New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 28, 2008 9:05 PM

Apr 2008
tweetlepie said:
dumbasatri said:
tweetlepie said:
ummyeah said:
I pray that all of us do not return to school with the sounds of kids yelling, "TEAM BRIGADE!" and "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?" ringing throughout the hallways.

Now hot topic will probably be selling Kamina glasses instead of Naruto headbands.

actually, that could be interesting.

Behold! These will show up in your hallways!
Great.
Another reason to cry myself to sleep tonight.
:(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2008 9:05 PM

Mar 2008
tweetlepie said:

I just threw up a little. I thought Narutards were bad, Gurrentards are 10000000x more horrifying.

Jul 28, 2008 9:06 PM

Apr 2008
holyflame14 said:
just what we need, one of the most baddass chicks in anime to be a happy hand time memory of children around the world -_-
lol. She's like the Faye Valentine of this generation...!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2008 9:08 PM

Feb 2008
I got bullied by a bunch of strange otakus once.
My semi friend was saying I was crazy for not watching Naruto then out of nowhere 7 of them showed up and started yelling at me and accused me of watching Love Hina. (?)
I got out of their alive, but I don't think I would have made it if their eyes had been pointy.
Jul 28, 2008 9:10 PM

Jul 2008
we can have different opinions on this dub guys

but can we all agree that the one shining part of it is STEVE BLUM AS LEERON!

dear god i fell out of my chair laughing when i heard him

kamina could use more work but he does have some shining moments. the who the hell do you think i am kick was done pretty well. he'll grow into it

simon was pretty good too

but leeron wins the prize!

now we just need to hear Viral

" I don't want to be remembered at all. That means I'm dead."-Yuri Orlov
"No martial art can defeat the divine teachings of Smith & Wesson"-4chan
Jul 28, 2008 9:13 PM

May 2007
rayne21x said:

and Lord Genome
Jul 28, 2008 9:20 PM

Apr 2008
Pokedude97 said:
rayne21x said:

and Lord Genome
and Rossiu.
[:
Jul 28, 2008 9:20 PM

Mar 2008
Pokedude97 said:
rayne21x said:

and Lord Genome

and Nia and Rossiu
Jul 28, 2008 9:22 PM

Mar 2008
Pokedude97 said:
and Lord Genome

You'll be sad to hear that Bandai has officially translated his name as "Lordgenome" All one word =/

Feb 2008
My predictions:
Viral will let you down
Genome will be alirght
Rossiu will work, but it wont be anything special.
Nia will work for some but annoy the shit out of others.
Jun 2008
Pokedude97 said:
Simon - OK
Kamina - Bad
Yoko - I can't take Rukia as Yoko seriously, although it's not that bad.

and, is it just me, or did they change Buta's voice?

yea the rukia voice will need some growing on me since im use to that voice on bleach...but i only saw 2 sub gurren lagann eps so the voices dont annoy me as much as everyone alse...but i dont really like Kamina voice either...lol.
Jul 28, 2008 9:23 PM

Mar 2008
Here's Bandai's Cast if anyone is interested:

Simon: Yuri Lowenthal
Kamina: Kyle Hebert
Yoko: Michelle Ruff
Viral: Sam Riegel (sometimes credited as Sam Regal)
Rossiu: Johnny Yong Bosch
Kittan: Christopher Smith
Leeron: Steven Jay Blum
Nia: Hynden Walch
Kiyoh: Karen Strassman
Kinnon: Stephanie Sheh
Kiyal: Gina Bowes
Lordgenome: Jamieson K Price
Tetsukan: Tony Oliver
Narrator: Tony Oliver

Jul 28, 2008 9:24 PM

Oct 2007
Looks like I was too optimistic...I thought there were people honestly interested in the dub, but instead you all turned out to be a bunch of people who wanted something to bitch about.

If you know you're gonna hate it, don't watch it. End of story.
You can find me on IRC.
Jul 28, 2008 9:26 PM

Mar 2008
tweetlepie said:
dumbasatri said:
tweetlepie said:
ummyeah said:
I pray that all of us do not return to school with the sounds of kids yelling, "TEAM BRIGADE!" and "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?" ringing throughout the hallways.

Now hot topic will probably be selling Kamina glasses instead of Naruto headbands.

actually, that could be interesting.

again, thank god im in College. once i thought anything could be made more awesome with Kamina sunglasses. you've successfully proved me wrong.
Jul 28, 2008 9:31 PM

Mar 2008
Kuyukly said:
Looks like I was too optimistic...I thought there were people honestly interested in the dub, but instead you all turned out to be a bunch of people who wanted something to bitch about.

fair point. and i thought it was alright, and was still thrilled to see it on broadcast TV. anything that can widen the market and let more stuff be broadcast on TV is fine with me (i just may not watch all of it personally)
Jul 28, 2008 9:34 PM

Mar 2008
dumbasatri said:
Kuyukly said:

fair point. and i thought it was alright, and was still thrilled to see it on broadcast TV. anything that can widen the market and let more stuff be broadcast on TV is fine with me (i just may not watch all of it personally)

Agreed. I thought the dub got better as it continued, still fairly bad though IMO. I may continue watching it, may not. The commercial breaks every 30 seconds annoy me a lot more then the dub does anyway.

Jul 28, 2008 9:36 PM

Jul 2008
tweetlepie said:
My predictions:
Viral will let you down
Genome will be alirght
Rossiu will work, but it wont be anything special.
Nia will work for some but annoy the shit out of others.

im sad to say i agree

i want Viral to be badass but i think he'll be the one voice they fuck up
nia will be hit or miss with everyone but i think that anti-spiral nia will sound sexy

" I don't want to be remembered at all. That means I'm dead."-Yuri Orlov
"No martial art can defeat the divine teachings of Smith & Wesson"-4chan
Jul 28, 2008 9:37 PM

May 2007
Lmfao I was just thinking, what if they pronounce Rossiu a bit like Roshi.

Master Rossiu
Jul 28, 2008 9:50 PM

Nov 2007
I haven't seen the Japanese (the testosterone levels scared me away when it first aired), but I didn't think the dub was too bad. Kamina's voice felt a bit lacking even without anything to compare it to, but the rest did fair work, especially Yuri Lowenthal (but let's face it, Yuri can do no wrong in my book ever since he voiced Luke for Tales of the Abyss <3). It was decent for now (and it's the way of dubs to improve as the actors get used to their characters), and it's pulled enough of my interest that I wouldn't mind watching a few more episodes.

[avatar from Tales of the Abyss]
Jul 28, 2008 9:52 PM

Feb 2007
Everyone was voiced well. However, Kamina came off as hit or miss with lots of miss. The voice wasn't bad, but it just didn't fit most of the time.

By the way, since this is on the Sci-Fi Channel and not Cartoon Network, there is a smaller chance that you'll actually see kids screaming this stuff out in school...
Jul 28, 2008 10:30 PM

Feb 2008
..I actually liked the dub. Please don't kill me! It didn't live up to the original voice cast but it wasn't the worst dub ever. Leeron was spot on, Simon and Yoko were ok and Kamina lacked.. something. Commercials didn't bug me since I have DVR and can skip all the commercials at a press of a button. :P
Jul 28, 2008 11:23 PM

Feb 2007
ForlornHope said:
..I actually liked the dub. Please don't kill me! It didn't live up to the original voice cast but it wasn't the worst dub ever. Leeron was spot on, Simon and Yoko were ok and Kamina lacked.. something. Commercials didn't bug me since I have DVR and can skip all the commercials at a press of a button. :P

lol Yay for DVR. Ugh, but mine seemed to have started early or something because it kept cutting out the final few seconds to a minute of the episode. Good thing I was also recording Now and Then so I could watch those final short moments.
Jul 29, 2008 7:16 AM

Nov 2007
not much i can add to this discussion. i didn't even know they had licensed it for airing in north america. i just happened to walk past the television after my roommate had passed out in the living room and watched it for about a minute.

yes, leeron was spot on, but the voices of the main cast really disappointed me. i don't think that people who are watching the dubbed series for the first time will be captivated the way that i was after having watched the subs. that's just my opinion of course, i do hope that more people enjoy this series as much as i did.
Jul 29, 2008 7:55 AM

Oct 2007
Oh jeez, some of you need to cry more.

I just watched it. Simon and Yoko's voices were spot-on. Kamina's voice could've been better but is passable. Leeron is ftw.
You can find me on IRC.
Jul 29, 2008 10:09 AM

Jan 2008
Kuyukly said:
Oh jeez, some of you need to cry more.

I just watched it. Simon and Yoko's voices were spot-on. Kamina's voice could've been better but is passable. Leeron is ftw.

amen to that
Jul 29, 2008 12:44 PM
Sep 2007
Meh....Kamina hurts to listen to...I wish Steven Blum had done him instead. Kamina reminded me of GTO and Steven Blum did SO well with GTO....*Tears*

However, he is doing really well with Leeron. To me, all the voice actors are good, except Kyle Hebert. Then I remembered Hebert did Adult Gohan...and I fell into a deep depression...(j/k)
Jul 29, 2008 1:14 PM

Jun 2007
Kamina definitely lacks his theatrical way of speech. He seems too toned down which is a great distance from his Japanese VA which is part of what made Kamina so great. He has a magnanimous personality and therefore required an equally magnanimous speech pattern. Kamina's English VA was apparently not up for the task. Simon was good, I think Yuri Lowenthal will transition well from boy to adult. Yoko was also good but Leeron's was spot on. I admit, I thought Steve Blum was a bad choice but he can definitely play the effeminate part.

Jul 29, 2008 1:23 PM
Sep 2007
Legion17 said:
but Leeron's was spot on. I admit, I thought Steve Blum was a bad choice but he can definitely play the effeminate part.

agreed. he should have played both kamina and leeron. kyle hebert seems to be forcing kamina's voice instead of becoming kamina. and his voice brings back horrible memories of the Great Saiyaman!!!...(they ruined gohan...)
Jul 29, 2008 3:50 PM

Jul 2008
ForlornHope said:
..I actually liked the dub. Please don't kill me! It didn't live up to the original voice cast but it wasn't the worst dub ever. Leeron was spot on, Simon and Yoko were ok and Kamina lacked.. something.

Come on people, did you expect the DUB to be better or even as good? Of course not, but still...

Simon- OK, and people... it IS pronounced "Seemoan", not "Sim-on".
Yoko- Eh, fine.
Leeron- Absolutely hilarious, doesn't madder if it isn't like him in the orig.
Kamina- Christ, hate the voice, love the acting. This is much better then getting someone who has the right voice, but can't say the lines correctly (the pazzaz that Kamina has.)

I was just happy that they got the, "Day after day, all I do is drill" beginning correctly.

Old Simon- I actually thought it was terrible when I first heard it, but meh... whatever.

People wanting a sub- Go and download one... that way you will have still good quality, normal OP and End, no commercials, and you don't have to wait each week.
Jul 29, 2008 4:37 PM

Feb 2007
cdccc6 said:
People wanting a sub- Go and download one... that way you will have still good quality, normal OP and End, no commercials, and you don't have to wait each week.

lol Shush you! Instead, people should be buying the sub-only DVDs if they're going to complain about the dub and the wait.
Jul 29, 2008 6:09 PM

Dec 2007
i don't like how they were pronouncing simon,
sounds like the emphasis they have it on the "si" part over the "mon" part.
whereas the japanese is more on the "mon" than the "si"

kamina's voice sounded to me a little...hmm...higher pitch?
need a little deeper huskier sounding voice to get that one right.
Jul 30, 2008 2:37 PM

Feb 2008
So are they just releasing the sub DVDs only or will they also release the dubbed one's in due time.

Jul 30, 2008 3:10 PM

Mar 2008
Sha8 said:
So are they just releasing the sub DVDs only or will they also release the dubbed one's in due time.

Right now only the subbed DVDs are being released but the dub will be released on DVD in early 2009.
Jul 30, 2008 6:00 PM

Feb 2008
cdccc6 said:

Come on people, did you expect the DUB to be better or even as good? Of course not, but still...

A girl can hope, can't she. :P

quicksilver111 said:
Sha8 said:

Right now only the subbed DVDs are being released but the dub will be released on DVD in early 2009.

I've heard rumors that the bilingual DVDs might come as early as November. Don't quote me on that though.
Jul 30, 2008 6:14 PM

Jun 2008
Well i liked the dubs, and most all the voices were spot on with the mouth movements, and I liked that. I for one haven't seen too many dubs and (around maybe 5 if that) prefer the eng subs, but this one is great.

I did like the voices for all, and although some Kamina was lacking, he was...JUST A LITTLE. I liked his voice. And it went well with his character. Please don't read this if you haven't seen past episode 9 :

Overall: Loved it. (now i just need to find where to download them...)
Signature Here.
Jul 30, 2008 7:13 PM

Jul 2008
While I still prefer the voices from the original dub, I must admit, the English dub voices aren't bad, Simon's is spot on. Yoko isn't bad, she passes at least. Kamina lacks GAR, the actual acting is okay I guess, but it's just neither deep or emotional enough. At least Chieftain raises a good point on that basis, despite the fact I love his character. Leeron... Really, do I need explain why this voice is win in just about every way possible?

A few of the pronunciation things irked me, though. Ganmen --> Gun Man in particular, though the Seamoan versus the way it's pronounced in the original dub or even the normal English pronunciation of Simon. Past that, I could be mistaken, but I thought they referred to Ritona as Litner or something. Oh, also, the whole Team Gurren vs. Gurren Brigade = SadInPants

Edit: WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?
BakayaroJul 30, 2008 7:21 PM

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Jul 30, 2008 8:10 PM

Feb 2008
I agree...the dub voices aren't bad of course I haven't heard the sub versions yet.

Jul 31, 2008 3:57 PM

May 2008
wow, that was... bad. but ill agree with everyone, leeron steals the show
Jul 31, 2008 5:39 PM
Sep 2007
Senna said:
Kamina's voice felt a bit lacking even without anything to compare it to, but the rest did fair work, especially Yuri Lowenthal (but let's face it, Yuri can do no wrong in my book ever since he voiced Luke for Tales of the Abyss <3).

*applauds* Thank you for pointing out that Shimon is Luke. Though, I thnk Yuri could improve a lil. If you enjoyed hearing Yuri, then you may like to know that Johnny Young Bosch (Guy Cecil) will be Rossiu.
Aug 2, 2008 10:49 AM

Jul 2008
ccnavi said:
If you enjoyed hearing Yuri, then you may like to know that Johnny Young Bosch (Guy Cecil) will be Rossiu.

Old or young Rossiu? (Stupid question, old... right?).
Aug 4, 2008 11:05 AM

Mar 2008
cdccc6 said:
Old or young Rossiu? (Stupid question, old... right?).

According to the cast list, he's playing both old and young Rossiu.

Two more episodes tonight. Wonder how Viral and the Black Siblings will turn out.

EDIT: They have a trailer over on Bandai's official site with Viral in it. His voice actually sounds pretty good.
IslayaAug 4, 2008 4:48 PM

Aug 5, 2008 10:26 PM

Feb 2008
shoot! I missed it last monday.
how was rossiu?
Aug 5, 2008 11:41 PM

Mar 2008
tweetlepie said:
shoot! I missed it last monday.
how was rossiu?

We haven't heard Rossiu yet since he doesn't appear until episode 5 which will be shown this coming Monday.
Aug 18, 2008 8:46 PM

Feb 2008
I always miss this!
I just caught the last 15 minutes of episode 8.
I missed the episode (and only) yuko x kamina scene.
Aug 18, 2008 8:58 PM

Aug 2007
:DD i always record it so me won't miss it.

yoko x kamina scene ftw~
Aug 19, 2008 9:48 PM

Mar 2008
If you have an Xbox 360 they have the episodes available to download for $2 a piece. I think they're also available on iTunes but I don't know about the quality there.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1151 by Spiral26 »»
Apr 8, 11:01 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.