Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jan 5, 2011 1:40 PM

Nov 2010
I think most people who comitt suicide aren't either weak or selfish. I'd be lying if I said I never thought about it, but my reasons, and probably the reasons for some would so I wouldn't get in anyone's way any longer. So I wouldn't say that all those who try to committ suicide are selfish, as every person has their own motive and reasoning behind it. I don't think that it's the best way to go about your problems, but I don't blame the people who comitt it, or believe that their suicide will cause some direct harm in their "after-life" or whatever other mumbo jumbo beliefs people have.

Jan 5, 2011 6:08 PM

Nov 2010
Sucrose said:
Did some search and couldn't find a topic that could help me, so anyway..
I'm doing an assignment, and need some non-church views on suicide.
It's a pretty interesting topic to discuss.
Without rambling on any further,
I'd just like to know the following..

What are your views on suicide?
What do you feel is morally right?
Is this backed by religion or personal beliefs?
Maybe a mixture?

I personally have a neutral standing in regards to suicide, people can choose what they want to do with their life.
Please take the time to answer this seriously.
Thank you in advance.
So you ask for non-church views then ask if its backed up by morals and religion after, make up yo mind! lol

K, suicide is the deliberate choice of ending one's own life. RCC (Roman Catholic Church) views suicide as sinful and you go to hell for ending your own life that "God" created for you, as a result you never had a last second thought of reconciliation because you died by your own hands with the intent of dying for whatever reason.

Science can't really be sided with morals on this one because there is no need for science to interpret "morals", but technically it is incorrect to commit suicide because the sole purpose of our existence is to survive. If you are ending your purpose to survive and reproduce then you aren't following the circle of life. But what the hell? Lets have a global holiday of SUICIDE and lets see what happens.

Judaism and Islam have pretty much the same perspective as the RCC's perspective.

Buddhism and Hinduism says its an A.O.K because you will be dealt with in the afterlife regardless with Karma's judgment process (or something like that) and then reincarnate once again.

Politically, its beneficial to lower the population anyways, so have at it the senators say (maybe not Republican but hell deep inside it is beneficial)

Now lets look at this logically: say you had a shit life with nowhere to go, no opportunity to make money to feed yourself at the most, nobody to interact with, you give up. Can you condemn somebody for never seeing a single act of kindness? Most certainly not! First of all you can't blame the person for killing themselves, they died to end their useless lives.

On the other hand, say if you were a filthy rich pig with a pathetic reason to die and had plenty of people who really cared for you, then you can say they are cowards.

Now can you add morals to topics such as this? Sure you can. Doesn't mean that the moral code given is necessarily correct. When it all comes down to it, its merely opinionated the way I see it. I believe that if you really know that its for the best that you die and have no way to die (like nobody after you) and you've figured everything out and mapped out your options, then do it. Not a necessary action to do, just an immature one if you ask me. There's always a way to change your life and make it better.
DigiDigiJan 5, 2011 7:14 PM
Jan 5, 2011 7:56 PM

Nov 2007
I feel suicide is a private, personal issue. One that should not be up to society or other individuals - through law or penalty.

While it may not be the most desirable position, from a moral or religious standpoint, it is a human decision and a human right. We have the right to life, we also have the right to death as we see fit.

To quote Thomas Szasz: “Suicide is a fundamental human right. This does not mean that it is morally desirable. It only means that society does not have the moral right to interfere”.
Jan 5, 2011 7:58 PM

Nov 2010
fluffyboy said:
I feel suicide is a private, personal issue. One that should not be up to society or other individuals - through law or penalty.

While it may not be the most desirable position, from a moral or religious standpoint, it is a human decision and a human right. We have the right to life, we also have the right to death as we see fit.

To quote Thomas Szasz: “Suicide is a fundamental human right. This does not mean that it is morally desirable. It only means that society does not have the moral right to interfere”.

I like this.
It was not written in the stars that we be together.
Jan 5, 2011 8:23 PM

Feb 2009
Personally, I think suicide is something that should be left to that person. It would not stop me from getting angry if it was a relative or close friend, but it is a personal choice none the less. One that I would never go for myself.

However, what bugs me are the suicides that effect other people as well, such as jumping off a bridge into traffic. They have no right to take the lives of others.
Jan 6, 2011 1:11 AM

Sep 2010
Views on suicide: It's a person's choice on what to do with their lives, so it's really up to them entirely. My views will change depending on the person's circumstances, like if it was a war prisoner that they were torturing to get information out of, or someone who was being used for testing in a lab, then I can understand their choice. But if it's a young person who did it to make people suffer, then that's just a messed up mind which probably could have been cured. But I gotta give them credit for having the courage to kill themselves, cause I don't think I could do it. Especially for young people who are depressed, I think they're making a bad decision because they have so much ahead of them and so much potential, and because they're young there are so many people who will want to reach out and help them. It does hurt so much at the time, and it seems like the pain will never end, but there will be a point where they'll be able to grow up and learn to face their problems head on.

Morally right?: Hm...My personal belief is to treasure life, cause we've only got one. Even if life sucks, there's bound to be someone out there who cares and can make a suicidal person feel better and help them up. I don't have any religious beliefs regarding suicide.
Jan 6, 2011 6:52 AM

Aug 2010
Suicide, Ummm In my opinion it's the most Cowardly thing a person can do. If one runs away from life like that they are cowards, nothing more nothing less. Even if your Life is like Hell, don't choose Suicide to be the last resort. There are a lot other Good ways to get outta Hell.

I am not saying don't kill yourself just because your Parents, Family, Loved ones are gonna go Tears, You have your own life, Live it fair and square!

Please don't say, You don't know How it feels at that condition, or you dunno anything.. because I really don't. I don't know What motivates people to end their life. Is it just because of a peculiar problem? No matter How big the problem is, there's always a way to get out of it. At least that's what I believe.
Jan 6, 2011 8:12 AM

Dec 2010
MrChamploo said:
fluffyboy said:

I like this.

As do I.
Jan 6, 2011 12:00 PM

Feb 2009
IMO, everyone should be in charge of their own lives. If someone wants to die, it's sad, but it's really their choice, not anyone else's. Because if someone really doesn't want to live, nothing can keep them alive in the end. What comes to it being selfish... human are selfish.

But I don't support it, by any means. Don't do it, you'll die. :S

In case of a incurable disease, suicide is completely OK.
wanna be the biggest dreamer✩
Jan 6, 2011 12:32 PM

Feb 2010
I witnessed a LIVE suicide i was shocked because i really thought he wouldn't do it and i wont post here because its not cool. We all thought he was a troll but we saw he wasnt joking his face was blue purple and then bam white...

its pretty stupid tho i mean why bother
Jan 6, 2011 12:46 PM

Sep 2009
I think it's very self-centered to call suicide cowardly. You'd be judging what others do by standards you set for yourself, and those standards might have no meaning to the other person. For example, I don't think living for the sake of being alive is a virtue at all. Some people want purpose in their lives, or at least the feeling that their life is going somewhere, or that they're not a curse to everyone around them. Sure you can say that things can get better, but what if they don't, and what if they get worse? What good is stubborn survival to someone who doesn't care about that ideal?

Talking to a number of suicidal people and changed many of my views about how others think, what they value, and what suicide means to them. Some people, whether they believe in an afterlife or reincarnation or not, just want to stop existing altogether. These don't care if things get better. They're just tired and want consciousness to end.

You just can't make assumptions about other people or expect them to prioritize things the way you do. What they want out of life - or death - may be different from what you want, and there's nothing selfish or cowardly about that. You can try talking to them to see if you can help them find a reason to live, but in the end only they know what's best for them, and judging them based on what you would do instead is misplaced.
Jan 6, 2011 2:15 PM

Jun 2009
Neiru2012 said:
Some people want purpose in their lives, or at least the feeling that their life is going somewhere, or that they're not a curse to everyone around them.
Do you really think they got those things once they were dead? I don't think that any suicides commit suicide in order to gain those things. Most people accept that purpose and feeling are things that are absent in death.

Neiru2012 said:
What good is stubborn survival to someone who doesn't care about that ideal?
Most people become sad when other people around them die. The bad is in causing emotional pain; the good in avoiding it.

Neiru2012 said:
These don't care if things get better.
Neiru2012 said:
They're just tired and want consciousness to end.
You are contradicting yourself: if they find unconsciousness to be better than consciousness, and the reason they pursue death is because they assume that it is analogous to unconsciousness, then they really do care if things get better.

Neiru2012 said:
You just can't make assumptions about other people or expect them to prioritize things the way you do. What they want out of life - or death - may be different from what you want, and there's nothing selfish or cowardly about that. You can try talking to them to see if you can help them find a reason to live, but in the end only they know what's best for them, and judging them based on what you would do instead is misplaced.
Can't argue against moral nihilism. Of course, your calling anyone who thinks that suicide is cowardly self-centered is just as misplaced by your own reasoning.
Jan 6, 2011 2:25 PM
Feb 2010
What are your views on suicide? - I dont really like it, of course no one would but I've lost some friends along the way on suicide and it's a frustarting hardship to deal with it when you realize your friend has just gone but yeah dont like it......

What do you feel is morally right?--morally right? probably not but who is here to judge on that?

Is this backed by religion or personal beliefs?-----personal beilefs like I said suicide is a touchy subject and seeing one of your friends got through before well it just hurts and saddens your heart.

Maybe a mixture?-------hmm possibly but not all on religion here so i woulnd't really know if it could be a mixture or not

Jan 6, 2011 2:57 PM

Sep 2009
@DrHouse: I have to wonder if you're just nitpicking for the hell of it or if you really didn't understand what I wrote.

Of course most people don't get purpose or direction if they kill themselves. These kill themselves because they're missing it from life and don't think life is worth living without it. And those that kill themselves because they think they are a burden or a literal curse on others get what they want out of death because they believe they'll stop being those things to others. Still others find power and/or purpose in killing themselves, or actively want to hurt those that make their life unbearable, or think they'll wind up in a better place. There are also many traditional cultures where suicide is a matter of pride, and they'd call those that can't kill themselves to preserve their honor "cowards." In these cultures it is not killing yourself that hurts your family, and would be considered "selfish."

The point is this is not some straightforward issue that anyone can pass blanket judgments upon. You can call it moral nihilism; I call it respecting a person's individual integrity. I don't think anyone has a right to decide for someone else or to judge them without being in their position. Not that I don't do the same on some other issues, much as I try not to, but my conversations with suicidal people and myself being personally affected by a friend's suicide has made it impossible for me to think I know better than they do on this particular issue, and I'm grateful for what they have taught me.

And no, lack of consciousness isn't about caring for things to get better, because you wouldn't be around to experience it. The ones I talked to that want an end to existence are beyond ideas that life can get better or worse. They're tired. They just want a dreamless sleep from which they don't ever wake up.
Neiru2013Jan 6, 2011 5:52 PM
Jan 6, 2011 5:44 PM

Feb 2010
Suicide is just the easy way out when people can't handle living anymore. I don't think other people, namely the justice system should have the right what we can and cannot do with our own lives (i.e.- charging for failed attempts at suicide) It's definitely not morally wrong because it is a person's own choice whether to end their life or not.

I'm looking at this from an objective point of view, without personal experience. Religion does not play any role in my thought process for this, simply because I'm not a religious person.
Jan 11, 2011 10:04 PM

Mar 2009
I remember when I had suicidal thoughts and moral confusion back in the day. I've also had a friend who backed out right underneath the noose... and my other friends who have talked to me about their suicidal thoughts... come to mention it, I almost feel like it's normal now for teenagers. Luckily, we don't have to kill ourselves after growing up kills our insidesssss~
Jan 12, 2011 12:31 PM

Jan 2011
a very good phrase for that
"If you have the courage to die then you also have the courage to live"
-Welcome to the N.H.K
Jan 12, 2011 4:27 PM

Nov 2010
I believe people can do it if they want, if they feel it's necessary and they want to who are we to stop them ?
I've recently been starting to get over my depression I've had for about a year and I've thought about it but it felt like I would be "quitting" and would bring shame to my name I guess but those are my views I'm sure others have a different opinion.
Jan 13, 2011 10:44 PM

Feb 2010
I'm not really in the mood for debating, so I'm just ganna say..
I do not like the idea of suicide.. Humans have so much potential to live for, just because you feel down or can't bear it any more, we need you, one person makes a difference, you know?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.