Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Aug 20, 2010 10:50 AM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
More Oxygen and job opportunitys for me. I think more emo people should commit suicide...
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Aug 20, 2010 2:29 PM

Aug 2007
Tachii said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
BaKaCoupLe said:

I have no love for people who do not cherish life...and no there is no afterlife..no matter how many fictional books make you want to think so

Prove you're God please.
Stop posting please.

It's a legitimate point. Only people who have died or are God/a God themselves would be able to state with a FACT that there is no afterlife.
Aug 20, 2010 8:55 PM

Oct 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

Prove you're God please.

Well, god is perfect, and so, thus cannot lie. I am god :]

Aug 20, 2010 9:48 PM

Apr 2010
Bloob said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Prove you're God please.

Perfect is subjective.
Aug 20, 2010 11:19 PM

Feb 2007
Tachii said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
BaKaCoupLe said:

I have no love for people who do not cherish life...and no there is no afterlife..no matter how many fictional books make you want to think so

Prove you're God please.
Stop posting please.

Stop posting please, Tachii.

Drunk_Samurai made a good point.
Aug 20, 2010 11:42 PM

Aug 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tachii said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
BaKaCoupLe said:

Prove you're God please.
Stop posting please.

It's a legitimate point. Only people who have died or are God/a God themselves would be able to state with a FACT that there is no afterlife.

earth to Samurai...we are the living and what we say is right(pretty much like the food chain)...if you can prove that there is an afterlife then...

BaKaCoupLe said:
go round your local corner shop, buy a packet of razor blades and /wrist....then you can haunt me if you like

and prove I was wrong
Aug 21, 2010 2:08 AM

Oct 2009
zharnotczar said:
Bloob said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Prove you're God please.

Perfect is subjective.

And we've all defined it.

Aug 21, 2010 2:46 AM
Dec 2009
it's their life & their loss..
I don't actually care unless I know that certain person.
Aug 21, 2010 3:23 AM

Jan 2009
TensaiShonen said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tachii said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
BaKaCoupLe said:

Prove you're God please.
Stop posting please.

earth to Samurai...we are the living and what we say is right(pretty much like the food chain)...if you can prove that there is an afterlife then...

BaKaCoupLe said:
go round your local corner shop, buy a packet of razor blades and /wrist....then you can haunt me if you like

and prove I was wrong

No way. This thread became religious.

I don't have the right to tell people what they can or cant do, but i do it regardless. I think life is universally the greatest thing that any of us were given which would be a horrible decision to give away and like many think, selfish. If there really was not a single person who cared it wouldn't be selfish. I'd say its the perfect opportunity to spend the time they would've given away to find people who'd care for them. There's my two cents. More than a few probably already said this within the two pages but oh well.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Aug 21, 2010 3:36 AM

Aug 2008
I think, if they want to comit suicied, then they do, But I still think it just a bit wrong. Like, obviously people care about them, it even affects people they don't even know. Like in my case, if anyone have seen the documentary on the Golden Gate Bridge (The doc is called 'The Bridge', that affected me for a while, like, in thoughts etc, and changed my views, but yeah, tis your own opinion =)
Aug 21, 2010 4:50 AM

Jun 2008
selective_yellow said:
Tachii said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
BaKaCoupLe said:

Prove you're God please.
Stop posting please.

I can't tell if you're serious.
Aug 21, 2010 5:36 PM
Jun 2008
careohx said:
Tachii said:
selective_yellow said:
Tachii said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
BaKaCoupLe said:

Prove you're God please.
Stop posting please.

I can't tell if you're serious.

there is afterlife. i experience it everyday when i wake up and it sucks being asleep is way too cool
I think that is called awaken from a tiring day of wanking and drinking...
Aug 21, 2010 5:48 PM

Jun 2008
Quotechains are such an eyesore.
Aug 21, 2010 6:09 PM
Nov 2008
Since heaven and hell are the by-products of a religious text, I don't see them having much legibility.

If I wrote a book and enough people came to follow it, they'd probably believe whatever I wrote to be fact as well. If the Bible were Revolt in the Stars (Hubbard) and Revolt in the Stars were the Bible, Christianity would probably be held with more controversy than Scientology (due to it being more recent).

Anyways, my views on suicide? I just see it as a way people who can't cope decide to get away from life. I mean, people who commit suicide probably haven't thought of the other alternatives before doing so, as most of the time it seems like it has been a rash decision.

It has no impact on my life though. I can't see myself committing suicide.
Aug 21, 2010 6:11 PM

Jul 2008
Somehow, I don't even consider the moral ramifications of suicide when I think about it.

Perhaps it's because I think about it from the perspective of psychology and mental health, but people who consider suicide are probably suffering from some kind of mental illness already, whether they realize it or not. Suicide is a desperate act, a very final one, and something has to be very wrong with you to consider it.

Thus, as a person who is considering suicide is not in perfect mental health, I don't believe I can judge it from a moral standpoint because the person was not of sound mind at all when considering this act. And this is also because it harms no one but the person themselves. If someone went into a fit of rage and murdered somebody I would judge that as bad even though the person in question was not sound of mind. A bit of a double standard, perhaps.

Suicide is not something I would consider, unless I was in some kind of ridiculously desperate situation, which chances are very low I will ever be in - like being stranded alone in some apocalyptic world or something. :p I would seek help first, because I'm aware that in most cases it's either a cry for help/very desperate last resort.

when it comes to the selfish argument, I do view it like that a little bit. I would think about the kind of impact I would have on the people that care about me. And the thing is, suicide is final. Once I do it, I can never go back. But, if I am alive, I still have the chance to make my life better. So I believe living is most important above all else.

I am agnostic. I don't really believe in hell, and I'm not sure how much I really believe in karma. Enough to try to be a good person according to my moral compass perhaps, but if I really wanted to die I suppose that would not stop me. What I am afraid of is the unknown. I don't know if an afterlife exists, but if I were to stop existing, I would not this to occur prematurely, and especially not by my own hand. I want to enjoy existence as long as possible.

And that's just about my thoughts of suicide.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 21, 2010 8:50 PM

Jul 2010
First of all, people should take neither suicide nor death lightly. Although sometimes downplayed in animanga, these really are serious topics.

Think about it: Death is final, irreversible. The end. People who commit (or want to commit) suicide are in so much pain that they want to cease to exist, to be nothing. Some think that it's the only escape to whatever pains they have in life. It's just plain sad to see people like this. I think that you should do everything in your power to convince those people that life is worth living.

My church believes that suicide is wrong and should not be done. However, I believe it is the person's choice. In many places, they take away the right to speak freely, to think freely, to live freely. Nobody should take away a person's right to die.

Although I think it's the wrong decision, it is ultimately that person's choice whether to live or to die.

I'm an orch dork, through and through. I'm an orch dork. How 'bout you?
Aug 21, 2010 9:03 PM

Oct 2009
88% of Americans believe that when you die you'll be saved by a giant sky fairy with six butterfly wings named Aizen, so pooh on you and your declaration of death being permanent erasure.

Aug 21, 2010 9:06 PM

Jul 2008
No pity. We all have been in situations where you feel that death is the only thing that can take you away from that one moment. The only way I wouldn't consider you a pussy for killing yourself is if you're a complete vegetable and can't move and need other help to even move. Otherwise you're a pussy.
Aug 21, 2010 9:32 PM

Feb 2010
its just very bad at least do something fulfilling before u end your life
Aug 21, 2010 9:45 PM

Jun 2009
Why does it matter whether or not there is an afterlife?
Aug 21, 2010 9:52 PM
Jan 2010
I don't think anyone deserves to have their life taken away unnaturally, by their hand or not
Aug 21, 2010 9:56 PM

Apr 2010
DrHouse said:
Some people believe suicide puts you in hell.
Aug 21, 2010 10:11 PM

Sep 2009
sucide is stupid .........why would you waste your life .....
Aug 21, 2010 10:19 PM

Jul 2008
zharnotczar said:
DrHouse said:

Furthermore, if there is an afterlife, suicide can be your instant gateway to that afterlife, which is surely better than living on earth and suffering, or at least to the minds of some people.

If they believed they ceased to exist, they might be more or less keen on the idea, depending on their situation.

Aug 21, 2010 10:36 PM

Aug 2010
I think sometimes depending on the situation, it is understandable that people choose to take their lives (like let's say someone who is terminally ill and knows that they will be dying in the next couple months) however, by no means does that justify their action.

I still believe it is a crime for them to take their lives and leave those who are left behind in grief. even if your time is pre-maturely decided and is limited, I believe it is right to live up to the very last moment to the fullest. it may sound idealistic, but this is my "truth"
disclaimer: i don't own any of the graphics/pictures.
Aug 21, 2010 10:41 PM

Apr 2010
appleaday said:
I still believe it is a crime for them to take their lives and leave those who are left behind in grief.
But it's not a crime for them to let you grieve in life?
Aug 22, 2010 1:01 AM

Apr 2009
I think a person should have the right to end their own life whenever they see fit. No person, religion or government should have powers of life and death over an individual, and in some ways suicide the the ultimate form of protest. I'm much older than most of the people on MAL, and I've seen my fair share of death over my life. I have very little family and no children. Chances are when I am too old or sick to work, I'll have a choice of ending my life living on the streets, or ending it with my own hands and with a certain amount of dignity.

I think I was about three or four when I first learned about suicide in the case of my aunt. About 14 when my very first childhood friend killed herself. And three years ago another friend took his life as well. Sometimes life is too overwhelming or too painful to deal with. Ending it is not selfish. What is selfish is expecting people to live in such a state because you can't deal with them passing.
Aug 22, 2010 1:12 AM

Aug 2010
BlackSnake56 said:
sucide is stupid .........why would you waste your life .....
SOme people see it as the only way out.I think people are forgetting the seriousness of suicide.But I agree why die alone It would be better to make a list if your enermys and crush the all even if it cost you your life,
Aug 22, 2010 2:37 AM

Aug 2010
zharnotczar said:
appleaday said:
I still believe it is a crime for them to take their lives and leave those who are left behind in grief.

mm. i think it's a delicate question but I think that if you commit suicide you're leaving them with no option but grieving. but at least if you live, you are given options and perhaps you can find another perspective so that you will not be grieving. but when you die, that's it.

if that makes sense..
disclaimer: i don't own any of the graphics/pictures.
Aug 22, 2010 3:22 AM

Mar 2007
I suicide all the time.

Its fun to jump off the Empire State building on GTA4

And if no one contacts you for over 10 years i think its safe to say you can suicide w/o anyone really noticing.
But if its just emo teens that are too stupid/lazy/attention whoring, then its just plain stupid.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Aug 22, 2010 3:24 AM

Nov 2009
People who think their life sucks are free to commit suicide as far as I'm concerned as long as they dont bother others with it. Also dont say youre gonna commit suicide if youre not gonna, because there's nothing more annoying than someone screaming hes gonna jump off a building if he doesnt have the guts to actually do it.
Aug 22, 2010 3:26 AM

Nov 2009
appleaday said:
zharnotczar said:
appleaday said:

mm. i think it's a delicate question but I think that if you commit suicide you're leaving them with no option but grieving. but at least if you live, you are given options and perhaps you can find another perspective so that you will not be grieving. but when you die, that's it.

if that makes sense..
What if the reason you wanna commit suicide is because there's no one to grieve for you in the first place?
Aug 22, 2010 3:41 AM
Nov 2008
Nika-senpai said:
zharnotczar said:
DrHouse said:

Furthermore, if there is an afterlife, suicide can be your instant gateway to that afterlife, which is surely better than living on earth and suffering, or at least to the minds of some people.

If they believed they ceased to exist, they might be more or less keen on the idea, depending on their situation.

In most religion, committing suicide doesn't gain you any happiness in the after life...unless you believe in reincarnation, in which you are reborn as an even lesser individual than you were before you killed yourself (or possibly not even as a human).
Aug 22, 2010 4:44 AM
Feb 2010
Whether people are entitled to their own choice of life or not, I have to say it is very selfish. To give up and do something like that only causes further suffering and pain for those that care about you. Some people have done it out of total depression of being alone, and even though I feel sorry for those people that go through that, I do think they should atleast put even a little effort in seeking help even if it does seem hard to find help, it really isn't. But I do really pity people that are put in that state as to consider commiting suicide.
Aug 22, 2010 1:01 PM

Oct 2009
Onibokusu said:
Nika-senpai said:
zharnotczar said:
DrHouse said:

In most religion, committing suicide doesn't gain you any happiness in the after life...unless you believe in reincarnation, in which you are reborn as an even lesser individual than you were before you killed yourself (or possibly not even as a human).

In most religions, if you except Martyrdom then suicide is okay and grants not only a promising after life but a more grandeur one at that.

Aug 22, 2010 2:15 PM

Jul 2008
Onibokusu said:
Nika-senpai said:
zharnotczar said:
DrHouse said:

This is true but sometimes people tell themselves "maybe god will forgive me, he understands what I'm going through and anything is better than this."

Some people may be past caring and want to escape their current circumstances.

Aug 22, 2010 2:56 PM
Nov 2008
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:
Nika-senpai said:
zharnotczar said:
DrHouse said:

In most religions, if you except Martyrdom then suicide is okay and grants not only a promising after life but a more grandeur one at that.

Suicide =/= Self sacrifice.
Aug 22, 2010 3:32 PM

Oct 2009
Onibokusu said:
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:
Nika-senpai said:
zharnotczar said:
DrHouse said:

That doesn't make it any less a form of suicide. That's one point I've been trying to make aware here; suicide isn't always the cause of depression. There are so many factors and variables to it, e.g Insanity, Curiosity, Sacrifice, Boredom, and obviously Depression.

Aug 22, 2010 3:59 PM

Jun 2009
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:

That doesn't make it any less a form of suicide. That's one point I've been trying to make aware here; suicide isn't always the cause of depression. There are so many factors and variables to it, e.g Insanity, Curiosity, Sacrifice, Boredom, and obviously Depression.
Yes, technically it is "suicide"(purposely doing something knowing that it will result in your death), but it's still completely different because the intention is not in ending ones own life.
Aug 22, 2010 6:47 PM
Nov 2008
DrHouse said:
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:

Yes, technically it is "suicide"(purposely doing something knowing that it will result in your death), but it's still completely different because the intention is not in ending ones own life.

Exactly.

If one commits the suicide that this thread is talking about, I don't consider it self sacrifice.
Aug 22, 2010 8:05 PM

Oct 2009
Onibokusu said:
DrHouse said:
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:

Exactly.

If one commits the suicide that this thread is talking about, I don't consider it self sacrifice.

The OP never stated he was talking about the disparaging form of suicide. The OP clearly said that he'd like some more views on what people think about suicide. I personally have, as well as someone else I know, thought about suicide for the thrill of it. Suicide caused by depression isn't necessarily more prevalent than other reasons for suicide, it's just commercialized a hell of a lot more.

Aug 22, 2010 8:51 PM
May 2010
Committing suicide is one of the most selfish acts a person can perform. Suicide is just an easy way out of a situation without actually dealing with it. The person does not get rid of the problem, yet passes this burden off to their family and friends, and also leaves them with the sadness with losing a loved one; which could have been completely evaded. I have no shame when I say I have zero respect for a person who commits suicide just to "cop-out" of a situation they can not handle. However, I have nothing but sympathy for any family member or friend who has lost a loved one through suicide.
Aug 22, 2010 8:54 PM

Jun 2009
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:
DrHouse said:
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:

Exactly.

The OP never stated he was talking about the disparaging form of suicide. The OP clearly said that he'd like some more views on what people think about suicide. I personally have, as well as someone else I know, thought about suicide for the thrill of it. Suicide caused by depression isn't necessarily more prevalent altruism is than other reasons for suicide, it's just commercialized a hell of a lot more.
Suicide to see what death is like falls under the type that is under the purview of this thread and we are also talking about that. We focus more on depression, though, because it is more prevalent (60% of successful suicides have clinical depression). Self sacrifice is different from any other type of suicide because the ultimate goal is not to be dead. If their goal could be accomplished without having to die, they would take it. Similarly, skydivers or other thrillseekers would not apply since they are not trying to die.
Aug 22, 2010 8:59 PM

Sep 2008
people who see suicide as an easy way out(outside of extremities) should just do it instead of contemplating on it...I bet only a small percentage would actually do it anyways while the rest who say they will were just in it for the attention
Aug 22, 2010 9:06 PM

Jul 2008
The subject of suicide is neither black or white.

People chose to live or die, all we can do is making sure that they understand the weight of what they are doing because yes it is selfish to die without understand it.
If someone aknowledge that he'll hurt some people by dying, that his death with cause problem for other but that he just can't stand it anymore then he's ready to go, I won't have anything to object, not that I'll be happy.

As for myself I always stood up with a strong belief that we have only one life, that even if this life is hell we only pass here once and that we should stay the longer we can. I don't beleive that there's something after death, that's why i'm going to cling to whatever amount of life is in me and that's why I never ever considered suicide even tough I had not a really happy life until now.
Aug 22, 2010 9:37 PM

Oct 2009
DrHouse said:
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:
DrHouse said:
Bloob said:
Onibokusu said:

Exactly.

The OP never stated he was talking about the disparaging form of suicide. The OP clearly said that he'd like some more views on what people think about suicide. I personally have, as well as someone else I know, thought about suicide for the thrill of it. Suicide caused by depression isn't necessarily more prevalent altruism is than other reasons for suicide, it's just commercialized a hell of a lot more.
Suicide to see what death is like falls under the type that is under the purview of this thread and we are also talking about that. We focus more on depression, though, because it is more prevalent (60% of successful suicides have clinical depression). Self sacrifice is different from any other type of suicide because the ultimate goal is not to be dead. If their goal could be accomplished without having to die, they would take it. Similarly, skydivers or other thrillseekers would not apply since they are not trying to die.

Skydiving or deep sea swimming is not a form of suicide because the person doesn't accept death there. If you sacrifice your self, you're accepting of your fate. You purposely chose death, even if you hadn't wanted it, and accepted your end. That is suicide (check the dictionary and all the professional literary texts on the definition). As for the statistics, I call bullshit on them. You can't diagnose the dead, and when people commit suicide, it's precisely because they didn't retrieve the help they needed, and thus weren't diagnosed. I back my previous statement up; people just don't realize that suicide isn't exclusively the result of depression.

Aug 22, 2010 9:47 PM

Feb 2010
Personally i think if someone thinks there life is totally utterly useless then thats their choice. BUT its really quite selfish and people should really think about how it would affect those around them.
Aug 22, 2010 10:50 PM
Nov 2008
Bloob said:
Skydiving or deep sea swimming is not a form of suicide because the person doesn't accept death there. If you sacrifice your self, you're accepting of your fate. You purposely chose death, even if you hadn't wanted it, and accepted your end. That is suicide (check the dictionary and all the professional literary texts on the definition). As for the statistics, I call bullshit on them. You can't diagnose the dead, and when people commit suicide, it's precisely because they didn't retrieve the help they needed, and thus weren't diagnosed. I back my previous statement up; people just don't realize that suicide isn't exclusively the result of depression.

I think you're missing what being a sacrifice truly is. In history, a sacrifice is usually dying for a reason other than them self. Self-sacrifice would be making the decision yourself, such as pushing someone out of the way of a moving vehicle or jumping into a strong current in order to save another.

Committing suicide as a form of escapism, or as a "thrill", from life is not a sacrifice.
Aug 22, 2010 11:47 PM

Jun 2009
Bloob said:
I'm not saying that altruistic suicide isn't technically suicide. I'm just saying that it's completely different. As for your calling my statistics bullshit, people can be diagnosed with depression and not have to take anything for it or see a psychiatrist. There's no "Depression Police" to go around making sure you take your medication. Besides, the medication doesn't always work for everyone and is rarely 100% effective. I'd certainly trust my statistics over your "logic".
DrHouseAug 22, 2010 11:58 PM
Aug 23, 2010 12:02 AM

Aug 2008
Suicide is for cowards who run away from life... I have no respect for people who commit suicide.

My grandmother died of cancer and she lived her life fully despite being in constant pain. Even on her death bed she fought to stay alive and be with the people around her.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.