Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 9, 2010 12:56 AM

I find it a little depressing that there are so many empty reassurances here. No, there isn't a guarantee that anyone will accept you, or even treat you nicely. People can be cynical assholes, and you being all "nice" and "focused" won't mean anything to those types of people. What people should be saying is try your best to give off a good impression and put your mind to the books to ensure a good future. Not that you'll be successful no matter what, and that people WILL be nice to you, like someone I'm quoting below.

Sucrose said:
I live in Australia but I doubt it's any different.
Anyways, don't go being something your not - you'll just look even weirder.
Focus on your studies. You'll meet alot of good people just studying - trust me. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Some you'd never meet if you just turned into some prick who just wanted to hang with the in crowd. It's only a few years in school you got to nail down anyway. If I were you I'd rather spend 3 years of my life studying my brains out than doing some shit job for the next 45 years because I was a lazy fuck as a kid.
Don't go hanging with weird people - I used to hang with junkies, I wish I was hanging with nerds earlier. It's just not worth it. You can make friends fine without having to be something your not, and you tend to get better friends doing stuff your comfortable with.
Relationships - great. Just don't go blowing a lot of cash. Don't go find a materialistic partner who demands shit. LOL. Don't go dating people that you half like or pity, it'll make you look like a dirty fuck to everyone around you and you'll never be happy at all.

Anyways, that's all I got.

I'm going to be honest, you reminded me a lot of Kushina Uzumaki making that speech to baby Naruto. Haha

Aug 9, 2010 1:06 AM

High school is nothing to be feared of, just make sure you get good grades.

Aug 9, 2010 1:20 AM

Those are empty words Alex. Your high school years may have been fine, but that doesn't account for everyone else.

Aug 9, 2010 1:37 AM

Well since I joined marching band and had camp for the week before school, I was familiar with a group of people and I didn't have trouble finding friends.

Don't be afraid of meeting new people on the first day of school. Find some people from other schools in your classes and you'll have a blast.

Aug 9, 2010 1:59 AM

windy said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
Confucius said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
You know all that advice about not doing drugs and having unprotected sex with classmates? That's how you become a loner.

Lol
It's not funny. There was only one guy at my school who got along with everyone without doing drugs or having random sex with people, but that was only because he was the smartest guy/only Chinese guy in school.
Looks like someone needs to be banned again.
plisnoban>:

Aug 9, 2010 2:49 AM

Lucjan said:
Those are empty words Alex. Your high school years may have been fine, but that doesn't account for everyone else.
Sadly this is true. I had a horrendous high school experience. However, that doesn't mean new people like OP should give up all hope from the get-go. OP: Just be yourself and if people don't like that, they're not worth your time. I had trouble understanding this because I felt huge pressure to fit in, and I tried to force myself to be someone I was not to do so.
Looking back on it, I realized that there is so much after high school. If you end up not enjoying it, you still have more than half of your life to look forward to after it's over. High school is glamorized as the "best time of your life," but it's really just a small chapter.

About the shootings at your school: I'm glad that the police are at your school often. Although there's nothing you can do personally to prevent the shootings, the best you can do for your sake is to not think about them and trust the police who are at your school. I've learned the best way to deal with something you can't affect is to not dwell on it as that only makes the problem seem worse.

Aug 9, 2010 3:12 AM
What is better get shooted in school where will be soo many witnesses, or get stabbed while going to shop, so many dangerous places, you have to get used to it.

Aug 9, 2010 3:17 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

I had plenty of friends in High school before I even arrived so I avoided getting the freshman punishments a lot of people were subjected to and the majority of my days in high school were somewhat bliss. I only had 3 fights total throughout my whole 4 years.

Aug 9, 2010 5:41 AM

Aww. Fresh meat.

In regards to upperclassmen bothering you, let them. Unless things get violent/abusive/emotionally scarring, suck it up. Because really, in a year you'll be able to torture the freshmen too. If you're truly worried about being shot in the face, definitely try to get a senior or two as friends.

I'm not going to tell you it'll be the best years of your life. That will set up false expectations and you'll probably become really depressed at some point because you'll think your glory days are over or something. Here's a fact: High school is not the real world. It's like this little mini-verse you'll be trapped in for a bit. Which is fine, make some memories. Just don't be retarded. If you're one of those teens that drinks/does drugs (freshman shouldn't be allowed to do that, I swear they got smaller every year...where does the alcohol go!?) be smart about it. That's a contradiction, but do it anyway.

Also, I'm going to be the nerd and say, try to keep your grades up. Your school might not be as strict as mine was, but there's nothing less fun then being told, "You're too stupid to walk at graduation or go to prom, oh and you'll probably have to go to summer school!" Just don't get to that point, and it definitely won't hurt to have a good record behind you.

Aug 9, 2010 5:53 AM

If you're going to get shot at school, do it in a way that'll make insurance claims over the school even better. Blame it on the school, and get rich quick ;]

Aug 9, 2010 5:57 AM

Statistically there isn't any real need to worry, you're more likely to get killed outside of school than in it. See, makes you feel much better doesn't it?

And you'll have to meet to new friends and other people eventually.

Aug 9, 2010 5:59 AM

Statistically? There's too many variables. You probably won't be shot in a private school, but a in an inner city school, the chances of being shot could be enormous.

Aug 9, 2010 6:54 AM
Shilka said:
Statistically there isn't any real need to worry, you're more likely to get killed outside of school than in it. See, makes you feel much better doesn't it?

And you'll have to meet to new friends and other people eventually.

xD

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"

Aug 9, 2010 7:26 AM

windy said:
About the shootings at your school: I'm glad that the police are at your school often. Although there's nothing you can do personally to prevent the shootings, the best you can do for your sake is to not think about them and trust the police who are at your school. I've learned the best way to deal with something you can't affect is to not dwell on it as that only makes the problem seem worse.

What? Cops at the school often is freaky. My school had friendly cops that came by once in a while. If if the cops are there all the time, then that is just bullshit. Don't like the idea of shitty American inner city schools with metal detectors and cops and strict rules. I think fearing for your life is just stupid.

also, I AM STILL SHOCKED THAT MAL IS THIS YOUNG. I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS A TOPIC ABOUT GOING INTO HS.
Modified by SY_IS_DEAD_IRL, Aug 9, 2010 3:40 PM

Aug 9, 2010 7:44 AM

...I never said that.

Aug 9, 2010 8:07 AM

I thought most of people would love to graduate from middle school and turn into high-schooler. Because you can have a fresh new start, you can change your reputation and so on, because first impressions are really important. Unlike in middle school, when you visit middle school for first time, you're around 6-7 years old, thus you actually can not really "control" yourself.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Aug 9, 2010 2:12 PM

Thanks for the advice and stuff guys.
@Hemp most of my friends aren't going to the same high school as me cuz their parents say its to dangerous =/ but my mom doesn't drive and theres really no other really close school. =(
@selective_yellow lol yeah i always knew i was one of the youngest on MAL x) only joined this site cuz the one i went on all the time before got shut down =[ ( www.iconator.com )

Aug 9, 2010 3:27 PM

Wouldn't it be ideal for your mom to learn how to drive or find some other mode of transportation (i.e taking a bus) for the safety of your well being?

Aug 9, 2010 3:32 PM

xxRitsukaxx said:
Okay so Im going to be graduating middle school this year. LoL yeah i know im pretty young to be on this site. But anyways i really don't wanna graduate cuz i don't wanna go to high school. I've been with the same friends in the same schools for a while now and i don't wanna leave them =( Also the high school i have to go to really sucks =/ u have to where this really stupid uniform and there's police everywhere because of the shootings. Yeah people have been shot there...
So yeah im super uber scared to go and just want some advice about high school and what to do and whatever.

kk thanks =)

Fuck your middle school friends. Chances are you won't ever see them again.

1) If your click is wack, ditch 'em. Took me my junior year to realize that.

2) Don't seek popularity. I'm assuming you're a girl, so if you're friendly that's all it takes. Some bitches will hate you for being polite and shit, but fuck 'em.

3) Your freshman year defines your grades for all of high school! Trust me, if I'd payed attention my freshman year, I wouldn't be looking for what credits I need to graduate.

That's all I got.

Aug 9, 2010 3:35 PM

I'm going to high school too this year so I feel your pain x(

Aug 9, 2010 3:35 PM

llxwarbirdxll said:
Confucius said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
You know all that advice about not doing drugs and having unprotected sex with classmates? That's how you become a loner.

Lol
It's not funny. There was only one guy at my school who got along with everyone without doing drugs or having random sex with people, but that was only because he was the smartest guy/only Chinese guy in school.

Did you mean loser instead of loner?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Aug 9, 2010 3:40 PM

The cops at my school are actually quite friendly to the gangsters. After school the kids hang out with the cops and joke around with them. It scares the hell out of me because if I get jumped, who do I go to?

And don't use drugs. For the love of god don't. I can't tell you how many guys and girls I know that were smart as all hell (one of 'em was heading to Berkeley) that became addicted and now have classes lower than mine. If you're going to do drugs, don't go beyond weed. Don't even think about coke.

Llxwar is kinda right. If you're a minority you're automatically cool. In a school full of Mexicans, the black guys are automatically cool.

I dunno.... I skipped all of high school, went directly to university after Jr. High... :\

Although my Jr. High was pretty rough, I think the high school I woulda gone to would have been much better.... there was alot of gang violence at my jr high, I even got stabbed once when I got on the bad side of the wrong group, and got in several fights.... also had a gun pulled on me (but the guy was more using it to intimidate, and I broke his trigger finger using the gun before he could fire) all in all, I absolutely hated Jr. High.
Modified by Omnimalevolent1, Aug 9, 2010 3:43 PM

Lucjan said:
...I never said that.

I did not quote you even, so I have no idea how that happened.

Aug 9, 2010 3:45 PM

Unless you live in the Ghetto and going to a ghetto school, you have nothing to worry about, I survived HS so can you. If you are going to a ghetto HS find hire some bodyguards or get in good with a strong classmate or two.

Aug 9, 2010 3:45 PM

ArtRodriguez said:
The cops at my school are actually quite friendly to the gangsters. After school the kids hang out with the cops and joke around with them. It scares the hell out of me because if I get jumped, who do I go to?

And don't use drugs. For the love of god don't. I can't tell you how many guys and girls I know that were smart as all hell (one of 'em was heading to Berkeley) that became addicted and now have classes lower than mine. If you're going to do drugs, don't go beyond weed. Don't even think about coke.

Llxwar is kinda right. If you're a minority you're automatically cool. In a school full of Mexicans, the black guys are automatically cool.

haha im never gonna do drugs!! its nasty and im not ready to die yet x)

btw thanks for the advice guys =)

Aug 9, 2010 3:46 PM

There's only one cop at my school and all he does is stand there looking like a monotonous douche. The only crime that happens where I am is drug usage. Basically, I go to an extremely peaceful school where everyone's baked out of their mind (my school is actually notorious in its province for its drug usage). I can't say I don't mind that X]

Aug 9, 2010 4:05 PM

selective_yellow said:
windy said:

What? Cops at the school often is freaky. My school had friendly cops that came by once in a while. If if the cops are there all the time, then that is just bullshit. Don't like the idea of shitty American inner city schools with metal detectors and cops and strict rules. I think fearing for your life is just stupid.

also, I AM STILL SHOCKED THAT MAL IS THIS YOUNG. I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS A TOPIC ABOUT GOING INTO HS.
My school never had cops once so I don't know what it's actually like. Just saying how I might feel if it happened to me. I'm a moralfag so having cops around would probably make me feel safer.

And I was in 10th grade when I joined. I thought that was young. Wow that feels like it was forever ago...

Aug 9, 2010 4:22 PM
Lucjan said:
Statistically? There's too many variables. You probably won't be shot in a private school, but a in an inner city school, the chances of being shot could be enormous.

That's a great help, you just scared the kid..

Ontopic : Yes be afraid, someone might be under your bed already with AK-47 or other gun and shoot you..

Aug 9, 2010 4:28 PM

Lightyear8684 said:
Lucjan said:

Ontopic : Yes be afraid, someone might be under your bed already with AK-47 or other gun and shoot you..

1st i am not a kid D:<
2nd hahaha that made me lol

Aug 9, 2010 4:29 PM

Lightyear8684 said:

Notice how I said could?

xxRitsukaxx said:

You're 13, you're a kid.

Aug 9, 2010 4:32 PM

You know, I used to feel the same when I graduated from middle school. I was sad about leaving old friends behind and nervous of not making any new friends in high school but when I actually started my first year in high school all those fears were blown away.

First day was awesome (if yet a bit awkward). They have this tradition of "letting the freshmen get along" by playing games the the upper-classmen makes up. Not sure if you have that but it included all sorts of effed up games (like popping a balloon by humping the girls, boy and girl getting their hands tied and are forced to pop a water balloon which is placed in awkward places (for example on a girl's chest) with whatever way they can think of, the rest of the games were also pretty much like that but I'll leave that to your imagination^^) but it was really fun.

After that I made friends with the whole class in just a week or so. And I still have lots of time to see my old friends so that's not a problem either.

I can easily say that the high-school days have been the most fun in my life. I am pretty sad to only have one year of it left :(

Aug 9, 2010 4:38 PM

xxRitsukaxx said:

You're 13, you're a kid.

actually legally when u turn 13 ur a teen =/

Aug 9, 2010 4:49 PM

I just finished freshman year in high school and it was probably one the best years of my life. Well..I'm only 14, but it's the best year in my life so far.

Just be yourself, it might be the most over said phrases here but really, that's all you need to do. Oh and try not to start too much drama, especially since you're apparently going into a high school where people shoot each other. I never had that problem since my school has a high percentage of nerds. :|
Join a club or sport or something and you'll have a lot of fun especially since freshman year is easy shit :D

Aug 9, 2010 4:52 PM

You'll get used to the uniform. I wore one for 4 years and didn't like the idea at first, but it's good to wake up late because you already know what you'll be wearing that day. :)

Aug 9, 2010 4:58 PM

Fear of high school? Don't worry not only high schools are the home of half the students who smoke weed, it's also the home of half the teachers whose accents you can barely understand. Well I guess that's only if you live in New York City where apparently their motto is diversity is the key!

No seriously don't be scared of High Schools. You'll meet new problems here and there but that's part of growing up. Growing up means taking new challenges and experiencing it. Don't worry you'll get passed it.

Aug 9, 2010 5:20 PM

I graduated from Middle School aswell.
Im rlly scared of meeting new ppl cuz its kinda hard for me to communicate with new ppl.
Im rlly happy that my dear classmate and friend will be in the same school but sadly she will be in the other class. :(
Tho another classmate will be in ma new class but i werent friend or anything. He was just a classmate.

Aug 9, 2010 5:24 PM

rajand said:
I graduated from Middle School aswell.
Im rlly scared of meeting new ppl cuz its kinda hard for me to communicate with new ppl.
Im rlly happy that my dear classmate and friend will be in the same school but sadly she will be in the other class. :(
Tho another classmate will be in ma new class but i werent friend or anything. He was just a classmate.

Wait, you're the same age as me. How are you barely graduating from middle school...?

Aug 9, 2010 5:51 PM

I went to a Canadian high school with uniforms, too. (No cops though, just a fat, old, waddly commissionaire. God, if someone had a gun, he wouldn't take two steps without 10 people being shot, lol.)

Study a lot, join clubs or sports teams, the band or choir, etc. to find people with similar interests. Be open and friendly and making friends will happen naturally.

Uniforms aren't bad at all once you get used to them, either. They're easy and they save you quite a bit of money when your parents are like mine and buy me very little new clothes while you have the uniform. XD

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 9, 2010 6:00 PM

High school is easy.

Study in advance for exams.

Hang out with a good group of people.

Have fun at the same time.

Oh, but the hallways are crowded. Be sure to push and shove <3

Thanks to Shiro-chan for scripting! ♥

Aug 9, 2010 6:46 PM

xxRitsukaxx said:

There's no legal label for teenagers. You reach the age of majority (becoming an adult and not a minor) depending on what region you reside in. Ontario's legal age of majority is 18.

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/child-rights/canada.php

Aug 9, 2010 6:57 PM

Lucjan said:
xxRitsukaxx said:

There's no legal label for teenagers. You reach the age of majority (becoming an adult and not a minor) depending on what region you reside in. Ontario's legal age of majority is 18.

[url=http://www.loc.gov/law/help/child-rights/canada.php]http://www.loc.gov/law/help/child-rights/canada.php
whoa way to get all anal about this man not cool

Aug 9, 2010 7:13 PM

lol, I take the internet very serious :O
But really, she was just wrong. I was only correcting her.

Aug 10, 2010 1:19 PM

):< weelll how come everyone's always like when u turn 13 ur not a kid anymore?? and u have to start using student tickets and youth tickets and whatever =/ ???????

Aug 10, 2010 1:28 PM

You're a kid until you are 18.

Anyhow, why would you be worried? Just follow directions and such... what else is there to say?

and about the shootings... damn, that is pretty scary. Don't get on anyone's bad side I guess.

Aug 10, 2010 1:29 PM

skutieos said:
You're a kid until you are 18.

In most places, Nebraska still has an age of majority of 19.

Aug 10, 2010 1:40 PM

This will be my first year of highschool too lol. But all I have to say is....well...keep your spirits up and stay confident with your work and meeting people (I guess...)

Aug 10, 2010 1:41 PM

thanks ^_^

Aug 10, 2010 1:48 PM

ive graduated highschool already butit was tough for the first year since your trying to get use to it but its an oportunity to make some great memories and friends. if theres clubs that you can join in highschool do it itll be great to meet friends and great to put on your resume:D

Aug 10, 2010 1:49 PM

Uniforms are the least of your problems. In fact I wish my high school had them. High school isn't bad. Just don't look in other people's eyes for too long and don't walk around with a scared look on your face. Walk in and from class to class with a confident smile like you WANT to be there. Just too bad this isn't Japan where you can just pick the school you want to go to even if it's on the other side of the country.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »