Forum Settings
Forums

How do you become an Database Admin or Forum Mod?`

New
Aug 7, 2010 8:00 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I would say I've been at MAL for a long time, and I’ve never EVER Violated any terms or had any issues with any of the staff. So I was really hoping deeply that someone would tell me who I would go to about becoming apart of the MAL Staff. I’m online 24/7 so that’s no issue. Can someone please tell me what I need to do? I would LOVE to be a part of the Staff. I’m a Hard Worker, Educated, Willing to work for free(of course) and a Fast Learner. So whaddaya say?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 7, 2010 8:16 AM
Mar 2009
That may be because you've hardly posted here from the looks of it. Also, asking almost always means that you'll never be offered any of the spots, limited and unpaid as they may be. You'll have to wait for the next expansion draft, be a good forum dweller, and hope violently every now and then that a staffer just disappears off the map, like someone seems to have done to Boursk. You've got a chance then, but only if everyone's forgotten that you asked.

Also, for a database admin, qualifications might not hurt, I don't know if they need to handle code, but it couldn't hurt to mention it.

Aug 7, 2010 12:28 PM

Aug 2007
When we are looking for additional Mods, we look for different qualities for a candidate. Mostly, It's all in how you assist with the DB. People that submit anime/manga to the DB, or submit images, adding characters, or DB edits help get you noticed.

Aug 7, 2010 12:40 PM

Nov 2007
Rule of thumb: If you ask, you've disqualified yourself.

You seem pretty enthusiastic about it though. That might get you far if you start following this
Aarana said:
When we are looking for additional Mods, we look for different qualities for a candidate. Mostly, It's all in how you assist with the DB. People that submit anime/manga to the DB, or submit images, adding characters, or DB edits help get you noticed.

As we handle database edits, we gradually come to remember certain names that show up over and over. As of now I don't think there's much urgency for more database mods.

As for being a forum mod, well, there's no denying we need more. But you haven't posted much so...there's hardly any basis to evaluate you on.
Aug 13, 2010 4:33 PM
Sep 2007
Xjellocross said:
Rule of thumb: If you ask, you've disqualified yourself.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with asking something you want to know.

To tell the truth, I too am interested to find out when will be next qualifications for new mods, primarily because anime/manga/people & characters edits sometimes take forever to be confirmed.

I mean, I understand if someone says there's too much work, but, even if there is, just recruit few new mods, preferably ones that spend much time on this site.
After all, MAL is getting bigger by every second, and so is its database, so it's only logical that there should be more members of moderation team.

And yes, I do want to become one of moderators (for anime DB) since it would make my job faster and much more organised, but even if I wouldn't, as long as there would be other new mods who are dedicated and didn't wanted to become moderators just because of title, I'd more than happy.
Aug 13, 2010 5:07 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Most often people who ask are not people that contribute greatly to the database. Just asking to be a moderator isn't enough. You need to demonstrate that you wish to improve the quality of the databases and in doing so, you make yourself known to moderators without needing to ask.

Furthermore, wanting to be a moderator because you're impatient at the speed with which your edits go through does not show a temperament befitting of a moderator. You need to have patience when communicating with users and fellow staff. Also, as a moderator, you don't just do your own thing off in a corner (ie: doing what would be the edits that aren't getting approved fast enough for you now). You need to be a team player, and need to be able to prioritise your tasks into what is important (adding new DB entries, filling out information) and what is not so important (adding and editing character pictures).

Instead of asking to be a moderator, you should be asking where things are lacking and how you can better contribute to the databases.
Aug 13, 2010 5:30 PM

Mar 2007
Simply put; you don't choose to be a mod, we choose you.

Also, use the forum search. Even more reason to do so if you want to be a mod as this question has been asked and answered before.

Thread locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL not support catbox.moe image links?

vasipi4946 - 8 hours ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
8 hours ago

» Got 502 Bad Gateway trying to create topic in Support

vasipi4946 - 8 hours ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3366 by Midoriya_lzuku »»
8 hours ago

» Invalid ID provided.

Zagafon - Sep 10, 2016

2 by Kitsunes97 »»
Today, 9:24 AM

» Sort your list by member count/poularity?

paperkitten - Jun 17, 2010

1 by abdallah929 »»
Today, 7:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.