Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 11, 2010 5:21 PM

Apr 2009
I was wondering if there has been any word about an anime adaptation.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2010 5:44 PM
Sep 2007
I hope not, its to awesome to be made into a anime, also not enough manga, they would just fuck it up maybe 10 years from now when its over. Also this kind of story's just don't get ratings in japan anymore, if its note cute or with sexy girls in it, no chance at all.
Hi
Aug 26, 2010 5:42 PM

May 2008
Heh, I knew the first reply would be "I hope not" without ever opening the topic. Anyway, I hope so - but only late into the manga's story when it's close to being over.
fmiu
Aug 28, 2010 12:02 AM

May 2009
Hawaiian420 said:
I hope not, its to awesome to be made into a anime, also not enough manga, they would just fuck it up maybe 10 years from now when its over. Also this kind of story's just don't get ratings in japan anymore, if its note cute or with sexy girls in it, no chance at all.

This....

...rNr...
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Sep 2, 2010 9:59 AM

Sep 2008
OR maybe they could break it into story arcs or seasons. Like a seperate season for the whole of prologue, and wait till the next arc finishes before working on that adaption. But the important part is to put the project in good hands. There are too many screwed upadaptions of excellent mangas. It would be sad to see Vinland saga desecrated like, say, Planetes.
Oh and if the action is tweaked a bit with a shinchiro watanabe or Ando Masahiro touch, that would be awesome
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 29, 2010 2:52 PM

May 2009
I hope not... especially after what they have done to Planetes, I would hate to see another Makoto Yukimura Masterpiece reputation been teared apart by the anime adaptation...
Nov 29, 2010 2:56 PM

Apr 2009
peroxid said:
I hope not... especially after what they have done to Planetes, I would hate to see another Makoto Yukimura Masterpiece reputation been teared apart by the anime adaptation...
What was wrong with Planetes? I loved that anime... and you know what, you can always choose not to watch it...
Nov 29, 2010 4:33 PM

May 2009
Alas86 said:
What was wrong with Planetes? I loved that anime... and you know what, you can always choose not to watch it...

I actually know people who never read the manga because of the anime (until I convinced them that the manga is much better). Because, in reality the anime is nothing like the manga, especially the first half. I still can't believe that they put a filler like space ninjas, and left so much of the manga out...
Nov 30, 2010 4:15 AM

Apr 2009
peroxid said:
I actually know people who never read the manga because of the anime (until I convinced them that the manga is much better). Because, in reality the anime is nothing like the manga, especially the first half. I still can't believe that they put a filler like space ninjas, and left so much of the manga out...
There are people who don't read manga... and the space ninjas were cool... personally I don't care all that much if an anime adaptation has differences from the manga, and generally the source, as long as it remains good... and I don't see why I should care either...
Alas86Nov 30, 2010 4:23 AM
Dec 1, 2010 1:28 PM

Nov 2007
I think if the people who adapted Berserk into an anime were to do Vinland Saga I'd watch it
Dec 2, 2010 4:51 AM

Sep 2008
I want toshiro masuda to do the music...

oh and on the planetes adaption. The manga was more of a seinen, but the anime turned it into a shounen-sort of a story. Personally I didn't like the change as a fan of the manga, which I think of as more of a piece of art. But I guess there are people who saw the anime first and liked it more.
eyerokDec 2, 2010 4:57 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 2, 2010 12:36 PM

May 2009
koreye said:
oh and on the planetes adaption. The manga was more of a seinen, but the anime turned it into a shounen-sort of a story.

^This.

And this is what I fear could happen to an adaptation of Vinland Saga. Personally I would enjoy more an OVA or even movie adaptation, because in those two mediums directors have usually more freedom, and aren't forced to make an fan-service show...
Dec 4, 2010 3:38 AM

Jul 2007
peroxid said:
koreye said:
oh and on the planetes adaption. The manga was more of a seinen, but the anime turned it into a shounen-sort of a story.

^This.

And this is what I fear could happen to an adaptation of Vinland Saga. Personally I would enjoy more an OVA or even movie adaptation, because in those two mediums directors have usually more freedom, and aren't forced to make an fan-service show...

If a correct animation studio chose to adapt this masterpiece, it could turn out great, as long as they do not try to kiddie-iffy it.

I for sure would love to see the epicness of vinland saga as long, centuries spanning set of hundreds of OVAs, ala legend of galactic heroes.
Dec 19, 2010 8:08 PM
Oct 2008
Madhouse could do it. Madhouse can do anything. I'd hope they'd wait, say, a few years, though, so that the manga has time to move farther ahead. That said, they could probably work out 22-ish solid episodes just from the prologue arc, give it enough of a conclusion that it can stand on its own but leave it open say that they could continue.
Sep 21, 2011 11:42 AM
Jul 2011
Hope not.Look at what they did to Gantz.
Sep 21, 2011 12:00 PM

May 2011
Fai said:
If a correct animation studio chose to adapt this masterpiece, it could turn out great, as long as they do not try to kiddie-iffy it.

Shinbou Akiyuki. 8]
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Sep 21, 2011 12:14 PM
Jul 2010
Raitei_Dono said:
Hope not.Look at what they did to Gantz.

This. I hope Bones would make it. I mean, it's bones. :P

But I rather wouldnt like it. High chance of sotry being left out etc etc.
Sep 21, 2011 6:52 PM

Apr 2009
I really don't understand this "hope not" attitude, if you don't like it, just stick to your manga and don't watch it... I don't see why you would want to deny others that might like it the option of watching it just because you don't like the idea... it shouldn't affect you.
Sep 22, 2011 1:05 AM
Jul 2011
Alas86 said:
I really don't understand this "hope not" attitude, if you don't like it, just stick to your manga and don't watch it.

If the anime turns out to be bad people might turn away from the manga.

Alas86 said:
I don't see why you would want to deny others that might like it the option of watching it just because you don't like the idea... it shouldn't affect you.

We are only giving our opinion which won't be taken into consideration if they do or do not decide to make it into a anime.
Sep 22, 2011 1:46 AM

Apr 2009
Raitei_Dono said:
That doesn't make much sense, if you mean people already reading the manga might stop then I can't but ask why? They like the manga what has the anime to do with it?

Raitei_Dono said:
We are only giving our opinion which won't be taken into consideration if they do or do not decide to make it into a anime.
I know, but all this uncalled for negativity really isn't so nice.
Sep 22, 2011 2:09 AM
Jul 2011
Alas86 said:
Raitei_Dono said:
That doesn't make much sense, if you mean people already reading the manga might stop then I can't but ask why? They like the manga what has the anime to do with it?

No I am talking about people who will only watch anime.Many people watch anime first to get a feel of the story and if they like what they see they go on to the manga.
Sep 22, 2011 2:35 AM

Apr 2009
Raitei_Dono said:
No I am talking about people who will only watch anime.Many people watch anime first to get a feel of the story and if they like what they see they go on to the manga.
Even more then... these are people the anime would bring along, if it doesn't then no gain, no loss. What difference does it make to the ones who are already fans of the manga?
Oct 20, 2011 8:49 PM

Oct 2008
Alas86 said:
Raitei_Dono said:

because if the anime adaptation failed (which, if it was made before the manga finished (ie. now), it would most likely fail), negative publicity around an anime adaptation would lead back to the manga, and prevent potential future readers from bothering with the manga, as well as dissuading current readers (who switched to the anime) from continuing on with the manga.

That said I'd LOVE this to get an adaptation when it finishes (I'm not up-to-date with it, but I'm guessing that's years away). I can only really imagine Madhouse doing it though...I think stories like VS are exactly the kind Madhouse dominate.
Jan 27, 2012 8:24 AM

Jul 2009
I hope that they will do the anime. Thanks to this increase the chance that Viz will licensed manga in America and I will be able to buy manga in english :-)
I have hope the anime will be good too.
Feb 2, 2012 1:35 PM

Sep 2008
will this be made into an amen?
Jan 4, 2013 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
The only way I can see Vinland being turned into an anime is that they follow the Claymore route.

The prologue will be the entire series (probably 24-26 episodes), and the ending is tweaked to give it closure with no room for a sequel. Like, instead of attacking Canute and getting sentenced to slavery, which will lead to the farm arc, Thorfinn will only realize that he has strayed from the path of true warrior that his father wanted him to follow. A few years will pass and the anime ends with a grown-up Thorfinn sailing to Vinland with bits of Canute turning into a good king who rules over England, Denmark and Norway.

That's the only way I see it happening. With a long, monthly series like Vinland, I just can't see any studio wanting to animate any part of it other than the completed prologue.
removed-userJan 4, 2013 3:47 AM
Jan 12, 2013 6:15 PM

Feb 2008
They might end it like they did Btooom! Since there aren't enough chapters remaining to make more of an anime, they just sort of ended it with there being a chance of continuation later on.

Jan 29, 2013 5:22 AM
Feb 2012
I want an anime but I want one done RIGHT.

I'm willing to wait until AFTER the series is over for that.
Feb 24, 2013 6:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'd love an anime if they stick close to the manga and not try to get too creative with moe elements or sidekick characters. I think they could follow the story up until the death of you know who and then wait until the manga is over to do the next part.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 24, 2013 10:16 AM

Jul 2011
Hawaiian420 said:
Also this kind of story's just don't get ratings in japan anymore, if its note cute or with sexy girls in it, no chance at all.

Bullshit. Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers) doesnt have that kinda stuff and is populair.
May 20, 2013 7:41 PM

Apr 2011
They could technically make an anime and end it before the farmland saga arc and wait till there are more material...
May 21, 2013 11:59 PM

May 2013
I don't think this would be animated... I think this is not get popularity in japan so far..
May 22, 2013 3:23 AM

Apr 2011
In that case it should be Makoto Yukimura himself that directs it, otherwise I'm against it.
May 22, 2013 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
marsuki007 said:
I don't think this would be animated... I think this is not get popularity in japan so far..

Amazon.jp would disagree with you. Whenever a new volume of Vinland Saga is out, it's marked as "人気=ninki=popular" product, which is an indication it sells pretty well in there.
May 29, 2013 8:03 PM
Jun 2009
prosit said:
tarantino should make a movie of it

Watch it guys, we've got a comedian here.
May 30, 2013 7:08 AM

Apr 2009
Pfft, Tarantino would just turn it into another of his vague violent comedies, while the theme of this manga is lost completely.
Haven't seen all of Tarantino's works, but especially by Kill Bill I was not impressed. I think he gets more credit than he deserves.

Also, to be on topic, I agree with the majority: leave it at the manga, because an anime adaption is usually something that ruins it. Take Zetman for example. I was all hyped up for it, and I dropped the thing. What a disgrace.

Jun 2, 2013 10:27 PM

Jan 2010
Vikopaulum said:
Pfft, Tarantino would just turn it into another of his vague violent comedies, while the theme of this manga is lost completely.
Haven't seen all of Tarantino's works, but especially by Kill Bill I was not impressed. I think he gets more credit than he deserves.

Also, to be on topic, I agree with the majority: leave it at the manga, because an anime adaption is usually something that ruins it. Take Zetman for example. I was all hyped up for it, and I dropped the thing. What a disgrace.

I don't get this kind of thinking. If the anime sucks, the Manga still holds its quality, so what is there to lose? I personally do not give a damn if a manga I love has been made into a bad anime and the manga loses popularity because of it. Because I have not written that damn manga and all I care about is keeping myself entertained.
Nov 18, 2013 8:53 AM
Jul 2018
A studio like madhouse can pull it off....or IG can do a decent job provided no fillers are introduced and the story is followed to the page
Dec 14, 2013 1:03 AM

Sep 2013
jonnychan said:
Vikopaulum said:

I don't get this kind of thinking. If the anime sucks, the Manga still holds its quality, so what is there to lose? I personally do not give a damn if a manga I love has been made into a bad anime and the manga loses popularity because of it. Because I have not written that damn manga and all I care about is keeping myself entertained.

This. I don't understand how can bad anime make you not want to continue the manga. I would love to see this show in moving image, as I've been itching to start reading this anyways. The theme interests me as I live in the area where this is situationed in.
Dec 23, 2013 3:26 PM
Dec 23, 2013 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
If it's an anime adaption, then this is the best time, since both the prologue and Farmland Saga arc are finished. Though, I don't know whether the story would benefit from 24 episodes or 50.

removed-userDec 23, 2013 8:44 PM
Dec 25, 2013 1:18 AM

Apr 2012
I'd say just adapt the prologue(24 or 25 episodes) so new fans will feel trolled the fact that it's a 2-cour series but nothing more than a prologue.

Nah, just kidding. But yeah that could work but i'm skeptical for the prologue and both the farmland saga to only have 25 or 26 episodes.
Dec 29, 2013 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
I hope so. However, may Thor come down from Asgard and smite every japanese "seiyuu" with the mjolnir if they dub this in Japanese.

This is a series that has to be made in either the English (British or Scandinavian English accents), Danish. German, Norwegian, Swedish, etc. language.
MajinSagaDec 29, 2013 10:54 AM
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 30, 2013 7:56 PM

Apr 2012
^Words of wisdom.
Dec 30, 2013 8:06 PM

Dec 2012
MajinSaga said:
I hope so. However, may Thor come down from Asgard and smite every japanese "seiyuu" with the mjolnir if they dub this in Japanese.

This is a series that has to be made in either the English (British or Scandinavian English accents), Danish. German, Norwegian, Swedish, etc. language.

Nope. Japanese VAs will fit more.
Jan 1, 2014 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
Putting aside the dub vs sub debate, I think it would be pretty nice watchig this dubbed in Norweigian, Danish or whatever language the vikings spoke.

Some years ago I watched Comet in Moominland in Finnish and it was a pretty nice experience hearing the characters speak the language of the country they originated from.
Jan 1, 2014 4:32 AM

Dec 2012
MajinSaga said:

You're from the sudan. You're opinion on anything Nordic or Germanic culture is invalid.

lmao, puny girly asian men imitating Viking warriors.

You sure spend a lot of time to be this one dimensional shit posting hypocritical racist redneck. I think the most hilarious thing is your flawed logic.

I didn't know voice actors are chosen by how they look and I didn't know that models are in reality voice actors and that one voice actor you posted an image off will be guaranteed to have a role in an unconfirmed anime adaption. Cut your ignorant bullshit, English voice actors don't even fit your beloved Viking Warriors image, in terms of sound or looks and dub companies don't have money to hire voice actors that will fit.

Why the hell would the anime studio who decides to adapt this manga, go out of their way to hire foreign voice actors? that is the responsibility of the foreign dub companies.
tsudecimoJan 1, 2014 4:36 AM
Jan 1, 2014 8:18 PM

Apr 2012
MajinSaga said:
snip 49

Dat racism. I agreed with you that it would definitely better if the dub have Norweigian or Danish accents but cut out the racism. This is a japanese manga made by a japanese dude for the japanese people so of course we're getting a japanese dub first.

If somehow this gets popular, this will definitely gets a dub. Some actors pull off the accents pretty well in Hellsing and some actors didn't even originally have the accent they have on Game of Thrones and they pull it off really well. So i'm gonna stay optimistic that the dub will have the accents but if it doesn't then it's cool. At least we got a dub.

Then again it's not even confirmed yet if the announcement is an anime adaptation.
Jan 22, 2014 8:53 AM
Dec 2012
Neizaru said:
If it were done properly, that'd be great. But just thinking about the injustice done to Berserk makes me rather pessimistic.

Berserk was a perfectly fine anime.
Jan 22, 2014 9:20 AM
Dec 2012
Hayayandere said:
The only way I can see Vinland being turned into an anime is that they follow the Claymore route.

The prologue will be the entire series (probably 24-26 episodes), and the ending is tweaked to give it closure with no room for a sequel. Like, instead of attacking Canute and getting sentenced to slavery, which will lead to the farm arc, Thorfinn will only realize that he has strayed from the path of true warrior that his father wanted him to follow. A few years will pass and the anime ends with a grown-up Thorfinn sailing to Vinland with bits of Canute turning into a good king who rules over England, Denmark and Norway.

That's the only way I see it happening. With a long, monthly series like Vinland, I just can't see any studio wanting to animate any part of it other than the completed prologue.
Well that didn't work very well for Claymore. The ending was still rubbish.

They could just animate the prologue and then the farmland saga a year or so after that. Then the rest as it's gradually released. Ideally an OVA format should be adapted.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Today, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.