology's struggle to survive. They can finally rest in peace. Sure, there are cool things in life, but in my POV, it's useless if mortality limits our ability to enjoy them fully, and the memories & experiences we get from it are lost once we die. I hate it! I can only accept one of two extremes: either achieve immortality or die in peace. Since immortality is unachievable, I only hope to become brave enough and kill myself someday.

Those beautiful girls that died were a waste of good meat! Maybe I can still barbecue. I don't want to waste good meat!
The mystery was intriguing, and the action looked good!
Knock it back = oral sex hehe If I were Mikiya, I'll make Shiki drink my manly juice!
The ED is excellent!
Jul 15, 2023 12:19 AM

Aug 2019

I'll admit i didn't know what was happening a lot of the time diving head first into this series mostly blind, I'm only familiar with Nasu's Fate series works but so far i loved this movie.

The visuals, atmosphere and OST for this movie was fucking spectacular. Even though the plot for a first time watcher felt confusing, i was in absolute awe over some of the scenery and the OST with it. The amount of suspense that was built up in some scenes was great and really overall such a selling point for me.

Some of the writing dialogue and symbolism as well felt really thoughtful, i definitely didn't clock all of it, but i kinda understood the meanings between "flying" "floating" and the links to Fujou Kirie. If the other movies have some of these deeper dialogues and messages, i'd be really hooked to watch more.
Jul 25, 2023 6:20 PM

Jan 2021
how

the

hell

is this movie from 2007?

Aug 8, 2023 11:00 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Oh to be that strawberry haagen dazs ice cream

Just checking ufotable's other well known work besides the fate series and demon slayer, the one that I believe started to really put them on the map, and all the way back at 2007 at that. So initial, brief thoughts: not bad, pretty good actually, clean animation as expected even from back then. The visuals and music make this feel straight out of fate stay night- or maybe it should be the other way around since this was released several years prior. Personally not exactly interested enough to keep going, but maybe I'll watch at least the next part or two. In case I don't and you as some odd soul roaming these parts catches this, let me know if I'm missing out, especially on parts 5 and 7 which are supposed to be really good. This is coming from someone mostly impartial to this first movie though, feeling about a 6/10 for this first movie (release-date wise, I'm assuming this isn't exactly released chronologically because of course not. If there even is a chronological order, idk at this point if it works like that) in the Kara no Kyoukai series. I liked the conversation those two had about death and suicide at the end there. Pretty deep. Anyway, most likely not gonna keep watching, but I might, these are only like an hour-long each after all, so idk just yet. In the mean time, cya 'round. This is actually the very last anime that I have on my PTW list. Yeah since I started from early 2020 I've finally cleared it out completely, not counting the titles that have yet to be aired. Yeah while I have nothing but seasonals and re-watches on my mind, maybe I'll keep going. This didn't feel like 50 minutes after all, did feel half as long. Maybe that's saying something. Oh yeah, there's a post credits scene which I almost missed, just a fyi.

6.5/10
BetaMaleUltraAug 8, 2023 11:12 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 10, 2023 10:17 AM

Jan 2017
BetaMaleUltra said:
In case I don't and you as some odd soul roaming these parts catches this, let me know if I'm missing out, especially on parts 5 and 7 which are supposed to be really good.

It depends on what you seek.
Most of the Movies appear to be episodic psychological supernatural cases , but they are all deeply linked together , forming an overarching plot.

Movie 5 is the most well liked , because he has the most impactful and developed psychological themes and symbolisms , while also linking together the 6 other main Movies. He's often considered as the real end/climax of the franchise.
Movie 7 is the one that complete the development of the 2 main characters , with a case that is deeply personally connected to them.

Movie 1 is merely selling you the general ambiance of the franchise , while Movie 2 will set the characters and their relationship.
You will feel like there is no "real story" before Movie 5.

What i personally love about Kara no Kyoukai , is the mystery element.
Actually , the mysteries that are introduced in Movie 2 are revealed only extremely subtly through all the Movies. (Especially the 7th)
Coupled with the non-linear stories and their psychological themes , it makes the entire franchise extremely confusing , requiring the viewer to pay attention to the smallest details , and often even re-watch everything to get the full picture.

BetaMaleUltra said:
release-date wise, I'm assuming this isn't exactly released chronologically because of course not. If there even is a chronological order, idk at this point if it works like that

Each Movie show the date they take place , so it's not too complicate to arrange them to be chronological.

The problem is that Movie 5 himself is not chronological. He goes back and forth in his own timeline.
Movie 7 also includes flashback of off-screen scenes of Movie 2 , and Movie 9 & 10 contains 3 parts taking place at different places between Movies.

So it's already not a good idea to mess with the intentional confusion that was created , but it can't even be fully chronological anyway.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 22, 2023 6:39 AM

Aug 2011
KNK is a lot better to watch in chronological order
Oct 29, 2023 1:37 PM

Jan 2021
I've been putting these films off for a while. But I've also been running out of animated Nasuverse stuff to watch.

But this is the first time I'd say, I liked this film. But I don't understand why.

I'm okay with that maybe it just a soft spot for Nasu work which I can't defend nor explain.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Nov 11, 2023 8:20 AM
Feb 2021
Amazing work, the bg sound, the artwork everything was amazing.
Mar 26, 2:51 PM
Apr 2018
10 on atmosphere alone. Insightful existential commentary and subtle character work certainly helps too.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» What would you recommend in the Kara no Kyoukai series if I were to see it in a movie theater?

kihel - Nov 18, 2023

16 by kihel »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:42 PM

» future KnK movies similar to this first one? (spoilers maybe)

yoru987 - Sep 8, 2023

21 by Zane_0 »»
Oct 25, 2023 5:51 PM

» Is the plot of each film self-contained?

StaleNut - Jul 4, 2023

8 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Jul 4, 2023 4:47 AM

» Do you like Shiki?

Stacias - Aug 6, 2022

24 by Merve2Love »»
Jun 30, 2023 8:44 PM

» Help please

ScuzzyBear - Apr 1, 2023

6 by Mr_Ding »»
Apr 1, 2023 1:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.