Forum Settings
Forums

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl the Movie: Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2010 3:04 PM

May 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, it was a really sad movie when Darkrai was dissolved I'm happy he came back :D
Nov 26, 2013 3:52 AM

Jul 2008
You can't die in a pokemon movie, just can't happen. That being said this movie rocked. On the pokemon movie scale this had the best battles to date. Pretty decent story, and Darkrai was just cool.

8/10
Jul 6, 2014 7:23 AM

Oct 2013
agreed what you said, loved this movie, and i looooooooooove this ED, i can hear like thousand times and it doesnt bother me
Jul 16, 2015 2:56 PM

Apr 2010
I think that wasn't the best pokemon movie but enjoyed it anyway.
Jun 21, 2016 2:11 PM

Jul 2013
Wow I thought more people would've discussed it on here.

I'll just copy the thoughts I put on my tumblr.

I recorded it off CITV the other month and it was really awesome.

I liked the whole time and space Pokemon and them putting them in another universe and then the whole town disappearing whilst the two Pokemon who should never have met fought all the time whilst Darkrai who everyone thought was the cause was actually trying to save them and the town.

I’m glad Darkrai hadn’t really died like it looked like he had.

It seems the DVD has gone out of print in the UK so was good I recorded it, it had the DVD credits on the end though because it said DVD menu by and they were in English lol.

I’ve never seen Dawn before as I hadn’t watched the series she was in but she seemed like a good character. It kinda makes me wanna go back and watch all the seasons I missed as they aired.

Brock was in it again! lol. That was kinda surprising. I think his voice actor was different from the original series though, I was like when he said something near the start “no find Brock’s original voice” lol.

I think James had his original voice actor though who I missed. I kinda wish Team Rocket had been in it more. Or maybe it was a different guy looking on here.

There were those characters who challenged Ash just before stuff went down who I didn’t know.

So in the end that relaxing song and the towers that played it were the key to taming the beasts anger and stopping them feuding which they only just managed to do with all the destruction and disappearing stuff around them.

At first I wasn’t sure I liked it but it got a bit more interesting towards the end.

Maybe not the best but the story was quite interesting, I dunno. I liked it.
May 2, 2020 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
my take:
- the english voices (aside from Brock) has much improved as their actors are not forcing it
- they dropped the ball on Alice’s design by not giving her a Buneary since her hairstyle looks like a Buneary
- back to killing or almost killing a pokemon (or Ash in others) as a plotpoint lol
- that Oracion scene was very pretty
May 18, 2021 1:47 PM

May 2008
On a 2nd rewatch, this movie is pretty bad. Legit everything that happens, just does. There's no backing logic nor reasoning to it.

Why is Darkrai in this random town's garden putting the pokemon there in Nightmares?

Why does this one granny's song have powers to calm down pokegods?

Who was giving the old man the power to see the future in the form of a "nightmare"? Darkrai? How can it do that?

Why are Palkia and Dialga fighting?

Why are there Unknown flying about while they do?

If Palkia was just there to heal and hide, why did Darkrai bother it? It would have left anyway, right?

Why can Darkrai talk when his lines serve no real purpose?

Why are the stairs to the way to save the freaking town so damn tall? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it short so you can reach it fast in a crisis?

Why can the granny's song HEAL Palkia's injury?

Why did Palkia decide to stick around so some rando humans its been ignoring the whole time can yell at it?

All these questions aren't truly answered, but the events that cause them are needed for any of the plot to actually take place. (well except Darkai talking) If none of happens, the plot comes a standstill and simply can't take place. That's how weak this plot is; it's held by the cheapest glue you can find and some cheap tape.

Add onto it they used a lot of CGI in this movie, ALL of which look dated even 5 some years later and this movie doesn't really have anything going for it. Even the stakes aren't taken seriously because half the time Satoshi and Hikari just stand around to watch what's going on instead of them focusing everything on getting up the stairs that are disappearing every second by the way.

Terrible, terrible movie. Heck, it's another movie where Satoshi-tachi don't truly need to be in it. Any heroic characters could have done what they did. And that's because they don't truly have any defined role other than being the delivery duo.
Jul 15, 2021 7:36 PM

Sep 2017
Great movie goes straight to the action
i enjoyed the fight; Dialga and Palkia almost destroying the town was cool. Goes to show how over power Legendaries are!
Darkrai was super cool, looks like the Grim Reaper.
I'll answer some of what posts above mine said:
>
-Why is Darkrai in this random town's garden putting the pokemon there in Nightmares?

= Darkrai just lives there , just like any pokemon. Darkrai retaliated because they were attacking it. Just like if anyone punches you you would punch them back.

-Why are Palkia and Dialga fighting?

= They hate each other or they were in each others turf

- Why are there Unknown flying about while they do?

> Unknowns live in different dimensions, explaines in movie 2 with entei
and in PokeDex

-If Palkia was just there to heal and hide, why did Darkrai bother it? It would have left anyway, right?

= Palkia is destroying the place/is about too. Darkrai needed it to leave before it took place.

- Why can Darkrai talk when his lines serve no real purpose?

= Telepathy , Darkrai talking is like saying why can anything talk , mewtwo meowth chatot, ect ect.
they just can because they want too.
lol

- Why are the stairs to the way to save the freaking town so damn tall? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it short so you can reach it fast in a crisis?

= these buildings were built along time ago. maybe no resources. maybe they wanted to be fancy and make it look cool.

- Why can the granny's song HEAL Palkia's injury?

= did you watch the movie or no, it did heal palkias wounded pearl when the whole town was glowing.

( edit : mybad , thought you said why didnt palkia heal its injuries )

Sakarii said:

Why did Palkia decide to stick around so some rando humans its been ignoring the whole time can yell at it?

= Mod Palkia: " haha yeah mybad , maybe i did go over board, sorry about that human oh I'll even bring back that shadow guy i pulverized !!1!! "
vv1Jul 15, 2021 7:41 PM
Oct 3, 2021 1:31 AM
Jun 2016
I cried at the end🥺
Apr 5, 2023 6:36 AM

Sep 2021
i shouldn't have watched this cuz as long it was just a memory from my childhood, it was good.

i knew just tad bits about the movie but now that i rewatched this, it feels pretty meh

the only good reasons to watch this were
palkia and dialga cries
and
croagunk cancelling their attacks (cool af)
May 1, 2023 4:15 AM

Jan 2013
Damn Croagunk with that cool scene punching the blast away ^^
The Oración bit at the end was very pretty.

I appreciate that the legendary Pokemon actually had a big role in the story, put them to good use.
Really fun and great battles too.

Just a solid movie, 8/10
May 14, 2023 2:02 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 3.5   
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 4
[M-Character] - 4
[S-Character] - 3
[Enjoyment] - 3.5
[Overall] - 3.5
The Story was a fine one had many good moments, the animation of many of the battle scenes were good to great, the music I enjoyed too, songs sang were a relaxing type of feeling. I like Alice, simple life and the joy she brings to others and the Pokémon around the town, but the Baron was a pain in the ass. I recall watching it for the first time as a teen, I though Darkrai was kind of cool back then, but now I just see a shy broken down character that just wanted peace and understanding form others. 
P.s, I was a bit happy to see Bogii he's the market vendor who travels selling souvenirs and other memorabilia. I never forget him because of the film Jirachi Wish Maker. One of the side character I will always remember from many of the Pokémon films.
CcCharlesMay 18, 2023 10:27 AM

More topics from this board

» Anybody know?

Vince - May 2, 2008

1 by shadowsaiph »»
Sep 13, 2008 9:22 AM

» YOu have to admit..

SargeantDawg - Feb 25, 2008

4 by SargeantDawg »»
Mar 12, 2008 11:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.